Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ever since i set the game to run at fullscreen because new games just love to gently caress with mouse accel or make it feel laggy whatever and running at fullscreen tends to fix that, i've been regularly winning because the aiming and bullet physics just seem to Click for me even though I was complete and total rear end at all other BRs. real good feeling makes my 3 brain cells happy when i win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Retro42 posted:

Caustic is amazing but situational. Same as Mirage. Caustic is currently my most played and I think he’s just not fully understood yet. Part of the issue is that your gas rarely gets a kill but can secure one for your team really easy. Even if it doesn’t damage them it forces them out of the location. He can absolutely be the dude chucking torches in a building while your squad waits nearby with rifles ready.

One tip I would share is always throw down the gas traps. They have a 15 second recharge and you can have 6 out. Spam them at possible enemy ambush spots, doorways, everywhere. Goal is to have a cluster of traps around you all the time even as you move. Same with his ult, the cool down is quick enough you can throw it without worry it won’t be back in time later.

Someone mentioned Caustic as Teemo, he’s more like Singed if we stick with the outdated(for me) LoL analogy. You don’t want to trap them, you want them to run away (into a kill box) when they see you.

Got my first legendary btw: Mastiff PestControl skin...guess I’ll see it once every 10-15 rounds.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/182242992223027200/543978091417174016/1549752971795.webm
"no you may not be codenamed The Gas Chamber"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

When you hit Gen50 you unlock a pilot character and your ult is a titan drop.

shroud is already lvl 67 or something

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i don't know about the audio thing because while i think the audio design is absolutely stellar, i feel the audio balancing is coming through a muffled wall and i can barely hear anything. I have sound effect volume at 100 with everything else throttled down and I barely hear footsteps while hearing voice lines and such just fine. although on the other end of the spectrum i hate when BRs have way massive sound stages where the guns just blast out your eardrums like real life but you need to have volume high to hear poo poo, so i'm conflicted. i just want it to be at the perfect goldilocks zone you know?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

if you set it to anything, turn adaptive resolution to 0

wait what does that do? I thought if i set it to 60 it'd do its best to try to guarantee 60.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

J posted:

Just had a game where the jumpmaster pinged a spot, pubbie #2 says jump now dude you took too long to jump, then both pubbies start calling each other slurs on the way down. But after we hit the ground they stopped and were strictly business with good concise comms and teamwork and we rolled to probably my easiest win so far. :psyduck:

wish i had pubbies with half a neuron to rub between themselves. just lost a solo queue where i carted them to #2 with them pretty much almost getting a 0/0/0 game (14 and 57 damage). Some highlights include the gibraltar going afk during drop and the other pub not knowing how to solo drop so they're all the way on the outskirts while I'm hoofing it towards them slaying a squad and a straggler along the way, having to stop pinging at all because they would without fail just blindly fire at wherever i pinged for whatever reason, even when i started resorting to just using "i'm watching here" pings, like the one guy had a prowler with no optics and was trying to fire at a ping 300m away, not even an enemy ping I don't even get it. Then at the end when it was 3v1, we were in the circle with the enemy who we knew was stranded on an island outside. Cue the gibraltar deciding to shield on top of us then ulting so that he breaks his own shield, goes down, then the lifeline immediately starts picking him up and gets niced by the enemy too. I'm not even mad at them moreso me because I didn't reload to get that last damage tick to win, I just want to know what any thought process went into any of their actions.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bardeh posted:

Only if you have legendary armor. Otherwise they're just for fun.

it also goes through knockdown shield so they're useful in the niche cases the guy has backed into a corner with a high shield and you want to secure a kill for good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

do you guys think i'd be able to run shadowplay on a 970 with everything turned down to low without it impacting anything? just had the absolute most insane 5 minutes of end game ever (the amount of adrenaline drop froze my hands and i couldn't move my arms at all for a solid 5 minutes after it ended) and i'd absolutely hate to lose out on clipping something like that again

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Elysiume posted:

Shadowplay generally doesn’t impact FPS too much. Might as well just flip it on for a match or two to see if it causes a problem for you.

I'm in the geforce experience overlay thing and I'm assuming it's just this instant replay thing, right? Do you have to manually turn it on every time or is there a way to make it auto on when you boot up the game?

also i'm a bit of a dunce with these settings, why does lowering resolution on the resulting video not lower the estimated file size but lowering bitrate does?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spacedad posted:

Lowering the bitrate = more video compression.

ah true, i guess. and i'm assuming the 1-50mbps i can allocate to bitrate is reliant on gpu and the write speed of whatever drive I'm saving to, right? what'd be a decent bitrate to cap to for 720p60?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spacedad posted:

You should always record at your display's resolution and with a relatively high bitrate. The only reason to lower it is if you have hard drive storage issues. But that's what serial 3-5tb drives are for. (I have a 3tb drive and spent the last year regularly recording shadowplay footage and it's barely made a dent.)

Shadowplay is basically a built-in capture card; with the 10-series cards it barely impacts GPU performance, and even less so with the new RTX cards.

Problem is I have no gauge of what a "relatively high" bitrate would be, but I'm assuming when you say 3-5tb drive you mean that a regular 7200rpm hard drive, right? It'd be alright to just dial it up to 50mbps on that?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spacedad posted:

I actually checked into the hard drive related stuff a bit more, and here's the general way you should set things up:

Shadowplay temp, / Shadowplay highlights / Shadowplay recording = Set those to be stored to your SSD. Just manually copy-paste the files from highlights and recording as needed from your SSD to your HDD. Don't worry about temp - it's temp.

Shadowplay instant replay = Set those to be stored to your serial HDD. If there's any minor performance slowdown that happens from activating your HDD it will likely just be brief for as long as it takes to write the video to your HDD storage.

Reason being is the instant replay is recording things in the temp folder but only uses your HDD if you hit the command to capture the last X minutes of your shadowplay instant replay.

I think this should work okay but if anyone knows that shadowplay instant replay impacts performace even if you have the temp set to SSD - feel free to correct me on this.

Also you can probably put Shadowplay recording to your SSD as well if you plan on making a lot of direct-recording stuff, i.e. recording entire play sessions.

Edit: Also I don't believe nvidia has added highlights features for Apex Legends just yet. Highlights just auto-record stuff like your kills, deaths, and victories in games like Fortnite.

yeah i'm just interested in instant replay. i'm the type who processes clips immediately so i don't build up a massive backlog of poo poo to render so space isn't an issue, but i was under the impression that constantly writing to ssd was bad for its health and i've already logged on like 26tb on this 850evo 500gig and i don't know if that's encroaching 0 hp or not

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

megane posted:

This would help a ton, it's a weird oversight.

Even just a pair of dots on their little card to show what ammo types would be useful.

Or just straight up have the same gun tabs on the right of the screen under their names because they'd slot in perfectly there

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i love mirage i love him so much

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

when is new season

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

apex is hte game that defined the ping system strong enough to communicate basic things very well, so not necessary, but also zalman clip on mics are like 8 dollars on amazon too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

all of my shadow games bar one the shadows have completely won

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i keep chat on and join in when they start poo poo talking my playing then they don't know what to do

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dogstile posted:

Bloodhound seems like he's pretty essential right now, with the constant scans meaning you'll definitely be able to shotgun peek everyone with an advantage every time. I don't particularly like Gibby this season (feels like i'm getting one clipped every fight) but his dome + arm shield is letting me shield dance with people.

I don't think you can go for the "punch them out of the shield" option that I used to go for. I used to do that to stop other people from also dancing in the shield but now if i do it i get clipped before the punch connects.

Despite not liking this season as much my K/D is sitting at a pretty 3.05, which is higher than my last season of mostly solo play that ended at 2.7/8 or so. My winrate is also up to 15%. from 12%.

E: Also rampart needs a buff. You either disengage at the start of every firefight so she can set up or you lose to a squad with actual abilities they can use mid fight. You can split up buildings pretty well (i like setting up walls in front of doors that enemies try to block, then kicking the door out) and its decent third party protection if you've been building fighting a lot, but its pretty terrible 90% of the time. I actually think Caustic is better out in the open than she is, because at least then you can cover your rear end in the fights where you're pushing around rocks and they're backing up around it. If you do that with rampart you're either going to let them shoot you in the back or you're gonna give them half cover because it doesn't take much to break the amped part.

E2:

Lol

drat how do i get from where i'm at with barely a 1.00 kda can't robust at all to those kinds of numbers?

e: also i know the triple take's hella good now but on the topic of longbow vs sentinel, is there any point to the sentinel because I feel that even with the instant shield destruction gimmick, the fact that most people hover around 75 shield and barely anyone is maxing out at 100 means that the sentinel's only doing like 6 more damage than the longbow with those shots, right?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 24, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

does this mean everyone will start with one pip of armor on drop or the first evo level will bump you up from 0 to 2 for white?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

John DiFool posted:

you love to see it

if only you had dragged the game on for 26 more seconds

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

just had some guy say some choice gamer words into chat because i took his bloodhound from him while i was getting water, and then the instant we get in game he throat rippingly starts banshee screaming lmao

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I've noticed that there is a voice in my head that goes "don't do that it is a bad idea" and usually I ignore it and die. So I'm working on listening to it and generally just slowing my play down a bit.

you may be wraith irl

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i literally without fail will always drop straight down to the nearest poi whenver i am jumpmaster

e: on that note, i don't know if jump strats were ever changed, is it still follow a gradual exponential curve down to the location or are there different strats for approaching different distances?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

freebooter posted:

The only unforgivable sin for me that I won't revive/respawn for is someone who spams the enemy button when they've been knocked down and then spams the respawn beacon button when they're dead. Go play Call of Duty you narcissistic child.

Do people generally find people who spam enemy when down annoying? I only do it when I'm getting thirst finishered as a general indicator that it's happening but idk what that even looks like to my team since I never see anyone do it for me

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dogstile posted:

They want you to win 5% of your games so at 15% I was probably breaking the gently caress out of their algorithm. :v:

It's fine they fixed it, I haven't had a random teammate stay past the first fight in the past 20 games

I was going to make some self own saying I veer horribly to the other side of that but I guess actually I'm not doing too horrible at 15 wins in 390 games s6 so far which puts me at around 3.8% winrate so far

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dogstile posted:

Honestly i've got a bunch of clips for tonight, but here's my latest revenant bamboozle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-MFy3fLGs

(Ignore the "you guys loving suck", i have a habit of talking to enemy squads, that's not aimed at my buds, i'm a little drunk here)

i like the idea of enemies seeing a flying box coming at them because of revenant's taunt :)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sputnik posted:

Seems like it is time for that friendly PSA to turn your EA account to Location: Belgium so that battle passes pump out crafting mats instead of worthless apex packs.

Save your crafting mats for the event skins and get yourself clown caustic / cat wraith / whatever.

how many do you get, and does the legendary apex pack at the end give you more?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

burexas.irom posted:

Well I wouldn't call it a nerf exactly, Path is OP because of the verticality, and vertical plays incur small cooldowns. If you wanna go far, just use the zip anyway.

I played a couple games where using grapple permanently stuck my shoulder onto my view covering about 33% of the screen

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Simone Magus posted:

Golden rule applies. By stealing the magazine, they were signaling that they think it's okay to grief others, meaning it's okay to grief them

makes you look like a loser if you post about it on a forum though

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The gas is still going to provide similar to Bangalore smoke levels of vision obscure, just without the blurry filter, which by the way will be a buff to his teammates fighting around the gas, it's really annoying to lose a gunfight because you can't see who your aiming at because your teams caustic threw gas everywhere.

Gonna make a Trident prediction, unless your team has a Gibraltar for mobile domes the thing will be a deathtrap because any competent team you drive past who isn't running 6 shotguns should be able to put 600 damage into something that size very quickly.

they already removed the blur for teammates toward the tail end of season 6 a few weeks ago, they're just removing it for enemies too now

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wonder if it'll be wholly steam boot up or if it'll be the garbage 'this button just boots up origin anyways' deal

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

steam is taking like 2 hours to unpack, is that normal?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

do you think it's possible to do that one swap to belgium region to change battle pass boxes into crafting material on steam?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Also this season is only 10 weeks long?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I dont really have much of an answer to the actual question but lol I always thought apex was way more hardcore and sweaty than cod because it's essentially titan fall lite with all the tech you could use

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Peewi posted:

When I play Loba I just grab what I want and leave it up for my team to get stuff at their own pace.

I don't think it times out, but it does disappear if you put a new market down nearby.

i don't know if closing the black market does anything like maybe it makes it recharge faster, but i had a p consistent string of lobas in season 6 who would always break and shut down the market the instant they were done looting from it even if I was in the midst of pulling something out from it. I assume it's just gamers being poo poo to their teammates though

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I actually thought the BP was working p okay once they changed default stars to 5000 a pop but I'm not complaining about making it easier more and more. Is there any way to set the steam version to Belgium mode to get crafting mats from the BP now?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hackan Slash posted:

I think the easier challenges are the most important part, stuff like going from 75 minutes to 15 minutes is huge.

yeah like with the new system assuming you get all the dailies done every day you get 5.6 levels from the daily stars. in comparison, to reach 5 levels off exp in the previous version would have taken 135k exp of which the dailies would have accounted for 70k.. and uh, I'm finding it hard to continue figuring out how it all breaks down here mathwise, anyone else want to tackle this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Simone Magus posted:

Every BP level is 50k, and challenges now give the equivalent of 5, 10 or 15k. Before, the actual valuation of challenge rewards fluctuated wildly; a 6k challenge was sometimes worth 2/3 of a level, and sometimes was only worth 1/9 of a level, which is a massive dropoff

The raw exp value needed for each level sucks but the fact that the dailies offer more overall exp in general is what's meant to offset it. It's why I used the 5 level average for the previous BP which would cost 9k-18-27-36-45k for 135k (I'm excising the 54k level just to make it more in the previous BP's favor actually). With the new system, to reach 5 levels it requires 250k but as you say, the daily challenges are now comparatively worth more, getting all 8 in a day nets you 40k a day compared to the 10k from before. A weekly rotation of dailies from previous season is worth 70k which is ~52% of the exp necessary for those 5 levels whereas the same for the new system nets you 280k which exceeds the exp required to reach 5 levels in a week off dailies alone. Beyond these 5 weekly levels, the 50k per level with the star system actually ends up more efficient than the 54k you'd be on with the old system.

But then also you throw in the 2 free weekly levels you got with the previous system and that throws all the math out so idk anymore lol