Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think one thing it exposes is that the traditional gaming marketing budget of tens of millions on tv ads and billboards and such is just pure waste.

You spend a tenth of that on "influencers" and get way more reach yeah. There's a reason they had 1 million unique logins and that reason is called hiring a poo poo-ton of streamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Duck and Cover posted:

I always though Overwatch's skin game was weak but this game managed to be even weaker.

From a while back, but man that is a real bad take. Apex Legend's skin game might actually be the best in the industry, because they haven't hosed up the character silhouettes beyond all recognition (yet). Cosmetics jump off a cliff when they start radically changing what a character looks like, and that's the place where a lot of games start.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

gently caress I hope they add the EPG or whatever that rocket launcher instagib thing was called from Titanfall 2. I ran that exclusively in that single elimination mode they added after launch. :hellyeah:

The EPG (which was just a Tribes disclauncher which makes it awesome by default) and the overheating energy LMG thing that I don't remember the name of were both really cool and it's sad that they're not in Apex.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fixed recoil pattern = no gun but r 301 after a while? I was never one of those CS players but won't a good one be able to hold down the trigger and hit all the shots, after sufficient practice?

Yup. It's why fixed recoil patterns are a terrible piece of game design, that some FPS games copy out of some cargo-cult mentality where "CS does it so it must be good".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

panda clue posted:

Why is being able to master a mechanic in a game 'terrible game design'?

Because if you can just fire any gun full auto and be pinpoint accurate, why have recoil in the first place? Learning by rote which gun has which pattern isn't a mastering a mechanic, it's busywork - and it also defeats the purpose of having recoil on guns. Recoil in games exists so you can't just hold the button down at any range - fixed pattern recoil undermines that entirely. Turns out when every gun is a perfectly accurate laser, the only thing that matters is DPS and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what's already happening in Apex at the higher levels.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 15, 2019