Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

double negative posted:

the nasukawa fight was hilarious. if the paul fight is anywhere near as funny, it will absolutely be worth the zero dollars i will pay to watch it

lol

The SituAsian posted:

FWIW there's actually a pretty interesting pricing model though I'm not sure what it means for those going through cable/satellite pay per view. I'm guessing those will just end up being the standard $69 (nice).99

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1335719634583085056

this is legit a great idea. i will never pay money for this horseshit, but this is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
No, you can't beat the best boxer on the planet even by accident even if you outweigh him by 50lbs

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ok put this on the comain and i'll buy it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I think Paul has the size and cowardice to clinch his way through 3min. What's the ref gonna do, DQ an exhibition for being too safe?

if floyd's old rear end couldn't stop paul clinching him he would literally die against anyone he had fought in the last five years including conor mcgregor.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

maybe but i'm just thinking back to guys i've outweighed by 50 lbs who are lightyears better than me and i'd have better chances at grabbing a ghost

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Stangg posted:

This feels like the start of a black mirror episode where it eventually leads to a world where the path to fame is getting the poo poo kicked out of you by professional fighters.

didn't charlie zelenoff or whatever his name was gain mild fame in the circles of weird online fight fans by doing exactly this and literally getting beaten by deontay wilder?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Well, presumably all the YT people are sane and just talking poo poo for clicks, and not mentally ill and not helped by his dad (who would show up to fights and try to beg the other side to take it easy on his son, who would definitely try to destroy the other side).

lol this dude deserves his BEST DAD IN THE WORLD mug

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

That's certainly possible though GGG is looking he's been working Memo Heredia if you catch my drift.

i don't, but is it something to do with the fact that he looks like the eastern european experiment that he fought like in his youth?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's fairly hard to gauge tszyu at the moment. he gave jeff horn a beating who was imo a little bit past the jeff that gave pac a run. he could be really, really loving good but yeah i'd say a solid B fighter as it stands from just the eye test.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

does anyone think that usyk is going to have any serious success at heavyweight? his fight with chisora was.... troubling. i could see him mayyyyybe having the boxing chops to outpoint joshua if he survives the first half, but wilder would probably find a punch in 12 rounds and fury would maul him.

would love to see usyk / fury though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/ManoukAkopyan/status/1342950336986718208

Looks like Canelo will get his mandatory out of the way first. Good shout on a short turnaround I suppose

who?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i like the saunders fight. i think stylistically it's the fight i want to see canelo in most. if canelo blows out saunders i can't think of another relevant fight for him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jake Paul, hopefully.

i want the internet out of boxing really badly but if canelo beats saunders let him bash jake paul or whoever like mayweather is currently doing. he's earned it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

unfortunately caleb plant is trying to return a dvd to blockbuster that's 15 years overdue and the shop shuttered 14 years ago so he will be unavailable to defend

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i cannot believe how fast canelo has cleaned out all these divisions. this is literally the last fight on my personal list of people i think he should have fought.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

losing only to mayweather and ggg twice is quite an achievement.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

"how could he be responsible for a crime if he isn't even there?? checkmate"

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'd say of the shady guy who is instrumental in my career and money having.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's sad. but i'm glad it doesn't appear to be a result of gross negligence on the part of the officiating / corner

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rip mr haggler. i don't think you lost to leonard.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Contracts for AJ-Fury are signed.

sick.

does anyone think that aj can win this? in my mind i just cannot see a way that he outboxes fury and fury is usually way too defensively slick to be caught by anything too damaging.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what's the narrative here? never heard of these ladies.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jump King posted:

Jonas is also a boxer who has a Wikipedia page

*whistles* good poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hope manny can make a good fight of it but i think bud will retire him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this is cool. hope welterweight hots up while bud and spence wait for signs that one of them is all but done and they take a final payday.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'll be interested to see how far garcia goes. he passes the eye test for sure. he'll also be carded at drinking establishments until he's 52.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

I think this could approach 1 million buys.

even if it does a third of this, it should embarrass any and all combat sports 'promoters'. dana has some of the finest athletes exclusively signed to his company and it would take a stacked card to do half the buys of the youtube man.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Wasn't there once this old show called celebrity death match where the animators imagined what it would be like if Oprah fought Ellen or whatever?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

the stream I'm watching is playing other music and has a dancing cat in the corner.

Ah. Only a connisuer demands the full experience. Bravo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

who was mir fighting again?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I guess Askren just wasn't prepared for a one two where the rear hand was a telegraphed haymaker. All credit to Jake Paul: a real fighter.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if it was rigged it was because askren was hit by that punch at all, not that the punch didn't have the heat on it to justify a tko stoppage. it was the sloppiest, slowest, most telegraphed combo i've seen to knock somebody out in a professional fight i've seen in memory.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pure striking practice is a staple of mma training. if askren hasn't advanced past being able to mitigate a rear hand haymaker then there was a full time position at every gym he has trained at where some guy would have to mop bits of askren off the mats after his sessions with fuckng pettis or tyron woodley

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

Y'all need to come to terms with exactly how lovely Ben Askren's boxing is. There was no fix, he literally IS that bad.

Also, I'm still laughing at Buffer managing to introduce him as "ASKYEW". You had one job, Bruce.

Well, it's good some fans are satisfied!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, the event was an utter disgrace and the fights were poo poo. Paul knocking out Askren however, was in no way a surprise.

Even the most stand-up focussed mma fighter still grapples and everyone in the UFC would be at the very least a purple belt in bjj talent wise, and you're saying it's completely believable that they got beat in a grappling match by a one year white belt.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

If I pay someone half a mil to make a meal I expect them to make me something edible even if they're only a pastry chef.

If I pay someone half a mil to weed my garden I expect I won't see dandelions there tomorrow even if they're a tennis instructor

If I pay a wrestler half a mil to fight a youtube, I expect them to not go down one minute in the first round.

lol at paying money to jake paul and then getting upset that it's not good. ben askren even weighed in looking like he retired 20 years ago. you could not have been more forewarned.

also lol at thinking conor would lose to jake paul because of a 35lb weight difference. they aren't even on the same planet in terms of skill. and jake paul does not hit harder, faster, or more precisely than loving dustin poirier. some of you people are weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MotU posted:

no one said he would lose I think, just that Conor would have to KO him really fast or it would damage his rep and that may be difficult since Jake Paul is heavier, and also that it would be really funny if Conor McGregor would get knocked out by Jake Paul, which it objectively would, if it happened

i can assure you that having 35lbs more gym in your body will not stop an elite striker from loving killing a hobbyist boxer whenever he wants.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MotU posted:

I did not say the first thing, however I did say that it would be funny to see Conor McGregor get knocked out by Jake Paul, which I see you have not refuted. Please don't yell at me in one of your screeds for a thing I did not say.

yeah dude that would be super funny. epic stuff.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

30lbs? Floyd is toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: nah. Floyd is gonna school him.

you don't say?