Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Anyone else experiencing unplayable lag/frame rate issues on ps4? The game is unplayable when it’s at its worst and my connection is fine, no issues in battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Drain 001 posted:

Good, though I always used Path to scan beacons as his primary mission and never used his grapple to move around like a loving banshee. So I image my Path experience will be un-effected :smug:
I can't say it was all that often that I grappled every 15 seconds and he still has the zip line which gives you high ground whenever you want it pretty much. It'd be nice if there was some in between from what the grapple is now and what it was but I don't think it's thaaat bad.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

What are some good ways of using Gibby bubble and ult?
The bubble is good for avoiding other teams sniping at you from a distance while you attack another squad. Also good for finishing someone more easily or reviving a squad mate. I probably should learn to use Gibby better but that’s how I’ve seen him used effectively by others.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

Good time to drop it is post squad kill as you're about to loot. Loot safely and heal up quicker before you get third partied.
I play with some buddies who are extremely dumb loot whores sometimes so perhaps I should start playing gibby for this reason alone.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Legit have no idea how some of these people even make it past gold. Just had two teammates in platinum ranked, one used his Gibraltar ult on a group of guys right next to the bunker door of labs and the other was a Watson who saw this and put down his ult to block his own teammates ult. Then the Gibraltar dude just quit after getting down but not like actually quit for the loss forgiveness, just disconnected/afk or something so I still got some negative points.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 19, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Good wraith players who use their brain to get their team out of third parties or portal downed players to safety (or grab banners with it) are super useful, pretty much every competitive team has one. Bad wraith players are just tying up a character that could be used by someone who actually knows how to use the character, especially at the higher levels where you legit need a wraith. Like me and my buddy played with someone who used wraith and all he did was snipe at ppl from super far away doing like 1400 damage with one kill :facepalm:. He also missed our banners twice (once due to looting lmfao) and I can't recall him ever using a portal.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

So with lifeline I assume you can still drop the DOC as normal for heals, but if someone is downed it can also revive them?

Also kinda hilarious seeing comp teams all using Revenant in a tournament now lol.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What is it with randoms and their obsession with dropping bunker by the way?

Without fail some random will ping and drop there more then any other location on the map, do they like it because it's the only place in the game where they have the situational awareness not to get flanked because it's just a narrow corridor?

Some idiot pinged bunker in platinum ranked, got mad at me for taking the one p20 I could find (he said I took “all the guns” lmfao) and then ran away, wouldn’t grab my banner, and got aped by 3 ppl after missing like all but one shot with the Lstar.

At least in pubs you don’t lose points and have the option to rage quit if your team is a bunch of nimrods who have no idea what they’re doing.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah idk, for me moving through gold is generally pretty easy even with randoms, and I first started playing apex at the start of season 4. I just can’t carry a squad in platinum like I can in gold and so having big games is harder to do. Like some of the best teammates I had today were a couple of 9 year olds 😂

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else feel that 'man I suck' when your squad dies/wins and you have maybe 100 damage and no kills and the other two people got 7 kills each and over 1000 damage? Like, drat, I was a shield at best.
I had a game like this in ranked, I think the other two had like 2300 and 1800 damage or whatever and like 7 and 6 kills or whatever, I had 1 and 509 damage but did kill the last guy and revive both of them on one of the final fights we had ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. They carried a lot more weight than me but there’s a lot of other trash players who wouldn’t have pulled that off.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

dogstile posted:

If you get a 2-4x on the scout its a murder machine for catching people rotating or trying to peek on you with automatic weapons. I really like it and its still good enough that pred squads will have all 3 people with it just catching people rotating.

Carry an R99 or something for backup when someone tries to rush you down, its too slow to do that bullshit.
Also good for turning evo shields purple.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

precision posted:

I play Wraith a fair bit and when I do, I make sure to be extra polite.

Need an extended light mag? Sure, I've got a Flatline and a Scout, don't need it. Here you go champ. I'm gonna stand here and watch you pick it up, then do a happy dance around you.

I'm one of the good ones, I swear

Also I never use Apex Baldskin, I use Airship Assassin and Marble Wraith

Yeah I try and at least portal my teammates to safety for the revive and just generally be a good teammate.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

precision posted:

Oh man I just won a match with an arc star

I'm telling you guys I'm a freaking ninja

Actually did that once too lol, some guy tried to rush my building and I threw one at the door while healing. Dude ran into it and died instantly lol.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Hobo posted:

Speaking of venting, the one thing that really gets me tilted is some teammate giving me poo poo for not reading their mind about engaging and then when I die to two squads behind me that squeeze us then I "hosed it up".

Yes buddy, use your microphone for berating me instead of saying something about what you want to do before you do it.

We even won that match, and I took zero enjoyment from it.

Yes, this. And I remember it being done by some trashcan who probably was never going to get out of Silver III.

Raging Mule posted:

This might have already been discussed....

After watching ALGS/GLL/EsportsArena tournaments, it seems EA/Respawn don't really care about the competitive scene and pushing their audience. BRs are already hard to spectate and the tournament interface seems pretty bad.

Why does it take so long to get stats after a match? How hard is it to have a feed, even top 5/10, with overall finish and kills, at the end? There are only 2 stats to track for tournaments.

It seems they started allowing teams to name their team finally. It's embarrassing when sometimes the commentators aren't sure who won... But you still get the "Team 10 is the Champion" finishes (just happened in EsportsArena NA tourney)

I watched the ALGS summer tournament regional that happened Sunday (on twitch, Play Apex) and they seemed to be knowledgeable and knew all the teams etc. You might be right about the tournament you're referring to though.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 14, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Dragongem posted:

The ALGS is okay, but I'm not surprised there's a bit of a lacking comp scene. BR's are hard games in general to design a competitive scene for

Also ranked is so tilting sometimes. Love to watch my team run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of working together. Tilting me like crazy that my K/D slipped under 1 again for the ranked season, because it just means that I am just super awful again and somehow lost my touch again.
Part of the problem with K/D is you could knock two guys in a different squad only to get downed by the third, your teammates both manage to die, and your K/D for that sequence is 0. And if you solo queue that might happen a bit. Also it doesn't factor in assists at all. It's a stat that doesn't seem very meaningful without context, especially if you solo queue a lot or have some friends you like to play casually with who are very inconsistent.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I'm kinda ambiguous on whether it's ok to loot a squadmate's box if they launch themselves off a cliff. Like, I wouldn't be a total dick and leave them with literally nothing in terms of shield/ammo/guns but I do think they deserve a slight tax for being stupid :bern101:

I do remember my buddy jumped off salvage one time because he didn't know the map and squadmate just took all of his heavy ammo, which caused my buddy to stop playing and pout lol. Then he started playing after the other dude went off on his own and died, was surrounded, and repeatedly pinged his banner lmao.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 16, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

J posted:

Excuse me they need to carry around 500 bullets to assist in hiding and running away from every fight
Had some teammate in ranked yesterday who literally did nothing to help in a fight that ended up being barely in the fire, I wiped the entire team by myself with a G7 and then died to the ring. I then crawled to the edge of the ring for revival or at least so he could get my banner (there was a respawn beacon and I think I had one too) and of course he offered zero help and went to the next ring. And of course there was gold and purple stuff everywhere to make it worth his while.

Somehow he got second place because of his positioning but he literally blew his wad and used his caustic ult on the ground doing zero damage lmfao. The nice thing about gold is you can 1v3 squads, the annoying thing is that you literally have to sometimes because your teammates are often that loving stupid and useless.

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Do you find apexuniversity useful? There's that coachnihil guy who posts a lot on YouTube but I could never really convince myself that his stuff was more useful than just playing the game and learning from mistakes (like taking a shadowplay of the last minute after dying and reviewing it, for example).
He at least has some good advice on how to use cover, improve your positioning, and how to wisely use your abilities, especially when reviewing what others are doing (though admittedly there's plenty hindsight bias there too). Not a bad idea to watch when you're not playing and wish you were but it's obviously not a substitute for actually playing and learning from your mistakes. Obviously improving your aim like you said is super useful but I tend to agree with all the people who say aim only helps to a certain point and being able to use your brain better than the other squads is vastly more impactful not to mention having superior movement and making people miss a few shots against you.

Also I started playing this game in season 4 and never made it out of plat IV so take everything I say with a grain of salt :D

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 18, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I just love going from having a 5 kill 4 assist game and gaining like 200 points in Plat ranked only to lose all of it solo queuing with complete clowns time and time again. By far the most infuriating was one where I was path, scanned the beacon to the next ring (Tree), one teammate decides to go the opposite way to the vault outside the ring and the other goes to some illegal high spot on the map (near sorting) where it kicks you off. Then of course while waiting for the vault teammate we get spotted and I try to just run us toward the circle but that same team chases, I break some armor actually fighting and they proceed to do maybe 70 damage on a fight that could've just been entirely avoided if we rotated five minutes ago like I had pinged.

Another game we lost attempting a third party because Revenant decided he wasn't going to use his ult. Those guys weren't even that bad and at least were willing to be aggressive but we could've just killed the other team for free and instead it's just another game where I lose a bunch of points.

edit: as for the Prowler, burst is good if you want to use it as a finishing weapon like a shotgun but if you want it to be your main weapon and use it at any type of range you prob need Selectfire. But it's actually a bit more efficient in short range with burst esp if you have controller/aim assist.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 27, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

dogstile posted:

I'm actually really happy about this. Most games it seemed like everyone's go to was third party, then the next squad, then the next squad. Lost count of how many times i've had the entire server converge on some loving fringe fight because third partying is 10x as deadly as it was before.

Longer engagement times typically favours better players (more decisions to make in a fight typically means a better player has more of an opportunity to actually make consistent decisions) so i see this as an absolute win.

Also its worth noting that solo i did much better than other seasons, so my issue isn't that "oh no, change, i can't adapt" but more "man this feels awful".
Agreed, can’t remember how many times I got gate-kept along the circle even in pubs and how awful rotations are. Also I feel like I can play something other than bloodhound again, corner camping was so much worse after the no armor patch.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Newbie help post incoming:

I started playing because a friend of mine likes to play with people he knows and his regular teammates have basically quit. I don't really play FPS games at all, and I'm pretty terrible at this one as a result -- if I get a kill per game and/or deal over 100 damage, it's an achievement.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the weapon types, accessories, etc. I can't keep track of which is which, generally. Is there any certain type of weapon I should be on the lookout for, or avoid? For example, I've found that I did fairly well with the Alternator a few times, so I try to look for that one, but maybe there's better options I should prioritize.

Edit: I should add I generally have been playing as Bangalore, for no real reason. I also played as Lifeline a fair amount just for the sake of being able to help my friend a bit more as support.
Yeah I was gonna echo what the one guy said, if you like alternator you'd probably like the 301, though it's recoil pattern is a little bit goofy. If you use it in the firing range you'll get the hang of it eventually. Getting recoil patterns down for vary weapons is huge though because it's something you need to deal with in this game to succeed. First month or so I missed so many shots by just not controlling recoil enough, especially when the R99 was a normal weapon that you could pick up and use regularly.

For the most part guns are the same in terms of attachments, they need mags (light or heavy) which are of varying size, often have a barrel stabilizer (same color scheme as the mags, gray -> blue -> purple and gold ones are basically just purple with less muzzle flash), a stock, and a sight. Certain guns don't support certain sights like the 3x and above or the digital threat (the gold one that allows you to see through smoke or gas). Which classification of gun you have will determine what kind of ammo you need for it. The care package weapons (peacekeeper, R99, and Kraber) only have a finite amount of ammo in them, they're good but slightly tricky to use if you haven't ever used them before. Some guns do have hop-ups available but I'd say most of them don't really need them to be useful, other than the ones that require hammerpoints (P2020 and Mozambique are pretty useless weapons without the hop-up). I honestly think double-tap makes guns worse when enabled and selectfire for the prowler (and technically havoc though I don't see it used that often) allows it to be fully auto but ups the horizontal recoil a bit I think, so I just never pick it up and leave it for a teammate who likes it. Skullpiercer only really matters when you hit headshots.

Depending on how you want to play you can figure out gun combos that work for you. My favorite is probably the G7/Hemlock and prowler because you have guns that can cover fights at most ranges, and given that apex has a longer TTK, you often need to get in close to finish fights efficiently and not get third partied.

edit: Almost forgot about the turbocharger hop-up, that one is super nice to have on a Devotion (or havoc though IDK why anyone would use it over Devo) because it just spits the rounds out a lot sooner and is critical in short range fights. If you ever see a gold devotion pick it up because it used to be a care package weapon and just absolutely wrecks ppl (or at least call it out for your teammates if you don't want it).

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 9, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

man in the eyeball hat posted:

or post about how reverting the TTK updates was a bad idea
lol

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Is it just me or are most people in plat just bouncing off the bottom and have given up and just play it like unranked? My teammates have been Plat 4 easily 80%+ of the time
There’s just a lot of meat heads in plat that think they’re good and have no idea what they’re doing. It’s either that or the people who literally just find the final ring and get second place because they have white shields and avoided everything the entire game. This actually happened to me once, we literally could’ve just gatekept the team that eventually won or just thirded them but the Watson we were playing with was that much of a wuss who was hell bent on getting second place an +6 points or whatever it is when you get zero kills and second place in plat.

Occasionally you get some good player who pushes fights and uses his mic etc. but it’s rare and even when you capitalize on those games you get a bunch of -36 games with the former players.

Don’t solo queue.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I mean kinda, the problem there is when you have white shields you better third party the last fight quickly because you have no chance in a straight up battle vs a team that’s been fighting all game and has all the best weapons, sights, and probably even red and gold shields.

You’re also right about the call outs and communication though there’s so many times where these guys will just go in 1v3 with zero communication and go down instantly. On some level I don’t mind taking risks and potentially losing 36 points because I don’t want to play super conservatively and want to actually get better at the game/fighting but there’s a smart way to pick and execute those fights that a lot of players don’t grasp.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 14, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Songbearer posted:

You've been shadowbanned for not rezzing your teammate that one match. You know the one :colbert:

LIFELIIIIIIIIINE!!!!1111

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

How Diamond (4) Matchmaking Works: A Rant Guide by Yellow Yoshi

it is the same matchup you were in in platinum, except your teammates are worse

Note: I solo-queue on Tokyo cluster and there is no guarantee these points will carry across to elsewhere

- I use a third-party program called Apex Tracker (part of Overwolf) and can see ranks and names of everyone in the lobby, among other things. throughout plat and in diamond 4, the average game is 45~50 plat, 3~8 diamond, 3~8 gold, then a couple at the bottom whose ranks don't show. Very rarely there will be a couple of masters in the game.
- I suspect being in diamond 4 somehow puts me with plat 4 more frequently than when I was plat 1. these players are often "bouncing off the bottom" and haven't yet crested the hump of plat to start their upswing to diamond.
- I've noticed people communicate less. In plat I would greet the team in character select and in approximately 15% of cases someone would reply, most of the time continuing to communicate in-game. Now, out of ~75 games so far in diamond, I've had one single reply. Text chat engagement seems unchanged at a similar low rate.
- People seem to suicide more, but I'm not sure if thats me being cynical. I count attempting to lone-wolf 1v57/mindlessly charging into a fortified enemy position alone/refusing to leave a stricken position despite pings, all as suiciding.
- Teammates in plat 3/2/1 are invariably significantly better than teammates in plat 4.
- Despite the lack of change in matchup, my ability to carry "feels" greatly diminished, paired with a sharp redution in KDR and average damage per game.

Based on the above observations (made over several days) I conclude that the team is being internally balanced somehow

My understanding is that the matchmaking, when you're diamond IV, will mostly put you with plat players and Diamond IV. Once you get to Diamond III it's totally different and you mostly see Diamond through pred players in those lobbies.

And yes plat IV players are generally awful, I've never even gotten to Plat III because in the past I would solo queue. This split I haven't played nearly as much ranked and have gained more points playing with my buddy who mostly plays CoD and isn't that good (movement is awful, aim is decent) but also isn't a complete idiot and avoids most fights which means far less -36 games. I get wanting to fight and getting better/not avoiding every fight, that's perfectly fine and even I get annoyed with him sometimes for not fighting. If you lose points here and there so be it. But the amount of times we get some idiot third (or two idiots when I solo queue) who wants to fight in the middle of downtown or some other hot zone rather than quickly rotate, drops zero kills, and suddenly 8 teams show up, is so loving annoying. You can see it coming from a mile away every time and somehow these guys can't.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

what is this "QA" you speak of
what gets into the release code is at the sole discretion of the grand warlock

also is it just me or is plat 4 filled with trash? genuinely had better games in gold, i wanna hurry up and get back to diamond 4 and suffer the exact same matchmaking until getting lucky and hitting diamond 3 so i can get upset at people there too

Correct, I don’t think I can solo queue plat IV ever again without losing my loving mind.

Also figured the thread would like this

https://twitter.com/zeusofaimassist/status/1313231968566349824?s=21

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Officially over King's Canyon. Never-ending third parties are fun occasionally, not when it's ranked and it happens every single match and never stops. We literally got SEVENTH PARTIED last night!!!!

Yeah I remember running through half the squads in the server only for the same thing to happen. Then I just went back to pubs.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

its funny you say this, i had it happen today on worlds edge.
it was just short of 10 minutes of constant combat, riveting as hell, but we were eventually beaten. i like to think it carried on after we were outed.
ended the game with around 3k damage and 15 ish squad kills.
you have one guess as to where this took place
The same place where every bad Plat IV player goes and loses 36 points.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Obviously I get that there are a ton of factors/variables that go into SBMM so I don't complain too hard about it like a lot of ppl. But it is sometimes mind-boggling when you get put in a reasonably skilled lobby and you and your level 500 buddy (lifetime 1.5 k/d, 5000 kills with Loba, no idea how sometimes lol) get a third who's a level 40 with like 5 kills.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

First game of the day the champion has 10k season 6 kills, I get paired with a level 43 who does zero damage and a little kid. Another SBMM blunder.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Cretin90 posted:

Oh, another question for you sweet goons.

Can anyone recommend a gaming headset specifically for apex? I’ve found the audio in the game is subpar at best directionally, and this is probably a game problem rather than a headset problem, but maybe some of you have had good luck with a specific headset.

This is definitely a game problem and it won't matter what headphones you have, one pro on twitch actually uses standard apple earbuds. That said I have the Arctis Pro headset and I love it, though it is expensive.

Gunder posted:

Still hate Olympus. It’s rubbish. Dreadful loot, dreadful sniper friendly design. The current version of WE is the best thing they’ve ever done.
Bring back the Mirage Voyage and I agree, though I do think it's still the better map currently. Also part of the issue with WE is that you can only play it in pubs right now and once you get beyond a certain level, people only drop at like 3 hot drop locations. And if you're jumpmaster and don't hot drop, one of your dumb teammates probably quits out right off the bat.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 8, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Chemmy posted:

I don’t mind hot dropping but I hate pubbies.
One of my semi-recent fav pubbie moments was when we got to the final three, I kept pinging the armor off the only other squad besides the one solo that remained on the other team, ensuring that they didn't push. The solo then rushed pubbie teammates and they both just freaked out, "WOAHHHH guys guys guys!!!!", and then the other team starts coming in, which I continue to ping away their armor trying to keep them at bay only to get rushed by the one who manages to get close while I'm attempting to pop a batt, because I obviously took some damage trying to 1 v 3. They then proceed to do nothing and we presumably lost, I just loving quit after the second guy went down.

Other favorite, I managed to do 750+ damage vs a squad knocking three guys during the fight, only to lose because the caustic on our team was too afraid to come out of Hammond labs (and our mirage or octane or whatever he was got insta knocked). Teammates did 60 and 19 damage a piece.

Up Circle posted:

the only lore i care about is forbidden lore of loustreams clips

https://clips.twitch.tv/DifferentBraveKangarooMcaT
Lou is insanely good. Was lol'ing last night watching his stream, Dropped had the gold backpack and must've rezzed Lou and Rogue 7 times in the final 3 of one game as Lou did his best to throw.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 8, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Its crazy how streamers can just hack and folks fall over themselves to defend them.
Pretty sure if a guy who plays competitive tourneys was cheating, he would've been caught by now.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I prefer hot dropping, especially if I'm with some pubbies cause if we can make it out alive then I know we're probably gonna be good in the next fight. I hate games where we end up dropping as far as possible from everyone else. Loot for 15 minutes and instantly lose the first fight cause whatever random team I ended up with wasn't up for it
Agreed, I really don't want to waste 15 minutes of my life doing nothing and watching my team do 79 damage combined when we finally do fight, like I described a few posts up. At least a hot drop just puts me out of my misery right away when I get those two trashcans.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, those actually look like natural flicks. The ones in the other video were instant snaps with flawless recoil control. Also, cheats can be activated and deactivated whenever the cheater wishes so it's entirely possible he wasn't using cheats in tournaments but was willing to use them for pub streams. Doesn't really change the fact that he uses cheats to make money.
The devs can check and detect cheating hardware and they've caught a ton of cheaters already who do exactly what you're describing. That's not to say it's impossible that he's cheating and the devs just haven't caught him yet or bothered to look, though I imagine he gets a ton of accusations and I would think they've probably looked into him at some point. If he gets caught I'll believe it then but the guy is ridic good even in competitive tourneys among the best players so I tend to err on the side of he's probably not cheating.

If he is cheating then that'd be a pretty damning indictment of Apex.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 8, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I mean fair enough, I know apex doesn’t take anti-cheating as seriously as they should and there’s probably plenty of guys who still haven’t gotten caught. You watch streamers on twitch and they constantly run into them during ranked, often they get banned. I wanna say one of the top preds on PC (yohqi?) did eventually get caught and banned and it took a while for it to finally happen, I think some guys who played with him might’ve gotten banned too.

But the guy you’re describing also isn’t the number one pred on PC and if they haven’t actually bothered to look into a guy who’s on pace for 100k RP then holy poo poo that’s a whole new level of incompetence and probably more like conspiracy at that point. And while Lou prob doesn’t care about competitive as much, I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone from that scene get caught cheating as they have a higher profile and I can’t imagine any pro team would want to be associated with someone who got caught cheating. He’d prob lose a ton of his followers and subs too and quite frankly he doesn’t really need to cheat. I’d be surprised if he got caught cheating but more shocking things than that have happened so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 8, 2020

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Up Circle posted:

i think it's safe to assume the dev's dont give a gently caress who is #1 in ranked or how legit they are. you literally just said one of the top predators was cheating for a significant period of time.
He was but he wasn’t number 1 and he didn’t have nearly as high a profile or play competitive vs the top streamers and pro players. Guessing he came out of nowhere though I don’t know the whole story behind that one.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't get you all complaining about people DCing. I rarely see people quit games even outside ranked, except in this winter train mode.
This is probably less of a problem at certain levels of play but once you hit level 500 and start getting put in sweaty lobbies it's super common.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Regrettable posted:

People don't intentionally disconnect in ranked because they lose rank points
It’s more the time ban that escalates with each infraction if I had to guess. You’d prob see the tier demotion protected people in plat IV do it if that wasn’t the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol aceu had a video a couple days ago of him killing lou a bunch and there's like a 4 minute long sequence of his entire team calling him a hacking piece of poo poo

Strangely, unranked is the cleanest fps gameplay I've ever experienced in the last 20 years. I either see nearly zero cheaters or they all suck so much that they just get steamrolled because they position like idiots/bad ammo management/make stupid pushes. That said, the wisdom for a long time has been that theoretically someone actually really good to begin with using cheats to be like a few percent better (as opposed to shitters trying to roleplay as not shitters) would be almost completely impossible to detect because normally you just look for incongruities in someone's play to determine if they're cheating. Like, do they have insanely good aim but move like a new player or not play cover. Or with slightly better cheaters, are they smart enough to not give away that they know where teams are before they have in game info?

Someone who is legitimately a very high level player who cheats and manages information would just look suspicious a bit and would seem inhuman about hitting clutch shots when poo poo goes down or like they'd have preternaturally good awareness mid-fight, but that's about it. Beyond that they should be able to completely integrate the cheating into their play in a non-recognizable way.

anyways the lou stuff was funny cuz that just looked like some poorly configured aimbot poo poo
I guess it's not impossible that he's cheating despite playing in actual tournaments (going back to the preseason LAN tournament in 2019), being under more intense scrutiny than most players, appealing his ban successfully, etc. Obviously you guys have raised some good points, like the poster who talked about the dude who pulled off cheating in CS LAN tournaments, if that guy can do it, it's probably even easier for someone currently playing Apex who hasn't had to play LAN tournaments in a while due to COVID. I guess if that were the case and he actually was cheating, you'd have to wonder how many other players in ranked or even comp. players are currently doing it. Generally in ranked the cheaters are so obvious because they're lasering people across the map with an L-star or R9. With someone like him he misses plenty of shots, doesn't appear to have unnatural strike-pack no recoil, and honestly he doesn't really seem like someone who would even need to cheat in ranked due to the insane amount of hours he plays and general play style of fighting as little as possible/very good positioning and just grinding ranked in a very methodical way with other top players including a guy who's played in some of the very first apex tournaments as well. (now to be fair a lot of top players in pro sports probably didn't need to cheat and still did, like Barry Bonds or Lance or what have you) At which point, he'd have to be pretty smart about when he turns on/off the cheats and it almost seems like it'd be easier/more logical to just not cheat. Knowing his personality and whatnot, I could totally believe that he's just simulating an aimbot to troll people. I'd personally default to probably not cheating but who knows, I guess if he gets outed as a cheater I'll believe it then, at which point you'd probably see a ton of other people and familiar names start getting banned as well.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 11, 2020