Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of the konosuba guy, they also do combatants will be dispatched, where an evil Kamen rider type supervillain and his child sidekick android get transported to a fantasy world in order to investigate whether it is worth invading for their evil organization. They can summon any equipment they desire by spending Malice Points, which they get by doing evil deeds (everything from petty insults to over the top brutality) and every. Single. Character. Is a huge rear end in a top hat dipshit, so if you like konosuba, you'll like this

Only issue is the lack of chapters really, but what's there is well worth reading

I like this one, and the dark priestess is the best at dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The title is super misleading with that one. "Chosen to be Prince consort for a warrior queen" would be far more accurate.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wasn't that one of the Isekai BBS heroes' deal? Or rather... he'd go through a portal, do a quest, come back as though no time had passed... and a few days later he'd find another portal. Or sometimes he'd get recursive portals?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No, it really is the genre. It's like asking which MMO all the VR ones crib from.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The anime certainly doesn't have any detailed gore. It tends to go for occasional brutality to reinforce it's horror aspects, with the usual blurry shadows for something that would be excessive.

It's distinctly horror-themed using it's Groundhog-day-esque setup to show Subaru just how badly things can go depending on his actions, but it mostly sticks to Subaru's POV, and he's the one who has the worst things happen to him, so when he'd pass out or die it's up to your imagination what it actually looks like after.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hey, they're not rapists. Just multiple counts of sexual harassment, then running away from any woman with enough free will to ask them for sex.

This is why Sword Dad and Skelton Warrior are good heroes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Galvanik posted:

I was thinking about how I play Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings and wondered, I wonder if there's an isekai version.

Does anyone know if there's a story that's more alt history than fantasy, where there's some immortal protagonist slowly conquering the world over the course of hundreds or thousands of years?

Unmodded Civ games.

"Reincarnated as Queen Victoria at the dawn of civilisation, our people have the secrets of Roads, Pottery and Writing!"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think "A wild last boss appeared" has some comments on how when the world was an MMO there were a large number of people who got incredibly powerful, and people in the current generation who emulate them end up dead. The MC reasons that being able to respawn will do that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've been watching it too. It's cute and fun, but yeah, not much has happened yet. The 10 minute run time doesn't help.

But with episode 3 we've started to see some of the 'school mystery' get developed, with the weird mind-control thing happening to the ones who rebel too much.

I wish I knew what the translation to the opening and closing songs were.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Karate Isekai man knows the fundamentals of unarmed combat.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Kazuma lives in a mansion too (now).

And if Subaru tries to tell him how many times he's died, it's heart-attack time.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

why would you give Darkness a minigun oh god

Don't worry, she can't hit anything.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The ending page of the new sword-dad deserves to be airbrushed on the side of a van, and also be the finishing blow against a powerful enemy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Black Lizard has some good faces. I'm on tablet or I'd crop and post one.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Scourge killed my family! Monster!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nicholas Lyndhurst also did it in the time travel/bigamy comedy series Goodnight Sweetheart.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The next quartet should be Rimuru, slime farmer, witch who killed slimes for 300 years and Shield Hero, who is slimier than all the rest put together.

Alternatively, Rimuru, Kumo, Dragon Egg and Shield Hero. Four monsters arrive.

As for more side characters showing up, I'd like to see Ainz meet Wiz. Lich Party.

And Kumo could just write "Some Pig" in webs to get around communication. The reason it doesn't work for her right now is that none of the people she's met speak Japanese, not a problem here!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Maybe it's going for a "Protagonists are actually kinda psychopaths" thing, where you're dealing with someone who organises their schedule around making a few specific people like them as much as possible, always giving the 'best' answer in a situation etc.

Kinda like how a Harvest Moon style protagonist will give you a turnip every day until you marry them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mygna posted:

The original world of the reverse-isekai protagonist of Dead Mount Death Play seems fun, they should do a spinoff

I didn't know about this, and it turned out to be a fun read. With the occasional lesbian threesome exposition scene out of nowhere.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It would suck if the resurrection was just another thing introduced by isekai'd people. "They say to raise the dead, you need to gather seven dragon balls..."

Then again, in a setting where reincarnation exists... spinoff! The Tempest massacre victims are reincarnted on Earth!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Probably Magic posted:

I'm kinda interested in VRMMOs as a genre, but I was wondering whether there was one that went a little bit more cyberpunk with it and explored the idea of the character you create in the MMO having a life of its own or even somehow gaining control of the player itself. It just always seems to be the theme of these things to focus on the virtual world itself instead of how it can interact with the character's psychology.

It's not that cyberpunk, but A Wild Last Boss Appeared has the MC start inheriting memories of the person his MMO character was.

https://mangadex.org/title/21944/yasei-no-last-boss-ga-arawareta

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

quote:

I'd actually have preferred a low-powered story about a normal exterminator solving problems instead of yet another OPMC who can just waltz into enemy strongholds with a dopey face because they have 500 ST and 400 CON.

Handyman Satou remains a top-tier Isekai for this. His cheat powers are "Received a modern-day college education" and "Owns a modern-day toolbox". The fantasy people are very impressed with reinforced steel wirecutters.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, it's great

Good old War Crimes Isekai (Though since none of the countries involved were Geneva Convention signatories, it's more general shady tactics than actual war crime)

Though her attitude comes across much more clearly in the battle that follows.

"I shouldn't use my power too much, or I'll end up standing out..."
*Knight she knows gets injured*
*heads start exploding*

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think Log Horizon does, but it's to a world with flying mounts and the like, so it's more of a convenience than world-changing.

Also Dr. Stone, though that's "humanity turned to stone for 3000 years" rather than an isekai.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Three chapters in, and https://mangadex.org/title/38472/tenkuu-no-shiro-o-moratta-no-de-isekai-de-tanoshiku-asobitai
A guy reincarnated at the master of a flying castle knows the correct way to handle slavers.

Well, almost.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
What is it with good worldbuilding and sudden titty? First Dead Mount Death Play, now this...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, Bakarina has a few excuses. First of all, she IS really dense.

And second of all, events do happen despite the completely different course things take.

kinks

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That was a fun arc for Balud triumphing by doing nothing. "So, you sent me to strengthen relations with this country and help them sort out their brewing succession war... Well good news! My tomboyish friend and the effeminate prince fell in love, and her skills neatly compliment his weaknesses. Uh... I did something with boats, as well?"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Half-right. She throws snakes at one of the game's love interests, as practice for if she ends up in one of the bad endings for her and needs to escape from him.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I hope they befriend that ghost, and reunite him with his friends.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
But what about your workout routine?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Otherworld Retirement Home?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Siegkrow posted:

I disagree due to the complete lack of any urban-ity.

Suburban fantasy, moving onto the British tradition of the Boarding School Novel.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Watch out for it's navel! That's the source of it's power.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, it seems that before she got Yakuza'd the princess was a bit of a Marie Antoinette.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Venuz Patrol posted:

i will never get enough of the black lizard making betrayed faces

She's disappointed in her boyfriend's weird mammal fetish.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That slime had the audacity to doubt the divinity of WahoWaho. Frankly, they're lucky they didn't end up as a tree or a spider or a pillar of salt or...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Artificer posted:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people?

Maybe this belongs in the other isekai thread? Im not sure.

Saihate no Paladin might be the one you mean? Human boy with memories of a previous life in our world raised by a skeleton, mummy and ghost.

Unwanted Undead Adventurer has a more grim feel, but isn't isekai.

Not to be confused with Unwanted Skeleton, which is Isekai but nowhere near gloomy enough for Souls.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like Dead Mount Death Play a lot, it's very fun and I'm a sucker for reverse isekai. Just watch out reading it in places people can see you, it has a few fairly explicit sex scenes out of nowhere. Turns out lesbian threesomes are the perfect time to exposit?

It's also about sharks. :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus it's not like they've got wikis to share information. A guild wants to keep something secret, they've got a lot more options, from avoiding the 'dungeon cameras' to preparing behind closed doors etc.