Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Man, I dunno.

Any challenger would have to outdo both The Disposessed and the original Earthsea trilogy, just for starters... pretty tall order right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Oh is he a confirmed pedo now? I had my suspicions because of all the naked children throughout his books but I was hoping he was just oblivious or that I was being overly suspicious.

I know nothing beyond the facts of all those naked children you mention, and the man's ardent opposition to gay rights. I mean, he was on the board of the so-called "National Organization for Marriage". If that's not a huge waving red flag I don't know what is.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if your list of Impressive Smart Guy Authors includes not one person who's written something new in the last 30 years you're not fooling anybody and you're less of an intellectual than the guy who authentically enjoys Dragonlance novels enough to seek them out on his own initiative

Dragonlance books are fine if you're, like, 14. I remember them fondly. Don't think I'd bother revisiting them now though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Dregs posted:

Carrion Comfort has the best example of an antagonist that is both batshit crazy and extremely clever that I have ever come across. That Joker guy should take notes

Dan Simmons used to write good before the brain eater got him.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, he's really hit or miss. When I read Darwin's Blade I theorized that it was written by a ghost writer.

The man's brain was another casualty of 9/11. Biggest disappointment of my reading life was Olympos, after the hella intriguing setup in Ilium. (Compounded by myself being pretty heavily into classical stuff at the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Dregs posted:

GRRM wrote some scifi, i believe.

The amusing part is how his main claim to fame before Game of Thrones was some kick-rear end snappy and to the point little SF short stories. "Sandkings" still rules.