Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

achtungnight posted:

And for the record, Han shot first! Wait, wrong Han. I too doubt Statham will ever answer for that even though he should. :(

Honestly not using the genetically enhanced super soldier villain set up to include a resurrected Han as one of Brixton's henchmen is a real missed opportunity here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Honestly not using the genetically enhanced super soldier villain set up to include a resurrected Han as one of Brixton's henchmen is a real missed opportunity here.

You don't know if that's not true. Watch Han show up during the post-credits stinger. Half-cyborg. From the future.

[edit] Furious X is going to be like Endgame where they all go back in time to the different Fast and Furious movies.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 25, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If they do eventually bring Han back I hope it's because Giselle has been revealed to be alive and also she's a villain now. Han and the Family vs. Giselle would be a cool way for the series to finish up imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macksy posted:

One ticket for WILDU SPEEDU SUPAH CAHMBU arigato.

Oh, Im not going alone. Im taking my family.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I hadn't been reading the news since the second trailer revealed the entire movie so those cameos took me by surprise, assuming they had even been revealed.
Not sure it felt like a Fast and Furious movie, but I think that made it better.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This film is absolutely 100% batshit crazy in the best way. I honestly think it would actually be impossible to watch this film and not end up enjoying pretty much every moment of it. It is absolutely dumb though, dumber than dumb. Thats to say nothing of the times where the film pushing right up to the edge of the 4th wall and winking aggressively at you. As far as "turn off your brain" summer blockbusters go, this is definitely up there. Any criticism you might hear about it is probably very well deserved but honestly when I enjoy myself in the cinema this much? I really couldn't be more happy to get it all the free passes it needs.

Oh yeah, some of the cameos are abso-loving-lutely mind blowing. They are so good that they might actually be the best bits in the film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, this movie was...something. I liked it more than the last Fast and Furious movie, for sure, but this movie really didn't care and did whatever it felt like, and I cant fault it for that.

And yeah, it is now possible for Han to come back with this magical computer stuff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Overblown. poo poo edited and terrible sound made it sound like Vanessa Kirby and Jason Statham were mumbling their lines. Fast cut cut shaky shakey. The Rock should take a backseat to competent people cause it's so by the numbers safe bullshit to protect his brand. Smooth pebble that guy needs to not dumb his movies down cause nothing for the story made sense outside of convinience.

Best things about the movie was Vanessa Kirby and Idris Elba with Ryan Reynolds being allowed to do his thing. Rock and Statham were okay.

It was beyond stupid action blockbuster but it was decently directed overall with big set pieces I guess. I had fun but...it could have been better. Compared to Fast 5 to 6 to 7 that was shot better and flowed better in plot and story more coherently.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The game of thrones jokes were beyond awful and the beginning of the film was a bit bad, too much “look how cool/badass I am”. And the romance subplot was awful. Zero chemistry, actually, negative chemistry. I’m glad it was just a few scenes.

The rest of the movie was over the top in all the good ways, some good action scenes and some great one liners. Overall a fun action movie experience, worth the trip to the movies but nothing groundbreaking or anything that’ll be remembered among the great action movies our time.

Dwayne should try to drop his ‘brand’, his thing is getting a bit stale, I don’t don’t expect him to suddenly become a great actor but come on, at least try to do something different once in a while.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I just reject the premise of The Fast & the Furious cinematic universe on its face. I don’t think any franchise needs 9 entries and this one certainly doesn’t deserve them, but I was friends with a few meatheads in college who would miss their own mothers funeral before they missed a new F&F movie.

I also get cranky because sometimes there will be an entire movie where absolutely no one gets furious!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They definitely went way too hard on making this the start of a new thing seeing as they don't resolve anything in regards to the evil organization.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

muscles like this! posted:

They definitely went way too hard on making this the start of a new thing seeing as they don't resolve anything in regards to the evil organization.

I loving loved the movie (it was 100% what I expected), but that was probably the one down side running underneath the surface level enjoyment. I kept thinking we'd get some post credit scene that tied in in to everything else but it never came. The fact that you have a shadowy mystery voice and you never find out anything about who it actually is or even a HINT is just bad film making.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally I kept expecting them to reveal it as Ryan Reynolds because it definitely sounded like they used him for the voice and that seems like a pretty normal twist.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Personally I kept expecting them to reveal it as Ryan Reynolds because it definitely sounded like they used him for the voice and that seems like a pretty normal twist.

He even killed someone with a brick and was the one invading and killing a mass of people then call up the Rock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also (end spoilers) there's no way that Idris Elba's character is actually dead and isn't coming back for the sequel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This movie is going to be my Little Caesar’s meme

“Hobbs and Shaw is fun and entertaining.”
“So it is good?”
“It is FUN and ENTERTAINING!”

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This is what you get for not liking Southland Tales

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Also (end spoilers) there's no way that Idris Elba's character is actually dead and isn't coming back for the sequel.

According to franchise rules, he is going to be a good guy for sure.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing that I caught Statham yelling at Elba (during the last fight) was that Statham accused Elba of making him kill his brother? Did I mishear that? Dialogue during that scene wasn't exactly clear.

I still hope that the mysterious voice was Han because it's still weird seeing this cold blooded murderer be one of the good guys.

Movie was still fun as hell, though. Elba's motorcycle was dope and I wish it was in the movie more. Also wow did Mission Impossible: Fallout squander the hell out of Vanessa Kirby.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
This franchise is now a harem anime starring The Rock and I'm 100% on board.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Vanessa Kirby is legit awesome.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing that I caught Statham yelling at Elba (during the last fight) was that Statham accused Elba of making him kill his brother? Did I mishear that? Dialogue during that scene wasn't exactly clear.

He was speaking metaphorically. Shaw thought of Brixton as his brother.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I still hope that the mysterious voice was Han because it's still weird seeing this cold blooded murderer be one of the good guys.

They're gonna re-re-edit it so Han was the villain from the beginning, and actually HE was the one trying to kill Shaw.

Han shot first.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I know this series is now a byword for plot escalation to ridiculous levels but one image that always pops up in my head when watching the newer films is whenever the Rock or Vin Diesel does something off the wall is how the biggest physical threat in the first film was a faceless truck driver with a shotgun. That one nameless character came closer to defeating the protagonists in these films then an entire army of mercenaries led by a rogues gallery of international supervillans.

Film was fun though. Did'nt feel like a fast & furious film except for the saving of the day by the use of NO2 near the end.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I think I just reject the premise of The Fast & the Furious cinematic universe on its face. I don’t think any franchise needs 9 entries and this one certainly doesn’t deserve them, but I was friends with a few meatheads in college who would miss their own mothers funeral before they missed a new F&F movie.

I also get cranky because sometimes there will be an entire movie where absolutely no one gets furious!

The success of fast and the furious is much more deserved than Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe combined

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

howe_sam posted:

He was speaking metaphorically. Shaw thought of Brixton as his brother.

This makes sense in retrospect, but I guess the movie didn't really convey that deep a connection between the two. Poor Luke Evans, the forgotten Shaw. They even brought him back for 8 only to basically do nothing with him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hank Morgan posted:

Film was fun though. Did'nt feel like a fast & furious film except for the saving of the day by the use of NO2 near the end.

It's fast and furious PRESENTS

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The success of fast and the furious is much more deserved than Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe combined

LoL what for, the tremendous acting?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yea

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bust Rodd posted:

Compared to the prequels, sure.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think it was okay (a bit too homoerotic with the one-upsmanship but eh), but got quite good when they got to Samoa. Vanessa Kirby was great.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The homoeroticism is all part of the appeal for some. Like I said this franchise is now also a harem anime, only the protagonist is The Rock and eighty percent of the waifus have biceps bigger than my head.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 6, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bust Rodd posted:

Having a poo poo ton of minorities in leading roles.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stairmaster posted:

It's fast and furious PRESENTS

Is it at least presented furiously? Or just really fast?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BexGu posted:

Having a poo poo ton of minorities in leading roles.

Yeah but aren’t they all, like, thieves and criminals and members of gangs? What does their representation say about minorities?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but aren’t they all, like, thieves and criminals and members of gangs? What does their representation say about minorities?

the franchise is incredibly pro-crime so its good

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bust Rodd posted:

That they all have a heart of gold, do the right thing in the end, save the world, and drive cool rear end cars while doing it? While loving their family?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Audiences don't inherently hate thieves and criminals and outlaws in fiction. And not even always in the real life either depending on what they're stealing and who from.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Just stop talking dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The most implausible thing about this movie was the idea that Shaw was only a year or two older than his sister. Vanessa Kirby is 31. Jason Statham is 52!