Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space is a new mobile game from the writer of Chrono Trigger. It's a free to play jrpg where you can spend real money if you want to get all your choice anime waifus and husbandos, but the game also rewards you with the resources to roll for characters by completing side-quests and beating certain enemies, so you'll be able to get your fair share without spending a dime.

It's also quite similar to Chrono Trigger. Aside from having a plot about time travel and the possible effects it can have, the game also has...

other

similarities

Hey Lavos, you in one of these, buddy?

The game is plays well on mobile (though it's an energy hog) and lacks some of the world-traveling overworld aspects that CT got from Dragon Quest, but there's still plenty of towns to go to and foot-travel, and there's not too much grinding involved.

It feels much more like a full-fledged game than some mobile freemiums, which are like watered down versions of their source franchise.

Also there's a lot of cats in this game. Maybe cats help sell apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Also notably there's no energy system limiting how long you can play, and no ads popping up encouraging the player to spend real money. It's remarkably non-intrusive for a freemium game.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

I was wondering when someone would make this thread. Thank you for doing so.

This game feels more like an old console RPG than any other phone game I've played. I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far.

I just got to the water elemental town.

I'm sure people are going to ask which character they should be picking from the fateful encounter. I went with Ciel, as he apparently can get to 5*, and you get a free Miyu for playing early (pre-ordering?). If you can't get the free Miyu, she's a good choice as well, similar to Aldo, but she's doing more damage.

I just did my first 10-pull, and I have no idea how to assess the potential of all these characters from the in-game information. I like all the character designs though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't really see the point of the gacha since it feels so much like a single player RPG.

I wish I could've viewed the sprites before I picked my first character but I figure it's whatever.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The gacha element seems tacked on as a way to make money. It also opens up specific character quests, but it’s primary purpose is to allow the game to be free while also providing a revenue source.

I’m a little annoyed that Riica is so far the only healer because I need scrolls to get her to 4 stars and I don’t know if I’ll be able to promote her to 5 stars. Healers are a rare commodity in this game.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I'm enjoying the game a lot. It does a lot of a decent character moments in the side quests and character stories. However, the boss fights are really my favorite parts since they have their unique dialogue and great music. This game hits a lot of same spots that bigger jrpgs do.

I do see a problem with gacha on the horizon though. As you get further into the game, the story characters feel more and more underpowered. I'm currently grinding out to try and get them all to 4*s to alleviate this, but it's pretty slow going with hard dungeons being time limited. My real issue is just with the simple fact that 5 star characters just get 20 more levels compared to a 4* ones.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really liking the game so far. It has a low time commitment too, just farming for class change items. I've even read that events that get added stay in the game permanently. At the very least, I plan on completing the story. Any issues I have with levels appear to only matter after that. We'll see if it's worth sticking around for further updates and so on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have been bombarded with ads for this game so I will try it out at least without spending any money.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I put this down due to having way too many mobile games to play but it’s fun. The last boss I fought was the time tower one and it’s gimmick made me use everything at my disposal to win so hopefully the bosses continue being cool

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'm getting to the point where characters will become useless unless I find the specific items that unlock their 4 star classes. Without that they'll reach max level and the game will come to a halt, so it's really a process of going through Another Dungeon levels to get those items. Which is more grinding than I'm comfortable with.

The bosses continue to be cool, each has a gimmick and balancing characters to hit their weaknesses works well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ccs posted:

The gacha element seems tacked on as a way to make money. It also opens up specific character quests, but it’s primary purpose is to allow the game to be free while also providing a revenue source.

I’m a little annoyed that Riica is so far the only healer because I need scrolls to get her to 4 stars and I don’t know if I’ll be able to promote her to 5 stars. Healers are a rare commodity in this game.
I asked around and some JP players told me it's mainly to circumvent grinding the upgrades. I apparently have not unlocked the mechanic in the game to upgrade rarities or whatever, supposedly the path to go from 3 star to 4 star is incredible and going to 5 star is very much dedicated to the game levels of grinding. So people just roll the gacha to bypass that.

I guess there's hard enough content to require that outside of the main game. I did not realize there's like 2 years of content in JP that we do not have.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Seems like this will become a game I play for a short bit every day, since I’ve now reached where it’s impossible to progress further without leveling up Riica with the right tome. And that requires those green keys that respawn 4 per day.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This game is vaguely reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and packed with characters that aren't relevant to the central story, not doing anything outside their own little quests. It's Chrono Cross but better. By mobile gatcha standards this is pretty decent.

Got Deirdre to three stars and she's already as effective as some of my four star characters. Getting a copy of Aldo's four star class book from the event rewards was a nice bonus.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They're giving away a one time gift of a thousand free gems plus another daily hundred for the two year anniversary of the Japanese release if anyone else is thinking of stocking up for when more content comes out.

Also there's a new not-Spekkio guy at the Spacetime Rift.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Rigging this thread baby. Perfect time to start playing I think we you get a free pull every day for the recent anniversary

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
All of the times for story characters are in the side episodes. Riica's is in the IDA part 1 episode in the future. That will save you some grinding for RNG, but put you on event grinding. At least events don't go away.

Keep doing the story and you'll get enough Chrono stones to roll a 10 spot fairly quickly. Especially once the reward for finishing a chapter bumps to 100.

Don't sleep on the three encounter characters, Azami in the present, Gariyu in the past and Cerrine in the future. You might now be able to defeat all of their fights but you can get a good sense of what they're about and when you finish the fifth fight free 4.5*.

Also, always do the character quests, another good source of Chrono stones, as are all the village quests and encountering new monsters. Plus character quests unlock attacks/spells and level up your VC, aka what happens when you pull a character from the back line to the front line.

If you have Mighty, Suzette or Shion go and do their manifest weapon fight in the space rift.

One last thing. I've been playing since last February and haven't spent one dollar and have plenty of 5*s. Both natural and upgraded. The gacha evens out.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. I've rarely grind, don't fish and Otherlands VH can eat me. But I have fun.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Amperor posted:

I just got to the water elemental town.

I'm sure people are going to ask which character they should be picking from the fateful encounter. I went with Ciel, as he apparently can get to 5*, and you get a free Miyu for playing early (pre-ordering?). If you can't get the free Miyu, she's a good choice as well, similar to Aldo, but she's doing more damage.

I just did my first 10-pull, and I have no idea how to assess the potential of all these characters from the in-game information. I like all the character designs though.

Free Miyu was only for pre-registering last year.

Post a pic of your characters and we can let you know. 3* Knights, Robots and Rainbow sisters are mostly trash. One of the knights, Bria is getting an AS 5* form soon.

Rascyc posted:

I asked around and some JP players told me it's mainly to circumvent grinding the upgrades. I apparently have not unlocked the mechanic in the game to upgrade rarities or whatever, supposedly the path to go from 3 star to 4 star is incredible and going to 5 star is very much dedicated to the game levels of grinding. So people just roll the gacha to bypass that.

I guess there's hard enough content to require that outside of the main game. I did not realize there's like 2 years of content in JP that we do not have.
The update schedule for Global has been accelerated, so we're only 10 months behind.

Ccs posted:

Seems like this will become a game I play for a short bit every day, since I’ve now reached where it’s impossible to progress further without leveling up Riica with the right tome. And that requires those green keys that respawn 4 per day.

You'll get to a point where you unlock a store and can buy green tickets. Also, run the IDA part 1 event to get a guaranteed time for Riica.

Cerepol posted:

Rigging this thread baby. Perfect time to start playing I think we you get a free pull every day for the recent anniversary

Last free pull was yesterday. Did you get anything good? I got mostly trash but did get a dupe of Ewan.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 7, 2020

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Fezz posted:

One last thing. I've been playing since last February and haven't spent one dollar and have plenty of 5*s. Both natural and upgraded. The gacha evens out.

I gotta say, after years of not being able to afford anything but lovely old phones (and not buying any apps since my 4th Gen Touch broke) I was finally able to get an 11 Pro Max in October and AE was one of the first games I downloaded, having heard great things about it - and this game, much like Last Cloudia, is so good at what it does and un-restricting for F2P that I'm probably going to go for that $35 deal they always seem to have going. A big fat tip in the jar, I guess. (LC's already got $8 out of me, no doubt more to come in the future.)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fezz posted:

Free Miyu was only for pre-registering last year.

Those posts were made last year.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Schubalts posted:

Those posts were made last year.

Haha. That will teach me to effort post.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 7, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've got like 5,000 of those free crystals saved up and I haven't pulled anything besides this last week of daily free ones. Pretty early in the story. Any recommendation as to which banner(s) I should spend them on?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JazzFlight posted:

I've got like 5,000 of those free crystals saved up and I haven't pulled anything besides this last week of daily free ones. Pretty early in the story. Any recommendation as to which banner(s) I should spend them on?

AS units tend to be better than non-AS, but other than that whoever looks cool. Main thing you're going to want to find is a healer, but I think a 4* one is good enough for a lot of the game and once you do the Persona 5 stuff Mona's solid.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'd say the best right now is the Anniversary banner with the manifestation banner a good second. If you want characters who give bonuses for the events, the first three episodes have permanent banners and the newest episode has a temporary one.

Everyone always says shoot for Mariel, but if you're early in the game any character is good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, I just finished an IDA school hard and Jade's shadow went up by 1. Never seen that before. Is that special for the star of the side-stories, or does anyone have a low chance of leveling up after a dungeon?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
All of the story characters have a 10% chance to go up in hard and 20% in very hard in specific dungeons. The episode characters get the episode dungeons and Amy is the Industrial Ruins, Cyrus Man Eating Marsh, etc.

https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Another_Dungeon#Story_Character_Light.2FShadow_Points

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Good to be aware of. Another question I haven't been able to find an answer to, are tomes that drop in dungeons affected by the units you have? For example will I get Dragoon tomes after Suzette's already that class, or if I didn't have her at all? If so, is there a use for them?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, I'm willing to give this game another shot. I quit ebcause the mains tory seemed to expect me to be more levelled up/geared up.

Any easy guide on mechanics/ways to level up new characters?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Check the wiki: https://anothereden.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Another_Eden_Wiki&useformat=mobile

The best leveling spot right now is the Beast King's castle. You may or may not be there yet. For me, I just park guys who need levels in the back row. Of course, I have too many that need to be leveled and I don't care enough to actually do it. Lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alright, I'm willing to give this game another shot. I quit ebcause the mains tory seemed to expect me to be more levelled up/geared up.

Any easy guide on mechanics/ways to level up new characters?

Main thing I'll note is that once end of time dungeons show up you're expected to poke around in them as part of the gear progression. When I got stuck on the main story I'd jump into one of those to upgrade folks' gear, and come out the other side with enough levels to be n top of it too.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I had no idea there was a thread for this game. I love it. I'm just about done with the original story (like chapter 22).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, I reinstalled the game. My party is lvl 25-30, at Chapter 13.

Did a 10-pull on the Anniversary banner, got Tsubame.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Fezz posted:

Last free pull was yesterday. Did you get anything good? I got mostly trash but did get a dupe of Ewan.

I got good luck on the free pulls, got Laclair and Ewan

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone here I should be focusing on? I'm around Chapter 15, finished the Persona collab, finished Two Knights, and have started on Absolute Zero. 5* (and possible) on the left, 4*'s on the right.

I've mainly been using Nagi AS, Suzette, Tsukiha, Morgana, with Toova AS and Felmina in reserve.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Like people have said, Suzette's a good AoE wind with her mighty weapon (once you can get that, peobably doable earlier if you have a cleanse for poison/pain, I had to brute-force heal it). The added skill effects don't come into play until you get the weapon to level 10 and beat the boss again, but each level lowers the cost and increases the power.

I've found between Slash (fire/slash) and Dream Needle (Pierce, and sleep if things don't die right away) Joker's got a whole bunch of places he can hit weakness. The skills are cheap and a double-cast will kill any non-resistant enemies so it's a great way to clear through a dungeon quickly if you're having trouble doing that. He only needs to hit weakness on one enemy to do a double-cast. Absolute Zero's got fire-weak enemies, my farming team is him carrying 5 score-multipliers.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Hmm, I'll have to mess with joker some. I've been using Tsukiha as my fire person, but that double use sounds interesting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Hmm, I'll have to mess with joker some. I've been using Tsukiha as my fire person, but that double use sounds interesting.

It definitely has him punch well above his weight level. His actual high-level skills are non-typed magic (aside from triple burst, which with auto-crit will absolutely destroy pierce-weak single targets) so I don't think they balanced around his cheap stuff. Even when not hammering weaknesses Eiha/Eigaon is a 25/35% debuff to ALL typed damage taken, making him handy support. Looking at his skills, I think he's one of my only characters where I wish I could bring more than three at once. Megidolan (AoE damage/stun that scales up with fewer targets so it's still viable) and Heat Riser (power/int +30% for 3 turns, most similar buffs I see are 1 turn) are neat but there's just no room.

E: if you didn't know, Mona does the same thing. He's just more limited in hitting weaknesses, only wind and one 50mp blunt attack.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 11, 2020

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Joker is good when grinding, his VC is usually enough to take out medium trash mobs. Good for leveling up or running ADs without having to Regen mp in the back line or use your food.

The new 5* is a healer, which is always nice I'd you don't have Mariel or Yuna.

Erina and Myrus will do in a pinch as well.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 11, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IDA school 1 done, all score rewards complete. Probably better things I could've been doing with my time, but it was what I chose to do.

IDA 2 up next, since I already have the team for bonus multipliers put together. Or maybe I'll go back to the actual plot. Things not being on timers feels so good, I can just play according to my whims.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Is anyone getting a crash when they try to enter the town from the persona 5 collab? I've tried fast travelling there directly and entering from the puppet theater but they both crash the app.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Filled out all of my cat catalog except for one, and it turns out she's only available MWF from 2-7AM my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This salamander boss at the volcano has some actual difficulty tied to him. What's the best way to tackle threats like him?