Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david carmichael posted:

Basically are we upset about the exploitation of the disadvantaged for our pointless benefit/entertainment, or are we upset that we let people box for any reason? I think that if there was no money in boxing and it was free to watch and people did it for voluntary fun like softball or rec bball then its fine. Just two consenting adults giving each other brain damage out of love of the game

I think it’s mostly that no one films sweatshop slaves dying of heatstroke or logs falling on lumberjacks and we don’t throw parties to watch it happen and cheer while it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

colachute posted:

Yes, but we don't watch the sweat shops where those are made, which was the point. Out of sight out of mind is actually a thing.

Yeah. As a fight sport fan you’re no more or less complicit in the death of a fighter than you are in all the other deaths that’s support your life style, but getting really amped for what turns out to have been a death match may make all that suffering suddenly much more immediately real to you

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

One of the best things about boxing right now is that it's really easy to find a replay of a biggish fight. Even if you need to watch it with spanish or ukranian announcers on youtube, it's there. And there's even a torrent scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOTHLMDWdY

Just a random thought that came to me while looking for Loma vs Salido

Oh and just to make this more than a dumb link to an old fight, how much taller/longer do you think Loma would have to be to move up through the divisions a la Floyd and Manny?

I wonder if Joshua will stand still and let Ruiz throw rights straight to his solar plexus over and over.

He’s taller than pac but has a negative reach-height differential, right ?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I feel like “washed” doesn’t really describe a guy who is fighting competitive matches and winning many of them against top competition. Past his prime sure, but washed up is absurd

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

Here's some fan fiction to enjoy.

AB's Diary - The Logan Paul Showdown Countdown

10 to go

Feelin fine. Yesterday I sparred 15 rounds with 15 fresh golden gloves champions. Moving like a pro. Tapering off from here. Need to hit Fight Night at max output. C'MONNNNNNNN!

Exhaustion: 70%
Confidence: 98%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 99%

8 to go

Some light roadwork. Yoga. Calisthenics. Lot of effort going into nutrition. Pretty much sitting at my goal weight before a small cut. Checked social media and it's a buzz to see so many people from so many industries tuning in. Hell of a promotional vehicle this. Fun to.

Exhaustion: 45%
Confidence: 97%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: I'll give him a break. He's trained hard to. 98.5%

6 to go

Went to the press conference today and it was an absolute shitfight. Why are there so many 8 year old children here, and who taught them all those slurs? I don't really want to watch that loving circus back to see if I was able to say anything worthwhile inbetween the insinuations that 'I don't even know' and the rap performance. I'm not going to lie, I didn't sleep well tonight.

Exhaustion: 55%
Confidence: 87%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 95%

4 to go

I've thrown my phone in the bin. I don't know why millions of kids are printing out photos of me and making GBS threads on them, but I'm almost positive I will never be able to use that twitter handle again. Oh. Yep. poo poo in the letterbox too.

Exhaustion: 70%
Confidence: 70%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: 70%

2 to go

I haven't slept properly in a while. What if I lose to this guy? I am objectively better than him in every measurable metric except for 'number of children exploited' - and that still makes me the moral victor in this. What do I stand to gain by doing this? There's no backing out now though. As humiliating as it would be to walk out there and be physically humiliated by that sneering shitbag, the only thing objectively worse would be to pick this fight and not go through with this. I have to go through with this.

Exhaustion: 90%
Confidence: 55%
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: ???

The Big Day

At least the lack of sleep makes the dickhead's inane banter easier to dismiss. All my friends are telling me things I already know about the difference in speed, training, and preparation. The expectation of me as a pro athlete is that I just blast him out of there effortlessly. What if I lose? Is there any single person disconnected enough in the united states to not know that I got humiliatingly laid out by Logan Paul within six seconds of it happening? Huh. Apparently when you get knocked out you sometimes subconsciously poo poo yourself. I'm sure I can just put that out of my mind.

Exhaustion: I'M A PRO ATHLETE BABY
Confidence: I'M A PRO ATHLETE BABY
Likelihood of beating the weird dickhead: THE ALTERNATIVE IS LOSING TO LOGAN PAUL AND EVERYONE KNOWING ABOUT IT

“Letterbox” and Antonio Brown doesn’t sexually assault anyone or threaten to kill his kids’ mom, you can tell this was written by an Australian who has no idea who Antonio Brown is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

Lol and would knowing who Antonio Brown is negate him from the extremely unique pressures placed on people who have never fought before?

no. I didn’t say anything about that I just made a domestic violence joke

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dunno if he can box but NateRob had a 10 year nba career and was a legendary dunker despite being about 5’9”, he’s a genuinely incredible athlete even old and washed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah the one guy was out of his league but pink gloves and theme is dope and that was a nasty cut to open in 90 fucken seconds

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do any of you guys like to yell "LOMAAAA" in a boston accent how they used to yell "NOMAAAAAR?"

All the time. You name a time. Yss

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GalacticAcid posted:

No way these guys go ten rounds

They’d both die

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Saucedo looks good when he gets in close, he was getting better angles and tiring barboza out inside in 6. But he’s probably down 5-1 or 4-2

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ccubed posted:

I like this instant replay rule. That was a knockdown and now scored as such.

Yeah. And I think Barboza is trying to bait out rabbit punches. He’s worn out and doesn’t look like he did in the first 5

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BrotherJayne posted:

Great stoppage too

Yeah at first I was like drat that was quick but he was done. Any more time and the poor dude is just forgetting cousins

Jiro posted:

Nice to see a good looking card on "free" tv. Saucedo just keeps using the Hajime no Ippo strategy of blocking punches with his face.

He could have turned this around after 6-7 but he really likes being punched

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GalacticAcid posted:

drat salute to both of them, shocked this went the distance

Yeah and I was very wrong. They both were still working at the end

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

is loma-lopez about to start? i've been doing campaign notes for d&d all night but i'm at a good stopping point

Not really. Last other fight ended but now there’s all the interstitial poo poo. You probably have ten or fifteen minutes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

is loma-lopez about to start? i've been doing campaign notes for d&d all night but i'm at a good stopping point

I haven’t played in a decade but what kind of campaign is it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

curse of strahd, vampires n' poo poo because it's halloween. starts out in a haunted house and gets worse

Give em hell lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lopez doing everything and still looking more concerned. A very weird fight

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it was 7-5 but one the whole Lopez was much better. They’ll fight again and he’ll be the prohibitive favorite

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

i think loma will look way better if he comes into the second fight with a gameplan of "punch, in this, the punch sport"

Yeah but he kind of never has? I wouldn’t t exactly say he’s scared of power but he’s not confident he can win if he’s getting hit a lot. This fight he took that to an extreme that’s hard to understand from outside though. He looked completely confident for six rounds while losing at least 5 of them

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean...that’s good defense at the same time. Those totals for Lopez would be limp in most fights, and it’s easy to see why lomachenko didn’t feel worried because he wasn’t really getting hit but...uh, he forgot the other thing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Ninth Layer posted:

He underestimated Lopez's range and speed and took too long to realize it.

Absolutely. It’s just interesting to think how he didn’t realize it so to speak. Because he wasn’t getting hit he didn’t process quite how he had no route to landing. He was sure Lopez would slow down and he could start generating misses and punishing them until it was way too late. The rounds just went too fast for him

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The SituAsian posted:

Teofimo tested positive for COVID so the Triller card Saturday is off meaning now only ESPN, DAZN and Showtime will have boxing on Saturday night. Dark times indeed.l

Edit: Apparently symptomatic which is especially bad considering he is asthmatic.

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1404854876098662408?s=19

At the moment there is not good evidence that asthma contributes to severity or morbidity of covid 19. It totally makes sense that it would but it appears that it doesn’t. Covid 19 is weird.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LLCoolJD posted:

Silva did look good in his boxing match, but on the other hand Ortiz is a larger, pumped up brawler who's probably going to be less gunshy than Chavez, Jr. So who knows.

He’s not really bigger, just fatter. Anderson had no problems at 205 and is the same height with a bigger wingspan. He’s also a terrible boxer and far more washed than Silva, who is pretty loving washed. There’s no way

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Flayer posted:

Fury is a better boxer than Wilder. Reckon Fury will wear him down and win by TKO in the 11th.

Hope you placed a bet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LLCoolJD posted:

James Toney (5'9") and Mike Tyson (5'10" on a good day) are two short heavyweights. Although Toney failed a drug test so he wasn't awarded the title. I don't see Canelo doing what those guys did at heavyweight.

Isn't canelo like 2 or 3 inches shorter than even that though?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

took inoue a while. Washed Up?!!!!???

Lol

For real though that kid took a loving beating, doesn’t even have a wiki page

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

balancedbias posted:

The only time I actually felt sympathy for Floyd was the scores against Canelo; he literally yelled "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!"

it must be very annoying to beat the crap out of some guy for 30 minutes then have someone say you lost (i know he didn't actually lose any of the cards)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The SituAsian posted:

Mikey Garcia updated his Instagram to "retired" world champ.

Strange times in boxing where a fighter can retire a legit four weight world champ and have what will probably be considered a very mixed career.

I don’t follow closely enough to understand why. 40-2 seems pretty loving good, both losses at the very end. Did he get a lot of gift decisions or dodge the real threats or something?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ah that makes sense. reminds me of a guy like javale mcgee, who has the body and athleticism and brain to be an all time basketball player but just considers it a job he doesn't particularly identify with so he's just a decent rotation player.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Freudian slippers posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but he's not the only one making the argument. Boxing was for a very long time one of the absolute best ways for athletic, but underprivileged youngsters to make money. Being someone in boxing used to be huge. Other sports have caught up and surpassed boxing in later years with regards to money and prestige, leading to a decline in the available talent pool and subsequent decline in coaching resources etc. Now, I grant that today's knowledge of human physiology and especially nutrition is a big advantage for modern boxers, but the talent pool and technique may well belong to the old timers.

This may be true in the US, but the population has almost doubled since 1960, and increased participation from places like the former USSR, Latin America, and east Asia makes up any difference and then some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The big issue is that even if Tyson has a pretty good chance to win an initial blitz, the far less satisfying reality is that Paul tastes his power, gets scared, then plays defensive until Tyson loses steam.

Like, Tyson doesn't just have some of the old Magic, Paul also has to be stupid or arrogant enough to stand and trade, whereas he's actually a super tall high school tier wrestler so he's definitely just gonna lay and pray until the heat's off. Can't wait to see Tyson land one surprisingly good uppercut then get laid on for several rounds and Paul declared the winner. Then 12 year olds can make tik toks of just where tyson first punches paul and the chad music plays.

it's a boxing match