Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
How Diamond (4) Matchmaking Works: A Rant Guide by Yellow Yoshi

it is the same matchup you were in in platinum, except your teammates are worse

Note: I solo-queue on Tokyo cluster and there is no guarantee these points will carry across to elsewhere

- I use a third-party program called Apex Tracker (part of Overwolf) and can see ranks and names of everyone in the lobby, among other things. throughout plat and in diamond 4, the average game is 45~50 plat, 3~8 diamond, 3~8 gold, then a couple at the bottom whose ranks don't show. Very rarely there will be a couple of masters in the game.
- I suspect being in diamond 4 somehow puts me with plat 4 more frequently than when I was plat 1. these players are often "bouncing off the bottom" and haven't yet crested the hump of plat to start their upswing to diamond.
- I've noticed people communicate less. In plat I would greet the team in character select and in approximately 15% of cases someone would reply, most of the time continuing to communicate in-game. Now, out of ~75 games so far in diamond, I've had one single reply. Text chat engagement seems unchanged at a similar low rate.
- People seem to suicide more, but I'm not sure if thats me being cynical. I count attempting to lone-wolf 1v57/mindlessly charging into a fortified enemy position alone/refusing to leave a stricken position despite pings, all as suiciding.
- Teammates in plat 3/2/1 are invariably significantly better than teammates in plat 4.
- Despite the lack of change in matchup, my ability to carry "feels" greatly diminished, paired with a sharp redution in KDR and average damage per game.

Based on the above observations (made over several days) I conclude that the team is being internally balanced somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Waroduce posted:

My buddy just picked up a PS4 fo free and wanted to start gaming. We've been playing some warzone and i mentioned if he likes BRs than apex is alot of fun with the movement and combat. He downloaded it and i took him into the firing range where we were immediately overwhelmend by the amount of poo poo going on wrt shields, ammo, guns much less the combat mechanics. We dicked around a bit and went into a game but idk if its my MMR or what but he got immediately smoked

Are there any good introductory videos? Hes down to watch and learn. I just don't know what to send him.

How do you introduce someone to apex

E: im also a gold/plat(4) player but it was unranked

Folks usually recommend Coach Nihil’s Apex University channel, though I’ve never watched any myself.

Your presence is definitely putting him in higher skill lobbies, even in unranked. I don’t think there’s a solution for that until he gets better. Maybe you could coach him while he solo queues? Or I guess you could use a smurf account even if that’s kinda lovely.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Yellow Yoshi posted:

How Diamond (4) Matchmaking Works: A Rant Guide by Yellow Yoshi

it is the same matchup you were in in platinum, except your teammates are worse

Note: I solo-queue on Tokyo cluster and there is no guarantee these points will carry across to elsewhere

- I use a third-party program called Apex Tracker (part of Overwolf) and can see ranks and names of everyone in the lobby, among other things. throughout plat and in diamond 4, the average game is 45~50 plat, 3~8 diamond, 3~8 gold, then a couple at the bottom whose ranks don't show. Very rarely there will be a couple of masters in the game.
- I suspect being in diamond 4 somehow puts me with plat 4 more frequently than when I was plat 1. these players are often "bouncing off the bottom" and haven't yet crested the hump of plat to start their upswing to diamond.
- I've noticed people communicate less. In plat I would greet the team in character select and in approximately 15% of cases someone would reply, most of the time continuing to communicate in-game. Now, out of ~75 games so far in diamond, I've had one single reply. Text chat engagement seems unchanged at a similar low rate.
- People seem to suicide more, but I'm not sure if thats me being cynical. I count attempting to lone-wolf 1v57/mindlessly charging into a fortified enemy position alone/refusing to leave a stricken position despite pings, all as suiciding.
- Teammates in plat 3/2/1 are invariably significantly better than teammates in plat 4.
- Despite the lack of change in matchup, my ability to carry "feels" greatly diminished, paired with a sharp redution in KDR and average damage per game.

Based on the above observations (made over several days) I conclude that the team is being internally balanced somehow

My understanding is that the matchmaking, when you're diamond IV, will mostly put you with plat players and Diamond IV. Once you get to Diamond III it's totally different and you mostly see Diamond through pred players in those lobbies.

And yes plat IV players are generally awful, I've never even gotten to Plat III because in the past I would solo queue. This split I haven't played nearly as much ranked and have gained more points playing with my buddy who mostly plays CoD and isn't that good (movement is awful, aim is decent) but also isn't a complete idiot and avoids most fights which means far less -36 games. I get wanting to fight and getting better/not avoiding every fight, that's perfectly fine and even I get annoyed with him sometimes for not fighting. If you lose points here and there so be it. But the amount of times we get some idiot third (or two idiots when I solo queue) who wants to fight in the middle of downtown or some other hot zone rather than quickly rotate, drops zero kills, and suddenly 8 teams show up, is so loving annoying. You can see it coming from a mile away every time and somehow these guys can't.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What really gets me is the people who really want to hot drop, see 3 other teams converging on that location, and then split up into two different buildings so we can all die getting 3v1'd. I'm down to hot drop sometimes, but let's at least loving stick together enough that we're not all soloing teams.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If I die I scream and make horrible sounds, rousing my teammates to save me so they don't have to hear my bullshit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

runchild posted:

Your presence is definitely putting him in higher skill lobbies, even in unranked. I don’t think there’s a solution for that until he gets better. Maybe you could coach him while he solo queues? Or I guess you could use a smurf account even if that’s kinda lovely.

This won't actually be a lovely thing for as long as developers maintain that the best thing they can do for their playerbase is split up friend groups due to their stupidly aggressive matchmaking in loving casuals. I can't play any newer pvp games with my friends because of this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'd rather take like no shields and get dropped in a skill equivalent to his tbh. It sucks. What's a smurfs account? You go like...make a new psn account with a burner adress?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah it's just a burner account that you, ideally, don't sweat on so your friends can play games with you without getting put against people wildly out of their skill level.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m a plat 4 player and I haven’t been killed in unranked by someone without a 4K badge, 20 bomb, or 3 apex predator rank badges in months.

If it’s fine for Preds to dunk on me it’s fine to make a smurf to play with newbie friends to teach them how to play.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I did the thing!
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1309304548603752449

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hahaha, nice shot

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Either the lobby is super sweaty or filled with potatoes.

Also, in ranked, I saw a team die to the laser in harvester.

J
Jun 10, 2001

They fixed it real quick but when world's edge first came out sometimes the ship would fly close enough to the laser that it would kill people still in the ship.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It still kills people in the ship dude. That’s what you’re replying to.

We saw a team get harvestered in the ship in gold last week.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just started ripping through this lobby as pathfinder this game. Shattered my damage record while I was at too. 12 kills and 2.8k damage. Got my triple triple badge for pathfinder that game.

https://youtu.be/RUhh9oUFzkY

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I had a 10 kill 1999 damage game two days ago. it was a tad frustrating. we were down to final two after murking the 3rd team, our wraith died to the ring and we ended up dead. it was a shame.

stopgap1 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 26, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe it's because I'm now in gold (because the Australian ranked servers are a ghost town beyond bronze) but playing on Japanese servers is great. Nobody sending a torrent of abuse down the mic, nobody spam pinging the guy who just downed them, everybody is just super helpful and co-operative.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

freebooter posted:

everybody is just super helpful and co-operative.

unless you try to use voice comms
i've only had replies in diamond 3 and above, even when speaking japanese
there is a lot of funny crouch dancing when a purple shield appears and everyone wants someone else to pick it up

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i appreciate the drone emp going off at just the right moment to make it look like octane has super speed

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Crusader posted:

i appreciate the drone emp going off at just the right moment to make it look like octane has super speed

Where were going, we dont need legs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got myself a new PC and sorted out all the issues I was having with the game. It's so much easier to fight without my pc stuttering every time someone fires certain weapons at me.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

dogstile posted:

Got myself a new PC and sorted out all the issues I was having with the game. It's so much easier to fight without my pc stuttering every time someone fires certain weapons at me.

I upgraded recently as well and I agree, for a while any time the R99 was used I would be very unable to respond. I wasn't even sure it was a technical issue.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Waroduce posted:

How do you introduce someone to apex

You let them play solo for their first 30 games so that they are in the new player lobbies where everyone is equally confused and bad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still remember one of my first games, well I was not used to the fact that only your teammates have their names above their head, so everyone without a name over their head is an enemy. So I was crouched down behind the building with another guy, he was a bloodhounds, I had a bloodhound on my team, clearly he had a Pathfinder on his team, because we sat there for good 10 seconds surveying the area until I realized, oh crap he doesn't have a name I can see over his head!

I opened fire on him, and ended up calling both of our squads over, but I like to imagine that he was not away from the keyboard, he was just as lost as I was.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It's weird to not want to play Apex on Mondays before 7pm PST because I want to save my dailies for the weeklies reset

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Literally one of my first games (pretty sure it was the first in World's Edge anyway) the jump master flew us into the harvester beam. :thumbsup:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are randos just becoming a lot more trash at the game or am I just getting unlucky? The last week or so 90% of my squads are just dogshit at the game. Incapable of even staying together or aiming a shotgun. I'm not the best aim but I can at least hit a target with the Mastiff while I'm 2 feet away. While they're doing their execution on a teammate.

Edit: Didn't have such a streak in season 5 where it was the opposite.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 29, 2020

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

Maybe it's because I'm now in gold (because the Australian ranked servers are a ghost town beyond bronze) but playing on Japanese servers is great. Nobody sending a torrent of abuse down the mic, nobody spam pinging the guy who just downed them, everybody is just super helpful and co-operative.

Yeah, how do those datacentres work? Are each of the five Sydney options completely separate or do they all pool players to create games? It would be crazy if they were all separate but it might explain why it takes a long time for games to form, even sometimes for casual. I usually play on the Singapore servers (with a 120 ping) because they have instant queues for all game modes.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I live in Dallas and there's a data center in Dallas so my ping shows like 11ms but that doesn't stop lag spikes and stuttering. God forbid I play with my roommate where we have a 20% chance at hardlocking at the exact same time.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kalko posted:

Yeah, how do those datacentres work? Are each of the five Sydney options completely separate or do they all pool players to create games? It would be crazy if they were all separate but it might explain why it takes a long time for games to form, even sometimes for casual. I usually play on the Singapore servers (with a 120 ping) because they have instant queues for all game modes.

No clue, but I hardly ever have lag and it crops up just as often on Aussie servers as on the Japanese ones.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I think they must pool together depending on player count because if I try to play 12am onwards I start copping heaps of players that don't speak English even though I'm still selecting Sydney.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I started playing last night, game's fun! Yes I realize I'm quite a bit late to the party. I made sure to research characters and weapons and stuff so I'd have a basic idea how the game plays before dropping in, and I heard recommendations to split off before landing so that it's not everyone in the team fighting over the same gear. I proceeded to split off in my first game and landed on the wrong side of a wall, where apparently there was no equipment or anything. My teammates tried to save my gun-less rear end when another team found me, and they both died too. Sorry!!

I've noticed myself improving though, I managed to be on a team that made it to second place one game! I even feel like I contributed in a meaningful way, too. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get at least one knock down per game reliably! All the characters look super fun, but I'm bummed how many I gotta unlock. EA gotta make their money I guess, but I wanna try everybody out!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You'll get the red tokens for character unlocks without even thinking about it. I personally have enough red cash to unlock the next 50 or so characters, it's really a non issue.

Don't worry about not knowing spawns and poo poo for your first couple weeks. It takes people a lot of time to catch up.

In other news here's what I came to the thread for, which is to post this 15 minute video of me dunking on some people (and getting too cocky + shotgunned for it).

https://youtu.be/LhSGEBW_lTM

Highlights: octane at 2:10 and the cheeky window kill near the end.

This is the second night after getting a pc that doesn't lag like a motherfucker in fights, it helps :v:

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

CodfishCartographer posted:

I started playing last night, game's fun! Yes I realize I'm quite a bit late to the party.

welcome to !fun!
in case you haven't discovered it yet, the firing range is a godsend and i'd recommend playing around with every gun there for a while until you find some you like
enjoy this early learning phase, theres a lot to cover (as you know) but you'll notice tons of improvement with some diligence
looking forward to hearing about your first win, it'll be tense but you're already almost there it seems

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yellow Yoshi posted:

welcome to !fun!
in case you haven't discovered it yet, the firing range is a godsend and i'd recommend playing around with every gun there for a while until you find some you like
enjoy this early learning phase, theres a lot to cover (as you know) but you'll notice tons of improvement with some diligence
looking forward to hearing about your first win, it'll be tense but you're already almost there it seems

Yeah I definitely need to do this, I've mostly just been grabbing whatever I find that I have decent ammo/upgrades for, and try to make sure I'm not totally stepping on the toes of my teammates. I also kind of try for a long and short range option, though not knowing weapons has sort of bit me in the rear end. I had some laser thing that required a charge-up time, and so I ran at a dude wondering why my gun wasn't firing and then I was dead lmao. So far I can really only reliably survive if I'm at long range, as soon as someone's in my face I just melt, I need to get a better feel for what's solid at close-range.

Legends-wise I've mostly been playing Bloodhound cus I like wallhax and the tracking mechanic is cool, and Wraith cus my daily quest was for her (the Q as a sort-of get out of jail free card helped too), but I feel like I never really know when to hit his ult. Probably because I've taken to mostly firing long-range, where the enemy highlighting and increased movespeed isn't super impactful.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

The one thing that made me win more close combat fights is learning myself to hipfire and move smarter while doing so instead of slowly asd'ing like a jackass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh, speaking of gitting gud, are there any recommended chill twitch streamers / youtubers to watch that aren't total douchebags? I enjoy watching gameplay to learn, but boy oh boy do I hate the typical streamer/youtuber personality.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh, speaking of gitting gud, are there any recommended chill twitch streamers / youtubers to watch that aren't total douchebags? I enjoy watching gameplay to learn, but boy oh boy do I hate the typical streamer/youtuber personality.

iTemp is my favorite because he's basically British Pathfinder As An Apex Player. He's on Youtube.

Gaming Merchant is ok, he's also British and a very solid Diamond player but he streams every day for a couple of hours and is very very relaxed.

Coach Nihil is a good coach, and he streams, and is also a mellow dude.

I wouldn't watch streamers right now to "git gud" as you're so new that you won't understand the reasons that they are making the decisions they are making. But you can watch them to get a general idea of looting, positioning, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

iTemp is my favorite because he's basically British Pathfinder As An Apex Player. He's on Youtube.

You can also watch actual Pathfinder play Apex at TheEdgevoice. He’s not exactly a pro tier player but it’s still neat. Crypto’s voice actor also streams at johnnyyoung115.