Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

If you were all like, "Wow battle royale is a really neat game mode idea, too bad PUBG is a janky shitshow made by a joke developer, Fortnite is a piece of poo poo made for idiot children, and COD can eat a bag of gently caress" then oh boy is this the game for you!

this is literally me so I guess I better download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tei posted:

This is one of these games that destroy time and space. You start playing at 6:00 pm, and at 11:00 pm you say "what, what happened? where is my time!!". It suffers from the "One More Turn" syndrome :-/ .

Very much so. Really surprising since I don't like PubG or Fortnite much.

Gonna hop back on since it's my day off and show off my Bloodhound skins. PS4, name is zerodrone

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I thought PUBG was too janky, I thought the building in Fortnite was BS, Blackout was close but it just didn't feel right for some reason... AL is the game I have been waiting for

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
they had a million unique players within 8 hours of launch, which is insane seeing as they just dropped it completely out of nowhere.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

One of the things Respawn has nailed with Apex is how quickly you can load the game, find a match, play it, end it, and get into another.

There's almost no waiting time aside from the short matchmaking, no bullshit spawn island to run around on waiting, no long post-match wind downs, no friction in general.

Just play.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

I have to wonder if this game may do something like what Bloodborne did for Souls games in that it showed people the 'right and fun' way to play those was to use your dodges & play aggressively rather than turtle up behind a shield. Except this might translate to more people being interested in Titanfall 2's (or 3's) more advanced movement mechanics after having gotten used to how the gunplay & movement flows in Apex.

I'm really curious what they have planned for Titanfall - maybe Titan Royale content in apex? TF3? I'm interested to see. But if Apex essentially winds up 'saving' Titanfall by being a breakout success that ensures the survival of the franchise, great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bardeh posted:

they had a million unique players within 8 hours of launch, which is insane seeing as they just dropped it completely out of nowhere.

I'm vaguely amazed the servers aren't completely making GBS threads the bed.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

panda clue posted:

Well, yea, because Activision refuses to move towards a games as a service model and keep relying on box sales to drive their profits. Blackout was more or less designed to die with their update pipeline (or lack thereof).

I am hoping Apex and Fortnite continue to do exceptionally well because of the free model. The season pass content stuff really blows rear end. I can live with skins and hats behind a pay model, but not much else.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is there any penalty to dropping out if your squad is still playing but you got killed and your respawn beacon wasn't recovered in time?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Just a random thought, has there been any other Source engine game that has had a player match count of this size? CS:GO's BR is like what, 16 players?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bardeh posted:

I think one thing it exposes is that the traditional gaming marketing budget of tens of millions on tv ads and billboards and such is just pure waste.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
This game is fun.

Runs well but looks bad. It’s loving hard to pick people out from the environment.

The rolling air strike is kinda OP in the final circle.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Despoiler posted:

I thought PUBG was too janky, I thought the building in Fortnite was BS, Blackout was close but it just didn't feel right for some reason... AL is the game I have been waiting for

Add to that for me; Overwatch had the unique hero/class/ult abilities but was too focused on boring routine rock-paper-scissors teamcomp meta for teams of 6 where no one can really 'solo carry', while Apex is more flexible & allows any character/player to potentially become a clutch solo carry against a full 3-man squad.

Oh and let's not forget - even if you get thirsted by the enemy there's a 90 second window where your teammates can potentially still have a chance to save you and bring you back into the game. That's something that this game improves on over every other BR squad game out there right now.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 6, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wazzit posted:

Just a random thought, has there been any other Source engine game that has had a player match count of this size? CS:GO's BR is like what, 16 players?

No, it was never originally designed to handle maps of this size. Respawn must have done a ton of work on the engine to get it to work. Danger Zone is 18 players I think, and plays like janky rear end because Valve obviously just shat it out quickly as a cash grab.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So while I'm getting the game installed off PSN is there a 'so you've played like three games of Fortnite and nothing else' primer for this?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think one thing it exposes is that the traditional gaming marketing budget of tens of millions on tv ads and billboards and such is just pure waste.

You spend a tenth of that on "influencers" and get way more reach yeah. There's a reason they had 1 million unique logins and that reason is called hiring a poo poo-ton of streamers.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

sexpig by night posted:

So while I'm getting the game installed off PSN is there a 'so you've played like three games of Fortnite and nothing else' primer for this?

if you're playing with randos, ping poo poo. if you're playing with friends, still ping poo poo so it's easier to find

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

The most important thing is to double tap the ping button in order to spot enemies. You'll figure everything else out just fine, but god, that ping button is amazing.

Oh also, you can climb up surprisingly tall walls to roofs. It's great for flanking/evading enemies in or around buildings.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How does Bloodhounds scan work?

It sounds like it should be an aoe wallhack ping around you but I popped it, scan said NO HOSTILES, then I turn a corner in someone’s face and die :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wonder how long it sticks around at the top there. Presumably some of the top guys are still in their paid promo time, but I think guys like Summit and Shroud would probably be playing this anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Beans posted:

How does Bloodhounds scan work?

It sounds like it should be an aoe wallhack ping around you but I popped it, scan said NO HOSTILES, then I turn a corner in someone’s face and die :(

It only scans in front of you.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Bardeh posted:

I wonder how long it sticks around at the top there. Presumably some of the top guys are still in their paid promo time, but I think guys like Summit and Shroud would probably be playing this anyway.

Shroud has been saying he's been dying to play this game for months and that he is going to be playing it for 'a long, long time'.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Morphix posted:

Is your squad flying off to the edge of the map? Because if so, that might be why. The loot gathering feels a little bit overhwleming and like it's a must, but I've died just as many times when I had a tricked out yellow gun as I did with a standard.

The only thing that's loving with me is the server tic rate, I'm so used to Counter Strike or at least Overwatch where it's so much responsive. I keep missing like half my shots.

What is the tick rate of this game?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

lonter posted:

What is the tick rate of this game?

no dont

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

One of the things Respawn has nailed with Apex is how quickly you can load the game, find a match, play it, end it, and get into another.

There's almost no waiting time aside from the short matchmaking, no bullshit spawn island to run around on waiting, no long post-match wind downs, no friction in general.

Just play.

Yea, the "wait 60 seconds and dick around" is the one thing I really don't like about BR games and I'm glad they got rid of it.

Also just got my second win.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, does this run for anyone on Win7?

It "works" for me but a few times already the game has crashed/frozen in the middle of gameplay.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Tei posted:

I feel bad for Fortnite, this is the worst scenario for Epic. A good free game that improve on 2 or 3 things and also run well on everything from a toaster up.

I wouldn’t feel too bad for them. They’ve made an obscene amount of money.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The MVP squad should get to drop in a Titan at the beginning of the match. Balance be damned!

And they should bring back the little tick robit grenades.

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 6, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pops Mgee posted:

And they should bring back the little tick robit grenades.

Probably gonna be a power of a 'tracker' type character (the type that currently Bloodhound is the only one of).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Bardeh posted:

Ninja says he wants to play more of this game and likes it. He says he plans on playing a mix of both it and fortnite.

panda clue posted:

Shroud has been saying he's been dying to play this game for months and that he is going to be playing it for 'a long, long time'.

Yeah, can confirm that shroud wants to make this game his main.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 6, 2019

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Game ran fine earlier but now the hardware cursor is invisible. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: forgot that borderless window is the only acceptable display mode. Changing from full screen to borderless window fixed it.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 6, 2019

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!
Is there a group on Xbox that I can join so I don’t have to play with random people each time?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This is one of those "Only play with friends games" to be sure.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is one of those "Only play with friends games" to be sure.

Ehhh, I've actually found that the team drop system and the insanely good pinging system means that playing with pubbies is at least less terrible than in other BR games.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

The gunplay sucks rear end compared to destiny, but it’s fun even though I just empty my mag into the air then die

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is there any penalty to dropping out if your squad is still playing but you got killed and your respawn beacon wasn't recovered in time?

There's no penalty.

If you stick around and watch your team you'll get the time played Xp from whoever survives longest.

Like I died 2 minutes in, watched my team survive to 12 minutes, got the 12min Xp bonus.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

There's no penalty.

If you stick around and watch your team you'll get the time played Xp from whoever survives longest.

Like I died 2 minutes in, watched my team survive to 12 minutes, got the 12min Xp bonus.

Ok, so definitely not worth hanging around unless I guess you think your squad will go all the way

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Had zero idea you can melee doors and eventually destroy them

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

^^^^

It looks like this is going to be the main discord goon Apex players are using for the time being (unless this game gets so big with goons we need a whole discord dedicated just to it) so this link should probably be added to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Had zero idea you can melee doors and eventually destroy them

I was trying to execute someone as the robot and instead he did an awesome roundhouse kick animation to close a door.

If you can kill someone with that... :discourse: