Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZsO3PgRbDY

posting this because Pernell owns

can't think of a better way to page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Horrible about Whitaker.

Dubois looked solid against Gorman, who looked pretty domestic level himself. Dubois still only being 21 is pretty crazy. It might make him the most promising prospect out of all the other top heavyweight prospects. Filip Hrgovic and Tony Yoka are 27 and Efe Ajagba is 25, and Dubois is arguably further ahead than all of them now. Yoka also fought this weekend, fresh off a year suspension for dodging doping tests, easily KOed Alex Dimitrenko in 3. Joe Joyce is 33 and had an uninspiring decision win over Bryant Jennings. I don't think he really has what it takes to compete at the elite level.

Also: apparently Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs Beterbiev at 175 is happening. That's a great unification fight and hopefully the first step in fully unifying with Bivol and Kovalev.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What do you guys think of the fight this Saturday? I checked the odds yesterday and was astounded to see Thurman was the underdog. It's pretty crazy that a 40 year old former flyweight is the favourite against the welterweight champ with the best record at the weight and in his physical prime. I guess that's Pac for you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Dubois looked solid against Gorman, who looked pretty domestic level himself. Dubois still only being 21 is pretty crazy. It might make him the most promising prospect out of all the other top heavyweight prospects. Filip Hrgovic and Tony Yoka are 27 and Efe Ajagba is 25, and Dubois is arguably further ahead than all of them now. Yoka also fought this weekend, fresh off a year suspension for dodging doping tests, easily KOed Alex Dimitrenko in 3. Joe Joyce is 33 and had an uninspiring decision win over Bryant Jennings. I don't think he really has what it takes to compete at the elite level.

I'm a big Dubois believer as well, but I think Ajagba has something special too. Mostly it's the freakish reach and incredible power.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

When the fight was announced I believe Thurman was the (slight) betting favorite, guessing the Filipino money is really coming in this week.

I'll start writing up a thread for the fight, honestly I think it is a really intriguing matchup.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'll do an undercard report if you want, I'm really excited about this card overall

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I follow boxing very surface level and only know the big names.

Who are some up and coming young boxers without a lot of pro experience that look like they have a promising future/championship potential? Or even some really dominant amateurs that are just chomping at the bit to knock some pro heads off?

As a follow up question, will any of them be on the card Saturday?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

colachute posted:

Who are some up and coming young boxers without a lot of pro experience that look like they have a promising future/championship potential? Or even some really dominant amateurs that are just chomping at the bit to knock some pro heads off?

American by way of Honduras, Teofimo Lopez competes in the lightweight (135 lb) division is one of the hottest prospects in the sport and will be fighting this weekend but not on the Manny Pacquio-Keith Thurman card but on Friday on ESPN+

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'll do an undercard report if you want, I'm really excited about this card overall

Nice that's my least favorite part of the write ups.

In terms of amateur fighters who could make a splash in the pros, I've heard a fair bit of talk of a guy named Robeisy Ramirez, a Cuban two time Olympic gold medalist and the guy who beat Shakur Stevenson in the Olympics. He defected from Cuba to Mexico last year and signed with Top Rank this last May. He makes his pro debut on August 10th on the ESPN+ Frampton card.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

colachute posted:

The closest fit to that description fighting on Saturday is Efe Ajagba, a Nigerian heavyweight prospect with great physical assets. He’s a fun fighter to watch and I think he’s got a great future in the division.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Ajagba and the Caleb Plant-Mike Lee fight will actually be broadcast on FOX before the PPV begins at 9/8.

Regarding Mike Lee it's kind of weird to see billboards of him everywhere in the Chicago area. I know he is a local guy but to me he is no better than a club fighter who just happened to be in Subway commercials like 10 years ago

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Ajagba and the Caleb Plant-Mike Lee fight will actually be broadcast on FOX before the PPV begins at 9/8.

Regarding Mike Lee it's kind of weird to see billboards of him everywhere in the Chicago area. I know he is a local guy but to me he is no better than a club fighter who just happened to be in Subway commercials like 10 years ago

Mike Lee is a strange case for sure. I reckon if somebody saw he had real talent he would have a title by now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What do you guys think of the fight this Saturday? I checked the odds yesterday and was astounded to see Thurman was the underdog. It's pretty crazy that a 40 year old former flyweight is the favourite against the welterweight champ with the best record at the weight and in his physical prime. I guess that's Pac for you.

I don't think you can call Thurman in his physical prime anymore. He's past 30, has had multiple major injuries, and has been very inactive over the last couple years. He looked pretty iffy in his last fight, and his power seems to have been mostly a myth; vanishing once he stepped up to elite competition.

I think it's a true 50/50 fight in the ring, but frankly I think they give Thurman the decision almost no matter what (corruption) so they can build him up bigger off of Pac's name.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

At age 30 most boxers would be considered in their physical prime, at the very least, he is 10 years pac's junior. He had trouble last time out but I'd attribute that to ring rust more than any physical deficiency.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Thurman's an old 30. He should have the edge here, but he might not.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Is Keith Thurman better than that Australian guy whose only attribute is 'pretty tough'? The jury is still out apparently.

I'm betting on Thurman.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Thanks for the recommendations on younger boxers to follow. I’m gonna check out some highlights of the people mentioned today and watch some people beat each other up this weekend.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Canelo will not be fighting on Mexican Independence Day weekend

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1151526224247885824?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hard to believe they bungled this that badly. I had heard that DAZN was putting pressure on them to generate a fight worth their money, narrowing it down GGG or Kovalev basically. Kovalev digned to fight Yarde instead and I guess they couldn't get the contract with GGG. The plan now is probably to fight Callum Smith at the end of the year.

In the mean time, this opens Golovkin up for a September fight against Jaime Munguia or Demetrius Andrade

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's kind of incredible really that they couldn't find anyone for September, considering what they are paying Canelo. I wonder if DAZN is having buyer's remorse?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seriously, let him fight anyone, even if you just let fan see the most famous mexican boxing murk a dude on Cinco de Mayo, get some can. Maybe some portly hispanic guy that used to be on the Olympic team but looks like poo poo. Hey, he's polite and respectful, so Canelo could even take it easy in camp.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
DAZN certainly isn't happy but in the end I don't know if it really matters towards their endgame. Assuming Canelo fight in November or December they can pair that with AJ-Ruiz II and get in when there will be a lot of juice in the sport since Wilder-Ortiz II and maybe another biggish fight like a PBC PPV or Lomachenko-Lopez if that can happen. If the buzz is good then I really don't think it will affect the numbers and their ultimate end goal in the US which is realistically to getting the rights for like 3 NFL games and 5 NBA games a week.

The thinking seems to be that Canelo-Kovalev can get made assuming Kovalev beats Yarde in August. I think the headliner for that weekend will instead be GGG-Derevianchenko for the vacant IBF belt.

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1151538485108576262

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Seriously, let him fight anyone, even if you just let fan see the most famous mexican boxing murk a dude on Cinco de Mayo, get some can. Maybe some portly hispanic guy that used to be on the Olympic team but looks like poo poo. Hey, he's polite and respectful, so Canelo could even take it easy in camp.

When Canelo was fighting on PPV they could do that because it's just a percentage of earnings. Now that Canelo has signed the biggest sports contract ever with DAZN and is making guaranteed millions every fight, there are limits on what DAZN is willing to do. By the sounds of it they insisted on GGG or fighting a champ at 168 or 175.

Also Cinco De Mayo was in May.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
D'oh, I heard "date a Mexican boxer can't not fight on" and my brain filled in the rest. poo poo, I think he actually did have a noteworthy fight then.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jack B Nimble posted:

D'oh, I heard "date a Mexican boxer can't not fight on" and my brain filled in the rest. poo poo, I think he actually did have a noteworthy fight then.

He fought Jacobs. For the most part PPV stars have followed the "one for me, one for you" where a tough fight will be followed by an easy fight. When Canelo was still on PPV one could have imagined that he would have fought David Lemieux (or worse) for Mexican Independence Weekend and it would have been what it was. Now while it's illegal under Ali act for DAZN or Golden Boy to force Canelo to fight anyone in particular it seems as if their contract may allow for DAZN allow some opponents and forbid others.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 18, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They definitely can't force him to fight somebody but they can probably say something like "we're not interested in broadcasting canelo vs lemieux, so if you book that fight it won't be on DAZN"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They definitely can't force him to fight somebody but they can probably say something like "we're not interested in broadcasting canelo vs lemieux, so if you book that fight it won't be on DAZN"

Basically. It seems to be a greyish area where a network/promoter can't force by decree a particular fight but can do so in practice by rejecting certain options

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys theres a cool ESPN+ card on right now. Two up and coming undefeated guys with high KO% are fighting right now, and Lopez is on next

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys theres a cool ESPN+ card on right now. Two up and coming undefeated guys with high KO% are fighting right now, and Lopez is on next

And a fat dude knocked out of the ring

https://twitter.com/Main_Events/status/1152379520529383424

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the absolute gently caress did the ref let him get back in there and carry on

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah i thought that was an auto-loss like puking / making GBS threads yourself.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

yeah i thought that was an auto-loss like puking / making GBS threads yourself.

In most areas if you get knocked out of the ring-or sort of tumble out of the ring as Caudle did-then you have 20 seconds to get back in so long as no one helps you up.

Also thoughts with Maxim Dadashev who lost the fight MMM Whatchya Say was posting about and is in very bad shape

https://twitter.com/gene_wang/status/1152458835648569345

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
dude went through the ropes because he was so loopy his feet weren't working, I feel like at that point that's enough head trauma for one night

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Roast me later but I’m saying Whyte ko before round 6 and Thurman points. Who has everybody got?.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got caught up in weekend events and won't have the ability to post a fight night thread.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I got caught up in weekend events and won't have the ability to post a fight night thread.

I guess I'll have a go, it'll be rushed though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

madey posted:

Roast me later but I’m saying Whyte ko before round 6 and Thurman points. Who has everybody got?.

i'm edging towards thurman too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

fight thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894364

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fox Undercard is about to start.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Good fight. Thurman is still a legit fighter I would favour against every welter other than Spence and Crawford. Pacquiao is amazing.

Pacquiao is truly amazing; probably a top 10 all time fighter now that he's beaten Thurman. This is basically his Iran Barkley win, with Pacquiao playing Roberto Duran here. Of course Duran went on to lose his very next fight, against Sugar Ray Leonard, and never won another big fight in his career. Pacquiao's probably in the same position as Duran was in '89. If he fights Crawford or Spence, he'll lose comprehensively. He probably beats anyone else in the division, but I'm not sure why he'd fight anyone else besides those two. There's also a chance that at 41 years old, he loses to anyone else who's around the top of the division if he gets old overnight or just has an off night, so why not target the very elite?

Thurman I think has declined a bit due to the injuries and inactivity and I'd put him about level with Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia, and Yordenis Ugas now. It will be interesting to see what he has left going forward. He's talked a lot about retiring early, and he might already have enough money now to retire comfortably. It's tough to see where he goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1153695232854302721

Good lord.

RIP.