Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Enjoying Pochi Kuro, thanks for the rec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The translation is a bit rough at times but The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is really loving good. ch. 15 came out like 7 hours ago and caught my eye.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure she explicitly got a "your conscience doesn't care anymore lol" skill or something of that nature before. If they lean into that it's good imo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thats what i thought too

If thats not what they're talking about please don't correct us

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wrong way to use healing magic is one of my favorite isekais because it doesn't feel beholden to a lot of the secondary tropes that have come to be associated with Isekai. The main character having a mentor (who has her own motivations and character and is willing to impose on him), and having to train instead of just grinding goblins or whatever did a lot for me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

New chapter of Destruction Flag Otome

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I appreciate how utterly alien Kumo looks in the new Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am apparently a complete sucker for "Reincarnated as the Villainess" isekais and will read literally every one offered to me

Rebirth of the Villainess: The Life of Letizia after the Engagement Annulmentit's only the first half of chapter 1 but the other translation looks like it was written by google translate

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd ask why there are so many except i'm apparently the exact audience for it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sindai posted:

New Ultimate Defense Girl: https://mangadex.org/chapter/591904/1

In which it becomes the most realistic VRMMO manga when the game's developers directly target nerfs at the protagonist :lol:
that rules

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there an isekai where the main character never actually played the game before

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I was specifically thinking of all the isekai where they use their knowledge of the game to change things to their benefit and wondered about one where they didn't actually know much and every half-remembered game thing they tried to exploit ended up backfiring

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Why spider manga so slow

I’m catching up after like >6 months and it has barely gotten any further.

You should complain about how slow it is more often

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

its hard to play trpgs on the train to work

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

spider isekai is late and i might just give the web novel another try

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Faraway Paladin continued to be the best Isekai, though it doesn't use its isekai elements for anything really.

However it does use emotions well.
Faraway Paladin integrates the resurrection aspect of isekai into its cosmology, and Will's memory of his past life directly informs his values and faith, explicitly leading him to reject the god of undead and instead become a follower of the goddess of death. Unless "isekai elements" is shorthand for "invents soap to get rich" this statement is pretty baffling to me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

when the goddess of death asks him why he rejected the offer of undeath, he literally says with his mouth that it was because of his memories of his past life

yeah, the story would work without the isekai elements, as long as you completely rewrote his character?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Faraway Paladin being an escapist fantasy for losers isn't subtext, its text. there's nothing cynical about it, thats 100% the point, and the impact of the story would change massively if his previous life was in the same world, even if he was still a loser

escapism is like the #2 purpose for isekais to begin with (#1 being power fantasy)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i've heard enough covers that i object to the inherent premise that good songs would be popular no matter who actually performed them

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

I have come to discover that I really like the genre that is "I was reincarnated into an otome game as the villainess, who is the daughter of a Duke and engaged to the Prince, except the Prince falls in love with the Heroine who is merely a commoner and/or baroness, breaks the engagement, and then I get disowned and/or killed and I want to stop this from happening or at least mitigate the damage so I can live a quiet life."

Unfortunately, despite there being dozens of stories with this exact premise, there isn't a tag for it on mangadex?! Can anyone recommend any stand out ones? I've probably already read the most popular ones, but I certainly can't remember all their names anyway, so any recommendation would help.
have you read Survive as the Hero's Wife?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and then less than 10 chapters in he gets some slaves.
good to know i can cross it off my list

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

where's my underground railroad isekai

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

It seemed more like they did have a food culture, just one that believed that the way they cooked was the only way to do things and prioritized that over trying to find alternatives. The known recipe keeps them alive, and they view that as enough. It wasn't that no one ever considered removing the scum, they thought the scum must contain important nutrients so you have to keep it in there.

It's still somewhat contrived, but not as much as no culture.
literally every culture fiddles with their food until it tastes good to them, one way or another

i'd respect these types of stories a lot more if the protagonist did that "let me show you savages how to cook" thing and they all thought it tasted like poo poo. that's cultural differences, "i never considered making the food taste good" is just lovely

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been an isekai where the protagonist introduces the steam engine? That's one thing that really would change the world and isn't as complicated as you'd think, but they're always messing with gunpowder or curry or double entry accounting.
the heroine of Offense and Defense in Daites has trains developed

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Villainess! Shoujo Ai! Isekai!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

heroine: better stay away from the villainess so i dont share her punishment
also heroine: oh no shes hot

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

How about an isekai where he's reincarnated into a different isekai. Guy gets hit by a truck, wakes up as someone else, steps outside and then gets hit by a truck again, then gets reincarnated into a fantasy setting.
isekai speedrun

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

its a shame the translator insists on this trap poo poo because it looks like the author wrote a trans couple and gave them a relatively happy ending

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Soon d'Rey...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It hasn't updated in a year, even on their site

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And by "a year" i mean 2 months because i misread the date on their site

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bakarina ch. 22

Maria: "All the good in my life came from you, i want to stay by your side forever"
Katarina: "wow there was a friendship end???"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I was thinking about what my top tier ones are and they're the ones that are basically just fantasy stories rather than strictly isekai manga: Retired Heroes, Faraway Paladin, The Wolf Won't Sleep, and S-Rank Daughter
your top isekai are 1 isekai and 3 not-isekai?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

If the last page is anything to go by, it is also Part 1 of a story. Anyone knows if this is a novel adaptation?
it is a web novel, and yeah theres a sequel

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Syritta posted:

What's the sequel called? I don't see it on novel updates.
sequel may not be the right word, its just on the same page as part 1

here

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aeric and Artis should gently caress already

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It helps that the heroine isnt presented as a villain

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This time I will definitely be happy just ended

Adbot