Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yes, both Shanie and Lokido have had their manifest weapons released, which is nice, as even if the second fight hasn't been won, the weapons still help out. Shanie is a real good water booster, which if you don't really have a water team isn't going to do much.

There is one 3* that has an upgrade to 5* on the JP server. I'm not sure if that's made its way to global yet or not..

Also when you get the light/shadow point items, don't use them on the story characters. Most of them will be able to be increased by running them through dungeons.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I finished the Joker quest line and he is incredible: just keeping him in reserves and switching to him wipes most low level groups. Great for the grind, especially as it costs no mp.
Altogether very pleased with Joker.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
As a side note, Renri(AS) the current banner is still the #2 best Fire unit in the JP server which is ahead of global if you wanted to nab a strong character. I have a good base already so I'm saving up for the 98 rated characters (Renri is 97, highest so far) that will be available eventually.

Lobsterpillar posted:

I finished the Joker quest line and he is incredible: just keeping him in reserves and switching to him wipes most low level groups. Great for the grind, especially as it costs no mp.
Altogether very pleased with Joker.

Morgana is incredibly good too, if you get their unique weapon they can heal almost as well as the best healer and their AoE attack clears out enemies like nothing, especially if they're weak to wind since it'll hit twice and can crit.

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 11, 2020

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I just started this game and completed chapter 2 and been having fun! Summoned two units so far, two 4 stars, Pom and Soira and got Ciel as my choice for first optional unit. Having a blast so far.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I got the new Myrus (Cybele) in the draw today, it looks like she has some amazing skills in the 5* skill tree.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Lobsterpillar posted:

I got the new Myrus (Cybele) in the draw today, it looks like she has some amazing skills in the 5* skill tree.
Dang, Earth Spiral looks extremely strong. I like that it buffs the whole party while doing good damage.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

gloom posted:

Yay, got a 5* Tiramisu on my second pull of the banner! This game's RNG has been REALLY forgiving to me, I like it. But I'm still going to start banking stones for future character designs that I really like, instead of doing 1-2 pulls per day just for the heck of it.

Anybody have suggestions for dealing with Suzette's final weapon manifest? I can't figure out how to survive the rounds of buffed attacks without losing most or all of my team. I tried using Erina to remove the buffs from one with Reset but got wiped out by the others. Yuna's -25% power thing wasn't enough either. From reading around I see that Gariyu can help a lot with Burning Shield, but I'm not too excited about using the resources to level him up.
Suzette's manifest weapon update: I'm getting closer, I can usually take down the annoying team-buffing left Suzette clone before my team gets wiped now, and get the other two clones to about 50-60%. I use Yuna for her -25% debuff, Mariel for healing / type resistance, and Lovely for wind resistance and some damage, with Amy dealing most of the damage and Suzette and Dunarith in the back ranks.

A couple of times I've gotten down to 2-3 of my characters against the two remaining (unbuffed) Suzettes, their attacks doing 300-500 damage on average, and out of nowhere a demonic thrust will hit for 1500 or so damage plus the poison damage at the end of the round and my team is done. It's super frustrating. Is this partly because of the luck stat? I'm not sure exactly what spirit / luck / endurance all do. I'll keep trying until I either get Mana or enough materials to take Gariyu to 5* I guess. I think I just need more physical damage mitigation.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

gloom posted:

Suzette's manifest weapon update: I'm getting closer, I can usually take down the annoying team-buffing left Suzette clone before my team gets wiped now, and get the other two clones to about 50-60%. I use Yuna for her -25% debuff, Mariel for healing / type resistance, and Lovely for wind resistance and some damage, with Amy dealing most of the damage and Suzette and Dunarith in the back ranks.

A couple of times I've gotten down to 2-3 of my characters against the two remaining (unbuffed) Suzettes, their attacks doing 300-500 damage on average, and out of nowhere a demonic thrust will hit for 1500 or so damage plus the poison damage at the end of the round and my team is done. It's super frustrating. Is this partly because of the luck stat? I'm not sure exactly what spirit / luck / endurance all do. I'll keep trying until I either get Mana or enough materials to take Gariyu to 5* I guess. I think I just need more physical damage mitigation.
One more update: I finally cleared it pretty easily with Tiramisu, Amy, Yuna, and Mariel, with Suzette and Dunarith in back! I didn’t think to use Tiramisu at first, because Suzette’s manifest weapon encounter resists earth. But it turns out Summoner’s Prayer absolutely shreds, by ignoring all resistances and dealing damage based on her SPR. Tiramisu was coming in for about 71k damage on all three targets each round. I still lost Suzette and Dunarith but it was easy to keep her upright with Yuna debuffing and Mariel healing each round.

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
Crono Trigger is in the title. I have to try this now.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
The new First Knight and the Holy Sword episode is amazing Chrono Trigger is old news, we Chrono Cross now

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I've been playing this VERY slowly, just recently got to the first future city after the prologue, but I love the design and gameplay so far. I recently got up to 1000 chronos though and I have no idea which of these banners to go for. I only have a Miyu and a handful of 4 stars from the first 10-pull they let you do- should I just pull on the newest banner or should I be aiming for staples first?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've been playing this VERY slowly, just recently got to the first future city after the prologue, but I love the design and gameplay so far. I recently got up to 1000 chronos though and I have no idea which of these banners to go for. I only have a Miyu and a handful of 4 stars from the first 10-pull they let you do- should I just pull on the newest banner or should I be aiming for staples first?
If you don't have a strong healer yet, it might be worth choosing the current "Healing Light" banner. Otherwise I don't think it matters too much, read about the featured characters for each one here https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Characters and pick whichever banner has someone that appeals to you.

The chances of drawing any specific character are super low, and pretty much every character has some useful skills that you can plan your lineup around. Having more characters in reserve gives you more flexibility.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

If you want to try your luck the Radias banner right now is pretty good, she's the best tank in the game with giving everyone a universal 50% resistand a self-heal. That being said, it's a .4% chance to get her and the other 5* on the banner, Shion, is very powercrept.

IMO the best thing you can do for your roster is beat Chapter 2 and play through the Persona 5 collab. The two free characters you get from it are extremely extremely good and one has a very good healing skill.

Outside of that there aren't really any bad banners coming up (based on JP schedule) if you avoid the Another Style ones.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The current Whisper of Time campaign is nice. Once you redeem ten you can draw a single guaranteed 5*, with a moderate chance up on the ten most recent five stars. Don't sleep on Whisper of Time, I've pulled a 5* twice on different WoT campaigns.

Also got Philo and AS Mariel recently, not sure how useful they'll be.

Been going after more manifest weapons and I was able to beat Laclair's with Earth zone. I think I now have all the weapons that have been released for characters I've got.

Good luck with all your pulls.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Yeah my most recent few Chrono stones 10 pulls have only resulted in a few 4 stars, so a chance at more 5 stars is welcome. I don't have that many, and am pretty limited in the fire and water elements.

I'm really glad that I got Tiramisu because she makes most mobs trivial provided you've got enough mp.

Also I see that 5* Diedre has a manifest weapon and yes it's exactly the weapon you'd expect.

Exactly how much Japanese content is there still to be rolled out? How far behind is there English version?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Lobsterpillar posted:

Exactly how much Japanese content is there still to be rolled out? How far behind is there English version?

https://anothereden.miraheze.org/wiki/Upcoming_Content

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

GeekTheMage posted:

The new First Knight and the Holy Sword episode is amazing Chrono Trigger is old news, we Chrono Cross now
Just finished it on the weekend and couldn't agree more. Great use of alternate timelines for storytelling. It felt more vivid and richer than any of the previous episodes so far, I'm excited to see if this continues. I also liked that the special item collecting is optional, just for rewards, rather than necessary to advance the narrative. And the burning beast king's castle music might be my favorite in the game so far.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Philo is real nice. His five star board has an ability that makes everyone in the party auto crit.

At some point there's going to be a rainbow drop where you can choose an element and get a five star from that element when you start a new story part. Once only, not each time you start a new part.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Started playing this game and its pretty cool. Just got my first 1000 chronos stones. What's the best way to spend them?

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Started playing this game and its pretty cool. Just got my first 1000 chronos stones. What's the best way to spend them?

Of the currently active character banners, the three Another Style Series banners have a higher chance than most of pulling a 5*, so I don't think it would be a bad idea to pull on one of them.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"How reference heavy is this game going to be? The Chrono series is maybe my all-time favorite, so-"
*Walks into living room, sees the Frozen Flame just chillaxing in the corner with no explanation*
"...Fuckin' A, man."

Possibly dumb newbie question: is there an option to keep the same reserves you ended a fight with instead of it resetting to what you entered with? Mighty is doing most of my heavy lifting at this point and it's annoying having to go to the party change screen when I only need him to sit out a couple random encounters to regenerate some MP.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
No, there isn't an option to set that.

Just every couple of fights rotate your party to regenerate hp/mp. Or eat your food, you can get some in almost every town.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
You could always swap him out in the first round of combat. It works better when your speed is higher than the enemy so there isn't a possibility of getting ko'd before your turn, but is fine if it's just mp regen that you need. You get the health and mp regen in the reserves at the end of the round, not the start.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
This game is awesome, no stamina system or time limited events address my two biggest mobile game complaints. I just finished chapter 25, I laughed when it turned out the title, which I originally thought was jrpg word soup, was actually a straightforward description of a major plot point.

What gear should I be looking at when I hit max level? Am I going to have to climb the ladder of stuff that's been released over time or can I just skip to current endgame gear?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Edly posted:

This game is awesome, no stamina system or time limited events address my two biggest mobile game complaints. I just finished chapter 25, I laughed when it turned out the title, which I originally thought was jrpg word soup, was actually a straightforward description of a major plot point.

What gear should I be looking at when I hit max level? Am I going to have to climb the ladder of stuff that's been released over time or can I just skip to current endgame gear?
Some of the current best gear depends on materials that can only be found in areas that open up in much later chapters, like when you get to Garulea Continent. I generally bought the top stuff that was available as I progressed through the main story, but I didn't bother farming upgrades for it in the Another Dungeon or anything. It's been working out OK for me so far. Outside of niche cases (e.g. the Dream Ring that increases speed) there doesn't seem to be any reason to grind upgrades for older gear. It might be necessary to upgrade current endgame gear in order to be effective against current endgame bosses, but I'm not really dedicated enough to worry about it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just beat chapter 23 and got to the reveal that this is all basically a spin-off about what happens to the cat that jumps in the portal at the end of Chrono Trigger and I am absolutely dying over here. This is exactly what I needed In These Difficult Times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nameless Pete posted:

Just beat chapter 23 and got to the reveal that this is all basically a spin-off about what happens to the cat that jumps in the portal at the end of Chrono Trigger and I am absolutely dying over here. This is exactly what I needed In These Difficult Times.

If this were done by anyone other than the actual Chrono Trigger guys it would feel so cheezy. Instead it's just charming.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just picked this game up over the weekend and it's pretty fun. Picked Ciel as my starter 4*, and managed to pull another one on all 3 of my 10-pulls so far (one at 4*, the others at 3*). The second of those also got me Tiramisu, and for the level range I've used her at so far (around 20-35) she's felt like cheating. I'm sure 5000 points to everything no-questions-asked will eventually become less impressive, but for now she eclipses everyone else on my team all the time.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Welcome!

Feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to answer them. Don't worry about missing events, they don't go away. But as a new player you should go for the Persona collaboration as soon as you can.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

I just picked this game up over the weekend and it's pretty fun. Picked Ciel as my starter 4*, and managed to pull another one on all 3 of my 10-pulls so far (one at 4*, the others at 3*). The second of those also got me Tiramisu, and for the level range I've used her at so far (around 20-35) she's felt like cheating. I'm sure 5000 points to everything no-questions-asked will eventually become less impressive, but for now she eclipses everyone else on my team all the time.
Tiramisu stays impressive! I've got her up to level 80 with a few SPR buffing grasta and she's doing about 90,000 damage with the summon. It one-shots almost all mobs and is useful against many bosses, but sometimes swapping her out for a different complementary unit to make an all elemental team (other than earth I mean) can result in slightly better overall damage or survivability in tough encounters. I imagine she's extra good on an all earth team, but I haven't done it much for lack of other strong earth characters.

I also feel like using her for the main storyline makes it a bit too easy, but she's been invaluable for the more grindy side quests.

Fezz posted:

Welcome!

Feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to answer them. Don't worry about missing events, they don't go away. But as a new player you should go for the Persona collaboration as soon as you can.
Seconding this, Joker and Morgana are great, and their story quest is pretty fun. I wish I had done it earlier. There's also a second Persona collaboration coming soon, here's hoping it's as well written as the first one.

What are people's favorite episodes so far? I thought First Knight and the Holy Sword was outstanding, the highest point of the game for me so far, although there haven't been any real letdowns. The Time Mine resource gathering mechanic is a chore that I will probably never finish. I haven't started the Lost Tome one yet, saving it for free time over the holidays.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've gotten through part 2 of the P5 collab and am up to what I think is the last segment of part 3. Morgana is my main healer now, and Joker hangs out in the back row. I've gone back to clear out some other side quests before finishing up, but I'm going to want 5* Joker soon.

My only actual 5*s at the moment are Dewey and Morgana, but I have Ciel, Ruina, and Foran at 4* and Nikeh at 3*, all of which can potentially get to 5* at some point. I've had success putting Dewey at the head of a group of Water users (Cyrus and Denny, for example), and I may go back to that for a while depending on how upgrade materials shake out. 4* Tiramisu will only carry my team for so long.

How tempting is buying stones? I had to go cold turkey and give away my Puzzle & Dragons account about 5 years ago because I was making bad decisions with my time and money. Everyone says that their game is truly free-player friendly, but that's not what these games are designed for. Anyone here been at it since the game's release with a completely free account?

Anyways, came for the Chrono Trigger references, stayed for the Gacha endorphin rush.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
With a little luck and some grinding you can get Tiramisu to 4*. She was also one of my first few 5* pulls and is still a staple, and with some hefty spirit boosts she's doing 196,000 per hit.

I got lucky on my last two pulls and got both victor and thillellee. Both at 4*, but I have the resources to upgrade thille to 5*.

Buying stones can be tempting but really you're paying quite a lot for just one pull. Then again, now is probably the best time to buy stones because the star dream encounter gives you a free 5* of your choice- plus a random one.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, so I have enough stones for another 10 pull. What banner do you recommend? I seem to have a good piercing team shaping up (Foran, Tiramisu, Ciel, Joker).

ETA: Pulled on the Victor banner, not that it made an obvious difference. I picked up Lokido and Miyu (both at 4*). It looks like I'm a lot of grinding away from graduating anyone to 5* or AS. That means I've got only Joker, Morgana, and Dewey at 5* for the near future, unless I get someone on my next pull. My current team of the above three plus Tiramisu, Ciel, and Foran seems to be getting the job done so far. Any great substitutions I should be making/training up? I'm at the point in the plot where there's a big hole in the sky in all three eras, which I'm about to explore.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 20, 2020

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Morgana is a good healer, but if you get an opportunity for a banner with Mariel on it, try for that. Mariel's healing is great.

You'll also gradually get opportunity to upgrade many of the free characters to 5*, most of them without needing chant scripts.

There is also free characters available via episodes. Jade and Diedre are both very strong although it takes a while before you get them to 5*. For a piercing team, Jade in particular would be useful to you as he is a fire/lance user and he gets a skill that buffs lance users damage.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

There is also free characters available via episodes. Jade and Diedre are both very strong although it takes a while before you get them to 5*. For a piercing team, Jade in particular would be useful to you as he is a fire/lance user and he gets a skill that buffs lance users damage.
The good news though is that Deidre's two episodes are extremely fun!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Both Ciel and Miyu have quest events that eventually allow you to upgrade them to 5*.

There are four more free characters you can find and fight to get eventual five star characters. Three are on the world maps, the fourth is only encountered after fishing for a tedious length of time and I honestly can't recommend you go for her.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Another pull, and now I have Mariel! Still haven't pulled anything at 5* or AS except for Dewey. Incidentally, his damage is starting to pull way out in front in boss fights, now that my main party's levels are in the late 40s. It's getting to the point where I can probably blast through the plot and open up Very Hard dungeons so I'll have a chance to start promoting some 4 stars.

I'm sure y'all noticed, but I wanted to comment on how didactic all the sidequests are. In this one Aldo learns about racism, in that one he teaches a college student what friendship is, and so on. I know it's targeted at kids, but it seems a little much when every moment of your time traveling adventure is imparting a new Valuable Life Lesson.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Alright, stab team is go! Pulled AS Foran this morning. So now I have Morgana, Tiramisu, Ciel, and Jade in the front line, with Joker and Foran waiting to jump in. Jade is just filling space until I get more of IDA School done.

I've also got 4* Hardy, who looks pretty good if I can put together a team for him, but right now my stabbers are in better overall shape. Gariyu and Aldo would be good for that team, of course, and I also just pulled Renri, who seems like she would be amazing if I can get her AS.

Dewey is great all by himself, but he really wants a team full of water punchers, which doesn't seem to exist.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
There's another free fire character that you get through the main story, I think around the Ogre Wars chapters. He would make a good addition to a fire team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Checking in! I'm a little past the first ending, and things are opening up. I've cleared the auction house story (still Rank to grind), IDA school through part 2 (and got owned by the final fight for Jade 5*, to the point where I'm pretty sure that one's going to have to wait), and Two Knights, so I'm clear to start the next main plot chapter. I'm also about midway through the cat spaceship.

Roster (Gacha only):
5*: AS Foran, Dewey (Manifest at about level 5), Laclair (same), Renri
4.5*: Tiramisu, Ciel, Hardy, Mariel, Miyu, Lokido, Shannon, Tsubame, Yipha
Misc: Bivette 4*, Ruina 4*, Nikeh 3*

P5: Joker, Morgana, Violet
Encounter: Gariyu 3*, Azami 4*
...and the side story characters you'd expect from the stories I've beaten.

My best team right now is basically the same as before with Laclair replacing Ciel. I could also make something of Fire or Blunt, but most of those teams are stuck at 4* and upgrading is very grindy in this game. Current priorities for upgrade are Tiramisu, Hardy, and Mariel. Plus of course Jade if I can get together a Minimum Viable Party for that boss fight.

I went ahead and bought the choose-your-own 5* pull. Any recommendations? AS Yuna or the Earth zone setter both look tempting.