Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Generally I get a sense of relief when a teammate leaves because that's valuable seconds you don't need to spend reviving them and helping them gear back up which you can use for the most important part of the game which is Getting Violent

Both my first win and my best win as kill leader were with a extended mag 3 full auto Prowler so that gun is now in the Pantheon Of Guns Songbearer Will Eternally Love with the Spitfire (Until they nerf it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Wingmen in particular just punish the slow ADS movement speed of assault rifles and LMGs too much.

You don't ADS the Spitfire in the last circle :getin:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

AlternateAccount posted:

I remember one round early it was all I had, so I murdered a couple of people wit the Triple Take at hilariously close range from the hip.

I've used the Triple Take as a shotgun more times than I've ever used it for its intended purpose

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

AlternateAccount posted:

The best is when you actually collaborate and they feed you ult accels so you can call down packages over and over until someone can get a Mastiff and win the game.

Sadly you can't get gold weapons in Lifeline drops :smith:

Also I'd like to put forward that the RE-45 is a hot drop beast and shouldn't be overlooked. That thing shreds beautifully without attachments. You'll ditch it for the next best thing to come along but when you're up in someones grill there's not a lot you can do to stop it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Now, you're saying "well you don't have a lot of areas where you can get those 100m engagements without them being able to disengage and get closer where they have the advantage" and that I absolutely agree with.

This is why I love this loving game so much. You can be getting beaned with sniper shots from what seems like a huge distance away but the rate that you can cover ground means that you can take the fight straight to them while they're fumbling around with their scopes.

Snipers in first person shooters and especially battle royales are usually the death knell of fun but in this game there's hardly any opportunity to sit and camp. Nailing those headshots still feels great (My one successful knockdown with a Kraber made me feel like a god) but fights can go from relatively safe plinking to a tooth and nails 30m battle with grenades and artillery raining down around you in moments.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was playing Lifeline and just got called "so loving stupid" over mic (translated perfectly by text to voice) by my teammate who immediately died to a pack of three people because he was on his own, followed by my teammate who I refused to revive because he was completely out in the open about fifteen feet away from said enemies, then I grabbed both respawn beacons and tried to leg it because I couldn't 1v3 people near the tiny 2 door hut I was taking cover in.

I am glad I have mics off and text to voice on so most of what people say comes out as amusing garbage rather than hateful garbage

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bangalore's banners are by far the ugliest and that's saying something in a game full of hideous banners yeah I said it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Special Place In Hell Reserved For: People who are nominated jumpmaster, pass on the responsibility to someone else, then recommend a landing zone

Bonus points if they get pissy/leave if you ignore it, triple score if you go their route and they immediately die

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kronikle posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for spotting enemies better? I find my biggest issue is not seeing enemies until they're practically on top of me. When I watch streams it seems like good players can spot enemies from a mile away when I have literally 0 idea how they could even see them. Even when my squadmates are in fire fights I often struggle to find out where the shooting is coming from.

Play Bloodhound

I'm not even joking. Beast of the Hunt will generally be ready for use whenever you engage in a major fight and it makes spotting enemies ridiculously easy. The world goes grey and enemies are highlighted in red, including a trail of footsteps following behind them showing where they've moved to, and you move faster as well.

Bloodhound's passive shows you little notes in the world for movement and actions the enemies have taken in your area as well which makes it easy to deduce where they might be, and you get a sonar you can activate to pulse enemy positions through walls and smoke. I'm the same in that I have a difficult time spotting people (Though it's actually easier in this game than most other shooters, enemies are highlighted in a subtle way to make them stand out in the world) so Bloodhound really takes a lot of the edge out of it when starting up.

You'll eventually get better at it as you become more experienced but if you need help you really ought to try them first. The kit sounds boring initially but it's so useful and Beast Of The Hunt makes you a force to be reckoned with, especially during the chaos of the last few circles.

Now for some schadenfreude

quote:

I bought loot boxes about 300$ (430 Apex Loot boxes) and - - founder + starter pack twitch prime for 10 loot boxes first time use origin access Now I'm LV.38 and I've got Wraith's Kunai by 495 loot boxes time past...I thinking about this problem...It worse Then I catch the chat with Apex support and yeah I know It can't refund... And I think 'why am I not bought 2nd hand account it has kunai about 30$ and change it to my main account. Why am I stupid like that' Many players try to register new account for find kunai but ME spend for kunai it makes me depressed. This topic I just need to get my problems off my chest because I know all EA rules. No In-game refundable, no offers anything content. But I don't know how can I handle this feeling.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Rebuttal: Kicking down doors

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Space Hamlet posted:

Not my shots, nor am I arguing that more of these should have hit - just, this poo poo sometimes feels like the essence of the game.

Shots 1-5: Clearly missed.
Shots 6-9: Missed due to recoil (bad spray control).
Shots 10-11: Very close, but recoil and inaccuracy make these reasonable misses.
Shot 12: Likely didn't actually fire because Hiko was already dead.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There are so many good games out this year yet the craving to play Apex forever seems to override my desire to play them

I have Yakuza fuckin' Kiwami to get through, Apex, get away from me, please, please why

E: Where's my balance patchnote that says "Increased Alternator damage from 15 - 20 to 120 per shot, we're sorry Songbearer, it's just the way you remember it from TF|2 now, also here's a lot of money as compensation for the sadness you felt when you picked it up before, also we love you"

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 7, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Mirage passive: Generate a bamboozle when shot, on a cooldown

Ultimate: Constantly generate bamboozles in all different directions who generate their own bamboozles playing soundbytes. The bamboozles also break into three more bamboozles when shot

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The fact this game is fun with pubbies, fun even if you don't win and you don't even need a microphone to be well co-ordinated should earn everyone who worked on this game a goddamn medal

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm wondering how solos would work and the thought that keeps springing to mind is basically a huge deathmatch map, a mostly indoors paintball style arena with several floors and open areas

Basically it's a hardcore Titanfall match that's over in probably less than ten minutes for the entire round

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
"Play Titanfall 2" should be a mandatory law for anyone who lost their faith in shooting games, both multiplayer and single player

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Last Stand hop-up for the Mozambique: When you get downed you can pull it out with three shots left in the chamber

Gun saved

v You'd still miss

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 8, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What is the wraith knife, anyway? Does it just give her a new melee animation?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Let me know when Bloodhound gets a crow melee weapon that pecks the eyes out of the enemies you hit it with

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The HAVOC is Fine, a death sentence in a game where a lot of guns are Awesome or Great

Still would take it over a Triple Take

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The R Series guns rock so hard. They're your gimmickless, pleasant to use buddies which are handsome and useful from beginning to end (except gently caress the default magazine size)

What is the coolest looking gun in the game? Ignoring how bad the Triple Take is (its bad) I think it's a super cool looking gun.

The Alternator is also awesome and I love the animation of the bolts as the gun fires but its performance means I never get to look at it anymore

Wingman and Peacekeeper are the least for me. I love lever actions but the Peacekeeper looks overdesigned to gently caress and the Peacekeeper is so needlessly complicated. I hated it in TF|2 and I like it less here

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 8, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If an almost certain win results in your death due to a stupid decision, and in the aftermath you try to think what you could've done better and the answer is "literally anything other than the stupid bullshit you just tried", you're in good company with me, friend

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The last circle is basically a siren call for me to completely lose my poo poo. If I die one more time due to my dickhead habit of trying to reload out in the open rather than switching to my completely loaded, fully modded secondary, I'm going to apply to have my gaming license revoked

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Add a gravity grenade that sucks people in and then hurls them away

Break people out of cover or use it on yourself for BIG PLAYS

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
People playing as a duo who don't fetch your respawn beacon when you're the third wheel make me sad. I can catch bullets for you, friend, it's better to have me with you than without :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Spitfire/Turbo Devotion, the supreme loadout, because your enemies might have to reload... but you won't

The Alternator in its natural habitat: Almost, but not quite, ever getting the job done

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
^^ I'll pick up grenades but good luck getting me to remember to use them when poo poo kicks off :downs:

I do wish there was a more general voice emote wheel to go alongside the ping system. I want to be able to Thanks on demand or give a Nice Shot or character celebration

Though I know why it's not included because in all likelihood teammates would just use it to constantly passive aggressively thank you every time they get downed or spam voice lines while you're trying to concentrate

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Make Mirage's passive cause the decoy to ragdoll like an actual corpse and drop a killbox that, when opened, explodes with confetti while a prerecorded message plays mocking the enemy

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I shelled out for a Blue Yeti (in blue!), a mic stand and a pop filter because I (very rarely) do video stuff and I can't wear headphones since I have dependants who need me from time to time, and I will admit that having your voice all smooth like a radio presenter does a lot to make you feel good about yourself over voip

Though with Apex's current voip system you'll still come out talking like a tin can robot and I'm too shy to talk to randoms so I have text to speech conversion on and only mic up if we win to congratulate people :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Having the grenades actually go where they say they will is a new and exciting concept in the Battle Royale genre, and helps immensely

I yeeted a grenade about 50m away to kill someone I had downed behind a rock and now I'm in love. I'm level 41 and always forget to use grenades so I've been practising staying level headed and making sure I'm using the gear I'm carrying correctly. Blowing doors completely apart to get the delicious team trying to rez within is satisfying as all hell.

Had an amazing game just now with someone who clearly knew what they were doing and I actually managed to keep pace with them, matching them kill for kill. We had a new player on our team as a Wraith and although they predictably forgot to use their powers, they managed to unintentionally clutch save us when Killy McMurderson got downed outside the zone and I hadn't gotten the health to engage the person who did it. They were the last member of a squad we recently wiped and if they had pressed the advantage we'd have been easy to roll over and let the Wraith get overwhelmed, but instead the Wraith insisted on plinking at them with a pistol. This scared the other guy so much that I had time to revive Mr Murder, we both got healed up, then we bumrushed them and I killed him with the Alternator. I loving did it, you guys, the Alternator got a kill!

The last enemy was a Pathfinder with a kraber who was sniping on top of a mountain in Bone Zone, so I popped Beast Of The Hunt and tried to bumrush him. I didn't die but I also couldn't reach him, fortunately the zone was so close it pushed him out of position and he jumped down right between all three of us, Kraber in his hands like a limp dick. You could hear the balloon deflating noise as we all opened up on him and smeared his adorable robot body all over the desert. 14 kills between the two of us and 1k damage for me and Captain Slaughter and 1 kill for our new friend :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah what's up with that. I'm a path main, and was wondering why I'm shooting other Pathfinders. Never played the first one though, probably missed a bunch. And if Apex is in the same universe, is it a sequel or prequel?

Apex is a sequel, set about 30 years after Titanfall 2. The IMC and the Frontier peoples have pretty much been disbanded and the Apex games seem to be a show/proving ground for the Apex Predators faction (Highest bidder mercenaries) as seen in Titanfall 2.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Utgardaloki posted:

it couldn't possibly be that far in the future, unless Blisk ages uncommonly well

If age kills him, time is better

If he doesn't die, he's better

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Most classes require some amount of thought to use them well, but Caustic rewards people who can roleplay significantly better than those who can't

If you're a cruel, sadistic monster who enjoys watching the suffering of others and will go through extreme lengths just to see someone die in a horribly unusual and terrifying mess, congratulations, you can Caustic

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's not reactive armour, you're just puncturing his suit :gonk:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

tweet my meat posted:

My secret to good pubbie experiences is to come out the gate with unrelenting positivity and some small talk to build rapport. People feel awkward being rude to someone that's nice to them unless they're capital T Toxic.

I had a eastern European dude ranting off the hook to/about me (He kept pronouncing my name as ZhongBEERa which was funny as heck) from the beginning of a match and I don't think he was trying to be nice to me, but I still pinged things, gave them ammo and gear they needed and helped out. The ranting died away eventually when they realised how helpful I was being in the face of what I can only assume was abuse.

Speech to text is the best addition ever though because you can still get a weird general jist out of people who do speak English from the few words the transition got right, but it turns general abuse and whining into nonstop hilarity especially if they're shouting and it's distorting their input even more

As for Hemlok usage, I completely dismissed the gun when I initially played because the burst fire is goddamn awful and makes the gun feircely unpleasant to use. When I found out about single shot Hemlok, I decided gently caress it, give it a shot and now I consider it a viable weapon for early to mid game. It's a solid use of Heavy ammo until I can switch it to a Spitfire, but even if I can't get one I don't feel completely lost taking it into the last ring. It's not amazing or anything, but it's a solid middle of the road contender.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 11, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lyon posted:

I have no idea how good it is but my buddy told me about http://3daimtrainer.com. It lets you set your Apex settings and it has two training programs, target shooting and target tracing. I’m traveling for work and didn’t bring my mouse so I haven’t tested it out. No idea if it will actually help people work on their tracing and reflexes or not but might be worth a shot.

Aim Labs on STEAM is free, has an Apex setting and will tell you what you're doing wrong. It has a ton of different drills, I highly recommend it.

Apparently my reactions are below average, I have issues aiming at people on my left and I overshoot enemies a lot. This all checks out.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Did You Know: This Game Is So Good, You Guys

I've played 160 hours of PUBG and 56 hours of this and I've had countless more memorable moments and all-round fun in Apex compared to that game, holy poo poo, it hardly seems fair

I played about 4 rounds of Fortnite and could see the appeal for people who liked it but personally hated the building aspect. I had kind of written BRs off but way to loving go, Respawn, I'm a believer

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 13, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'll never understand why people don't drop at Thunderdome before moving onto Skull. Thunderdome is high tier loot and nobody drops there, it's straight to skull, so by the time you roll into the town that's about 30 seconds away you're a heavily armoured clean up crew

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dibs

There's a special place in hell for duos who refuse to revive their rando teammate when it's safe. If they've been with you from the beginning (not running into some firefight in bumfuck nowhere and dying), have clearly been trying to help you win and haven't acted like a dick, there's really no excuse. Even if you think they're poo poo having a third person for pressure or even as a temporary bulletcatcher raises your survivability hugely.

Not sure abut the moral grey zone of looting all the good poo poo from their bodybag though. I don't do it unless I need to rearm and shield real quick in a big fight but I can't help but feel annoyed when it happens to me. When I respawn a dude I tend to drop my secondary and its mods & ammo, some healing items and if it's super safe my body armour if there's more nearby. It's so much more important to get the murder ball rolling again than it is to hold onto your trinkets and I know that someone who treats me with kindness despite dying on them gives me extra impetus to really try my hardest to help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I love you, Swamp, and nobody can take away all the special moments we had together

The stilt houses give you so many opportunities to ambush people or just hide in bizarre places if you're being shot at

A big issue with it is that if you're caught out on the ground it's super flat and there's really no place to go