Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I didn't notice these being mentioned.

The Amber Sword

Guy gets transported into a world exactly like his favorite fantasy vrmmo, but before the events of the game take place so it ends up playing out as more of a "second chance" plot, if you're familiar with those. Game elements are a thing and I have less than zero patience for that poo poo at this point but it's pretty easy to scroll past those paragraphs. For some reason he also has MTG powers. :shrug:
The novel does a pretty good job of making it feel like the main character is just barely scraping by in terms of strength, despite being pretty dang strong there are threats that he simply can not deal with head on which force creative solutions or just running away. There's some fun politics stuff, the supporting cast is above average, but on the other hand the writing style is dreadful to read in the early chapters.

It's not my favorite wn but I haven't dropped it like I have so many others and I do think there are some fun/cool scenes and characters in it.

Trash of the Counts Family is a much better novel but I don't feel like doing a writeup for it. Just know that the protagonist is a huge tsundere which is very charming. Fantasy setting.

Library of Heavens Path It's an isekai even if that doesn't matter outside of the first few chapters but I like it so I'll post it dammit! It's a comedy cultivation thing. Only tells one joke but I keep finding it funny, ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Uncomfortable and violent things happen in Re:Zero but they never felt gratuitous to me. For comparison I ended up eventually dropping Overlord because it crossed the line in ways Re:Zero doesn't.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

FLUFF

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Gensou Gourmet
A businessman gets isekaied and uses his job experience and knowledge as a consultant for a noble house to great success.
The story actually takes place after all that garbage and it's mostly about him using his wealth to travel around and eat fantasy delicacies.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

okay so it's not isekai but I think villainess stuff counts

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I wasn't too sure about this manga but the second chapter has definitely sold me on it. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

New series Necromance. Only one chapter translated and I have no idea if it will be good but the premise is pretty fun and the one chapter we do have is worthwhile even if you treat it as a oneshot.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I stopped reading the Eminence in Shadow WN because it wouldn't do a different joke ever, and continued to escalate the situation and power level while doing so. I would have liked to see the protagonist realizing that seriously bad stuff was happening and desperately trying to maintain his image as a competent leader, that direction has a ton of potential for comedy. I'm imagining him facing off against some foe in a cold sweat as he desperately tries to come up with some absurd solution, unable to run away because of his web of lies. Instead, the genre veers hard into power fantasy and he is always the strongest, most competent, and most well informed. The idea that he didn't know what he was doing started to just feel stupid.
Still had good moments even when it was getting bad and was pretty fun for a while.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Looks like it was pulled from mangadex.

I can see it just fine :shrug:

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I've been really enjoying Beware of the Villainess lately. Has some amazing faces and the pace of releases has been ridiculous. While it's not bakarina tier I think it's worth looking at if you, like me, can't get enough villainess isekai.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

It just keeps getting better? I was not expecting this when she asked for an introduction to a swordmaster but it's the best direction it could have gone, imo.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Latest chapter of Beware of the Villainess is outstanding.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I've been enjoying Virtues of the Villainess lately.
Ginger Tort has lived her life getting completely outfoxed by her rival Lerajie (every translater spells her name differently), but she discovers a novel that depicts the events of her own life, and a future where Lerajie seduces the crown prince. Ginger decides to take advantage of her knowledge from the novel to finally gain the upper hand and seduce the prince for herself.
It features a decent mystery and plenty of humor that I would say mostly lands. It's worst aspect is probably being a bit slow paced. Best aspect is how thirsty Ginger is.

Should mention it's absolutely not isekai but it shares enough tropes with the villainess subgenre I thought it worth posting about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

New Yakuza Reincarnation