Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

:siren: OP is a little out of date. A new one will be provided for season 8 in February. :siren:

Apex Goons Discord

Released in February 2019, Apex Legends is a hero based Battle Royale. Yes, I know, you're already tuning out, but this is made by Respawn Entertainment, who despite their lack of wide market appeal made the superb Titanfall 1 & Titanfall 2. While this game doesn't inherit everything from those games, it does inherit great gunplay, beautiful environments and smooth mobility.

The game is Free2Play. The two MTX is cosmetic based (skins, animations, etc) and hero character buying (unlocking the ability to play Mirage or Caustic, at time of writing) based. They've committed to it remaining cosmetic/character unlock only.

The Cast

Each character has 3 abilities, a Tactical, a Passive and a Ultimate. These are pretty self descriptive. Your Tacticals are frequently off cooldown, your Passives happen automatically, your Ultimate takes a while to charge but has big punch.

• Bloodhound - Big Game Norse (?) Hunter
    A mysterious tracker who keeps going on about Norse gods. They have the Tactical Eyes of the Allfather which alerts them to nearby hostiles, and gives them brief truesight through walls. Their passive, Tracker allows Bloodhound to see clues on the ground as to what happened nearby recently. Stuff like footsteps, rifle casings, mantle scuffs, etc. Their ultimate Beast of the Hunt speeds up Bloodhound and highlights enemies, allowing them to see through smoke/gas/etc. for an extended period.

They're a useful complement to most teams on the basis that you can keep track of where other teams are headed, and wallhacks are always useful.

• Gibraltar - Maori Brick Shithouse
    Can do the haka. His Tactical ability, Dome of Protection deploys a indestructible conical shield for 15 seconds. This shield blocks both incoming and outgoing fire, so if you want to threaten him you're gonna have to step into the shield, or he'll have to walk out. His Passive is the aptly named Gun Shield. While aiming down the sights, Gibraltar deploys a destructible shield that recharges after a while. His ultimate is Defensive Bombardment, Gibraltar throws out a marker and a mortar strike bombards the area for some time. You can hurt yourself (thought not team mates) with this, so the Dome of Protection can be useful here.

The closest thing the game has to a true tank. Gibraltar can walk face first into danger with more aplomb then most characters, and the dome makes him great at setting up a retreat point or escaping from a dangerous ultimate.

• Lifeline - The Medic
    Pretty self explanatory. Her Tactical ability is D.O.C. Heal Drone, a deployable drone that slowly heals nearby team mates. Her passive Combat Medic causes her to deploy a forward facing shield when she revives a team mate, as well as allowing her to revive and use medical items faster. Her ultimate is Care Package, which calls down a drop pod with 3 pieces of loot in it. There can be good, rare items in this, but everyone can see the pod coming down, so don't give away your location.

She's overall pretty drat useful. People who are getting healed by the Heal Drone have to worry about usage times on meds, and the revive shield is immensely helpful to get people back up even while under fire.

• Pathfinder - Game Over. Thanks for playing!
    A former MRVN turned scout. His Tactical ability, Grappling Hook, shoots out a grappling hook that then drags Pathfinder to it. You have some aerial control over this, and get a lot of velocity. His passive is Insider Knowledge, allowing him to interact with antennas located around the map (marked on it with white) to find out the location and size of the next ring. His ultimate is Zip Line Gun, allowing Pathfinder to set up a Zipline between two points for friends and foes to use. This zipline sticks around forever, and you can set it up in places you wouldn't expect, so experiment!

The mobility king. You are going to get grapple kicked by him atleast once. Accept it now and move on.

• Wraith - That's So Raven
    A somewhat crazy dimension hopper. Her tactical, Into The Void allows her to temporarily become ethereal, moving about without taking damage, at the cost of not being able to see enemies. Her passive Voices from the Void warns Wraith when she's in danger, for example telling you when someone is aiming at you or you're about to walk into a trap. Her ultimate is Dimensional Rift, allowing Wraith to map out a path which then creates a portal between two points for fast travel. This can be used by friends and foes, and last 60 seconds.

It's hard to argue with a kit that features mobility and damage immunity, and her warnings genuinely save lives sometimes, no one wants to get headshotted by a sniper.

• Bangalore - Soldier of Fortune
  • Caustic - Fire burn and caldron bubble
  • Mirage - Aizawa-san Multiplies
Media

Cinematic Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQtHENM_GZU

The Map

Pathfinder's True Origin Story - The Little MRVN That Could

Interactive Map with Loot Crates, Weapon Spawns, etc.
http://apexlegendsmap.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The muscle memory from Titanfall 2 is really messing me up in this tutorial shooting range. The Flatline not having a horizontal spread is weird and offputting.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Played a bunch of rounds this evening. Apart from some server hiccups at one point, it was immensely enjoyable, from the perspective of someone whose dipped their toe in pretty much every BR.

Gunplay is what you'd expect from Respawn, and the dynamic of the team, TTK and the ability to respawn makes it more palatable to me then PUBG or Fortnite were in a lot of ways.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I'm digging what little I've played so far. I bounced off all the other BR games, but this one might stick for me. Probably helps that I loved Titanfall 2, but didn't get super serious about being a parkour master.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Conot posted:

Played a bunch of rounds this evening. Apart from some server hiccups at one point, it was immensely enjoyable, from the perspective of someone whose dipped their toe in pretty much every BR.

Gunplay is what you'd expect from Respawn, and the dynamic of the team, TTK and the ability to respawn makes it more palatable to me then PUBG or Fortnite were in a lot of ways.

Agreedo. Really wishing there was a solo queue, as every team I've been with have been useless meat sacks so far.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
strangely enough this game owns

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

There are so many smart decisions with this game from the UI to how you drop to showing you attachments you have are better to being able to call stuff out that IMO it's already far and away the best BR game. Bookmarking this thread.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

Agreedo. Really wishing there was a solo queue, as every team I've been with have been useless meat sacks so far.

I have a feeling that teaming up with goons will make this a lot more bearable.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Maaaaybe I would try this, but putting character unlocks behind grind and/or money is a no go for me, especially when EA is involved. As time goes on characters are going to be incrementally harder to unlock without ponying up cash, mark my words.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bummed about TF3 but I dig BR so I'm looking forward to giving this a chance tonight. As someone who learned bumper jumper just so I could aim while wallrunning, I'm gonna miss TF2's acrobatics :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The R99 felt just like the R97!

I really wish I could customize the buttons myself tho

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

FYI by default EA is scraping data off your computer and connection, you have to manually opt-out in the options menu.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

is there a discord or a steam group or something to match make with other goons on pc?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

is there a discord or a steam group or something to match make with other goons on pc?

https://discord.gg/XdEbbq

updated with permanent link: https://discord.gg/364rsdd

plester1 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 5, 2019

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Liking the game but the map is big as gently caress for 60 people. I know it was already addressed that they did this so we could have it on consoles but there's a lot of dead time even if you're actively trying to find people to kill.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
this game is very good, the ping system is insanely good, playing with pubs is not actually a nightmare???

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheeee posted:

FYI by default EA is scraping data off your computer and connection, you have to manually opt-out in the options menu.

Yeah and their description puts it in a really bizarre way. "DISABLING SHARING MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY." the gently caress you talking about?

e: so when do y'all think they'll add a Pilot hero who can wallrun

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 5, 2019

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

TwoDice posted:

this game is very good, the ping system is insanely good, playing with pubs is not actually a nightmare???

My first four games pubs quit after landing. Might want to either play with goons or let the game breath a little hah

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Shampy posted:

Liking the game but the map is big as gently caress for 60 people. I know it was already addressed that they did this so we could have it on consoles but there's a lot of dead time even if you're actively trying to find people to kill.

They did mention that the current player cap is work in progress, and that they plan to increase it eventually.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Citrus posted:

My first four games pubs quit after landing. Might want to either play with goons or let the game breath a little hah

rip
i've played 2 non-friend games so far, and both times they talked + pinged + didn't quit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve really struggled to get into BR for various reasons but I’m enjoying this. As a solo queue/no mic player the ping stuff is incredibly useful. They really did a good job with the in game communication tools.

Maybe I’ll finally “get” the genre now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Played one match, seems legit actually.

lol at having to pay to unlock characters though, and double lol at having to pay despite having access premium

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Played one match, seems legit actually.

lol at having to pay to unlock characters though, and double lol at having to pay despite having access premium

You can unlock them by playing. It's the league of legends model.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Outside of the disappointments that come from it not having more of Titanfall 2's stuff, the main issues I have is one that is a consistent issue I've had with Battle Royale games, it's too easy to die, and too hard to kill anything, also the weapon selection is really bland, they should have included some of the Grenadier and Anti Titan weapons in here

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Outside of the disappointments that come from it not having more of Titanfall 2's stuff, the main issues I have is one that is a consistent issue I've had with Battle Royale games, it's too easy to die, and too hard to kill anything, also the weapon selection is really bland, they should have included some of the Grenadier and Anti Titan weapons in here

how is it too hard to kill things and also too easy to die

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Those characters don't look that great visually. It looks like a mix of Evolve and Borderlands but worse. Robot guy and center girl look okay, but hopefully it's just a case of "hey we plan on making money via cosmetics so base characters can't be great" instead of indicative of dev team's capabilities.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently per Giant Bomb they used the phrases Season One and battle pass so they're absolutely going that route, which tbh I don't have a problem with.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Made a perma link for this. Just mute channels you don’t care about.

Game is cool.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Definitely gonna miss parkour. Took grapple my first round out and the very first thing I did after spawning in was grapple to a wall and reflexively tried to wallrun.
It was fun enough, though.

TwoDice posted:

I put 5 eva rounds or so into someone from a couple dudelengths away and they were still standing. My aim wasn't that great, but when I ran EVA Stim it killed fairly reliably fairly quickly from that range

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoDice posted:

As in you are made of cardboard, but your guns generally do poo poo for damage, so it falls into the old thing of who sees who first rather than anything resembling actual skill(with some tweaks depending on who has the faster shooting bullet hose)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Your mobility is much more limited than in Titanfall, so you cannot rely on getting in close for meatshots or jumping like a crazed monkey to avoid damage. All about cover and timing your engagements.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I played about 10 matches on PS4 and uninstalled.

It's a carbon copy clone of Blackout, which I'm tired of, so maybe that pushed me to delete it. It just feels like what I'd expect a free to play BR game would feel like.

I had a more lengthy review typed up but basically it's really clunky and awkward. The HUD is far too big, the weapons all feel samey and fire like poo poo. I kept running into issues where when I was shot at I stopped being able to move or I was downed instantly even with purple armor.

I expect this to go the way of Titanfall: Assault within a year.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

This game is ugly but fun as hell

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Matazat posted:

This game is ugly but fun as hell

concur - most fun i've had with any battle royale tbh

panda clue
May 23, 2014

bear is driving! posted:

It just feels like what I'd expect a free to play BR game would feel like.

what does this even mean? Fortnite is free lol

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I feel I'd be a lot more forgiving of it if the movement was just less loving sluggish. It's so frustrating to want to run somewhere but have to wait 3 seconds for your character to get a running start. So many times I've been shot at and tried to get behind cover but wait nope gotta wait for the signals to reach my legs for my character to actually move. The movement inertia and slowing down when getting shot at it just killing the whole thing. Take the wall jumps, take the bunny hopping just give me something that isn't just the lawbreakers equivalent of fortnite.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I feel I'd be a lot more forgiving of it if the movement was just less loving sluggish.

The movement is faster and more responsive than literally any other BR game on the market right now.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

panda clue posted:

The movement is faster and more responsive than literally any other BR game on the market right now.

oh my god that's sad

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

panda clue posted:

Yeah, no. Blackout has smoother movement across the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I like sliding, sliding is cool. This game is aight.