Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To me that Povetkin KO was just insanely brutal for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The times ive met Dan Rafael while qorking on Klitschko fights (Povetkin was one) was kinda cool. Still think meeting Freddie roach and Lennox Lewis is a pro sports highlight of mine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

Since Dan was let go from ESPN he's been pretty spicy on Twitter, especially with politics which has been pretty cool to see.

Yeah probably had to keep it under wraps or else ESPN wuold get complained too and threatened by the different promoters.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Historical fuckery aside, who the gently caress thought "Bridgerweight" was a good name?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

there's a tiny but somewhat genuine wonder if the paul fight's not actually the most dangerous of the three "floyd needs money circus fight" trilogy purely because of the weight difference, 'cos nasukawa never had a prayer and conor lasted exactly as long as floyd wanted him and that was always going to be the case to so a big(ger) dude just flailing like a child might bring the victory chance for floyd down to 99.999999999% instead of 100%

and thats how they'll get their PPV buys i guess.
not from me, i'm not giving them a penny, i'll watch the streamable highlight on r/boxing

Conor didn't lose technically. He got tired and the ref didn't let him catch his second wind. Therefore it was a DQ in favor of Conor since the referee cheated.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please lets never forget the time where Shannon Briggs was called a quitter by one of the dumb YouTube guys because he told the brother the "wrong advice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDMZS585H8A

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone willing to take a 6er today to spread an important message?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hosed THOSE FESTIVE PROBATIONS RIGHT UP. :cripes:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
updated thread date & title to be more accurate

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's okay just gives me incentive to actually finish my write up.

Honestly it's a lot easier to write these when I'm stuck in an office and need things to do to kill eight hours. Working from home makes it too easy to play PS5 instead.

By all means make a new thread. I missed that it was in the works. My bad.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

Don't feel bad for updating the date on an almost 3 year old thread title lol.

Also while I'm here, the discord server I linked to in the OP is dead and most of us now hang out on another server to watch live fights. It's not my server and a bunch of people use it for things that aren't boxing so I won't link it here, but if you'd like to join just shoot me a PM either here or on discord theninthlayer#4960 with your SA name.

I'll take you up on this. The MMA/Grappling discord has some punchsports discussion but its few and far between.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jump King posted:

Kind of funny how despite all the serious negotiations for Joshua to fight either Wilder or Fury over the last 4 years we’ve just ended up with 3 Wilder-Fury fights

This is why boxing rules.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sweet science (of cashing in on youtubers in 2021)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1403124547897880576?s=19

Lamar Odom facing off with Aaron Carter officiated by Chuck Liddell and Rob Van Dam is so up my alley it's scary

This is the most amazing thing

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

aaron carter? the brother of one of the backstreet boys? sure why not.

He was a somewhat successful teenie bopper wasn't he?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Triller is Affliction 2021

This is 10000000% true

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Applicable given the news - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ajzcGsLaA

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fast cars loose anus posted:

I saw Dude Wipes in the store today and could barely believe they were real

Then I come here to find gifs of the knockout and lo and behold Tyrone Woodley is sponsored by them, lmao

Many an MMA fighter had them as sponsors before the UFC said the foghters were making too much money off sponsorships

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i find boxing to be difficult to follow cuz of the numerous belts etc and also not knowing which fight is or isn't worth the effort or time and randomly wound up on this channel and gotta say i like their content and makes me more intrigued to watch boxing in the future

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficeHanchoBoxing/videos

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shankel Magnus posted:

At this point I think I’d be more disappointed by boxing if the fight wasn’t fixed.

Yeah I would 100% be shocked Paul, who has ran scams multiple times, didn't try to fix the fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Silva is 47 lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no real thread for Chess Boxing on PSP nor should it really get its own thread but there was apparently an event on December 11th with a bunch of YouTubers, Twitch Streamers, etc. doing Chess Boxing and it was stupid and fun and is worth sharing if you wanna watch nerds have to box then play chess.

The undercard had Smash Bros. Boxing which is the same but with Super Smash Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9CH4KlKMc

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ngannou has used the boxing style of gloves before back in 2015 when he did a kickboxing match. its not the same but at least there's somewhat footage of him using his striking in a "striking only" context and he at lest did start off as a boxer when he got to france before being convinced to move to mma (think the person said he'd make more money quicker or something which idk if that's true or misremembering the story a bit)

https://twitter.com/Beyond_Kick/status/1678874477294149637

edit - yeah the story was the coach at the gym in france thought he'd be better fit for mma for some reason

wikipedia posted:

At age 22, Ngannou began training in boxing, despite the initial reluctance of his family.[20] After training for a year, Ngannou stopped training due to an illness.[21] He did various odd jobs to make ends meet, until age 26 when he decided to head to Paris, France, to pursue professional boxing.[22] However upon reaching Europe, he was jailed for two months in Spain for illegally crossing the border.[23] After Ngannou reached Paris, he had no money, no friends, and no place to live.[17] After living homeless on the streets of Paris, he met Francis Carmont who introduced him to Fernand Lopez and the MMA factory.[24] Being a fan of Mike Tyson, Ngannou was originally interested in learning how to box but Lopez saw his potential in MMA and convinced him to try MMA instead.[22] Lopez gave Ngannou some MMA gear and allowed him to train and sleep at the gym for no cost thus starting Ngannou's MMA career.[22]

Reflecting on his journey across continents and his decision to become an MMA fighter, Ngannou said:[17][22]

When I started, I had nothing. Nothing. I needed everything. But when you start [to earn money], you starting collecting things: I want this, I want this, I want that. The purpose is not collecting things, though. The purpose is to do something great. Finish the dream you started.

I want to help my family, first, of course, but then I want to give opportunity to children in my country like me who have a dream to become a doctor or something. If I reach my dream, it will give me the opportunity to help those in my country who have their own dreams and nothing else to fulfill them.

I want to give some opportunity for children like me who dream of this sport and don't have an opportunity like me. The last time I was in Cameroon, I brought a lot of materials for boxing and MMA to open a gym. Now I just bought a big space to start the gym, as well.

A lot of children now in Cameroon, because of me, they have a dream. They say, 'I will be a champion in MMA. I will do boxing like Francis,' because they saw me when I was young. I didn't have anything. I didn't have any opportunity. And today, they see me, and they are dreaming. They are thinking that something is possible. Even when they are so poor, something is possible in life. … It's not easy. It's so hard, but it's possible.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inoue vs fulton tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inoue is so good