Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's no ebook for me to :files: for this book so being in Canada, I'm checking out abebooks.

I can get a hardcover ex-library book (lol the librarian that threw this away) or an "advanced reading copy" for $10 more

Every cover art is different

"plausible as kitchens" what the gently caress margaret atwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Mmm, that is one shapely folk tale. :quagmire:

Also, shame on you for not posting this:

HAHAHAHA

mewse
May 2, 2006

My body is ready

mewse
May 2, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm not super familiar with canadian authors, do you think there was another book that could have won that award that year?

As a Canadian what probably happened was the small high lit community decided this book was Worthy Of Praise and then it won that award

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm Canadian and my dad is a retired high school english teacher, so it turns out he had heard of the bearfucking book.

He told me that the era the book had been released was sort of a golden age in Canadian lit, because Margaret Atwood's Survival had been published around this time and there was a lot of discussion about Canadian identity.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's bear-tacular

But, seriously, if there are any notes or neat errors please post them

Only fun thing so far is a business card from the publisher fell out

Portrait...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished the book.

It's very Canadian in a quaint 1970s way

- The wilderness is the best
- Escaping the rat race for the wilderness will fix everything
- A family that's lived in Canada for a hundred years are "tourists" because they're English colonizers
- Indigenous mysticism/fetishism
- Getting mauled by bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Am I a monster for laughing when the bear finally gets a hard-on and then immediately mauls our protagonist?