Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onean posted:

the most recent calls the MC "the loli-jew"

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s the name of the sword dad manga? I would like to read it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bakanogami posted:

Those two are usually the two I'd recommend first, unfortunately.

They're less typical examples of the genre, but No Game No Life and Hataraku Maou-Sama/The Devil is a Part Timer both have anime good enough I'd recommend them to people. That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime isn't quite as good imo but is more representative of the genre as a whole if that's what you're looking for.

No Game No Life can get incredibly skeevy. I would not recommend it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

linall posted:

Where else would a tree nut keep it's milk?

The fridge, probably

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Katreus posted:

The Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess is adorable. The contract princess is cute, and the Duchess is very cool (also her fashion sense is amazing) as is her entire family. The whole found family theme is very heartwarming.

This is really good and compelling

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think a blanket ban on works where the main character owns a slave, even briefly, might be a good idea. If anything, it’ll at least prevent derails where people try to adjudicate the work in question

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

khy posted:

Weird question to ask : I don't play Otome games, so I don't know.

Is it a common trope in Otome games for all women except the MC to be horrible, conniving, evil bitches who delight in tormenting men to an absurd degree?

I started reading an Isekai about an Otome Game because it also has mecha fights in it, and I thought the juxtaposition between dating sim and mecha game was absurd, but the manga treats almost all the women in the world as evil horrible hags taking advantage of men and sending them off to die for money, that kind of poo poo. I'm wondering if it's a common trope to those kinds of games, or if the author's just misogynistic.

The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

That’s not an Otome game trope

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Siegkrow posted:

Is Digimon Adventure an Isekai?

Technically, yes. 02 and Tamers aren’t. Frontier absolutely is.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jaiminis Box was a big player in the scanlation group/mangadex slapfight, too. They seem to be a but too willing to slapfight

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Found this recently: A Stepmother's Fairytale

It's about a young woman who was married off (while pretty young) to a nobleman who died soon after. She was left to care for his kids until the oldest was able to take the place of the head of the family, and, while she is able to do that, her relationship with those kids and her reputation end up being awful. She finds herself transported nine years back to when she was 16, at her husband's funeral, and takes the chance to do it better this time.

It really is a good read! It's heartwarming and there's a lot of courtly politics/intrigue going on while she tries to connect with her kids and deal with scheming family members

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Eponymous posted:

Link is broken for me? Can I get the series name

The Littlest Princess

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The wholesome isekai thread: so a lady tries to gently caress a wolf...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
“Wholesome isekai” is an unattainable goal and really the two threads should be rolled into one

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Where should I go if I want to read Ascendence of a Bookworm?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

darkgray posted:

I read some of the web novel, but gave up after a while, mostly because the author spent three times as many pages on cooking than on dungeon exploration.

Sometimes it feels like that’s what goons would prefer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s almost like the “Wholesome” title is a misnomer and the thread should probably be renamed

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yurisekai

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what would be the point of a manga without fancy dresses?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Merge the wholesome isekai and the trash isekai threads. Call it Isekai: Hoping This One Doesn’t Have Child Brides

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Baseball Isekai knows how to end a chapter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Clarste posted:

I remember in high school chemistry the teacher did a class early in the semester where they taught us all about phlogiston and how it explains all the properties of fire. While dressed up in renaissance cosplay. And of course all the smart-asses in the class kept trying to say "no, it's actually oxygen!" but since they couldn't think of an experiment to prove it, the teacher destroyed them with alchemist logic. And then the class ended with a lecture on the importance of the scientific method as opposed to just memorizing a list of facts. That was probably the most memorable class I've ever had.

That rules

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Brought To You By posted:

This baseball Isekai has devolved into full on bullying.

I thought he was going to just intentionally walk her to mess with her. This is good too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

golden bubble posted:

It's nice to see a Isekai where advanced future knowledge is actually advanced. In Isekai Yakkyoku, the protag's cheat skill allows him to create substances by visualizing their molecular formula.

Why is there a naked lady when he thinks about molecules

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m always surprised by how much I like The Ideal Sponger Life. I guess courtly politics is my jam

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phobophilia posted:

im absolutely okay with artists pulling from asset libraries for backgrounds. composing a scene with these things is itself an art form

alot of artists will outright take a photograph and put it through a filter and touch it up to composite with their actual drawings

Yeah, art is tough and time consuming and having something that reduces the time spent on it isn’t bad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Wholesome Isekai Thread: Desperately Hoping That This One Doesn’t Have Incest

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kwyndig posted:

What's wrong with the Lord of Darkness? He's got good stats and can take over the world

He has bad breath

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what is a cultivator? I don’t actually know the origin of the term/trope

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think part of it is actually because of Chinese propaganda. Webnovels have tons of restrictions on what is acceptable. You can't have works that have supernatural elements unless it uses "science" to explain it. (psuedoscience bullshit is ok as long it has chinese origins though). Having a modern day setting is asking for trouble from the censors, and china has banned historical settings too.

Having a setting full of Chinese culture stuff where there isn't a central government to oppose bypasses most of the censor issues. (Also, a lot of them are pro-genocide too, even supposedly characters that are pacifists will suddenly be completely ok with massacring a race of sentient people because they are the enemies of humanity.)

Just being pedantic, but that’s a result of Chinese censorship, not propaganda

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Speaking of web novels, my Barnes and Noble recently got over a hundred copies of some Chinese web novels. They’ve been selling pretty well. It’s the first book for three different series, all fantasy and at least one of them is BL. I can’t remember their names right now but I work tomorrow so I’ll post them then

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jayme posted:

These would be the novels by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (aka MXTX) - they're all danmei, or BL, and they are all worth a look, at least! I especially enjoyed Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu), but The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation (Mo Dao Zu Shi) is also really popular - the TV series The Untamed is based off it, although they removed all the explicit flirting and pining :( Her first work actually fits in this thread - it's an isekai danmei called The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System (Ren Zha Fanpai Zijiu Xitong). If you can't tell, I really love all her works - this is the first time they've gotten an official English translation iirc, so I'm really excited :)

Yeah those ones! We’re nearly sold out of Scum Villain’s

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Everything Burrito posted:

are people buying it more or was the stock lower? All 3 made the NYT bestseller list but Scum Villain was like 14 while the other two were in the top 10 so it didn't seem to be *quite* as popular.

All of them got adaptions but the Scum Villain one was cgi and made with a budget of approximately $2.50 and had a really weird, abrupt ending that didn't even get to all the scenes hinted at in the opening animation, whereas MDZS and Heaven Official had really nice animation and were a lot more accessible to watch as well (on top of the live action show), so it's not terribly surprising that they would be the hotter novels if people are more familiar with them from the shows.

e: I haven't started reading them yet but I think I'm going to start w/Scum Villain because the donghua was really lackluster and imo didn't represent the story and characters that well, like I didn't really care about them much while I was watching it and wasn't that invested, and I felt like that was more the fault of the adaption than the story itself.

Probably got a smaller stock of it. I didn’t check what out best sellers this week were, we were way too busy to get a chance to do that.

The top seller list is interesting because there’s a handful of books that rotate the top spot. It’s more often “which of these titles could we get in stock” than “which of these titles is the most popular” (for example, the YA book They Both Die At The End is probably going to have more sales this week than Chainsawman volume 1. This isn’t because it’s necessarily more popular, but because we literally sold out of every volume of Chainsawman we had last week)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ew, tokyopop

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Barnes and Noble I work at just shrank the fantasy section so we could have more space for light novels. Now, I don’t think we sell nearly as many lns as we do volumes of manga (we can barely keep Chainsaw Man and Demon Slayer on the shelves) but Light Novels is now an official section of the store with its own signs rather than a subsection of Manga.

I guess I’m taking a meandering path to saying that buying physical volumes is an option too, if you’re looking for a more popular series

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

This is probably my favorite explanation for why someone knows something useful when they were isekaid. “My nerd sister wouldn’t shut up about military structure”

Source is A Tale of Small Town Hardship in Sengoku Era, a teenager is sent from the present to the Sengoku era and starts working for Oda Nobunaga, inventing things from the present

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onean posted:

Excuse me.

What is captain orc from, I need to know

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Dad of Light is a good (live action) show that uses an mmo as a framing device/narrative tool, I recommend people check it out

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kwyndig posted:

I loved that show, it combined my two loves of romance and MMOs. Man do I like romance stories for an asexual.

Too bad about the director being a humongous bigot.

You can read the original story, at least

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bongo Bill posted:

I tell you what, though, that guy sure loves his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m partway through the second Ascendance of a Bookworm book and I really love Myne and Lutz’s dynamic. Lutz being super proud that he’s the only one who can make sure that Myne doesn’t overwork herself is just so cute