Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

His hands gone man. That sucks, but it makes me feel better about betting against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1362141087419097088?s=20

Wait, teofimo was fighting this week? How am I just fighting out about this now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. F! posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1362141087419097088?s=20

Wait, teofimo was fighting this week? How am I just fighting out about this now.

Oh wait, this is a purse bid, not a fight. Lol I misunderstood.

They're just trying to figure out who will promote the fight/pay the fighters. Thats how I missed teofimo was fighting this week, he actually wasn't!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Mr. F! posted:

Oh wait, this is a purse bid, not a fight. Lol I misunderstood.

They're just trying to figure out who will promote the fight/pay the fighters. Thats how I missed teofimo was fighting this week, he actually wasn't!

But Adrien Broner is so it's basically the same thing :)

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1362540040258260997?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Lmao, man. I hope broner wins, that would be the best thing that could happen for everyone.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What should I know about Adrien Broner? I feel like I've heard that name here and there over the years but I have no idea.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Brut posted:

What should I know about Adrien Broner? I feel like I've heard that name here and there over the years but I have no idea.

about billions

former rising star who got done up by marcos maidana and his career was never the same; he’s a natural lightweight who fights 12 pounds heavier than that and as such doesn’t have the power to really compete

he’s a counterpuncher and is an interesting thought experiment along the lines of “what if floyd mayweather wasn’t skilled enough to move up in weight”

also he beats women (allegedly but he’s been charged multiple times soooo), so i wouldn’t root for him; he’s also obnoxious in and out of the ring if that kind of thing turns you off more than choking waitresses

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One time broner beat some random dude down in a bowling alley

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Declan MacManus posted:

about billions

former rising star who got done up by marcos maidana and his career was never the same; he’s a natural lightweight who fights 12 pounds heavier than that and as such doesn’t have the power to really compete

he’s a counterpuncher and is an interesting thought experiment along the lines of “what if floyd mayweather wasn’t skilled enough to move up in weight”

also he beats women (allegedly but he’s been charged multiple times soooo), so i wouldn’t root for him; he’s also obnoxious in and out of the ring if that kind of thing turns you off more than choking waitresses

I agree with all of this, but he’s an interesting personality so it’s fun to have him around boxing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

about billions

Oh that last part is probably why I've heard his name. Welp.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jump King posted:

One time broner beat some random dude down in a bowling alley

Fight of the night, imo.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Fight of the night, imo.

Lol reading about this broner lost 12k over a night betting on bowling then got pissed and knocked the guy out and took his money back.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Look, all I know is call me when Teofimo "Dime store Danny Garcia" Lopez is a four weight world champion. Until then Adrien "The Can Man" Broner has my vote.

Edit: Were going to post in the 2019 boxing thread post professionally or we won't. Your choice.

https://youtu.be/y78DSZhhyM4#t=3m52s

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 19, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think broners biggest crime of all is being extremely boring in the ring, in contrast to being extremely flashy outside of it. His campaign at welterweight has sucked, but he’ll continue to fight there since he probably can’t make the lower weights anymore and there’s always been more money at welter anyway.

Seriously though, broner never throws unless he’s got a sure shot and can hardly even be forced into interesting fights by guys who push him. He’s not fun to watch and he’s not even that good (at welterweight) anyway. He’s the ultimate example of a 2010s type manufactured fighter. He’s completely invented, his fighting style sucks, and his path to picking up paper titles above his natural weight was always a cynical marketing move that unfortunately worked very well. If he actually stayed at a fighting weight that worked for him he’d be more interesting and more competitive, but modern boxing promotion isn’t about being interesting or good (at least it wasn’t, I feel like that’s getting better)

Broner is a bad dude outside of the ring but I honestly don’t really care too much about that cause lots of fighters are dickwads outside of the ring. I’m watching guys beat the poo poo out of each other, I’m not really in the position to demand they be morally virtuous. Broner is worse than average for sure, but the thing that always annoyed me is how completely empty his career has been. If you think this is trash take from me it’s pretty much how all boxing media treats fighters, it’s why guys like Wilder don’t have people prying too much into their dodgy histories and guys like Ward are hated even if they’re perfectly nice guys.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Broner is an interesting boxer because he has natural athletic gifts in punching speed, power and accuracy beyond what anyone would need to win a world title in boxing, but never bothered to develop the footwork, conditioning or workrate needed to deploy those gifts properly against other world-level opposition. In his prime he looked like he very well could be the next Floyd Mayweather, if he had Floyd's level of dedication and work ethic. Instead Broner decided to model his career off of "Money," the character Mayweather invented and pretended to be to sell fights.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There's an alternate universe where Broner was born 8 years later than he was and became a huge star after knocking out Ryan Garcia and has a pretty sick rivalry with Tank Davis

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

even when he was knocking guys out at 135 he was super flat footed

agreed with jump and ninth that he’s boring and never really worked that hard to be great; post maidana he never seemed to work to actually set up his jab (which was a really good jab!) to wear guys down over time but also never really developed the defensive skills to allow him to counter punches effectively at higher weight classes

now he’s on the wrong side of 30 and unretired out of desperation; i don’t have any love for him but that’s always a sad end

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Surprised no one is watching Berchelt vs Valdez first round was really good.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
what a recovery by berchelt

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jiro posted:

Surprised no one is watching Berchelt vs Valdez first round was really good.

Yeah, great fight so far! Really impressed by Berchelts recovery

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JESUS WHAT A loving HIT

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy loving poo poo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man I'm glad he sat up that was nuts

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m honestly loving pissed because that last shot was completely inevitable and entirely unnecessary and it’s criminal that it was allowed to happen.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
should’ve been stopped

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Incredible

https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1363349656156037126

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Broner sucks. Lazy, barely throws any punches/easily outworked, and not talented enough in any other area to make up for it. If he was dedicated he could have been alright at 135/140 until this new batch of guys showed up; at 147 he's a gatekeeper. Even if he somehow made 140, all the top guys there would kick his rear end. He's like, Andre Berto level at best.

Anyways, Valdez/Berchelt was sick. Happy for Valdez. I don't see how you keep him out of the pound for pound top 10 at this point. Hopefully Berchelt is alright. He took a vicious beating and obviously suffered some brain trauma. Sounds like a lot of late money came in on Valdez after the weigh in when Berchelt looked bad making weight. The guy is huge for 130 and has been at the weight essentially his whole career, even fighting at lightweight from time to time. This was almost certainly his last fight at 130. Hopefully he recovers, maybe takes the rest/most of the year off, and then comes back to compete at 135.

Bring on Valdez vs Shakur Stevenson.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Broner sucks. Lazy, barely throws any punches/easily outworked, and not talented enough in any other area to make up for it. If he was dedicated he could have been alright at 135/140 until this new batch of guys showed up; at 147 he's a gatekeeper. Even if he somehow made 140, all the top guys there would kick his rear end. He's like, Andre Berto level at best.

Anyways, Valdez/Berchelt was sick. Happy for Valdez. I don't see how you keep him out of the pound for pound top 10 at this point. Hopefully Berchelt is alright. He took a vicious beating and obviously suffered some brain trauma. Sounds like a lot of late money came in on Valdez after the weigh in when Berchelt looked bad making weight. The guy is huge for 130 and has been at the weight essentially his whole career, even fighting at lightweight from time to time. This was almost certainly his last fight at 130. Hopefully he recovers, maybe takes the rest/most of the year off, and then comes back to compete at 135.

Bring on Valdez vs Shakur Stevenson.

They said that Berchelt regained 16.5 lbs since weigh in. Thats an insane amount to regain.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

folds like a got dang chair, incredible

Mr. F! posted:

They said that Berchelt regained 16.5 lbs since weigh in. Thats an insane amount to regain.

drat that’s some canelo poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
this is from last night, seems good

https://twitter.com/kornerman44/status/1363377603797684227?s=21

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jump King posted:

Broner is a bad dude outside of the ring but I honestly don’t really care too much about that cause lots of fighters are dickwads outside of the ring. I’m watching guys beat the poo poo out of each other, I’m not really in the position to demand they be morally virtuous. Broner is worse than average for sure, but the thing that always annoyed me is how completely empty his career has been.

That's an interesting take because I kind of do the opposite and, if I know for a fact that a guy is a complete rear end in a top hat or openly acts like one, I always enjoy watching him get the poo poo beat out of him and totally root against him. For instance, I always enjoyed watching Prince Naseem Hamed and Hector Camacho get their asses beat and really enjoyed watching Manny Pacquiao beat the ever living Christ out of Antonio Margarito for 10 rounds.

However, and to your point, learning later on about Manny's comments on gay people took some of the shine of off that last one and you're probably right that 95% of these dudes are probably assholes to some degree or another. I just enjoy watching the sport more when I can drum up a rooting interest.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

BiggerBoat posted:

That's an interesting take because I kind of do the opposite and, if I know for a fact that a guy is a complete rear end in a top hat or openly acts like one, I always enjoy watching him get the poo poo beat out of him and totally root against him. For instance, I always enjoyed watching Prince Naseem Hamed and Hector Camacho get their asses beat and really enjoyed watching Manny Pacquiao beat the ever living Christ out of Antonio Margarito for 10 rounds.

However, and to your point, learning later on about Manny's comments on gay people took some of the shine of off that last one and you're probably right that 95% of these dudes are probably assholes to some degree or another. I just enjoy watching the sport more when I can drum up a rooting interest.

It's especially weird because it's highly likely Manny will be president of the Philippines either in 2022 or (more likely I think) 2028.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've been a big fan of Berchelt ever since he beat the poo poo out of Francisco Vargas, who I was a big fan of before. Now I guess I'm a big fan of Valdez

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Not to take awhile from Valdez but i wonder if covid hurt Berchelt more than he realized. def seemed sluggish

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

yeah this is why I'm looking forward to Canelo v BJS probably more than any other upcoming fight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

It's especially weird because it's highly likely Manny will be president of the Philippines either in 2022 or (more likely I think) 2028.

I mean, Pacquiao's comments on homosexuals aren't because he's an "rear end in a top hat", it's because he's deeply Catholic (as are like 85% of the Philippines) as well as barely educated. The average Filipino will likely feel similarly to him on the matter, and considering who their current president is, Pacquiao would be a massive step up in the morality department.

I agree that there's little point in holding boxers to any sort of real moral standard. Not a lot of altruists in boxing, at least not ones who are any good at fighting. I do draw the line at beating up women. There is 0 excuse for that. And that's another reason to dislike Adrien Broner.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i mean i'm not gonna excuse someone being homophobic because they aren't well educated or catholic, especially not someone who's seen as much of the world and has enjoyed a public life with presumably lots of exposure to gay people as manny paquiao

does that mean you can't enjoy his boxing? no, of course not, but i don't think we need to make excuses for him or any other boxer. just a lotta bad people in this really violent sport that you can admire for their prowess without looking up to them as role models

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

didn't Pac start going to a more evangelical church, which caused a split between him and Mommy D

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Presented without comment

https://twitter.com/BoxingKingMedia/status/1364298279585009668

EDIT: I'm the losing fighter's trainer crawling into the ring like Seal Team Six into Bin Laden's compound

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The SituAsian posted:

Presented without comment

https://twitter.com/BoxingKingMedia/status/1364298279585009668

EDIT: I'm the losing fighter's trainer crawling into the ring like Seal Team Six into Bin Laden's compound

This reminds me that I’m always surprised that people don’t sustain more knee or other lower body injuries as they suddenly crumple to the floor.