Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know where to look, has anyone seen any idiot musclehead in an isekai mangas? Most VR MMO ones are all just 'I just want to solo/be left alone' all the time and get invited to group up with other people once it turns out that being able to make your own potions isn't a trash skill for idiots.

Basically, I want a manga about Tomo or Himawari Ranna wrestling bears in an Isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

while it doesn't focus entirely around her, one of the characters in The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans is a Kamina-esque idiot meathead character with absurd power. Like, Superman-esque power. And she only gets more ridiculously strong from there.

Yeah I'm all caught up on that one.

The Spider girl one is still really good too. I can't wait for her to finally get out of the Labyrinth though. My strategy of forgetting about it for 16 months sure paid off though because I had a huge chunk to read through.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khy posted:

Skeleton Knight has a fair amount of that, Arc powers through everything and he doesn't do much crafting.

Also it's not really Isekai, but this is a good one if you like idiot muscleheads.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/magic-muscle-is-much-more-important-than-such-a-thing/

Skeleton Knight has proven to be a pretty good recommendation, though I do wish the main conflict wasn't human trafficking Elves. Reminds me of the part of Overlord where he was just pretending to be a normal adventurer using swords and such.

Dunno where I stumbled across it but Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg - Let's Aim to be the Strongest has been pretty good. I might just be stupid but the artstyle seems pretty novel. Or at the very least it's different from the usual style.

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is the one you want

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

Uhhhh I don’t think this was revealed in the manga yet.

I think they're just talking about Kumoko being a spider instead of a person like your usual isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y'know, they've been pretty solid from what I've found so far. Anyone have more inhuman isekai to recommend? Sword, slime (Not for me personally) , spider, dragon and Spirit Migration were pretty good so if anyone has anymore that I haven't encountered I'd love to know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wouldn't call Harry Potter an Isekai because I'm a pedant about sticking to definitions and the wizard world is in the exact same world as the one all the non-wizards are in. Same for Men in Black. Now, Space Jam? That's an Isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait a minute, is it an isekai if they go to another planet or does it have to be basically an entirely different universe like how most of them are like normal 21st century Earth and then you end up in the middle ages with dragons and poo poo?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

"isekai" literally just means "another world", you can take that as you will, there's no more exact definition than that.

I've seen it used whether it's another dimension, another planet, the distant future, and even sometimes for series that don't actually have a reincarnated character but share all the other genre tropes (Fantasy world with game elements and an OP protagonist, etc).

Oh poo poo, Star Wars is probably the most popular Isekai series ever then!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is my favorite Isekai game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, Monsters Inc was an Isekai

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How badly am I reading Bakarina if I think Katarina's obliviously to turning all the girls into capture targets as well?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

arisu posted:

This is not something the novel goes out of its way to hide from you

I'm reading the manga I kinda got mixed up in the later parts. Like 'wait maybe Mary actually does still have a thing for Alan afterall?' But I might just need to go through it again.

Something like that. But anyway, I found another one that I'm looking forward to seeing more of later.

The Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap It's a lot like +a no tachiichi in that two girls get pulled into another world but there's complete animosity from one as the other has basically tormented them all their life by somehow having sycophants at every turn and never being able to escape her. 'Gimme your doll because I want it' (They're four years old at the time) 'I got lost on a field trip but you're in trouble for not looking after me despite us not being in the same class.' Then once she gets to the other world she finds out that fairies absolutely adore her. Can't get enough of her, so if you're looking for a protagonist of modest skill this ain't it. She immediately blows out some Robosaurus flames while entertaining the idea of possibly casting magic and that was on accident.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khy posted:

Also that vengeful cat one is great, I'm having fun reading it.

Only problem I've got is the standard 'poo poo, I wish I'd found this three years from now rather than now when there's so few chapters' and that I wouldn't mind if 5 chapters had been collected together at a time because they're pretty short.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Please post about good isekai you like, not bad isekai you want to dunk on, in this, the good isekai for people who like isekai thread.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. They're a lot of weird ideas and I had to share those with more people, because 'oops, I became a hot spring' is such a goofy idea on its face.

Anyway, good isekai you like, back on track.

I dunno about good but I enjoy it,

My Entire Class Was Summoned to Another World except for Me

As it sounds, MC's class got summoned to another world but because it was a summoning circle and he was in the corner of the classroom asleep he didn't get pulled in. Didn't stop him from getting magic like everyone else though. Since Galvanik was asking about if there was anything weird in the thing they were reading I'll just be up front and tell you there's a minor part to it that his stepsister seems into him but, considering the reason seems to be that he'd constantly be protecting her from bullies, it's hard to tell if it's a bad sign or just high standards. Chapter 9 is the worst it's been so if you can handle that then you'll be good- granted they're only 12 chapters atm.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/462171/1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I reincarnated as a necromancer but my Priest subclass means I have an army of rejuvenating skeletons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I Was Reincarnated But For Some Reason I Don't Have a Physical Form

I Was Reincarnated As The Concept Of Deus Ex Machina

I Got Summoned Wrong And Only Half Of Me Came Through The Portal. Luckily A Dwarf Built Me Prosthetics Out Of Orichalcum

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap finally had updates.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/558795/1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have to wonder what's up with the stock explanation constantly being 'died of overwork and stress' or 'hit by a truck' since it doesn't really matter you'd have to assume they'd be getting creative at some point but those are the most popular despite how long the genre's been going at least from what I've seen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

(it's a euphemism for suicide irl, usually, and the most common attributed reason for death of men above 20)

Oh, I did not realize that. Okay, complaint withdrawn!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sadly we can't all be so lucky as to have a translation team as efficient as the Kengan Asura team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Otome Isekais also have the advantage of not having the protagonist get shoved into say, oh I don't know, a bunnygirl or a nun habit or swimsuit for some reason. Granted, the few I've seen have mostly just been focused on the 'deny Fate and avoid my predetermined death' to go beyond anything else but still, that's a nice bonus on top of things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

arisu posted:

I was reincarnated into a world where I punched every slaver in the face

Still waiting on licensed Isekai. I wanna see Ryu and Frank Castle transported to another world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Harem Isekai but the twist is they're reincarnated as Genghis Khan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isekai'd into Metal Gear Solid

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

arisu posted:

How the gently caress do so many of these teens know the production method of soy sauce?

With how much else is going on, the idea that people may've watched a How It's Made episode on Soy Sauce just whooshes right over my head.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/nichegamer/status/1124507075453886464?s=19

Skynet? More like Skyrim.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So it's clickbait.

Nipponophile posted:

That's isekai in a nutshell.

"SEXY BEASTGIRLS!" "SLAVE HAREM!" "DEMON LORD DOES THE UNEXPECTED!"

You could probably pick a random tabloid headline and have an isekai concept ready-made.

We've had an isekai where a guy became a hot spring and I'm half sure there's one of a guy turned into a vending machine. It's really easy to believe anything at this point.

Imagine if like, the YuruYuri cast got pulled into Pokemon season 1/ Red/Yellow/Blue.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess some 4chan guy uploaded it against the translator's wishes. the translator hosts his stuff on https://www.boredomsociety.xyz/titles/info/22

Cool, I didn't know they were up like nine updates already.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

In the latest dad is a hero, mom is a spirit, I am a reincarnator, a dark twist happens as father is struck a fatal blow

This is worse than Pokkle's death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragon egg isekai finally updated again.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/629464/1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

I started reading Reign of the Hunters and found this gem:

Chinese players were veterans when it came to games that required much investment in terms of time and money but offered little content to the players.

I thought that was Korea's thing?

Edit: and the first guild she runs into is goonsquad (spring rain guild).

I thought gacha games were Japan's thing though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What is the most profitable isekai and why is it Superman?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Argas posted:

A lot of things can be considered isekai-esque if you massage language hard enough and squint at text a lot.

Luckily Space Jam is just an isekai for all intents and purposes and my favorite example to use as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Has Isekai Quartet had anyone who was just playing an MMO get pulled in? Might see Maple or Lafusu if that thread ends up followed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

Bakarina: https://mangadex.org/chapter/655815/1

That's weird, the way I remember it in the WN it was Mary who was her friend from her previous life.

It's a whole Doki Doki roundtable!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, people are more concerned with the brutality of the deaths than how they function.

Re:Zero is the Undertale of Isekai anime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waiting on an Otome game Isekai where the resolution is the Villainess changing her ways (slightly) and stealing the Heroine's heart for herself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waiting on the isekai of the man who steals slaves to stockpile them on a floating base out in neutral waters, free from any oversight.

Also he's got an eye patch and a robot arm and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also maybe dumpster a lot of these cheat isekai that don't focus on them doing more than punching dragons? Like say, just women focused ones that don't stumble over the 'sexy costumes for reasons!' branch right into a custard pie.

So, just so I'm not just making empty stupid comments like usual:

Different World Hospitality Meals The plot of this one seems to be new world and you're just cooking meals for people.

I'm looking here, maybe one of these that I skipped looks interesting to someone else.
https://isekaicentral.com/index.php/category/femaleprotag/