Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm just indecisively swapping between all the different characters right now. Grapple hook guy seems cool but I don't really know what the best ways to use his thing are.
I randomly ran into two pubs with mics and got dragged kicking and screaming to victory through 3 resurrections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fun Times! posted:

Does the game automatically choose the correct shield/health pickup to use?

For the healing items? Nah, you have to hold the heal button to bring up an item wheel and pick the right one.

Shampy posted:

Yeah, it won't let you pick up one if it's not an upgrade.

Your current shields are tied to the armor you're wearing, so you can actually pick up a `downgrade` set if its shield bar is fuller than yours.
Also more annoyingly, it means if you heal up after a fight and then swap your armor out for the dead guy's armor, you just wasted your shield cells.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 5, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hiddenriverninja posted:

Do you get more of the specific currency for the extra characters if you do well or is a per match/over time kind of thing?

Character unlock points are only from leveling up, but you get more xp if you do well. The other "crafting materials" currency that you use to get cosmetics only comes from lootboxes (but you get free lootboxes for leveling up too).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just died so hard it crashed the game :confuoot:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, does this run for anyone on Win7?

It "works" for me but a few times already the game has crashed/frozen in the middle of gameplay.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you want lots of loot fast (at the expense of having to fight off every other player who wants the same thing), try to land either on the dropship or the blue "hot zone" circle on the map.

Also there's plenty of loot outside chests too if you run through buildings and up staircases. If you only get the chests outside and move on I guess you'll be pretty low on stuff.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xarbala posted:

Had some pretty funny games with some other goons on the discord tonight, we got #2 once and proceeded to drown in our own blood in fistfights for the next four matches after.

Definitely much more polished than plunkbat. Can't compare it to any other BR but there's that.

Never not punch things. If the squad wipes it just means you weren't punching enough! :black101:

The Kins posted:

You keep getting loot boxes, but not at every level up. According to the official FAQ (which answers pretty much every question you'd have about those things) you'll receive 45 free boxes from levelling up from 1-100.

From the FAQ it sounds like you will only ever get 45 free lootboxes, and once you're max level you'll never get any more. You keep getting character unlock points after the level pack though, so I guess it's cool.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

uh oh pancho! posted:

devotion w. turbocharger would be cool if there were any energy ammo anywhere

The devotion is the worst non-pistol gun in the game.
Takes forever to spin up unless you find a rare golden mod, and even then you'll probably only have one or two reloads worth of ammo total.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I am the baddy who says in every single fight "i'm gonna zipline behind this enemy squad and hit them in the back with a shotgun while my teammates are shooting them from the front", then misses every shot and dies nowhere near my team.

Pathfinder is real fun though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

panda clue posted:

I'm definitely getting Caustic first since Mirage's ult seems almost entirely useless (at least once people know what it does).

It just makes you invisible so you can run away and get out of danger. It's basically wraith's wraith walk thing but on a longer cooldown and without a blue trail showing where you went.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

acumen posted:

How do I do any of this if I always die 1v1 or 3v3

Or what if I'm doing this and still dying 1v1 or 3v3

Play lots and lots of videogames and hope to eventually get better at clicking the enemy mans
At least I think that's the trick. I haven't made that jump yet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Steve2911 posted:

I think a lot of it depends on how it handles seasons and how the game changes over time.

As indifferent as I am to Fortnite (and AL is just a more well made game in pretty much every respect), it really does nail that side of things.

e: Also, what's the criteria for which player is 'champion'? Is it whoever most recently won a match? Got the most kills? I just played a game where the champion was level one - so presumably hadn't done anything but fail and die in a single match.

I played a game where the champion was a level 1 guy with 0 kills or games played, and then both of his non-champion teammates were level 20 with something-hundred kills

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jimbot posted:

Is the Prowler supposed to shoot straight up after one burst? The recoil on this gun is the jokey hyperbole I use when talking about guns with ridiculously high recoil. How can you even use this weapon?

Edit: Also how often should I expect to be a one-man squad? I played twice so far and both times I was by myself.

You can find gun mods that reduce recoil as loot. Maybe the prowler's designed around needing one of those.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hawaiian Shirt Gibraltar is indeed the best skin

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tei posted:

I would main Caustic if teams where made of 4 or more players, but with 3 can't justify it.

yea, this is good advice.

My only problem with caustic is none of his powers have stopping power. If somebody is decided to murder you, he will walk trough all your gass cans and do it. The traps help your team, and weak enemies, give intel, but don't kill or stop good enemy players. It make me wish the nox gass had another feature that helped the team.

Eh, none of the characters' non-ult abilities have stopping power. That's what yer guns are for.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

See, this is the thing I really really like about this game. In PUBG, there's a clear gun hierarchy, and what you pick is almost always limited by what you're able to find, but the ideal end-of-game build was almost always the same.

This game is totally different in that what weapons you want are the ones that fit how you want to play. Snipers are no longer the endgame weapon because there's so many movement options that its possible to close almost any gap. Now, the more traditional sniper rifles are still a good long-range option, but you'll really struggle if someone's moving around like crazy, which is almost all the time. The semi-autos can help alleviate this but you give up your one-hit-one-kill. The machine guns I really like because they have a huge ammo reserve which helps you fire for a long time which is great for shooting at multiple opponents, and they've got solid range. The assault rifles might be my least favorite just because they lack any sort of situational power that the other weapons can give you, but they're the reliable mid-range gun that sometimes people use instead of snipers, and the ACOG sights in this game have great zoom and visibility. SMGs are unfortunately overall the worst weapon class, they deal very low damage compared to the shotguns, which are loving crazy at close-range combat. So, you want to look at your character and decide what playstyle you want to approach the game with, then pick accordingly. For example, I really like running at people, so I pick Pathfinder and get a shotgun and dead-sprint at every enemy.

The one x-factor in this whole equation is the Wingman, which is loving busted and just the best gun in the game it does a bazillion damage and bullets move so fast it's basically hitscan and they travel about as far as AR bullets and you should literally always have this gun in your inventory until they nerf it.

The R99 SMG does damage crazy fast.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Bad guns: the two light pistols, mozambique, alternator, maybe prowler??, devotion if you aren't lucky enough to have the gold mod and a good supply of energy ammo
That's it everything else is good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And it's totally fine for the pistols to be bad guns that are only useful in minute or two after dropping. I'm pretty sure it's intentional even. In a game with randomized loot it makes sense to have the dynamic of dropping, finding a gun that's slightly better than fists, and going to kill your unarmed neighbors before they get something better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Lootboxes are pretty bad but a f2p game with cosmetic-only lootboxes is just about the best way to do them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xarbala posted:

wraith has a knife??

There's an ultra rare "heirloom" result from loot crates that will give you a set of 3 fixed rewards. A unique skin for wraith, a unique knife cosmetic that replaces her normal melee punch, and some third thing I forget. (The FAQ says you're guaranteed to get it if you go 500 lootcrates without one.)
They say they'll add more later but Wraith is the only legend with one right now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

psyman posted:

omg what is it with PC gamers using fisheye lens view, it’s in almost every clip now.

how can you play like that, I mean surely in 2019 there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

It's not about graphics card power, it's about math. You can do a flat projection for anything up to 179.99999 degrees FOV but the wider it gets the more zoomed-out and impossible-to-see the actual important stuff in the middle gets.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Health drone is the weakest / least useful ability in the game but lifeline is still strong because revive shields and care packages are cool and good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ultimate: Lasts about 35 seconds (I believe, I have to check, I know it's more than 30 seconds), and basically gives you (and ONLY you) increased movement speed and constant threat-scope. This doesn't let you see through walls - it just highlights all enemies that you can currently see bright red. So it does not work thorough walls (although it does work through smoke). You also get very bright red, obvious footprints and more obvious clues.

It sounds like it's limited in use but it's actually absolutely amazing when doing an aggressive push. Doubly so if either side has smoke out, you're the invisible non-gender-specific royalty of the smoke.

The ultimate is stronger than just constant thread-scope. It works at any range unlike the 1x threat scope which doesn't highlight stuff that's too far away, and it makes the rest of the screen grey so the glowing-red enemies stand out even more.
Plus, more importantly, it gives every enemy a glowing red footprint trail that's probably about 10-15 feet long so you can see where they went around corners and stuff even if they're not directly visible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dudeness posted:

So it's like a tournament to see who can get the most murders in random games?

Isn't that more of a fishing derby?

They probably wanted to do a 'real' tournament but couldn't add support for it to the matchmaking servers in time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Verranicus posted:

I wish people wouldn't always go to the supply ship. I hate it. Not just the stupid chaos of it, but it's buggy as hell. If you die there and someone tries to rez you, you hover mid air then fall. If you die up there you can get stuck there unable to be retrieved by teammates. I hate it.

I rezzed a buddy while the ship was moving downwards to land at its final position and we both somehow ended up stuck hovering midair just below the stationary ship. We ended up just disconnecting from the game since we couldn't unstick ourselves.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 13, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

aaaaa give me my mirage

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Extremely easy solution: if someone disconnects, they instantly drop dead instead of just magically disappearing. Teammates can pick up the dead guy's banner, but can't respawn him unless he reconnects.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
love 2 crash to desktop

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Verranicus posted:

Suggestions on guns for people with the aim of an 80 year old?

Shotguns are great
Spitfire has a huge mag so it's great for spraying in an enemy's general direction.
Sniper rifles can be actually pretty good and not too aim-dependent for taking a potshot or two at a guy who doesn't notice you/isn't moving before you run in with another gun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PantsBandit posted:

I know that, statistically speaking, there must be randos out there with two brain cells to rub together, but I have been unable to find them. This is what every game with one or more randos always looks like

me on the left + right

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ciaphas posted:

any thoughts on ~legends~ that best, ah, work with our particular habits? my best luck has been either being bloodhound and relying on their ult, or being bangalore and getting a threat scope
Pick pathfinder and use grapple hooks and ziplines to fly into every fight at mach speed. Especially if you go in behind the enemy while they're distracted by your teammates shooting from the front.

Wraith and to a lesser degree Mirage are also good for being overaggressive because they have "oh gently caress this isn't going well get me out of here alive" buttons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is why on my main, Bloodhound, the only stat I display is "traps scanned" because it's so hilariously pointless.

Does that literally only count Caustic barrels or is there some other kind of trap in the game that I haven't seen yet?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Elysiume posted:

That said, the timing window may be narrow enough for the Peacekeeper exploit that it’s not possible without cheating; I don’t know how it works.

The first video of the exploit that came out was a guy just doing it regular-style by actually pushing buttons on his keyboard. It wasn't quite as fast, though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

New Wave Jose posted:

2 quick questions/info I need confirming:

1- At what lvl you have enough in-game currency to get one of the locked characters?

2- You can only place a portal at your feet as Wraith? As in you can't send you portal somewhere in you line of sight?

1. It's exactly level 23.

2. Always at your feet, but it actually increases your walk speed by a pretty high amount while you're running to place the second one. Without ziplines involved, Wraith placing a portal is the fastest character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

sunken fleet posted:

so i finally hit 23 and unlocked mirage and I have to ask... in what possible circumstance do you use his ult?

Use it to run in invisible-ish to start a fight when the enemy doesn't know you're there yet.
You have to pop it around a corner so they don't see your extremely obvious and bad standing-still decoys though.