Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Morphix posted:

Is your squad flying off to the edge of the map? Because if so, that might be why. The loot gathering feels a little bit overhwleming and like it's a must, but I've died just as many times when I had a tricked out yellow gun as I did with a standard.

The only thing that's loving with me is the server tic rate, I'm so used to Counter Strike or at least Overwatch where it's so much responsive. I keep missing like half my shots.

What is the tick rate of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
But really, what's the server tickrate please??

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
If it's 14 hours to unlock one, it's more than 28 to unlock two. You get 600 points for leveling up, and levels are gained slower and slower, aren't they?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting? I am just wandering around like it's Skyrim, going through chests and grabbing loot; but by the time we make contact everyone else is rocking purple armor and endgame weapons and I'm still looking for a helmet and second gun.
:confused:

Keep doing what you're doing. I need kills

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I was really surprised when I first saw that enemies can use Wraiths ult portal. It's still probably a really strong ability in some cases, but I can't figure 'em out.

Also does anyone know how the Pathfinder passive works exactly? I heard someone say they could reuse ones they have already used, but it looks like they disappear from the map when others use them

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
If you have the FOV turned up above 80 the sniper range ticks won't work properly, apparently.

https://gfycat.com/FarDeterminedGnatcatcher

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Pivo posted:

Are you sure it's 80? Unless I completely forgot that I changed it, I thought the default FOV was 90.

Not sure but it looks okay here
https://gfycat.com/WindingGiddyIceblueredtopzebra

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

mcbexx posted:

You don't even need Atmos, Windows has it's own build-in spatial sound, Windows Sonic since the Fall update.

Go to your audio device properties, select the Spatial Sound tab (or whatever it's called) and pick "Windows Sonic for Headphones", check "Activate Virtual 7.1 surround sound". It sounds marginally worse than Atmos, but the positioning is fine, and it's free. Edit: Still needs to be supported by the game of course, which Apex Legends currently does not if I'm not mistaken.

You can turn it on/off by right-clicking your speaker icon in the tray as well once it's activated. It will default the audio mode to stereo for the selected device though (Virtual Surround only works in stereo configurations).

Is that enabled in the game then by default? I can't find any options for 7.1 in game.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Morphix posted:

Counter Point:

de_Dust

Nobody cares about de_dust, de_dust2 is what matters.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

kecske posted:

It feels like every time I've died in the closing fights of a game it's down to a wraith diving in with a peacemaker :argh:

Yeah it seems the legends with movement abilities are the good ones. Movement > anything else

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is pretty conventional wisdom in PUBG; spend your precious attention and ammo on the other threats, not on "securing a kill" on someone who is absolutely not a threat. And a downed player tends to distract thier team mates more than if they were dead.

I know whenever MY friend is downed I'm going all in on these bastards.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Yup. It's why fixed recoil patterns are a terrible piece of game design, that some FPS games copy out of some cargo-cult mentality where "CS does it so it must be good".
They copied CS and thats why shooting in this game is so good

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

panda clue posted:

I miss almost all of my shots with the wingman because I am bad with the wingman

Wingman is the best because even if you miss you still have 11 shots left to hit with and do 84 damage, and you can just fire immediately.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Gunder posted:

This is just not true. There are at least 2 "missed" shots that definitely hit. One of them you even see the projectile pass through the body of the target and clean out the other side.

Forget the projectile effect that the game draws.. it lingers for a while so if your target is moving into it it could easily look like you should have hit, even though you shot in front of them.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I got a Kraber headshot on someone hiding behind a short rock, by using the bullet fall to hit them even when I couldn't see them

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
What exactly do the stocks do, faster ADS animation? Do you move faster with the gun?

mcbexx posted:

Yeah, how does that mechanic work, by the way?
It seems like knocked down players take what feels like another 100 HP damage sometimes. Is it just 100+ (or whatever the knocked down HP is) overkill to instantly take a player out?

There's nothing like this in the game

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, I have the need for speed and can't imagine choosing Wraith over Pathfinder. Their abilities are even similar, with a gap closer/escape tool plus a team relocation ult. But Pathfinder seems much more fun and flashy to me. I'm surprised the pro streamers aren't rolling as him for insane trickshots. unless they are. I don't watch streamers much but it seems like they mostly play Wraith or Bangalore.

He doesn't turn invincible, which I think is the biggest reason Wraith is the best

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently Rainbow 6 Siege just announced a new character, and it's a realistic looking, bulky, muscular woman. A bunch of the fans (well, redditors) are declaring they hate it because "real special forces wouldn't have fat women" (lol at the idea Rainbow 6 Siege is at all like real special forces).

It occurs to me no one's really mad about Gibraltar being not skinny (other than the fact he has a big hitbox). I wonder why that is! Couldn't be the gender, oh no.

Nice! But how does this help me win the round of Battle Royale in Apex: Legends?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Why do people not value the Triple Take? It fires quickly, it's extremely easy to hit with (not much drop, and if you don't charge the choke shot then you have a better chance to hit horizontally anyway). I love the thing and take it over every gun except the gold ones and the wingman.
You gotta post your winrate or something if you're gonna post stuff like this.

There really should be a division of MMR/ELO or something... in the Apex thread.

lonter fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 20, 2019

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The Havoc is really cool...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDT53ZmCI3E

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I would agree except knowing how much health and what kind of armor an enemy has is absolutely critical information. I don't ever actually read the numbers, just the color. If I see purple or gold numbers pop up, and I'm not at full/health shields, it informs my decision-making process in that moment on whether to continue the assault or back off.

That gets real annoying when you use a shotgun, as you'll see a bunch of floating "11"s or whatever for every pellet stacked up to the top of the screen.

I'm sure you get to see their armour level even with damage numbers off.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I have this (bad?) habit of stopping sprinting and just doing regular running when in a urban firefight with lots of cover, cause I want to flank enemies but I assume everyone is listening for footsteps even mid fight - because I am. But often it just means I'm getting the flank too slow. You can actually hear sprinting footsteps really far away in this game, it seems

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Caustic basically doesn't have a passive, they've just worded it that way. They could have done that with any other character too, remove Wraith's passive and replace it with "when using Into The Void you move faster!" or something...

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Fangz posted:

Direct hitbox area checking doesn't shift over to 'this character is good/bad' that simply.

Awful understanding of how shooters work right here..

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Post a guide then, because the only other way is to spend hours upon hours bashing your head against a wall until you learn 'em and that's even MORE moronic

You can just go to twitch and watch other people play if you don't want to play yourself I guess. Not really sure what you expect from a video game at all to be honest.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I love skulltown cause you can juke in and around those houses so much, I down full squads there by just peeking and backing off and coming back from an unexpected angle. Often the most unexpected angle is the same one again and again

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

some parts of it are solid but there's a bunch of grating, too

I have been on top of the cage with a Kraber, shooting at people inside it. Even though the ceiling is grating and I clearly saw them through the 6x scope, the bullet was blocked completely by the grating texture.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
If everyone that did a 180 on the hitbox issue for no apparent reason at all (reposting the very same comparison image that was posted last week) could just look within themselves and think about why and how they could be so wrong, and realize that it's because they are bad and that should only post about balance to learn, never again to teach, and be humble and thankful when others tell you that you're wrong... That'd be great

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

As someone who is better than 95% of players at dropping the squad quickly and accurately even at long distance, I love players that do this. You can get a good feel for how to drop better just by watching good drops which is how I learned.

The speed-o-meter when watching others drop is bugged though, so I find it's not really accurate in showing what others do..

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

What is it about this game that makes it so easy to whiff shots? I'm not :pcgaming: esports sick or whatever, but I've never played a shooter where I just can't seem to hit poo poo to this extent - and I see much better players than myself perform some spectacular whiffs, too. I think it would frustrate me less if I could put my finger on what about the game causes it! I don't think it has the smallest hitboxes or the quickest movement of games I've played, so I'm left a little confused.

Not my shots, nor am I arguing that more of these should have hit - just, this poo poo sometimes feels like the essence of the game.

You have to be a bit deliberate with the timing of your shots with single fire guns - don't just spam click it to fire at the highest possible rate (unless theyre right up in your face)

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

Been playing this on my Xbox. Finally decided to fire up my pc to see what is like on the.

Apparently my CPU is not good enough to play, I get the SSE 3 error.

Guess I'm going to have to keep playing on Xbox
Interesting post, thanks for sharing. I have a similar issue on my PC, it says "apexr6.exe is not a 16-bit executable". Back to the old Xbox I go then.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
What is the "wins with full squad" meant to track? I thought it was wins as a full group of 3 friends, but I have never done that yet the number has gone up. Also it doesn't count all my wins, and I am pretty sure I've won with all 3 alive and it didn't go up.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
My Mirage banner was 0 kills with golden drop pod weapons, and 0 wins with full squad. But then I got "full squad" wins even playing with 2 randoms.. they hosed up my banner

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Dren posted:

Are we sure Bangalore is better than Lifeline?
Yeah! Lifeline only has a slight hitbox advantage.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They need to lock the boxes to the killer for 60 seconds

That's the last opinion you were allowed to have

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

Eva isn't as good as peacekeeper for the main thing you want from a close range gun though, which is a weapon that doesn't require as consistent tracking due to high burst damage. The pks projectile speed feels significantly faster than eva. As someone with a lot of experience with both I think the PK is strictly superior

How does projectile speed matter for close ranged weapons?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Wingman goood gun still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpU0De_nS20

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I'm in ranked plat now (only playing solo) and up until now ranked has been easier than unranked to me. Noticably easier. It has definately changed in plat though.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Not one, not two, but four teamers in solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvpk-rK4dk

How can there be one teamer dude... Think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

wa27 posted:

It's funny how fun and satisfying the charge rifle is and how lame the charge shot on the Havoc rifle is.

And the charge rifle uses 1 ammo per shot, while the havoc rifle uses .. 4? 6? And has crazy drop off.. and requires you to find a purple hop up