Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good thread but it felt a little rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I hope 2019 is a great year, and it should be at least good, but I'm sad that the biggest fights that could be made this year: Lomachenko vs Garcia, Crawford vs Spence, and Joshua vs either Wilder or Fury, are all very unlikely to happen in 2019

I feel like Joshua's starting to get antsy while watching Fury and Wilder make their fights. I wouldn't be surprised if AJ fought one of the two in autumn. I'm not sure why he canceled his April fight with Whyte to book a June fight with Miller instead, but it could be because the idea of fighting Whyte wasn't as profitable as they thought it might be and instead they want to break into the American market to set up a fight with Wilder.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

its all coming up Filip Hrgovic this year

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Povetkin sucks and in retrospect was overhyped

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I'm definitely being hyperbolic but he's definitely washed or close to it as his current age and there are levels. Sure, he might be able to beat B fighters, but I don't think he can beat an A fighter.

I do get that as a gold medalist and a minor titlist who held very good rankings within his division, he doesn't actually suck but I just don't think he's a top fighter anymore and in retrospect I'm not sure if he ever was.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You don't have to use quotes, Avni Yildirim is his real name

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AJ uploading all his fights to youtube

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Quotes because who the gently caress is Avni Yildirim and why is he getting a title shot.

I saw him lose to Eubank in the WBSS, which isn't great but he's a ranked fighter in the division and I don't think Dirrell is so good that this is mismatch. I guess I could be underrating Dirrel because I always get the brothers mixed up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

the Cold War of DAZN/Matchroom v ESPN/Top Rank v PBC/Haymon will sadly be more interesting than any fight in the next six months

Canelo-Jacobs tho

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Always love a good screwball ending

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Love CA’s ability to dismiss a valid fight as a mismatch before it happens and then dismiss both participants when it turns out to be competitive.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, Jack's fight probably should have been stopped too but at the very least his cut wasn't on the eye.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that is the most explosive confirmation a fight is not happening I have ever seen lol

I'd like to take this time to announce that I am also not fighting Deontay Wilder

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Didn't watch the fight but all the sources I trust said the cards were reasonable, although maybe more of them leaned toward Lara 7-5 over 6-6 but I didn't see anybody complaining about the decision outright.

Kind of sucks for Lara that all his biggest fights have been coin toss affairs where he's gotten edged out on the cards, but I'm assuming they'll have a more definitive rematch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GGG alleged to fight Kamil Szeremeta (19-0, 4 KO) in June before taking on Canelo in September.

It's uh, well it's a fight at least. The push is for GGG and Canelo to rematch in September and it makes sense for Golovkin to get on screen before event. By the same token though, with such a high profile fight on the line, they don't want to jeopardize the date, and with the relatively short turn around time that means taking on lacklustre opposition.

Still, this guy isn't completely unaccomplished, he's the European middleweight champion and holds the #2 spot in the WBC and WBA rankings and is #13 on boxrec. He's also undefeated for whatever that's worth, although looking at his quality of opposition, it's not worth a whole lot. Dismal KO percentage too, but he's actually picked up more KOs recently than earlier in his career.

Golovkin should mince this guy, but it is what is. Maybe he'll have good enough of movement and boxing ability to make it a bit interesting, but I haven't seen tape of him before so I don't know how likely that is.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm not looking past Jacobs tbh. Hopefully Canelo isn't either.

Sure, regardless of who wins though, there's a fight for GGG in September.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

More and more 2019 is feeling like a “stay busy” year for a lot of guys and 2020 is looking like the year when a lot of big fights could happen.

I guess, but it always feels like the biggest fights are just on the horizon. It's not as though stuff like Spence-Porter, Pacquiao-Thurman, Canelo-Jacobs and GGG-Canelo aren't big fights in their own right. I wouldn't even be too surprised if we saw 2 big heavyweight names against each other before the year is out anyway.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta hand it to Kubrat Pulev, that was a pretty entertaining display

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I was watching it with the sound off. Can you fill me in on what happened at the end of the fight? We were expecting Pulev to get DQed for the punch to the back of the head.

The ref had Dinu walk it off instead. Ruled the knockdown legit but deducted a point for the late hit.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I loved that, you know bradley's been just waiting to do that bit with the stack in his jacket for the whole night.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 24, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Decisively worse than that undefeated and ranked polish guy they were rumouring before

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TBF, I'd give up too if my opponent was putting people into comas

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

love that fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Klitschko took the money they had for Wilder lmao

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I keep seeing people say that, but there's been reports about a DAZN offer to Wlad for a few weeks so it seems very plausible to me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The klitschko thing was revealed to be a joke, with the massive caveat that he is actually considering the deal outlined before. It's very possible it will just happen in the next few days anyway.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In perhaps even more surprising Arum related news Yarde and Kovalev have allegedly come to an agreement and will fight in Russia.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Anyone have thoughts on THE BIGGEST FIGHT IN WOMEN'S HISTORY Claressa Shields-Christina Hammer? Seeing a lot writers strain to make Ronda Rousey/Gina Carano comparisons.

Yeah

Claressa Shields is one of my favourite fighters right now but she has her hands full with this one. Shields is an all american tough kid from Flint etc and Hammer is this cold European machine etc. They're both good fighters, the only ones of note around this weight division.

Hammer has reach and height on Shields, although Shields appears to be naturally a bit big with width and weight. Shields is an action fighter of sorts, a swarmer who throws a lot of punches when she gets the chance. Unfortunately for her, she has no power and has only gotten TKOs against defenseless opponents the ref takes pity on. Hammer is a more traditional boxer with a rigid jab and good fundamentals. She has some power to back it up too, nothing crazy, but certainly enough to keep Shields honest. Both of them have chins that can be cracked, Shields was dropped by the smaller Hannah Gabriels, it was a flash knockdown she took no time to recover from, but the weakness is there. Hammer was dropped very hard in a strange fight with Anne Sophie Mathis some time back. You judge that one for yourself, but it's worth noting that Mathis does have very good power, so I doubt Shields finds the same weakness.

I think the style matchup here might favour Hammer, but I personally expect Shields to win. Should be interesting though.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Very hard to see Yarde taking such a massive step up, AND going to Russia to do it.

seems pretty incredulous, i agree

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

you're making hammer at +245 sound like a great bet.

Not bad, some people are saying Hammer will win this fight. Personally I'm a big fan of Shields and you don't win 2 gold medals by age 21 without fighting a few good fighters so I don't think she's at that much of an experience deficit.

The hard part about women's boxing is that the talent pool being what it is, fighters don't really get tested outside of these occasional significant fights so it's very hard to measure where these fighters are against each other.

It's very arguable that Hammer has enjoyed the career of being a protected regional fighter in Germany, dominating a shallow division and making smaller fighter move up in weight to fight her on home territory. She's a solid fighter, but she's definitely never fought somebody of Shields's pedigree or size. If you're betting, I'd be very careful.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

my prediction is that loma will have trouble with Crolla's size, I base this prediction on it being the most exciting version of events to watch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Does crolla have any good fights worth watching?

This one.

blue footed boobie posted:

I barely follow boxing. Are these guys good?

Lomachenko has a very credible argument as the best active boxer in the world right now. Crolla is a decent lightweight, mandatory challenger who is bigger, but otherwise pretty ordinary.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That KO was freaky. Loma's got cement hands.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Teofimo is going to knock Loma out and then do The Carlton over his limp body

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That’s the joke yea

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Top P4P spot on the women's list for sure. Her and Braekhus are miles ahead of the rest.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tbh I'm not a fan of Katie Taylor for some reason.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Golovkin just got booked against Canada's 4th best middleweight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Golovkin is fun to see in competitive fights and this looks like its just some random guy, so it sucks to see him do that instead of fighting Andrade or something more interesting. But I understand he's just biding his time to fight Canelo or Jacobs

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

So does Joshua find a scrub to beat down?

Kownacki said he's not interested and Whyte demands a full training camp.

Hearn wants Ortiz, but there are murmurs that Ortiz's camp doesn't want the short notice bout

Pulev might be available depending on how his sexual assault thing is working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Miller just popped for HGH too lmao