Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Man I feel like I got reamed for finally blowing through the first two IDA parts a ~week ago. I still have all of Ogre Wars Part 2 to get through just to unlock the next parts that qualify for the drop ticket. I've also been under the impression that Mythos is not easy content so I feel like that's a no-go, though that might just be an assumption based on its recency.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

well I wasn't expecting to get a white key that takes me right to the final stage upon returning but that was nice. Only problem is now I'm trying to figure out which treatise/codex to get.

I'm also kinda miffed I did do a pull on the Suzette banner but only got OG, its annoying that banners rate is split half among the new and the original

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man I feel like I got reamed for finally blowing through the first two IDA parts a ~week ago. I still have all of Ogre Wars Part 2 to get through just to unlock the next parts that qualify for the drop ticket. I've also been under the impression that Mythos is not easy content so I feel like that's a no-go, though that might just be an assumption based on its recency.

The more recent Mythos bosses have definitely been designed to prevent me from just casually cheesing them with OP characters.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Clarste posted:

The more recent Mythos bosses have definitely been designed to prevent me from just casually cheesing them with OP characters.

Yeah I just finished chapter 4 and it took Eva 3 turns to kill the boss instead of 1 due to multiple hp stoppers. At least it gives opportunity for other characters to deal done damage. I had forgotten how hard AS Suzette could hit.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cerepol posted:

well I wasn't expecting to get a white key that takes me right to the final stage upon returning but that was nice. Only problem is now I'm trying to figure out which treatise/codex to get.

I'm also kinda miffed I did do a pull on the Suzette banner but only got OG, its annoying that banners rate is split half among the new and the original

I'd prioritize opuses (for parallel versions of characters) since they otherwise only show up in red key dungeons, and not Garulea or Underworld. Red Scorpio gets you a particularly good character if you have his original.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Finally cleared the main story (through chapter 25) and grabbed my first manifest weapon on Claude. Most of my team is gonna require much more main story grinding to unlock access to it, but its a start. It really is wild how much content is in this game and how much poo poo just opened up on clearing chapter 25.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I managed to get the treatise for Victor AS, it looks like he's designed to work really well with another force, is that pretty much his deal? Does he work best in slash zone?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pretty much. Pump AF combo ridiculously high and then blow through a second HP stopper with a giant end-of-turn hit. Flash zone means you don't have to worry about a setup turn.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
AS Victor is used in a lot of cheese setups that rely on End of Turn attacks from characters like him, Milsha, AS Shannon, and others to basically jack up damage, reach the first HP stopper in a Turn 1 AF, then use the EoTs to effectively one-turn the boss through all the other stoppers. Even if you're not doing this, AS Victor's EoT attack is really strong even with a modest AF combo rate, since it scales insanely high. His spam move is also Thunder, and there's an upcoming Thunder Zone that extends the bar considerably when using Thunder moves in AF (but in exchange, non-AF Thunder moves don't give as much bar as in other elemental zones).

Interestingly, both Necoco and Red Clad Flamemancer switch their element zone-determinant moves to Thunder when in a Thunder Zone, but characters like Milla and Altena don't get any benefit. As if you needed any more of an excuse to be looking out for Red Scorpio Opuses.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I just realized I'm absolutely not getting the free 5* character because I've done all the easy stuff and need to clear up to story chapter 75! to continue in the mythos. I'm only at story chapter 59...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cerepol posted:

I just realized I'm absolutely not getting the free 5* character because I've done all the easy stuff and need to clear up to story chapter 75! to continue in the mythos. I'm only at story chapter 59...

If it helps I went through Ogre Wars part 2 and then IDA 3 just to get Ruina AS from it, so there's potential solace in the knowledge that the work would be fruitless anyway!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd forgotten about the free 5* event. I got lucky and was sitting on chapter 4 of the IDA part 1 so I was able to run through one quest and get the master drop. Shame it was Melina AS, whom I already had. :sigh:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
The new content just announced looks fun. That roguelike dungeon sounds like it has potential, it'd be nice to have a chance to use characters that aren't level 80 again. I wonder whether things like hrasta will carry over?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

reviving this thread to say that the roguelike is fun and the new shion is fuckin busted

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What roguelike and busted like Eva or..?

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

What roguelike and busted like Eva or..?

No idea on how busted new Shion is, but if you start up the new Apocrypha side-story you can get to the roguelike mode (Time-Twisted Maze) after doing a bit of that. You need Main Story ch. 22 completed to start it from Baruoki and it has some free characters as well as part of it (More details at: https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Wanderer_in_the_Vortex). Characters get sorted into general classes similarly to Lord of Mana, but are categorized by their weapon on top of that for the purposes of skills and passives you can find inside the roguelike dungeon, so while some folks can have more niche use (eg, Ruina still double attacks in there) you can set up teams in different ways based on what you end up liking in the mode. Some stuff can be carried out for use in the main game as well like weapons (which can be actually useful too), but you can see what that's like in the game through the tutorials.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

shion is the first and only preemptive magic zone setter and his gimmick is he can reverse what enemies are weak/resistant to. this is absolutely gamechanging, as recently a lot of superbosses have had giant hp bricks AND resisted everything. to paraphrase from his evaluation document, if a boss has 300m hp and resists all elements, then he effectively has 1.2b hp. if you bring shion and make the boss weak to everything, youve cut his effective hp down from 1.2b to 150m. i should not need to extrapolate on how insane that is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Does that mean if you lower an enemy's resistance it buffs it instead, or do debuffs still apply properly and separate from his shenanigans?

e: looking at Altima (since the EN wiki seems to be broken) I see the mermaid, Eva, and Flammelapis are all still 98-99 ratings too which is nice.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 15, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Shion can also, in theory, be picked up if you get enough of his books but they're drat rare to find.
That said, I've managed to get enough books for 2 of the other alternate form characters (black clad sword and red clad pyromancer) so it will happen eventually.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Well decided to throw 1000 stones at Shion and got him, so yay!

Have him join my Flamelappis team.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Does that mean if you lower an enemy's resistance it buffs it instead, or do debuffs still apply properly and separate from his shenanigans?

e: looking at Altima (since the EN wiki seems to be broken) I see the mermaid, Eva, and Flammelapis are all still 98-99 ratings too which is nice.

no, think of it like reversing polarity. it turns anything the enemy resists into a weakness and anything it is default weak to into a resist. you can then stack your debuffs as normal on top of that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Saw we had a free 10 pull ticket from some campaign and it gave me Philo (AS) 5* which is new.

And a dupe copy of Isuka(ES).

Paper Lion posted:

no, think of it like reversing polarity. it turns anything the enemy resists into a weakness and anything it is default weak to into a resist. you can then stack your debuffs as normal on top of that.

Ok yeah that's crazy powerful

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The only recent boss I can think of that actually resists everything is Cardinal Vengeance. AC Shion's best use case is not really when an enemy resists everything (which isn't common at all), but when an enemy has only (a few) resistances and no weaknesses, which is a lot more common nowadays.

EDIT: Amusingly, a tips tweet from the official channel points out that Weapon Manifestation fights have no weaknesses but do have resistances, making them ideal places to use AC Shion.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 18, 2022

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Arc Impulse posted:

No idea on how busted new Shion is, but if you start up the new Apocrypha side-story you can get to the roguelike mode (Time-Twisted Maze) after doing a bit of that. You need Main Story ch. 22 completed to start it from Baruoki and it has some free characters as well as part of it (More details at: https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Wanderer_in_the_Vortex). Characters get sorted into general classes similarly to Lord of Mana, but are categorized by their weapon on top of that for the purposes of skills and passives you can find inside the roguelike dungeon, so while some folks can have more niche use (eg, Ruina still double attacks in there) you can set up teams in different ways based on what you end up liking in the mode. Some stuff can be carried out for use in the main game as well like weapons (which can be actually useful too), but you can see what that's like in the game through the tutorials.

Just wanted to say it's not fully based on weapon. Joker is TEC and Radias is DEF. All the lances seem to be ATK n MAG is pretty easy to figure. Haven't seen any of my picks come up SUP, but that's prob just me not using those characters enough to pick them on the lineup.

I just found out about the Maze

E: Nevermind me, I just noticed it says it on selection.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

The collab for this year has been announced, they're doing Tales of again, with the Symponia and Arise cast. Llyod, Colette, Alphen, and Shionne are joining the team.

Also surprisingly the alter of Hismena is apparently coming to global early too. I didn't see the in-game announcement but they said it on the global livestream?

Also for anyone unaware, the Japanese version has just started part 3 of the main story, so there's that to look forward to.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Marluxia posted:

Also for anyone unaware, the Japanese version has just started part 3 of the main story, so there's that to look forward to.
Ooh, this might get me back into it, I've been tapped out since early last spring since I cleared the main story arc. I'm a pretty casual player, and the standalone dungeons and expanded battle mechanics have gotten to be a bit much for me at this point. I wish classic characters would occasionally get more new character-specific quests and stories even if there aren't any meaningful rewards.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

gloom posted:

Ooh, this might get me back into it, I've been tapped out since early last spring since I cleared the main story arc. I'm a pretty casual player, and the standalone dungeons and expanded battle mechanics have gotten to be a bit much for me at this point. I wish classic characters would occasionally get more new character-specific quests and stories even if there aren't any meaningful rewards.

The future mythos was pretty good for this. Really fleshed out Suzette. But otherwise, that's mostly what the alternative styles are for yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Marluxia posted:

Honestly, the main story content tends to be a lot worse than the side story stuff in this game, in large part because most the main characters have almost no reason to be there and Aldo absolutely cannot carry a story as the lead (although he works surprisingly well in side content because he's just this dumb guy who coincidentally gets involved in literally everything across time and space which is funny).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 19, 2022

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

(although he works surprisingly well in side content because he's just this dumb guy who coincidentally gets involved in literally everything across time and space which is funny).

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
So Im just getting into this game and its great, almost feels like a disservice calling it a mobile game.

So far Im only on like chapter 15 or something so I have a LOT of content ahead of me, I side tracked to get Joker and Morgana but otherwise have just been doing story.

I got a white key yesterday when spending my green keys... and I only found like 2 cat stamps before it ended, looking at the board of rewards , was I incredibly unlucky with the amount of stamps I got, or are keys way more common than my initial anecdotal evidence suggests or is this like a play for ten years long term goal kind of thing?

I bought the $6 beginner pack that has Necoco and the daybreak weapons, but my character levels have really outpaced how quick the weapons get upgraded. How much time and resources should I spend farming to craft gear vs just plowing thru story?

for example, my Necoco is level 66 now, using level 5 daybreak items, when I can craft level 38 weapons if I spent green keys on miglance castle hard , but is it worth it or just use keys on transitory time and let the raw stats from leveling carry me ? I figured farming miglance wasnt a bad idea because its supposed to give Aldo the light thing that buffs his stats and gives more gear and skill slots eventually, but the couple keys I threw at it didnt get me enough mats to craft anything or any light for aldo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Do the Chrono Cross collab because you can get a set of level 60 weapons and armor that will be far, far better than anything else you'll see for a while. Including other level 60 gear you'll see early on. Consider using the wiki as a guide so you can get all of the weapons and armor without having to repeat too much (you'll need 3 runs to get everything, iirc).

Also the Chrono Cross characters are really good.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do the Chrono Cross collab because you can get a set of level 60 weapons and armor that will be far, far better than anything else you'll see for a while. Including other level 60 gear you'll see early on. Consider using the wiki as a guide so you can get all of the weapons and armor without having to repeat too much (you'll need 3 runs to get everything, iirc).

Also the Chrono Cross characters are really good.

Cool I will start that, does the difficulty effect rewards? Im assuming I should be on beginner since I dont even know what qualifies as middle of part 1 of the story vs 1.5 or 2

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AFAIK, the difficulty setting for that event only impacts enemy stats so there's no reason not to set it to the lowest level unless you're looking for more of a challenge.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Hi posted:

I got a white key yesterday when spending my green keys... and I only found like 2 cat stamps before it ended, looking at the board of rewards , was I incredibly unlucky with the amount of stamps I got, or are keys way more common than my initial anecdotal evidence suggests or is this like a play for ten years long term goal kind of thing?
The "length" of the white key dungeon varies. Each time you exit a room, there's some probability you advance to the next room in the sequence, or else get dumped straight to the end. As you progress through each room, the chest rewards improve and you can get an additional cat stamp. I think some rooms might also have two cats? There are also a couple of rooms that aren't part of the main sequence and occur randomly. In one of them you can get like 20-30 cat stamps at once. There's another with straw dummies where you can get a bunch of XP scrolls. But yeah, it is a pretty long term thing, I've been playing off and on for a couple of years and I think I have about 250 cat stamps.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

gloom posted:

The "length" of the white key dungeon varies. Each time you exit a room, there's some probability you advance to the next room in the sequence, or else get dumped straight to the end. As you progress through each room, the chest rewards improve and you can get an additional cat stamp. I think some rooms might also have two cats? There are also a couple of rooms that aren't part of the main sequence and occur randomly. In one of them you can get like 20-30 cat stamps at once. There's another with straw dummies where you can get a bunch of XP scrolls. But yeah, it is a pretty long term thing, I've been playing off and on for a couple of years and I think I have about 250 cat stamps.

Yea I assumed it work someway similar to that, but yike that 2000 stamp reward list I guess I can just forget about haha.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently the number of rooms used to actually be random, which people could game by cutting their link at the right time if they got the dead end room, so now your number of rooms you can go through is set as soon as you use the white key.

I'm guessing those players who knew about the trick back when it was possible made heavy use of it since the last or 2nd to last room can apparently give payer codexes or w/e those extremely rare character upgrade materials are called.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

I logged into the discord and have been making heavy use of their guides and faqs but do you guys have any other one off newbie tips?

I mean it seems pretty hard to make permanent bad decisions, and Im certainly not struggling or anything, but like the do chrono cross collab instead of farming mats for gear kind of tips are always appreciated

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
There’s usually updated roadmap progression guide posts on Reddit that absurdly cover it all

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently the number of rooms used to actually be random, which people could game by cutting their link at the right time if they got the dead end room, so now your number of rooms you can go through is set as soon as you use the white key.

I'm guessing those players who knew about the trick back when it was possible made heavy use of it since the last or 2nd to last room can apparently give payer codexes or w/e those extremely rare character upgrade materials are called.
Yeah the last room you get 3 chant scripts and a character upgrade tome which (if you get enough) can let you unlock a characters another style, extra style, or alter form (all the recent ones of which are very powerful in their way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also if you get to World V (Barouki exterior), if Aldo's cat is present, tapping him guarantees a win. Otherwise you're playing the odds on the final warp (which you will usually lose). There is also about a 1% chance the bard who gives you an upgrade memoir of your choice will show up in the "losing" final room. But yeah in its current implementation it's completely predetermined (other than ignoring Varuo if he's there, which you should not do), so it doesn't matter which exits you take, pick whatever your superstitious fancy tells you.

Also a good idea to eventually progress the main story, if only because it unlocks more places and things, and because in a month or so they'll be releasing the first part of the third main story arc, and it introduces a shitton of content, including an entire new time layer world map with dozens of locations, a ship you can sail around, a long and very involved bounty hunting sidequest, multiple superbosses, and a new Buddy feature for a pseudo 5th party member who can provide damage, buffs/debuffs, healing, and other support with an end-of-turn move. Of course, it also isn't going anywhere, because of how the game works, so it's not really a rush.