Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Do more people die per yearfrom boxing or from working in an amazon warehouse or an ipod factory or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Basically are we upset about the exploitation of the disadvantaged for our pointless benefit/entertainment, or are we upset that we let people box for any reason? I think that if there was no money in boxing and it was free to watch and people did it for voluntary fun like softball or rec bball then its fine. Just two consenting adults giving each other brain damage out of love of the game

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

presumably most of us are against the idea of sweatshops also

Not that any of you are a fan of boxers dying, but we are undoubtedly actively engaged in the promotion of prizefighting and getting excited about fights etc, as opposed to passively being complicit in a society that requires a form of violence to exist.

also, it doesn't loving matter what other things are deadly and dangerous when we're talking about boxing. at least the comparisons to other sports are fair because its a similar type of engagement but when we're talking about sweatshops we've truly lost the plot.

Yeah what im saying is that when someone dies working in a factory its a tragedy, and when someone dies playing a sport i wanna know what sort of haircut they had before i make any judgements

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

hexwren posted:

What even really happened with Kovalev? I'm not even joking, it really seems like just a few months ago, he was an unstoppable monster, and now we're all talking like he's in the twilight of his career.

He got cheated in the ward fights. He started drinking. We all started drinking. These things happen