Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I just finished reading through what's been released of Endo and Kobayashi’s Live Commentary on the Villainess
https://mangadex.cc/title/38123/endo-and-kobayashis-live-commentary-on-the-villainess

It's not strictly an isekai, but the premise is that two high school students (guy and girl) are commentating on an otome game and one of the main characters in there can hear them. They decide to use this to their advantage and make sure everyone gets a happy ending, especially the villainess, who similar to Katarina dies in all but one of the routes but is more of a tragic, misunderstood girl than outright villainess. Unfortunately, she's cursed with being a Soon D'rey.

It's actually got some actual depth to it, for example, the high school dude has a backstory of loving playing baseball but ended up getting a career-ending injury trying to push himself to the limit. He didn't want to continue playing because he knew he'd end up hating the sport, but also didn't want to completely give it up. The main girl pointed out to him that it's still possible to participate in the sport even without being a player, like being coach or a commentator. He really appreciates her for this, and thus their relationship has way more to it than 90% of other romances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
E: Bakarina Spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 12, 2020

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Japanese doesn't have many direct insults, only progressively ruder ways to call someone "you" (since the language and culture is usually very particular about correct forms of address based on social standing), so most slurs/insults/swears are inserted by translators based on context.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I checked out The Tale of the Noble Girl Who Will go to a Monastery After her Engagement Annulment from the otome villainess anthology and it was super good. Wish it had a bit of a continuation.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Read through Fortune or Woe, it's good.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah I really wasn't blown away even though this is literally one of my favorite tropes in the world: fantasy turns out to be sci fi

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Sestze posted:

certainly a descriptive title.

The horrors of selective breeding.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Not exactly an isekai but adjacent to it, Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess has a wonderful use of "support magic" by the otome game's main character:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Have there been no updates to Witch's Servant?

LorneReams posted:

UGGGG, I'll just tell her it ended then and they all lived happily ever after. The show got her through a deep depression and I don't want to ruin that for her.

Sucks that you have to do that, but good on you.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Do you like isekai? Do you like xianxia genre? Do you like isekai protagonists who, gasp, retain modern morality including but not limited to:
  • Thinking slavery is bad
  • Thinking sexually assaulting women is bad
  • Thinking cheating on your significant other is bad
  • Thinking assaulting and challenging random people to death matches is bad
  • Thinking slaughtering random people just because they don't have qi or whatever it is cultivators have is bad
Do you like protagonists who are just swell dudes who want to do good by their friends and family? Do you like protagonists who look at the sociopathic way of life cultivators have and decided "gently caress this" and went off to build a farm? Do you like a colorful supporting cast who act like real people and have their own goals and drives? Do you like chickens?

Then I recommend Beware of Chicken

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/beware-of-chicken-xianxia.910799/

quote:

In which a transmigrator decides the only winning move is to get the hell out of dodge.

I've really enjoyed reading this. Very good combination of humor, fighting, and wholesomeness. The isekai part gets attention because the protagonist obviously wants to bring in some modern things, but it doesn't overshadow it because he's realistically limited to what he knows as a mostly average joe and some concepts were already known by the world. While the protagonist just wants to build a farm, it doesn't fade into "nothing happens at all" mediocrity because attention is given to how hard just being a farmer is (even if being superhuman helps a ton), as well as the conflicts that come from wandering cultivators. The characters are all fun to read about and their interactions are both very human and also great.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nemo2342 posted:

The numbers in this one are just absurd. At one point he's killing 100 goblins a day, and later on he wipes out 10,000 in a month.

That's pretty Xianxia TBH.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nihilarian posted:

because she's a girl

Where is this revealed because I must know.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
That doesn't really change much TBH?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Just wanna let you know you're on a forum and not Discord. :) Should fix those spoilers.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

I've started reading Not-Sew-Wicked Stepmom/ I'm Only a Stepmother, But My Daughter is Just So Cute! After putting it off for a while and it's actually a fun one. It's got that Beware the Villainess, If You Lay a Hand on My Brother, You're All Dead, energy to it.

Lots of very good expressions from Abigail throughout it.

I know it's not that kind of manga, but going from Spy X Family and how strong a character Anya is to this I do wish the daughter, Blanche had more screentime. She seems like a good kid but that's all I feel like I've got so far.

Can second this rec, it's pretty cute and good and apparently later on the female "rival" gets into a lesbian relationship with an expy of the Little Mermaid so I'm looking forward to that.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ragnar34 posted:

Oh hell yeah. Muh boy Rentt will gently caress poo poo up.

That other spoiler aside, the """rival""" rules. There's just something about her that makes her impossible to see as a credible threat on any front, and it makes her machinations endearing. She goes for the throat but the most she can seem to get out of Abigail is matronly concern.

I also really like the maids, but that's another story.

The maids are great too and (spoilers for the fan translated bit that Tapas hasn't gotten to yet) her falling for Abigail because Abigail just keeps treating her with kindness is really good. Way better than the typical "irredeemable female love rival acts like an rear end in a top hat forever" in other works.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you want good non-isekai fantasy, my favorite recently has been The Spark in Your Eyes. It's about a pharmacist from a recently conquered nation that moves into the empire to find work, and ends up being contracted to assist in treating a rare illness being suffered by the general that conquered his lands. It's a competent romance, but what really hooked me about it was how deftly it explored themes of racism, loyalty, and vengeance. really good art, too

it's also got a lady knight in it, and i do so love when a lady knight is visibly larger and more muscular than the other women and most of the other men in the cast

How gay is it? That pic of what I assume is the lady knight and a maid(?) Is getting my hopes up.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Not very. That's her sister.

Ah well.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What's that about?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I stopped reading for whatever reason but not because it was bad. He does sure love his wife.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

maltesh posted:

At any rate, thanks to the thread for the recommendation on The Holy Grail of Eris. Wound up burning through the first three volumes of that over the past couple weeks and enjoyed it.

Is that gay in any way? Or is it a het romance?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean it's not entirely unrealistic given what happened in 2016 with an old MMO game called Tibia.

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-12-years-one-player-has-exposed-the-truth-behind-this-mmos-biggest-mystery-and-it-sucks/

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Elfface posted:

Supposedly, 'secret techniques' are still very much a thing in the Japanese speedrunning communities, where if a group discovers a new glitch they'll keep it secret as long as possible to use it for a new record.

And as for unique worldbosses and content unlocks, my favourite tale of such will always be Asheron's Call. To quote from Cracked

"Turbine ran a year-long story triggered by players shattering precious crystals, because chasing shiny objects and killing things are all MMO gamers ever do. Unless you want them to in which case they'll do the exact opposite. The "Defenders of the Shard" set up camp around the sixth and final crystal, the Shard of the Herald, the prison of Bael' Zhaeron, Hopeslayer, and nicknamed it Harry.

Twenty-four hours a day they defended it against other players and sacrificed themselves to it, because Asheron's Call monsters can level up by killing players. The Harry Krishnas impaled themselves on His Spikiness until He was practically invincible.

This one group was holding up the next update for every server of the entire game. The developers had to step in, and in the awesome manner of movie bad guys they stepped down to fight the players on their own level. Instead of simply rewriting the crystal as gone, they appeared in-game as mythical characters and called two high-level players to join their attack.

These players had completed an earlier quest making them indebted to the story's cause but, brilliantly, one had already defected and was now a Disciple of Harry. The admins donned their epic weapons, sallied forth and got their asses kicked. They were killed by their own players in a world they'd built, making this officially a science-fiction movie. Twenty Turbine staff watching on a break-room screen were treated to players jumping up and down on the admin's corpses. Because Asheron's Call doesn't have a crouch button.

Worse, Harry had resisted command level instructions to power down. The staff joked that He had attained sentience. Understand: If a computer program ever escapes and kills us it won't be because of the military, it'll be because gamers trained it to. The staff tried again. And again. They got third time lucky in their own game, and instead of banning people they paid tribute to their valiant foes. The Thistledown server got a unique monument, the "Shard Vigil Memorial," honoring the players who had kicked the company's rear end for so long."

poo poo like this is always so cool.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Jagged Jim posted:

I wish actually playing MMO's were even a tiny percentage as fun as all these crazy stories make them out to be.

It's much like real life, there's a ton of boring/mundane stuff that's occasionally punctuated by the most batshit events to occur.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, because PvPers are all portrayed as absolutely insane psychopaths for the crime of engaging with the mechanics the game has. Unless of course they are some sort of noble Player Killer Killer.

I think that's mostly a product of SAO's legacy (along with its "MMO becomes real" copycats) where doing PvP for fun when it actually does result in the deaths of people in real life means you're in some way hosed in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
People are absolutely willing to do simple/repetitive/mindnumbing logistics stuff like mining or transportation for others' benefit as long as they can see the fruits of their labor in action, I feel. Foxhole is a great microcosm of it.