Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A. F. Chancey M. Quillaquong's sci-fi smash hit: The Parallel Conundrums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Applewhite posted:

Will there ever be a sci-fi author good enough to have THREE initials in their name? Dare we to dream?

GRRM wrote some scifi, i believe.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

The Dregs posted:

The amusing part is how his main claim to fame before Game of Thrones was some kick-rear end snappy and to the point little SF short stories. "Sandkings" still rules.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dregs posted:

George R. R. Martin still only has two initials.

Now if he were George R. R. R. Martin, maybe I would sit up and take notice.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
J. R. R. Tolkien missed his calling. He could have been the greatest SF author the world has ever seen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did W.E.B. Dubois write any sci-fi?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
When it comes to genre fiction you really can't beat Warhammer 40k books.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

friendly 2 da void posted:

LeGuin is my second favorite sci-fi author. I didn't think anyone could best her until I read this book:

Criminally underrated imho, Attanasio is plugged in to some VERY advanced emotional hardware

gently caress, this is intense, dude. My adrenaline's already pumping and it's only page two!

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Applewhite posted:

gently caress, this is intense, dude. My adrenaline's already pumping and it's only page two!

quote:

What inspires you to write?

A.A.A.: The short answer is that I’m inspired by the mystery of reality.

And here’s a wordy reply (and more precise): We are all fugitives. We have always been fugitives from the void. Whatever comfort, whatever power we gain from outside of ourselves diminishes us – because comfort and power, unless they are won from the void inside of us, are illusions that make us forget the emptiness that carries us. When we forget that, we believe we deserve comfort and power and so are capable of any evil. We deserve nothing but what we make of ourselves. We deserve nothing else. And when we understand that, then nothing is enough. And the blank page is the ideal emblem for the mysterious void we face when we’re honest – and that inspires me to fill the page creatively!

Personally, I like it when the fat guy kills the cybergangsters with his firegun :twisted:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Applewhite posted:

George R. R. Martin still only has two initials.

Now if he were George R. R. R. Martin, maybe I would sit up and take notice.

You have a weird way of counting initials.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dregs posted:

George R. (1) R. (2) Martin

Look, obviously if his name were a monogram it would be "G.R.R.M." and he would have four. Yeah, doy.

But it's not written that way on the book. On the book only two of his names are initialized.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

CM Kornbluth wrote some fun stuff. 13 o’clock is like proto pratchett kinda, absolutely worth reading if you like humorous fantasy.

https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/kornbluthcm-thirteenoclock/kornbluthcm-thirteenoclock-00-h.html

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
For public domain fantasy on Gutenberg, I recommend Jurgens: A Comedy of Justice, which is like Medievalist Vance

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For public domain fantasy on Gutenberg, I recommend Jurgens: A Comedy of Justice, which is like Medievalist Vance

Isn’t Vance’s “Lyonesse” like Medievalist Vance?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Dregs posted:

How are you counting them?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

WatermelonGun posted:

Wrong. Look at this dumbass poo poo which made me start posting itt in the first place:

This type of disingenuous argument immediately pops up from every genre goblin on the planet as soon as actual literature is brought up. The person forums jackass tetsuo was responding to was pleasant, and was still immediately accused of posturing.
I'd like to apologize to everyone for effortlessly trolling you so brutally you can't stop posting your idiot opinions.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Groke posted:

The amusing part is how his main claim to fame before Game of Thrones was some kick-rear end snappy and to the point little SF short stories. "Sandkings" still rules.

Sandkings owns but I think my favorite of his was The Pear-Shaped Man.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I raided a the second hand bookstores of a welsh village last weekend for sci fi and came up with a pile of mint old paperbacks from clarke, ballard, niven and le guin, all with that real good schlocky cover art

Non Poster
Jan 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
In the ’80s, Ursula K. Le Guin & Todd Barton Recorded an Imaginary Civilization

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/03/22/music-and-poetry-of-the-kesh-ursula-le-guin-interview/

https://ursulakleguintoddbarton.bandcamp.com/album/music-and-poetry-of-the-kesh

Non Poster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 8, 2019

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

check out this crackhead

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
started 17776, the first chapter and prologue were really cool but im worried ill just get lost or bored from now on because i know nothing about football

Kaedric posted:

I remember liking this book and then kind of coming to the same realization that the author clearly did: oh poo poo this book is already like a thousand pages long and I need to very quickly come up with an ending whoops

thats why we need that sequel!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how modern american football works doesn't start mattering a lot more after the football game featuring people getting launched across Nebraska by tornadoes

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

The novel doesn't do justice to the moral and ethical complexities of assassination, and instead wastes the whole theme in the service of teenage fantasy.

I can't argue too hard with that.

You're right on the money with the lack of moral complexity. There is one scene where he's drubbing a kid for information and he's like "this is just like when I was tortured". The introspection only last for 3 pages or so and then poof.

I guess my soft argument would be that the books aren't really about him as an assassin. I don't think we actually have a scene of him assassinating anyone, just killing in hot blood or, one time, giving a woman boils. As an assassin, all the successes are related and we see only his failures. If anything, it's about him not being an assassin. At the end of the trilogy he's finally freed himself from the monarchy almost, and he can live as his own man, sort of.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

all i gotta say is if I crack open a book called the Assassin's Apprentice I better see a god drat teenager loving up a god drat assassination

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

all i gotta say is if I crack open a book called the Assassin's Apprentice I better see a god drat teenager loving up a god drat assassination
I chopped the target in half and then the two halves started sweeping the floor!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That ends up happening in book 4, Fool's Buttplug

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I can't wait for Hobb to hurry up and have her ghost writer start the new trilogy

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
i feel like liveship is way more "literary" while still being exciting. its like if the main characters were the rest of the royal family, but competent. way less psychic dogfucking too

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

The terrible truth is that "wrestling meaning" out of Book of the New Sun is not difficult at all. It's about man in a broken world being manipulated by strange and ambiguous forces to become its ruler and perhaps savior.

Fans miss the forest for the trees. Because they're trying to suss out whether or not Severian is himself or a simulacrum created when he drowned in the first chapter (or second?), they don't notice that he is never given any characterization (the best proof ever given that he is some kind of fake person).

Also, lol

The main narrative isnt the most interesting part on a reread. It's all the little details that make it truly worthy of being read through as many times as I've read it.

I'm gonna avoid earnestly arguing w you about these books but I also sort of want to pick q fight with you over your idea that severin gets no characterization. What? The entire tone of the books is "severin lying to make himself seem like a badass".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

The main narrative isnt the most interesting part on a reread. It's all the little details that make it truly worthy of being read through as many times as I've read it.

I'm gonna avoid earnestly arguing w you about these books but I also sort of want to pick q fight with you over your idea that severin gets no characterization. What? The entire tone of the books is "severin lying to make himself seem like a badass".

Severin (sic) doesn't have character because that would imply some voice or personality. He's really only just some mild tones of narration (modestly assertive, obsequiously self-denying, sharply observant, and philosophically musing).

He isn't lying to to himself to seem like a badass, he's simply unobservant and doesn't notice or understand the contradictions in his narrative.

There's an illustrative moment in the first book where some guard captain interrogates Severin (sic) on his journey and demands proof of his skill as an executioner before he leaves. Severin (sic) appears meek and humble, but is able to easily overpower and incapacitate one of the captain's men. The chapter ends there and Severin (sic) says nothing about what he feels and thinks about having done that, or being able to do that, or even what happens immediately afterwards.

That's how his "character" works: in negation. There are gaps like these throughout the books and rather than evoking a sense of mystery, they're just inconsistent. Like I said earlier, Severin (sic) is unobservant about the contradictions in his narrative, but throughout the books he's sharply observant and philosophical, so it makes no sense that he would be uninterested in the strangeness of his own life-story.

The general impression is that he's simply too busy writing everything down to stop and think about it, which leads to his inconsistent, negative characterization.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol you are strongly characterizing yourself as a wanker

E: though your analysis is solid so props

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm rereading a few of my favorite Pratchett books rn and taken altogether I will admit: tropes don't have to be subverted literally every time. Like, just once you can just play something, anything straight.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned James Tiptree/Alice Sheldon in this long-rear end thread about garbage sci-fi writers. Some of her short stories are amazing and I would recommend her to anybody. Plus the story of her life is interesting. She was in the army and the CIA and killed her husband and herself when they got too old to function. Her Smoke Rose Up Forever is a good collection of her stories. She also wrote two novels which are not that good.

I'm a fan of obscure czech writer/drunk Ladislav Klíma. He wrote two short novels which are both worth reading - The Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch and Glorious Nemesis. They are both about supernatural horror with some philosophical themes. They are also somewhat lighthearted and pretty funny which makes them easy to read.

When it comes to sci-fi-ish novels, my favorite is definitely Nabokov's Ada or Ardor though. It's about love story between a brother and sister and takes place in an alternate universe with some similarities to the turn of 19th/20th century. It's probably even more perverse than Lolita which might turn some people off but the characters are great and the story is actually quite touching. The first 50 pages or so can be really confusing but it gets way more readable afterwards, if anyone cares to pick it up. Nabokov can be kinda hit or miss from my experience, but when he hits, he hits hard. This is my favorite novel by him.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I mentioned Sheldon on literally the first page, dude.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Just started reading LeGuin for the first time - the Hainish Cycle - and I'm hooked. She brings warmth and humanity to her tales, and her world-building is top-notch. The concepts cross between sci-fi and fantasy... technology and mysticism. 100% recommended.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Labes for days posted:

I mentioned Sheldon on literally the first page, dude.

Well, that was many pages ago and she should be mentioned as often as possible.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Ayn Rand is loving terrible op

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Severin (sic) doesn't have character because that would imply some voice or personality. He's really only just some mild tones of narration (modestly assertive, obsequiously self-denying, sharply observant, and philosophically musing).

He isn't lying to to himself to seem like a badass, he's simply unobservant and doesn't notice or understand the contradictions in his narrative.

There's an illustrative moment in the first book where some guard captain interrogates Severin (sic) on his journey and demands proof of his skill as an executioner before he leaves. Severin (sic) appears meek and humble, but is able to easily overpower and incapacitate one of the captain's men. The chapter ends there and Severin (sic) says nothing about what he feels and thinks about having done that, or being able to do that, or even what happens immediately afterwards.

That's how his "character" works: in negation. There are gaps like these throughout the books and rather than evoking a sense of mystery, they're just inconsistent. Like I said earlier, Severin (sic) is unobservant about the contradictions in his narrative, but throughout the books he's sharply observant and philosophical, so it makes no sense that he would be uninterested in the strangeness of his own life-story.

The general impression is that he's simply too busy writing everything down to stop and think about it, which leads to his inconsistent, negative characterization.

your argument is total poo poo and you continued to use and then sic my misspelling of the protag's name constantly through your whole post. lol. id type in more words to make you look like a loving idiot but youre doing a pretty great job of that on ur own. moron.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The protagonist is named the river Severn (sic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember when I was little and my grandma's coffee maker broke and my dad was leaving to go get her a new one and she shouted from the kitchen "eikä mittä Saatana Severi!" roughly translating to "and no loving Severi!" referring to the appliance brand Severin which she perceived to be of less than stellar repute well that's my Severin story god bless.