Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Choclatito is loving amazing. Estrada no slouch. And 2K + punches is a rarity. I think Choclatito got it.

Rest In Peace Marvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol boxing judges

117-111 is a loving joke

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lol 117-111 gently caress this sport

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
117-111 is beyond ridiculous, really thought Gonzalez won that fight

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GalacticAcid posted:

117-111 is beyond ridiculous, really thought Gonzalez won that fight

I had gonzalez up by 3 rounds. I can't understand 117-111. I lost ten dollars to TNL betting on chocolatito

Great fight tho

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
It's entirely reasonable to think Estrada won that but not by 6 rounds.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

just the worst sport lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASe3GTXgC1o

RIP legend, what a fighter.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

if you didn't like that estrada card, how about the cards for mccaskill

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

lived in marvin's/my hometown most of my life. dude is a god here and i've heard many, many harangues from old timers about how he got hosed in the sugar ray fight. there better be a statue coming

i actually met him once, unfortunately I was about 5 months old at the time so i have to take my parents word for it. signed an autograph to me on a napkin that my parents still have.

they were at the second antuofermo fight and my mom almost threw up because they were fairly close and vito bled like a stuck pig almost the entire time.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Contracts for AJ-Fury are signed.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Badass, cant wait for this fight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Fights. They signed for two.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Dopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rest In Peace Marvelous. Is Haggler vs Hearns still widely regarded as having the best round ever?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You could make an argument for Castillo-Corrales I round 10. But certainly nothing touches the sheer intensity of those three rounds of The War.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Ninth Layer posted:

hellll yeah

Jack B Nimble posted:

Rest In Peace Marvelous. Is Haggler vs Hearns still widely regarded as having the best round ever?

pretty much, you’ll see some love for round 9 of ward-gatti i but the war is still considered the best

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nice

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Nothing will match round 1 of The War but I will continue to support Pacquiao-Marquez 4 round 5 as a close second and the greatest round (so far) of the 21st century.

Edit: Apparently, earlier in this thread, I claimed that Anthony Joshua-Andy Ruiz 1 round 3 was better. That was not me but merely an exquisite doppelganger. Pay no attention to such lies.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 15, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
rip mr haggler. i don't think you lost to leonard.

The Ninth Layer posted:

sick.

does anyone think that aj can win this? in my mind i just cannot see a way that he outboxes fury and fury is usually way too defensively slick to be caught by anything too damaging.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fury is the baddest man on the planet but AJ absolutely can win this fight

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the AJ that beat Wlad could definitely beat Fury but we haven't seen him for a few fights now

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Julio Cruz posted:

the AJ that beat Wlad could definitely beat Fury but we haven't seen him for a few fights now

Could the Wlad that lost to AJ beat Fury?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

Could the Wlad that lost to AJ beat Fury?

It'd be a hard matchup, the guy who Wlad fought before AJ was like a carbon copy of Tyson Fury, and he lost that fight, so

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd argue Wlad was much improved in the AJ fight, but he'd just be even older now (and I'm happy he got out, I'm just speculating).

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Can't stand Fury, lovely person, unrepentant doper and he's effectively a human money laundromat. He couldn't avoid wilder for 12 and AJ is more dangerous so it'll be close.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Can't stand Fury, lovely person, unrepentant doper and he's effectively a human money laundromat. He couldn't avoid wilder for 12 and AJ is more dangerous so it'll be close.

You talking about boar? Cause fury quit doing drugs and coke lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fury now only uses drugs that can be safely injected in the presence of his nutritionist

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Fury doing coke is probably the least objectionable thing about him

he's misogynistic, homophobic, and works for a literal gangster, the only reason he's not the worst person in British boxing is that BJS exists

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

on the other hand he looks like an old timey cartoon character when he boxes so it balances out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sometimes he “opens up about mental health” so he’s an inspiration actually

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't give a poo poo about coke, if UKAD had done his job he'd never have been in the ring with wlad. He's spoken about how doping should be allowed and anyone who believes the wild boar story is a moron. He's dropped his British boxing license to avoid another investigation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CommonShore posted:

on the other hand he looks like an old timey cartoon character when he boxes so it balances out

He looks like an ogre

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

he's misogynistic, homophobic, and works for a literal gangster, the only reason he's not the worst person in British boxing is that BJS exists

it's cool how many high level british boxers just openly talk about and praise their mob boss patron

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

double negative posted:

it's cool how many high level british boxers just openly talk about and praise their mob boss patron

Tbf he doesn't charge them any management fees, no wonder they're happy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, that loving sucks about Hagler, especially since he went out with his dignity and (seemingly) his health intact and looks like he took care of his money.

He was one of my favorite fighters back during the heyday of HBO and the tremendous amount of talent in the lower weight class divisions was ungodly. Hearns, Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Iran Barkley, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Camacho, Chavez...Good fighters were all over the place outside of the heavyweights and back then were always matched up. Seemed like anyone could beat anyone on any given night. It seemed like every loving fight was entertaining and competitive for all the right reasons. The matchups in styles were terrific and even "lower tier" guys could loving bring it and give you a really hard time if you were unprepared.

But there was something about Marvelous Marvin that just seemed completely bad rear end and totally just screamed "tough and dangerous". My man did not gently caress around, was always in shape, could go from southpaw to conventional on a dime and he had that fierce look of someone you absolutely did not want to gently caress with. He didn't back up either. He came to fight.

I don't think I ever really watched him in a boring match and he seemed like he was smart enough to get out of the game once he confirmed how crooked the scoring was. I gave Leonard the win in Marvin's last fight but still understood why Hagler was pissed, then just cashed his check and got the gently caress out of this corrupt sport.

I think he's underrated.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Were this not a global pandemic, I would put serious consideration into seeing a Mt Westmore concert

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1372215323772948482

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s a concert with a boxing sideshow and you won’t convince me otherwise.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly the traditional promoters have been doing the same thing for too long so I’m interested to see how these guys mix stuff up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

LobsterMobster posted:

Were this not a global pandemic, I would put serious consideration into seeing a Mt Westmore concert

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1372215323772948482

I was a buyer anyways but it seems kind of wasteful to have what are some very big acts in music performing two or three songs at most. Triller making whatever Venture Capital/Ponzi Scheme cash they have count I guess?

Edit: Also details but Diplo is part of Major Lazer so I'm not sure why he'd be listed separately unless he was doing, like a solo dj set as well

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 17, 2021