Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It's too boring for a thread that has ".hack" in the title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Er, how did Wolf Doesn't Sleep end up in the "wholesome" thread anyway. I love the web novel, and he writes pretty fast.

For people who like it, the original web novel author has a couple of other highly regarded fantasy series out and completed!

Meikyuu no Ou (King of the Labyrinth)

Henkyou no Roukishi (Old Knight of the Borderlands)

The latter has a manga adaptation too, it seems.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

khy posted:

This might sound a bit odd, but are there any Isekai series out there where the protagonist genuinely wants a challenge and declines a cheat (Besides Karate Baka)? I'm so bored seeing 'slow life' repeated ad nauseum when I do searches. I'd like a protagonist who knows he's going to have to work hard to succeed and is eager for the challenge.

The current Yearly #1 ranker on Narou is called Hell Mode and is basically about a guy who's sick and tired of ez mode games and decides to find a new online game for hardcore gamers like himself, picking the hardest settings and class on a website form, and instantly gets reincarnated in a fantasy world with a game-like system controlling everything. His choices makes him need 100x more experience points to level up (skills, stats, etc), so he's in for quite a grind. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Personally I lost interest after about 35 chapters, but lots of people seem to enjoy it, given its ranking. No clue about translations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fallorn posted:

This was it it was much more wholesome than most isekais and I wish there were more than 20 chapters.

The light novel is being released by JNC, if you're interested in getting more immediately.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Siegkrow posted:

I've been thinking. A lot of the Villainess isekai seem to have this concept of predetermination, that the plot won't change no matter what they do, even when there are obvious signs that it is changing.
I also know that a lot of isekai novels tend to "follow the leader" so to speak, mindlessly copy what came before because it was succesful.

Anyone knows what was the OG villainess isekai?

Many seem to attribute it to Kenkyo Kenjitsu, which was one of the fastest growing web novels Narou's ever seen, back when it was getting new chapters daily in 2013. It made it all the way up to #2 on the all-time rankings, beaten only by Mushoku Tensei.

Since it went on indefinite hiatus in late 2017 it's been slowly falling down the charts, though. I still consider it one of my absolute favourites, and would recommend it highly in spite of the fact that it'll probably never be finished. Although it's hard to say whether it was the absolute first of its kind, its popularity is most likely what started the villainess wave.

It's also notorious for being the only Narou top ranker to never be turned into a light novel or manga, since the author was so secretive that publishers couldn't make contact, according to rumours. No twitter account, no blog entries, no replies to reader comments, no nothing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I read some of the web novel, but gave up after a while, mostly because the author spent three times as many pages on cooking than on dungeon exploration.

Can't recall seeing anything like "retard" in the Japanese text, but it's been a few years now.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Kortel posted:

I really don't get why slavery is in so much of these Mangas.

I guess it's a cheap way to add an early secondary character? There's a degree of immediate "trust" established because there's often some kind of magic involved enforcing mastery, and slaves don't have any connections to society, so the party still stays "isolated" and can do its own thing. Plus it's easy to come up with tragic back stories for slaves, and you can have the protagonist show how super nice and Japanese he is without any traces of racism at all.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I haven't read the novel/manga, but if she's literally the only one with dark skin, doesn't it make her more of a mutant in their eyes than just a different race? Like if a single human child on earth was suddenly born with green skin, I wouldn't really think of it as racism to be freaked out about it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

it's not on mangadex yet but the last two chapters of The Wolf Won't Sleep went up. Bummer that that's all there is of it. Guess I'll keep suggesting the LN on Seven Seas' survey, they've got a whole imprint just for novels now so maybe there's a shot.

The LN was cancelled after 4 volumes, so I'm not sure if there's a point in licensing that either. You'll have to turn to the original WN, which will probably still be completed.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I think it's a puzzling licensing choice simply for the fact that the author already got burned once for hating the Chinese, ending up with the anime adaptation for New Life+ being cancelled. Why reopen up that can of worms?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Just noticed Dungeon Sherpa seems to have some scanlated chapters out, and as a reader of the original web novel, I can verify it's really nice. Plain non-isekai fantasy dungeon crawler, about a young man who had to give up his career as an adventurer and pick a safer job as a "sherpa", guiding other parties around the dungeon instead, when his alcoholic dad dies and he's left to care for his baby sister. One day the beautiful Hero of the East and her party comes to town with the aim to clear the entire dungeon from its final boss, and our protagonist is dragged along for the ride.

The story shares a few similarities with DanMachi in that it has dungeon-centered towns and a kind of levelling system maintained by a goddess, but not quite as hands-on. And the romance moves a lot faster. Looks to have 2 volumes / 11 chapters out so far as manga, so hopefully the scanlators will try to catch up. With some luck the publishers might even give us a few more LN volumes too.

Edit: I belatedly realised this is technically the wrong thread, since there's no earth transportation involved, but then it also has magical levels and poo poo, and the "wholesomeness" of the family thing made this seem a good fit, so uh.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 11, 2020

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

For what it's worth, Wortenia is one of the very earliest isekai web novels, starting as early as 2009 at least.
For comparison, Overlord came out in 2010, Re:Zero, Mushoku Tensei, and Shield Hero in 2012, Death March in 2013, etc.
Not really worth hoping it'll modernise any of the old tropes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

SubNat posted:

It's one thing I've been curious about for a while: Why on earth are there so many series where the title is pretty much a summary of the plot/premise?

Is it just because the market is so so so flooded with titles that them just having a simple title isn't possible unless it's like a popular series debuting in Shounen Jump or whatever?
Like, you have to catch the readers' attention immediately, even with the title, or you're just going to get passed over for the next series?

This is basically it, yeah. Most isekai titles are originally written by unknown amateurs on the web novel portal Narou, where there are daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly ranking lists, and potential readers generally just scroll through these to see if a title catches their eye. Because there are literally hundreds of new ones posted every day, the audience can't really be assed to click on every listed work to read through a full page synopsis. This quickly leads to authors attempting to get the point across immediately with the title being a very abbreviated summary of the what the story is.

It's one thing to browse a bookstore full of vividly coloured covers and pick up the one called "Darkness Inverted" or whatever snazzy poo poo the editor could come up with, and another thing altogether to guess what it's about when it's just one text line among a thousand others on an infinite list.

I believe the Japanese adult video industry is going through a similar phase, for some reason.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

If someone gets around to scanlating the manga adaptation, Kita no Toride nite (At the Northern Fort) is cute and fluffy about a girl who reincarnates as an adorable fox spirit thing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

SubNat posted:

It's kind of amusing how many series seem to be Isekais just so they can get that tag/be in that popular category.
I read through the Paladin raised by Undead one (pretty good so far.) and beyond functioning as character motivation early on, and functioning as a hook to have him be grateful to the goddess it's not really relevant. (https://mangadex.org/title/24651/saihate-no-paladin)
(Doesn't really bring in any skills, mostly benefits from the knowledge earned from growing up, as opposed to trying to modernize the setting, and all the benefits seem to be things he earned 'in universe' so to speak, due to setting up an extremely difficult pact/promise with his god.
After the first couple of chapters it's not really brought up or relevant anymore.)

It's probably not as evident in a format like the manga adaptation, but since the original web novels are 90% narration by the protagonist, it's an enormously convenient crutch to have him be from Japan instead of a native to that world. It means you can use all of modern human culture when you describe things happening, without it feeling out of place.

As an example, if it was a native medieval fantasy character, you couldn't have a descriptive line like "The arrow flew like a laser beam" or "He tackled the brute like a freight train" since they'd be anachronistic in a setting where none of those have been invented yet. Similarly, you can't describe a big monster as being "the size of an elephant" because only earthlings would have a notion of what those look like.

In addition, since there's always the underlying idea of "the Japanese guy telling us his story", you can even gloss over secondary native characters using weird expressions, since "it's just him helpfully translating isekainese for us with familiar words".

On top of that, there's no particular need for the author to put in the effort to consider what a native character who grew up in that society would feel about anything -- since the hero's Japanese, it's easy enough to just put his own imagined impression into every scene. All of this likely makes it very appealing to bootstrap any story with being "isekai", even if it has no consequence on the plot developments.

But yeah, the Japanese audience apparently only wants to read isekai now, so there's that too.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Near zero chance of the story living up this advertisement, but:

I gave the web novel a shot back when the first LN cover showed up, since it seemed kind of curious as a premise, but it's just so boring. Endless summaries of what economical escapades she's telling her peeps to execute. Is it too much to want some characters and a little story to go with the faux-wikipedia articles?

Reviews seem positive, though, so maybe it picks up later. Or perhaps it's fun if you're not the kind of ignorant foreigner who has to pick up his phone every page to google what the hell the new reference to some renamed Asian 1990's economic event is supposed to be.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Faraway Paladin is getting an Anime this October

Feels like a weird choice to put money into.

Paladin is infamous for having an incredibly good first volume, and then nosediving into mediocrity immediately. That in itself wouldn't really stop an anime, but the author hit some kind of writing block and hasn't posted a new chapter of the web novel in nearly four years. Admittedly he did recently tweet that he'd finally started writing again, but who knows how long that will last.

With only 5 (potentially 6?) volumes out of the light novel, it's just hard to see it being all that profitable.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Please, please, PLEASE tell me this will coincide with the LN and Manga getting picked up by a new publisher and continued.

Well, the LN got an unexpected digital resurrection announcement this summer, and vol 5 came out as e-book only a couple of weeks ago.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

the protagonist's name made me think of Holy Grail of Eris, and that made me sad that Mistakes Were Made apparently dropped it so hard they don't even list it as dropped anymore.

Probably because of this? https://yenpress.com/9781975339586/the-holy-grail-of-eris-vol-1-light-novel/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any good Isekai where the MC is a Witch? It doesn't have to be super cliche boil boil toil and trouble witch, something like 300 years Max Level killing Slimes is fine.

I'm just in a witch mood for some reason.

Not isekai either, but this is pretty popular: Unnamed Memory

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

The Faraway Paladin - This goes on the nice manga list immediately. The art is decent, wonky in some areas but pretty good in others. However, the writing is superb! The anachronism of Will's upbringing vs the modern world and the weight of history that surrounds a lot of exposition is wonderful. Even though it is actually an isekai it eschews a lot of the more eye-rolling tropes and has settled into some high fantasy. It has a little mix of everything and manages to evoke real emotion. Its charming!

This has an anime out next week. The novels have been kind of dead for like 4 years, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

https://yenpress.com/9781975334888/the-wolf-never-sleeps-vol-1/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

nrook posted:

I’m not the aub of this thread so feel free to ignore me, but I’d really prefer if we didn’t discuss anything after the current English translation (including the previews, I suppose), just because it’s extremely easy to have something get marked ambiguously or accidentally left out in the open otherwise. It’s the same reason most anime threads don’t allow discussion of stuff that hasn’t happened in the anime yet, even tagged.

Another issue is that if someone happens to try to Quote a post with an ending spoiler like that, it shows up in plaintext in the editor, so they'll accidentally read it even if they only intended to respond to another non-spoilery part of the post.

Just a warning, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The original web novel for Shangri-La Frontier is currently over 6000 pages, so the manga adaptation will probably be a trillion volumes if it goes all the way.