Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

does anyone think that usyk is going to have any serious success at heavyweight? his fight with chisora was.... troubling.

Agreed, and I don't think he has any chance at making any real noise at the weight. He has no power at all at heavyweight, and he actually has looked slower and less effective as well. He's also pretty tiny compared to the elite of the division. Maybe he could win the WBA "regular" title, as I think he could probably beat Manuel Charr or Trevor Bryan or Robert Helenius or whoever has that belt at the moment (it's hard to keep track, and who really cares?).There's a chance he could beat Deontay Wilder by decision, but somehow I doubt it, and he definitely doesn't beat either Joshua or Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I realize that this is very :can: but I do wonder how much of him being overlooked is racism and how much of it is combat sports riding and dying by strong eccentric personalities.

It is sad that if Wilder would have won the fight against Fury, he would have catapulted into mainstream discourse.

Don't really see how racism has anything to do with it considering black Americans like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc became huge crossover/mainstream stars.

Boxing is just a much more niche sport than it was in the 20th century, the entertainment/media landscape is far more fragmented now anyway, and Wilder doesn't really have a compelling enough personality/charisma to elevate himself as a mainstream celebrity without the dominant resume, which he doesn't have due to losing to Fury. He was also brought along far too slowly, against mostly bums, in fights almost nobody saw, until very recently. I mean, Wilder wasn't even on the mainstream sport radar whatsoever until like 2018.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

I think wilder absolutely has the personality. He’s always hilarious in promotional content.

This is pretty cynical but I always felt like he would have become a much bigger star in America if he had started kneeling for the anthem when that started going on.

He's not charismaless, but he's not nearly the personality of a Tyson or Ali.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Sounds like Canelo's next fight post-Yildirim will be Billy Joe Saunders. Hopefully Saunders can avoid loving up in his personal life long enough for that fight to actually happen.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

i like the saunders fight. i think stylistically it's the fight i want to see canelo in most. if canelo blows out saunders i can't think of another relevant fight for him.

If Canelo beats Saunders, he'll have the WBC, WBA, and WBO titles. Might as well fight IBF titleholder Caleb Plant at the end of the year to fully unify at 168.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Mr. F! posted:

If canelo pulls that off, what a great year 2021 would be for him. I hope he attempts it

Would be a great accomplishment for sure, especially considering that there were people saying he may be too small for 160 when he originally moved up to fight GGG. I'm more interested to see what he does after that. He would have essentially cleaned out 168. Maybe he moves to 175 afterwards, but it is difficult for me to see a 5'8 former welterweight dominating at light heavyweight. And 175 is also completely devoid of big names as well, although Beterbiev and Bivol of course would be potential opponents.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Pretty good win by Ryan Garcia, but he has a few big holes in his game that he needs to fix ASAP if he is really the "future" of boxing. Totally flatfooted and flawed footwork in general, telegraphs/loads up on almost all of his shots, drops his hands when he throws punches, moves straight back away from punches, etc... He might be able to beat Gervonta Davis if he can stay away from Davis' big shots, but Devin Haney is far more polished and would almost certainly outclass Garcia at this point in their careers.

He kind of reminds me of Amir Khan, and not in a good way. He's got fast hands and can crack, but his technical deficiencies leave him very vulnerable. I would like to see him fight someone else before either Davis or Haney, someone like Javier Fortuna or Richard Commey. He needs a bit more time to develop.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Brut posted:

Boxing 2021: Battle of the Youtubers

Seriously though, does the boxing thread still want to be named Boxing 2019?

A name change to 2021 would be nice.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
At this point I just want Canelo to beat Saunders so that Saunders can disappear forever.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Broner sucks. Lazy, barely throws any punches/easily outworked, and not talented enough in any other area to make up for it. If he was dedicated he could have been alright at 135/140 until this new batch of guys showed up; at 147 he's a gatekeeper. Even if he somehow made 140, all the top guys there would kick his rear end. He's like, Andre Berto level at best.

Anyways, Valdez/Berchelt was sick. Happy for Valdez. I don't see how you keep him out of the pound for pound top 10 at this point. Hopefully Berchelt is alright. He took a vicious beating and obviously suffered some brain trauma. Sounds like a lot of late money came in on Valdez after the weigh in when Berchelt looked bad making weight. The guy is huge for 130 and has been at the weight essentially his whole career, even fighting at lightweight from time to time. This was almost certainly his last fight at 130. Hopefully he recovers, maybe takes the rest/most of the year off, and then comes back to compete at 135.

Bring on Valdez vs Shakur Stevenson.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

It's especially weird because it's highly likely Manny will be president of the Philippines either in 2022 or (more likely I think) 2028.

I mean, Pacquiao's comments on homosexuals aren't because he's an "rear end in a top hat", it's because he's deeply Catholic (as are like 85% of the Philippines) as well as barely educated. The average Filipino will likely feel similarly to him on the matter, and considering who their current president is, Pacquiao would be a massive step up in the morality department.

I agree that there's little point in holding boxers to any sort of real moral standard. Not a lot of altruists in boxing, at least not ones who are any good at fighting. I do draw the line at beating up women. There is 0 excuse for that. And that's another reason to dislike Adrien Broner.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

So did Yildrim do worse than Rocky Fielding? I feel like more was expected of Yildrim though I can't figure out why.

I didn't see the Fielding fight, but hard to see anyone doing worse than Yildirim. He didn't land a punch of note and hardly threw any punches. Then he just retired on his stool even after his trainer told him he was going to give him one more round.

Morrade Hakkar did better against Bernard Hopkins. This was like, Rod Salka level, which surprised me, as I thought that Yildirim could fight a little. To be fair, Yildirim hadn't fought in two years, which is crazy and clearly had an effect, but I doubt an active Yildirim would have done much better.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

oh no! what is bob going to do now

I assume pass away.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mike Coppinger is reporting that Gervonta Davis might be moving up to 140 to fight Mario Barrios, which doesn't make any sense to me. Outside of generational, transcendent talents, moving up two weight classes never works out. I know that Davis has had a few fights at 135 (even still holds a belt there), but he's essentially a junior lightweight, and not a big one at that. He's a short armed 5'5 former featherweight. For comparison, the top fighters at 140, Josh Taylor and Jose Ramirez, are 5'10. Mario Barrios is 5'10. Davis is not a superelite, A+ type of fighter who can consistently overcome a 5 inch height and reach disadvantage. Additionally, 130-135 has a slew of potential big fights for Davis: Ryan Garcia, Shakur Stevenson, Oscar Valdez, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Vasyl Lomachenko, etc. By comparison, 140 - especially once the Taylor/Ramirez winner assumably moves up to welterweight - will be pretty bereft of talent. Maybe Teofimo Lopez moves up there soon, but he's not there yet.

We also know that once someone moves up a couple weight classes, they don't move back down. Adrien Broner and Mikey Garcia were the last two examples we have of fighters doing this kind of thing, and they had their careers essentially derailed permanently through doing it.

Davis has had documented weight struggles and doesn't seem particularly disciplined in his personal life. This move doesn't seem like a good omen to me for his future in the sport.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Just saw Lawrence Okolie for the first time and was really impressed. He looked like a young Lennox Lewis dominating and knocking out Krystof Glowacki, who’s a 2 time former titlist and gave Oleksandr Usyk a competitive decision. He’s got the size to compete at heavyweight at 6’5 with a 6’10 reach. If he can gain enough weight and can carry his power to heavyweight, he’ll make waves there.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Vergil Ortiz is a beast, but he gets hit an awful lot. I don’t think he could beat Spence or Crawford, but he probably beats everyone else in the welterweight division.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If Crawford vs Spence never happens (or happens when it's way too late), obviously their respective legacies are tarnished forever. I don't really understand that possibility at all, as a fight (or multiple fights) between the two is not only THE legacy fight at welterweight for their generation, but it's also by far the most lucrative option for both of them. There are no legacy fights, or even particularly lucrative fights, at 147 or 154. There's no one on the horizon at either division that really matters at all.

Terence Crawford is 33 years old. Errol Spence turns 32 this year. Who are these guys going to fight? Yordenis Ugas? Jamal James? David Avanesyan? 147 is pretty barren. 154 is even worse. Even Vergil Ortiz, while a good fighter, isn't a legacy fight at this point. Fights like that make these guys low 7 figures. A Crawford/Spence fight likely makes them both 8 figures and also raises their public profile more than 10 fights against lesser opponents would.

Just a head shaking misstep through whichever lens you view it through if this fight never happens.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I felt the same way about Roy Jones tbh.

Roy went from looking like literally the most impressive human being to ever compete in any combat sport, to looking like one of the least impressive at any level. He seems ok to me mentally/verbally, but his "performances" in the ring are so humiliating at this point that he should absolutely never fight again. He moves like a 70 year old apartment superintendent and honestly looks like he somehow entirely forgot how to box.

Oscar de la Hoya coming back is also weird. Maybe he can get Felix Trinidad out of retirement for a fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Dillian Whyte just knocked Alexander Povetkin out in 4, who frankly never looked right throughout the fight. Maybe it was COVID after effects, maybe it was the fact that Povetkin is into his 40s and has had a long amateur and professional career, but his legs and balance were completely shot from the get go.

Povetkin’s had a good career, but he should probably retire at this point. He did about as well as a 6’2 heavyweight can do these days. Whyte has salvaged his career, and is right back in the mix of things now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jake Paul can punch! Will be interesting to see the next event against a youtube guy or a washed up pro athlete.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jake Paul is eventually going to have to fight someone with a pulse if he keeps fighting and winning, as eventually it will be almost impossible to get fights sanctioned when the opponent is making their boxing debut.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Heavyweight has some interesting fights coming up: Joseph Parker vs Dereck Chisora is next week, and Filip Hrgovic vs Michael Hunter and Adam Kownacki vs Robert Helenius 2 are coming up in the summer.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

LLCoolJD posted:

I hadn't realized that Parker-Chisora was so soon. Parker has little T. Rex arms but throws with such vicious conviction that I have trouble reading him.

Helenius is huge but at his age I don't see too much coming from him.

Parker and the Helenius/Kownacki winner are nothing but fringe top 10/divisional gatekeeper level, but the fights themselves should be good.

I'm actually looking forward to Hrgovic vs Hunter. Hunter is a small heavyweight but he's a talented boxer with decent power who went the distance with Oleksandr Usyk at cruiser and had a draw with Alexander Povetkin. If Hrgovic isn't legit, Hunter will dominate him.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 26, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joseph Parker just got the benefit of a dodgy decision that should have gone the other way in Dereck Chisora's favour.

Parker is just so unremarkable in about every way and I don't think I've ever seen an impressive performance out of him. I don't really have much interest in watching further fights with him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ruiz/Arreola was a very fun fight to watch, but despite the admirable weight loss from Ruiz, it was a worrying performance by him. He got dropped and hurt multiple times early in the fight, was reckless throughout and basically just decided to brawl with Arreola with no real game plan, and got hit with just about everything that Arreola threw at him. Arreola had essentially run out of gas and also suffered some sort of shoulder injury midway through the fight, and Ruiz still couldn't get Arreola out of there or even really hurt Arreola.

Ruiz ended up winning 8 or 9 rounds, but Chris Arreola is 40, hasn't fought in 2 years, and at this point is not even a top 25 fighter in the division. 5-6 years ago Arreola was in 50/50 fights with journeymen like Fred Kassi and Travis Kauffman. A fighter of Ruiz' status should not be getting taken to the limit by a fighter of Arreola's current level.

Despite talk of a rematch, I can't imagine that happens next, nor is it something that Ruiz' team should want either. This was apparently a "WBA championship eliminator", but considering the WBA has 4 or 5 titlists in the heavyweight division alone, I have no idea what that means, and Ruiz is clearly not getting another shot at "real" WBA champ Anthony Joshua anytime soon. Luis Ortiz was interviewed at the fight and mentioned he expects to fight Ruiz next, so maybe that is next. That would be a good barometer to really see where Ruiz is at, as he can't be showing up like he did tonight against any legitimate top 10 fighter and expect to win. Ortiz is well into his 40s and not a top 10 guy anymore, but he's probably still a bit better than Arreola is now.

Ruiz also needs to lose more weight. I know he came in at 256, but he is still a fat gently caress who could easily drop another 25+ pounds. He's about 6 feet tall, there's no reason he should be weighing any more than 230.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I've seen people bring up Deontay Wilder, Dillian Whyte and Joe Joyce, and I don't think Ruiz should fight any of those guys next, or really anyone who's legitimately a top 10 level guy. All of them would beat tonight's version of Ruiz. Ruiz clearly has some stuff to work back from and is not the fighter he was in 2019; not even the 285 pound guy from the Joshua rematch.

If Ruiz' team is smart they'll realize that their guy needs a slower build up to get his skills and his confidence back. Even someone at 40-something year old Luis Ortiz' level is a dangerous fight for him, but one that he would be still favoured in. Throwing Ruiz in with someone like Wilder is just cashing him out at this point. The heavyweight title picture is tied up for the foreseeable future anyway between Joshua, Fury, Wilder, and the Usyk/Joyce winner. It won't be until late 2022 or 2023 until he can secure another real title shot. Might as well use that time to get some wins against lesser competition while continuing to get into better shape and a better state of mind.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Assuming he doesn’t pull out of the fight (and Saunders has pulled out of multiple fights in the past, though always claiming injury), it will be nice to never care about Billy Joe Saunders again.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
BJS is very slick. He has a decent chance of winning 8 or 9 rounds (and then getting screwed on the cards).

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bad luck for Saunders. That was a close, competitive fight (I had it 77-75 Canelo), and Saunders looked to be coming on until he got caught with that shot. Canelo has developed almost freakish power at this point in his career though. That really is a differentiator for him now. He can use it to bully opponents and break them down, or just end the fight with a single punch. That, combined with his elite technical skill, make him very hard to beat.

Bring on Canelo/Plant. Plant is a similar fighter to Saunders, and I think Plant can use this fight as a blueprint for his own success. I don't expect him to win, but he's a very live dog.

Saunders gave a good accounting of himself. He didn't quit; broken orbital bones are serious injuries that end fights. Hopefully he can recover, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Caleb Plant himself, or David Benavidez, or even a rematch with Chris Eubank Jr.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

boop the snoot posted:

I’m think Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time but Canelo right now would probably beat the gently caress out of him.

Canelo is now several weight classes higher than Floyd ever was, so uh, yeah.

Canelo @ 168 still loses to Roy Jones, Andre Ward, Joe Calzaghe at least.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That Manuel Charr vs Chris Lovejoy fight may be the worst fight I’ve ever seen. Not sure how Lovejoy ended up 19-0 with 19 KOs, he looked totally inept in there, and completely quit the first time Charr landed anything of note. Charr didn’t look much better, but at least he looked like a legitimate professional boxer of some level.

Charr remains the “WBA World Champion in Recess”, whatever the gently caress that means. Not sure why he wasn’t able to fight in the last 3.5 years either.

Just a humiliating situation for the WBA.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Awesome the Fury/Joshua fight is happening, a shame that it's happening in Saudi Arabia and not somewhere like Wembley. Saudi Arabia typically provides a very dead atmosphere, hopefully the Brits can travel by then.

We get Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez next week as well. If we could get Terence Crawford and Errol Spence to sign a contract, this could be the best year for boxing in a long time.

Also excited to learn who the eventual Manuel Charr/Christopher Lovejoy/Bermane Stiverne/Fres Oquendo/Adam Kownacki/Robert Helenius/Trevor Bryan WBA tournament winner will be.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 17, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Very annoying decision, especially considering that Wilder has not fought at all and been basically radio silent since he lost in February 2020, besides the odd social media post.

Hopefully Fury/Joshua can go ahead and then Wilder is allowed to fight the winner. Seems like that would be a win/win for everyone including Wilder, as he would make a lot more money fighting the Fury/Joshua winner rather than just fighting Fury again.

Although, there is the aspect of the second Fury/Joshua fight, which I thought was included in the Fury/Joshua contract, so this will likely be a mess that has the potential to completely scuttle Fury/Joshua.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder would be immensely stupid to take an immediate rematch with Fury coming off his first loss (by KO) a year and a half ago.

Take the $20m+ step aside payout, fight a journeyman in the summer for a few million more dollars, then fight the Fury/Joshua winner for all of the belts and more money than you would make just fighting Fury immediately.

EDIT: Malik Scott is out saying Wilder won't be taking any step aside money, so clearly Wilder is still dumb as poo poo.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 18, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also excited to learn who the eventual Manuel Charr/Christopher Lovejoy/Bermane Stiverne/Fres Oquendo/Adam Kownacki/Robert Helenius/Trevor Bryan WBA tournament winner will be.

Following up on this - apparently Michael Hunter (who just dropped out of the Filip Hrgovic fight) will instead be fighting "Michael Wilson" (? Never heard of him mentioned even in passing) in a WBA heavyweight title eliminator fight on June 19th on the Teofimo Lopez undercard on Triller.

Also, apparently the Daniel Dubois/Bognan Dinu June fight will be for the WBA "Interim" title. This is despite the WBA having a "Super" champion (Anthony Joshua), "Regular" champion (Trevor Bryan), "Gold" champion (Robert Helenius), and "Recess" champion (Mahmoud Charr). Clearly the WBA does not know what the definition of the word "interim" is.

It's getting to the point where literally anyone ranked in the top 15 by the WBA is fighting for some sort of WBA title. It would be cool if the WBA senior executives got arrested for drug smuggling or something.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

Also for all the fans who are copetalking that it’s actually great business for wilder to not take a world heavyweight champion fight that his team just didn’t a bunch of time fighting for him to get, consider this: It pays a lot of money to fight for the championship as the first big post pandemic fight right away as opposed to waiting years for the winner to maybe grant you a challenge (after they fight each other 2-3 times and then fight Whyte, Usyk, etc) and it pays even more money if he wins.

If Wilder can get an agreement that he fights the Fury/Joshua winner immediately/next, it absolutely makes much more sense to take the step aside cash and fight the Fury/Joshua winner at the end of the year.

But this is also the guy who turned down a $100m+ dollar deal to fight Anthony Joshua twice to fight Dominic Breazeale for $10-20m, and fired Mark Breland for saving his career/health, so he clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Gonna be funny to see Wilder sparked out again. Supposedly Joshua is likely to fight Usyk now, which is a good contingency plan.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I think Josh Taylor takes it. He seems a little more talented; just a little better in most areas. It's definitely anyone's fight though. I like that they're both about the same size (5'10); I think Regis Prograis' relative lack of size was the one big reason that Taylor was able to win that fight.

Taylor said recently on an interview with Chris Mannix that he's not necessarily moving up to 147 if he wins, but I hope the winner does move up. Unless Taylor/Ramirez is super close, there's nothing really left at 140 for the winner, and I want to see Terence Crawford vs the winner of this fight. That would be the last two undisputed 140 champs facing off. Plus, Crawford badly needs opponents.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence announced for August 21st. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Terence Crawford is either ducking legitimate opponents or his management is completely incompetent (I assume the latter). The guy has failed to make fights with Pacquiao and Shawn Porter just over the last couple months alone, and his resume at 147 is severely lacking considering he's been at the weight for 3 years now. This Spence/Pacquiao news is out of left field; the fight was supposed to be Crawford/Pacquiao. Who's Crawford going to fight now? Mikey Garcia? There's basically no one else for him.