Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it is astonishing that some of the best journalism on boxing can be found in the yearly op of a dead thread in a dead sub of a dead forum. excellent work. write that book.

me, i'm looking forward to the antics of the #1 strawweight phenom 'knockout cp freshmart' who is me

https://imgur.com/a/PYj2joa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I saw an article claiming Floyd told TMZ he plans to do more bullshit $10 million exhibition fights in Japan sometime in June or July, since those fights are basically risk free paychecks for him compared to having to fight real opponents. I don't know how true this is but yeah lol it sure does sound like a Mayweather move.

good for him. he's old as gently caress, has very few lingering questions about how good he really was, and making 10 million with zero risk of head trauma or 36 million for fighting a world class fighter seems like a no brainer.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jacobs / canello will be good and bud / khan will be a brutal domination but yeah nothing much on the horizon for boxing in 2019. i'm hoping some promising prospects become breakout stars while the current stars are busy marking time. i really want to see that josh kelly kid fight someone competent.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah

Claressa Shields is one of my favourite fighters right now but she has her hands full with this one. Shields is an all american tough kid from Flint etc and Hammer is this cold European machine etc. They're both good fighters, the only ones of note around this weight division.

Hammer has reach and height on Shields, although Shields appears to be naturally a bit big with width and weight. Shields is an action fighter of sorts, a swarmer who throws a lot of punches when she gets the chance. Unfortunately for her, she has no power and has only gotten TKOs against defenseless opponents the ref takes pity on. Hammer is a more traditional boxer with a rigid jab and good fundamentals. She has some power to back it up too, nothing crazy, but certainly enough to keep Shields honest. Both of them have chins that can be cracked, Shields was dropped by the smaller Hannah Gabriels, it was a flash knockdown she took no time to recover from, but the weakness is there. Hammer was dropped very hard in a strange fight with Anne Sophie Mathis some time back. You judge that one for yourself, but it's worth noting that Mathis does have very good power, so I doubt Shields finds the same weakness.

I think the style matchup here might favour Hammer, but I personally expect Shields to win. Should be interesting though.

seems pretty incredulous, i agree

you're making hammer at +245 sound like a great bet.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah what I hear from those who I would say know boxing (and I include our esteemed friend MMM Whatcha Say in that list) is that this while this is close to a pickem on the boxing merits, it is being promoted as the vehicle that launches Shields into a crossover star. So Hammer will have to stop or completely wash Shields to get the win

oh, i forgot about boxing. my b. strong bet on shields by points and in case hammer wipes the floor with her i'll hedge with a draw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mike12345 posted:

not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a book or video that collects peculiar/notworthy fighting techniques from various fighters over the ages. maybe one fighter was famous for a specific defensive technique, another for the way he threw the hook... does something like that exist? I'd be curious.

Sorry man don't know any personally, but all these looked good:

Probably the least helpful: Boxing Basics: The Techniques and Knowledge Needed to Excel in the Sport of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Boxing-Basic...WXZ00SNXK4XV8C6

Something probably a bit closer and very specific: Power of the Pros: Striking Techniques of The Greatest, Explained

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pros-S...1D1ACN1DVF5NGRD

The next two are more historical collections of amazing fights that will feature all the sick and noteworthy fights: Tales from the Vault: A Celebration of 100 Boxing Closet Classics & AN Illustrated History Of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Vault-...SEAH24VTK0JPEN2

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-History-Boxing-Nat-Fleischer/dp/0806522011

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Golovkin just got booked against Canada's 4th best middleweight.

He had a great loving career and will go down as one of the best and most dangerous middleweights ever. Happy to see him getting some low risk high reward wins in before he's gone, sad that he'll never fight anyone of actual substance again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

there's no way he'd fight canelo again now that he's even slower and more diminished and even if he kicks his rear end again he'll lose.

from my perspective the second fight was even more clearly for golovkin than the first (media outlets 10 ggg, 8 draw, 1 canelo for the second fight) and the scorecards were worse. he cannot get a fair fight anywhere in the americas.

he could still convincingly bash just about anyone else and convincingly beat the small remainder so i'm fine with him gravy training out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

basically just doing what fedor did but instead of being in his prime he's in the twilight years of his career. this is boxing's fedor / brett rogers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jose posted:

Jesus that's the drug they abandoned testing on rats because it gave them cancer everywhere at once

There's less insane ways to get out of getting murdered by Joshua that's for sure.

Lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

It is genuinely amazing that after dying twice I still feel fury was robbed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ggg won both fights unambiguously and crediting canelo with a w in either case is a pity / stan vote. his win against jacobs is good. if he beats smith, i'll forget about the ggg robbery. if he 'beats' smith, gently caress canelo forever and his legacy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Per Akin Reyes (one half of Ak and Barak on DAZN) on the Sirius XM boxing show Errol Spence-Shawn Porter is a done deal.

this would have been a great fight 18-24 months ago. as it stands though congrats errol spence on your effortless victory.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mikey, what are you doing? hope he's getting paid.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i wish inoue had a potential superfight. it was cool thinking about inoue / gonzalez way back when. is rigondeaux retired? is that possible?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

so loma is fighting a guy named campbell and after looking him up it's a match i'm interested in seeing. loma should still win handily, obviously, but an olympic gold medal and pro experience with the likes of linares indicates to me that campbell is probably good enough to make dominating him impressive. has anyone actually seen him fight? what's your read on the match up?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Wilder/Ortiz II has been signed, likely for September 28th. Terrible news obviously, as it means Wilder is tied up for the rest of the year, and it probably also means that Joshua and Fury fight guys like Trevor Bryan and Adam Kownacki next, instead of each-other.

this is insane to me. ortiz is a terrible match up for wilder and ortiz almost knocked him the gently caress out in their first fight. i have no idea why wilder wants that again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

I think Josh Kelly might get exposed in his step up by the New/Real/Whatever Ray Robinson, he fought like a clown in his last fight against a no hoper and still got hit too much and cut under the eye.

good call. did anyone see the fight? this will put the breaks on the hype train for sure.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also i don't know if anyone watched taylor / persoon just now but it's the best fight i've seen in a long while.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Idk it was just too sloppy at the end for me. Maybe that's slightly misogynistic of me because I know I'd be losing my poo poo if those were men but it is what is. Close fight but Persoon got robbed

eh it is what it is but when two people have been going balls to the wall since the first bell the fact that it's sloppy at the end just adds to the narrative for me.

i thought persoon won but it was so close that i can understand the champ getting the nod.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

aj looked uncomfortable as gently caress on the back foot being stalked. he's gotta sort it out lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i always wanted to experience a buster / tyson

can't stop laughing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I want Ruiz to unify all the belts.

who could stop him except for the best boxer on planet earth joseph parker?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

amazing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ruiz also said he specifically wanted Joshua and believed he saw openings he could exploit.

Lots of respect to Ruiz, you know a counterpuncher is skilled when his world championship 6'6" opponent is throwing two thirds their average work rate. I think he'll have trouble winning the rematch or beating the other two champs but mostly because after this fight everyone is gonna be super cautious mixing it up with him.

he looked to me like he was fully in control of the fight. i've never seen such an effective negation of a reach difference before (live). he seemed to be maintaining a perfect distance from joshua, cutting the ring very effectively and exploding into a range that joshua found extremely uncomfortable at a speed joshua was not ready for. i'm not convinced joshua wins the rematch easily. if he wins it, he'll have been in a fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Andy Ruiz says that if AJ wants the rematch in the UK, he wants $50 million.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/6/7/18656248/andy-ruiz-jr-they-have-to-give-me-50-million-to-rematch-anthony-joshua-in-uk-boxing

Doubt he's getting that much but was interested to learn he made around $7 million for the first fight, which isn't bad at all, and that's before whatever endorsements and commerical deals it sounds like he's getting.

good for him. he brutally knocked out the consensus best heavyweight on a month's notice while working as a part time security guard and looking like a full time security guard. get paid.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

well, that was loving brutal.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what the gently caress? jesus christ.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1140009934945431562

It's bizarre as hell. The WBC withdrew their sanctioning of the bout because of a dispute with the WBO about the officials and Adalaide Byrd was judging a fight which her husband Robert was reffing. So shady.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1140011161229942785

EDIT: https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1139828046997987328

to be honest it's been a little while since something this egregious has occurred.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

https://youtu.be/Lg2uQ1uoBJU

Still amazes me Fury got up. For the first five seconds he was napping.

Also Dana White of the UFC says Fury is the #1 heavyweight in the division for whatever his opinion is worth.

such a dramatic fight. re-watching that i'm actually more ok with the draw despite it being genuinely impossible with competent judges.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fury looked great. good to see him back in shape. hype as gently caress for fury / wilder 2.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

are you alright? can you continue?

yeah i'd like a mojito

FINISH HIM

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys, there's a new belt in the world of boxing and it's got the weirdest rules a belt can have

It's a belt you get by appointment, and you don't lose it when you lose a fight. It's basically a transparent grab at Canelo's cash

what the gently caress?

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1143986170411438081?s=19

If you told me in 2013 that one day we could get Canelo-Kovalev....

what the gently caress?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

As much as I agree with that sentiment-at least the feeling of wanting to see Canelo take another definite loss at this point-I feel he would beat Kovalev. Basically there is no way they would make that fight unless they drained Kovalev down to probably 171 and Sergey has shown weakness to the body before. As crazy as it sounds I would pick Canelo to stop Kovalev in any fight that they make unless it's not a catchweight. If they were to make it the full light-heavyweight limit of 175 and Canelo gets a clean win then really no one could ever really say poo poo about him ever again in good faith.

really? because kovalev is washed. and there's rumours that ggg was flooring kovalev in sparring when he was one of the scariest active fighters in the sport. beating kovalev at 175 today is a great achievement but it does not wipe out the two gifts he's received against ggg. callum smith though...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Tyson Fury is saying that he's signed the contract for a rematch against Deontay Wilder, for February 22nd 2020.

December through February will be a division altering three months for the heavyweight division, which could possibly set up future, major unification fights later in 2020.

gently caress yes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUfIqOZfV8

New video up from Boxing Legends TV on the current state of the Heavyweight division, good stuff, introduced a pretty casual fan like me to some up and coming fighters.

hey he's back.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Is Keith Thurman better than that Australian guy whose only attribute is 'pretty tough'? The jury is still out apparently.

I'm betting on Thurman.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah i thought that was an auto-loss like puking / making GBS threads yourself.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i can't imagine what must be going through his head. these things happen sometimes and hell sometimes it's not even down to negligence or incompetence. sometimes....

rip. this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

personally, i have a fascination with fighting. i've been watching fights basically all of my life and pay money to go and get hit by people better than me. i've fought people in sanctioned fights.

according to this article, boxing takes the eleventh spot in a list of sports with most body counts, lagging behind bull fighting, bull riding, jai alai, auto racing, motorcycle racing, skydiving, big wave surfing, loving swimming, cave diving and base jumping. i don't see many fans of swimming having many existential crisis over how many bodies their completely unwatchable sport is racking up. although the bull fighting fans should take a good, long look at themselves.

it is an absolute tragedy when a pro fighter dies. i was moody for weeks when that duke roofus amateur kickboxer died due to gross negligence. but i get it. i strongly believe there are few tests of physical skill, endurance, and a litany of intangibles quite like fighting another equally skilled man in the ring. it is precisely because of what they risk that when i see two fighters leave it all in the ring / cage i'm drat near moved to tears (well, since i turned 30 anyway, for some reason).

life ends tragically for so many people every day. and so many of those people weren't even doing something they liked, or something that brought them a modicum of respect, or was mourned by so many people they'll never even know. it's not good when a fighter loses their life. my heart goes out to their family. and the next time i see two men fight their hearts out - those deaths, in some small way, adds to my admiration for every person, amateur or professional, that feels like i do about fighting and risks it all to experience the agony and ecstasy of being a fedor fan of a fair fight.

i am all for making the sport as safe as we can possibly make it, but i will always want to see the most skillful men on earth have a fight. they risk it all. there's something special about that.