Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I've always felt China Mieville has extremely original settings and good prose, but his plots are kinda lame. I have never actually read Leguin. Is her stuff YA? I might check it out if it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

doverhog posted:

Define YA.

Young Adult. Harry Potter.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Mieville and Rothfuss are similar in that both of their readers are accustomed to Dungeons & Dragons novels and comic books. When they read Perdido Street Station or Name of the Wind they genuinely think the prose is exceptional, like a small-town kid who takes his first step into the big city and gets tricked by the most obvious scammer imaginable.

I said his prose was good, not that it blew me away or anything.

Rothfuss is loving horrible. I couldn't even finish his first book about the rear end in a top hat kid who kept loving up his free ride to magic college.

I guess I'll check out Earthsea. I think I avoided it as a kid because it was written by a woman and young dumb me thought it would be all about feelings. Which is even dumber because I liked Anne Mccaffrey as a kid.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 5, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

One time when I was in high school I think I saw some books by Terry Goodkind and was like "Hey! I've heard of that author! He's pretty well known and this is a popular series, right?" so I opened one up.

Oh...

Oooohhhhh...

:(

I googled Terry Goodkind after reading this post and LOL:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Hey now, I don't adorn my walls with Frazetta prints, but his art is really good. OK-I do have a Frazetta calendar.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

WatermelonGun posted:

I know literally nothing about Finnish literature. Please tell us more than their ridiculous names.

Why are you so mad I don't get it

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Blood Meridian scared the everloving poo poo out over me. I don't even remember noticing the prose.

His other one, I forget the name of it, the one about the apocalypse-that is one of the two books to ever make me cry like a baby. Don't read it if you have recently fathered a child.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 6, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe a genre author living in an HOA brutalized his tree

Carry on then

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm embarrassed by the times I have tried to read Dickens only to be foiled by the paragraph-long sentences. I need to try again. Maybe on audible.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Groke posted:

Dragonlance books are fine if you're, like, 14. I remember them fondly. Don't think I'd bother revisiting them now though.

I tried rereading them a year ago. They are unbearable.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
he's reeeally mad

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can someone recommend me some good female protagonist genre stuff? My 14 year old daughter devoured the Mistborn series and asked if I had anything else like that, and specified female leads.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Citcon posted:

The malazan book of the fallen series has a shitton of female characters and is great. Most of the top end characters are women. Its more mature than mistborn though so not really a girl power type of book.

Gods of blood and powder series is mainly a female protag series. The series its based on (that you don't need to read to understand this one) is more balanced. Quality adventure fantasy

I think I remember Malazan being pretty heavy, but I'll check into it again. Never heard of the other. Thanks!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

The March Hare posted:

Others have mentioned Gene Wolfe but I'll also leave some choice quotes about the man from his wikipedia page in this here thread for those on the fence.

“Wolfe is our Melville.” - Ursula K. Le Guin

"Gene Wolfe is engaged in the holy chore of writing every other author under the table." - Harlan Ellison

"[Wolfe is] possibly the finest living American writer." - Neil Gaiman

"Forget 'Speculative Fiction'. Gene Wolfe is the best writer alive. Period." - Patrick O'Leary

"Gene Wolfe is the greatest writer in the English language alive today. Let me repeat that: Gene Wolfe is the greatest writer in the English language alive today! I mean it. Shakespeare was a better stylist, Melville was more important to American letters, and Charles Dickens had a defter hand at creating characters. But among living writers, there is nobody who can even approach Gene Wolfe for brilliance of prose, clarity of thought, and depth in meaning." - Michael Swanick

Imma have to check this Wolfe guy out

Oh. He wrote BotNS. I read the first one and I didn't 'get' it. That's the one where they fight with poisonous featherswords right?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 7, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

AKZ posted:

Blood Meridian is a book that I return too every couple years. The first time I read it I struggled to fall into the "along for the ride" feel at first. Once I managed to hit the right stride it felt like the literary version of an impressionist painting. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I might suggest William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy to the OP to see if it catches. There are a couple sequences that seem to break from their setting in clever ways.

The Damnation Game is an old favorite as well and in my view is Clive Barker killing it early in his career. I much prefer the book to his later work that seems to get a bit overwrought. The Damnation Game is Barker writing sparsely and viscerally.

Dan Simmons' book Carrion Comfort has the feeling of a long form early Barker book, but his pace and threading of stories add an element that Barker didn't quite have. The Terror by Simmons is also a solid, but exhausting read.

Carrion Comfort has the best example of an antagonist that is both batshit crazy and extremely clever that I have ever come across. That Joker guy should take notes

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Groke posted:

Dan Simmons used to write good before the brain eater got him.

Yeah, he's really hit or miss. When I read Darwin's Blade I theorized that it was written by a ghost writer.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Applewhite posted:

Will there ever be a sci-fi author good enough to have THREE initials in their name? Dare we to dream?

GRRM wrote some scifi, i believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Applewhite posted:

George R. R. Martin still only has two initials.

Now if he were George R. R. R. Martin, maybe I would sit up and take notice.

You have a weird way of counting initials.