Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Harold Letterman always helped me understand how to score rounds without decisive punches (effective aggression, ring generalship, etc), I'll miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Settling down to watch the fight now, you've all gotten me pumped.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
AJ asking variations of the same question evey other round and repeating back the answers stuck out to me.

Ruiz's physique is amazing and I can't wait for the articles that get written in non boxing outlets, especialy if he defends the title.

Who is the last heavyweight champ that looked this tubby aside from 46 year old Foreman? Bowe?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's a good transcript, erie how Joshua sounds. AJ went into the fight concussed from a hard knockdown in camp, doesn't that make the many hard shots and knock downs in the fight even worse for his health?

It's so lovely that everyone around him has an incentive to let the fight continue anyway; do all camps have doctors or just some?

Also, if Joshua is coachable I think the rematch is good for him; Ruiz seems like he really needs you to exchange so he can counter. A gameplan based around what McCracken was trying to get going between rounds sounds good.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 4, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So if Ruiz is a counter puncher who punishes over eager aggression, doesn't he match up well with Wilder?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is fun; I'm thinking much smaller but I'll go the other way and donate $20 to same if GGG stops (doesn't go to a decision) him.

:toxx:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
GGG, thinking of the children with that knockout.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The big bet was, but some smaller bets were for GGG.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Boardroom Beefs, I'd watch it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Didn't look like he was up from that first knock down, ref should have stopped it. That second one was just unnecessary.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah really, are their weights that close?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yessss

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUfIqOZfV8

New video up from Boxing Legends TV on the current state of the Heavyweight division, good stuff, introduced a pretty casual fan like me to some up and coming fighters.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just realized I know a lot more about women's mma than boxing, which is wierd because I like boxing more as a spectator. Links to important/ good fights? All I know Ali's daughter was wrecking poo poo for a while, I saw her fighting someone callled...the coal miner's daughter?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I've got a long weekend coming up and can get caught up. It's a shame the rules and promotions leave women's boxing less popular, guys at my gym talk about the technique of women's mma fighters with nothing but respect, it was pleasantly surprising.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The channel isn't so active anymore, and if you've been around since Ward vs Kovalev you almost certainly know about it, but I won't miss a chance to mention Lee Wylie's channel. Here's the first video, which replaces the overly simplistic "rope a dope" explanation of Ali's win over Foreman with something that elevates both fighters.

https://youtu.be/G1_JW3wnrik

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fuuuck. Just walking at an intersection.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seriously, let him fight anyone, even if you just let fan see the most famous mexican boxing murk a dude on Cinco de Mayo, get some can. Maybe some portly hispanic guy that used to be on the Olympic team but looks like poo poo. Hey, he's polite and respectful, so Canelo could even take it easy in camp.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
D'oh, I heard "date a Mexican boxer can't not fight on" and my brain filled in the rest. poo poo, I think he actually did have a noteworthy fight then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was at kickboxing last night and realized that the boxing news I wanted to pass around this time was the recent death and what questions it raised about the sport, but I kept my mouth shut to not be a downer. But yeah. I didn't think anyone there would want to hear it but it was on my mind.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My gut reaction is that boxing != prize fighting. Thanks for the link though, I'm gonna read that asap.

Edit: I can hear Teddy Atlas in my head, telling me that boxing has done do much for so many young men.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Is there some other sport that you do consider prize fighting? Just wondering where the label would apply or matter.

Pro MMA, pro kickboxing. I just meant that learning to do them as a hobby isn't the same thing as earning a living as a pro fighter. And really, I know that they're inseparable, but that was my intial reaction to "why do I like doing this thing at a baby level, but get increasingly uncomfortable watching the highest expression of it"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Some people die skydiving, but I don't know that it produces some large underlying foundation of brain trauma of which the deaths are just the peaks.

Edit: Like, they say you can't get a little bit pregnant, but you can drat sure get a little bit punchy, or anything between "headaches" to "dead".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really eager to see this, gonna try to wrangle a bunch of my training partners into seeing it at Buffalo Wildwings.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like how Canelo looks bigger beacaue he's wider; they must be the same height because they both just barely come up to the bottom of the letters.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And Benard says they can go to China or Europe because USA athletic commissions won't let a man in his fifties who now has a glass jaw and got punched out of the ring and onto his head fight?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lee wylie has a video up about Kovalev Ward; think I'm gonna catch this one at a sports bar.

Hasn't Kovalev looked bad lately? Any word on the state of his camp in the lead up to this fight?

Edit: Dazn Only? I better see if they're even going to be showing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There comes a point where Ruiz wants to stop emulating Buster Douglas.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait wait wait it's today and not tomorrow? Curse you, international date line. I'm at work for another ten minutes and I'm dressed like a slob; I have to get down to Buffalo Wild Wings ASAP, don't wanna miss this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm catching as catch can at home, but I'm excited.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone have opinions on these judges?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was just about to say the
Left eye might be a bit red and wheeelp

That was good right hand that did it, too

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Some points in second round, ruiz caught joshua on the ropes and found hin with some shots. Not good for J if a sign of things to come.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like Ruiz's looong jab.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeeees, heating up

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Isn't the right hook landing just behind the ear the shot that started it all last time?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems like it's a question of "can Joshua stay alert longer than ruiz can stay unfatigued". As we move towards the second half it's more and more likely Joshua will.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fighting out of the clinches and not letting the ref reset them lets ruiz get to Joshua.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have to admit, I do enjoy good out boxing. I'd like to see him sit down on some straight rights, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll say this, Ruiz got a big payday for very little punishment; I hope he can make the most of it.