Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

This manga is quite fun. Her happily chomping down on that living hydra was kinda terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

In today's Eminence in Shadow we learn how to properly throw a duel so as not to arouse suspicion. "Properly". :allears:

This is really fun, but the main character is somehow one of the most clueless protagonists in the genre. I really want to see an explanation for the fact that this world seems to act exactly like the stupid bullshit he makes up on the spot. To be honest, I don't really get the protagonist. For all he knows, the whole deal with the cult was a farce. But who does he think he's fighting and killing? Some random group who play their own deadly ARG?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I liked how he randomly tossed a dagger at a map to find the underground hideout where his sister was kidnapped to. And when he was there, he wasn't surprised at all to be right.
But I really do like the concept of a person who desperately wants to appear average and nonremarkable but puts so much effort into it that it turns the other way around. I want more of this. Is the LN written and translated okayish?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

khy posted:

When I read it, it wasn't bad - but the MC's overcautiousness kind of came off as him being a total rear end in a top hat though.

That's true in universe.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Galvanik posted:

Can someone direct me to the relevant chapters of Kumo Desi ga, Nani ka or give me synopsis of what those mind images are? I skipped most of the endless level grinding chapters.

Basically, her brain processor has several cores.

She's multithreading. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Never really seen it, but "Lost" is one of the most generic isekais, right?
Also if you are into the ones about power/revenge fantasies, "The count of Monte Cristo" apparently uses those common tropes quite well.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:stare: The time I got stranded in Newark airport was an isekai :stare:

Let me relay the ancient legend of when my train got stuck for 30 minutes earlier today! I continued to sit on my notebook and didn't really mind. The end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

Eventually the conversation ends up reduced to "is this wholesome in your opinion?" apparently.

So, is Peter Pan an Isekai?

Crocodile Dundee is the best the genre has to offer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, we need more isekai about having useful information that could help help make the world a better place but being unable to actually improve it any fashion.

I want it to go one step further. The MC is knowledgeable in stuff like disease control and smugly claims that he can revolutionize the medical system. Except, it turns out that he's an idiot, since in the new world miasma theory and phlogiston is the correct approach and his theories have been disproven ages ago.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Its been long enough since the nethack thread updated that I can't remember if it was an actual thing somebody did, or just something that they could have done if they were really desperate to remain wishless.

Step one was to acquire a belt of gender changing and become a female nethack character. Step two was step on a polymorph trap until you stop polymorphing, as this is a clear sign that you have become a grey dragon. Female grey dragons and some other creatures (cockatrices) can use the sit command to lay eggs. Assuming they aren't dropped in a box or tossed at enemies these eggs will eventually hatch into tame baby dragons. Monsters can gradually gain levels and evolve by killing other monsters. Or you can feed them potions of gain level or wraith corpses. Only adult dragons drop scales, but the odds drop drastically if you resurrect them from the dead. A simple scroll of enchant armor later and you have a brand new set of endgame armor. Having a luckstone is essential if you are going to kill your kids, and it is probably a good idea not to pray any time soon.

Nethack isn't usually like this. No comment on Slash'Em.

That approach is really unnecessary complicated, when you can just wish for the +2 blessed greased dragon chain mail, or the scales. Or you could just let your current pet repeatedly step on the polymorph trap to skip all the bullshit with laying eggs and specifically killing your children.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Most people know how to replicate or make soy sauce and rice or something similiar in isekai where food's a factor in the story but where are the stunt food chefs? I wanna see Japanese versions of state fairs with fried coke an donut bun burgers and other dumb stuff like that.

Of course there is the matter of atainability and reward. Making soy sauce is quite simple and can be a great addition. Producing activated charcoal, just to make your food look black without any real taste difference or notable health benefit is quite a bit of work. Usually you get that stuff from burning and steaming coconut shells, which may not be plentiful in Isekaiplace.
And messing up the recipe by adding ash into it would be gross.

If you appear in a world where they have bread, butter, salad, meat, chese and condiments inventing the sandwich seems kind of natural. Of course, you need to do the process in secret to keep your monopoly.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

In related news, the actually good hell-mode isekai has updated:

https://mangadex.org/title/21b848be-1bfe-4f97-b92c-62d319d8a093/onee-sama-to-watashi-ojou-sama-ga-isekai-tensei

And the people of the world are revealed to have perfectly well thought out reactions to horny isekai dudes dropping into the world.

That was a fun read so far. But those giants have some weird biases which seem to clash with their prophecies. I don't get their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Wholesome is probably not the word I'd use for it but it's very good.

It's about a found family supporting each other on a perilous journey. What could be more wholesome than that?