Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Assuming that I'm a steaming pile of hot & filthy garbage, where would be the best place to find PC players who group up and help me to not suck? My usual crew have drifted on to other games, leaving me alone and pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I think you should be able to spend 1k red coins to have the respawn ship blast "Fortunate Son" when you're respawned.

1k? I'd pay 50k easy.

edit: Or "Thunderstruck"

edit2: Wasn't it Metal Gear Solid 5 that allowed you to obnoxiously blare Vietnam-era music from your helicopter as you roared into battle? Surely Respawn can just copy that system as-is! Each songtrack is 50000 apexbucks!

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 8, 2019

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

On the one hand, legendary R99 skin.

On the other hand, those stupid tubes.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Super hot take that I saw a clip of is to play Wraith, then pop your ult and rush toward the green ring. Whenever you feel the heat, stack your active on top of that for an E.Z. win. It's the only win I've gotten, and other than pathfinder, I don't know how others pull it off, although I've seen a few weird ones, including a loving CRYPTO win.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Emergency area heal; improved mirage ults (decoys actually do poo poo); loot rains out from you in a radius

There's probably more that I haven't found yet.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Me, but I only play for maybe 1-2 hours a day so I'm far from good.

Me as well. I even use a mic! I'm always afk in the discord, or you can just friend me directly on Origin, ETankSkank

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

S/F Prowler + Choked Peacekeeper. I wanna see the FEAR IN THEIR EYES.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

but HOT drat REVENANT IS A BEAST NOW

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Had a hella sweet bug where i was downed mid-shot with the peacekeeper (as a Wattson, but I don't think anyone tripped my fence, so this is different than the Mirage bug). The game helpfully let me fire off the other 4 shots, downing their squad and giving my bros time to pick me back up.

I want to pretend that the bug is fair compensation for legshots doing body damage to my gal.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Bruisers are better than anything other than snipers (maybe also a Hemlock).

I like the 3x on my Snipers or the 4/8x.

Digital Threat scopes are great on whatever they’ll fit on.

For example, I hate a 3x on a Havoc unless I have a Select Fire which can make it snipey, so maybe I’d grab it depending on how the game was going, but I’d probably want a 2x on by preference.

Well, my aim is poo poo, but at least my preference in scopes is decent (I literally roll the exact same scope loadout). 1x Bruisers (or Digi) on SMGs, 2x on ARs, 3x on Havoc if its got S/F.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah, you don't need a personal breakdown of characters. If you're a scrub, you're going to play whichever personality you like or whichever loadout fits your gamestyle. If you're a pro, you're already locked into Wraith/Gibby/Wattson/Path.

Maybe link the big ones (goon discord, Apex Legends' main page, the twitter page, the wiki [nice for previewing skins], and/or the reddit) and be done with it.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

My favourite accident was when I got a very-early game noscope headshot with the Longbow against an escaping Octane. I *know* I was more suprised than the Octane.

More importantly, I wanted to point out a curious sale on Origin PC: For reasons unbeknownst to me, the Bloodhound/Lifeline double pack is superdiscount cheap. The skins are meh imo, but if you'll notice the price, this brings the bundle price BELOW what it costs for 2000 Apex Coins, which makes this the cheapest way to get coins, never minding the extra fluff.

edit: If you have that Origin Premium thing, I guess it might be even cheaper? I don't know?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 10, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Petition to have

be in the OP.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

This season is the first that I've seen bluescreening as well, as well as slowdown after marathon sessions. I have a Nvidia GTX 1080, and I've found that either a restart (or, more conveniently, force-resetting the GPU drivers) has drastically cut down on errors.

Obviously this sort of end-user workaround is unacceptable, but it works for me. It's far better than Season 2 & Season 3, where my GPU error involved a computer hardlock during character select roughly 10% of the time.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Weekly challenges, sure, but not dailies, which are potentially 10,000 xp a day. Plus, the instant +1 BP levels in the weekly are gold, but if you try to crank out 30 levels in one week, you'll quickly hit that 54,000 xp grind like a brick wall. Even leveling is theoretically the lowest time commitment overall with the daily bonuses (10,000 challenges, 3,000 xp treasure pack, 500 xp first kill all add up).

That said, I took huge hiatuses in both S3+S4 and easily would have been level 125 if the leveling kept going.

edit: Another thing to recognize is that you don't have to hit level 110 for the pass to be "worth it". The battlepass is cost-neutral at level 98. Which means that even the left pane is a tad over-aggressive if you're simply concerned with "getting your monies worth."

edit2: It's also really easy to overlevel without poopsocking the gently caress out of it. I play daily sure, but not like hardcore daily, and I'm at BP 24 already. I'm sure even without paying for it, if you've played for two weeks, you're probably "on track" as far as the left pane goes.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 24, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

runchild posted:

You also progress a little faster as the season goes on, since some of the rewards are XP Boosts. They stack within your party, too, so playing with a friend will make it easier.

Yeah, the "playing in a squad" bonus is legit, as is the top 5 teams bonus. I know a lot has changed minutely about the levelling since season 1, but I remember this guide saying it was about 300 in-game hours simply of "not dying" to get to level 110. That's 300 hours of sitting in a corner. It does not include bonuses (daily challenges, actually shooting your gun, playing with a friend, winning).

In other news, the Level Guide was off by a week. This version is actually even more generous:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

The treasure chests are kind of fun too, but I don't like them putting in more stuff you miss out on if you don't play every day. Like I play a bunch because I enjoy it but don't want it to feel like a job.

But...it's even MORE generous than dailies. You have 100 days to play 45 chests, which is less than half engagement. And I'm pretty sure that unless you pay for boosting, you can't hit level 110 in less than 45 days, so it's entirely ancillary to playing the game or leveling your battle pass.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

The firing range has a few easter eggs. One is 3rd person mode, another activates rudimentary combat AI on the dummies.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Like Bangalore's smoke, he can hold 2 charges.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

runchild posted:

Things like the Mirage Voyage and Bloodhound’s Trials get added during mid-season events. Respawn calls these “Town Takeovers” since they replace an existing “town” in a way that reflects and builds on the personality of a legend. If you’ve only played this season then the ones you’ll be familiar with are Octane’s Gauntlet and Singh Labs.

Caustic's Town Takeover is them putting a green coat of paint on bunker.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

There are 85ish days left to collect 45 minus whatever you already have. You can't prebuy packs, and unless you're planning on taking a two month hiatus or vacation, it's a little early to start shelling out for them.

Also, for the PvE missions:

1) Friends can replay missions, so stack 3 people in your game
2) Octane, Mirage, and Bloodhound are incredibly OP, because they provide speed, radar and decoys.
3) There are gold weapons hiding in the missions. I heard of a gold Devotion in mission #1 and I found a gold Spitfire in mission #2.

Also, I'm not trying to throw shade on you, but the PvE waypoints were all clearly labeled on PC. Like, big glowing waypoint markers and prompts. How badly did you get lost?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

crypto in ranked

After waaay too long in Gold Ranked by playing with people that were poo poo, were toxic, or just didn't jive with my playstyle, I (Mirage) found a random Crypto pubbie and we rolled all the way to Plat IV together. Given the huge buff to Mirage this season, I was stunned that he meshed REALLY WELL with Crypto now, and not just for their hilarious quips.

A good Crypto can be used to instigate fights AND also be a scout on caves / access points you can't focus on, while Mirage's new buff means that people are aggressively shooting decoys. Between the two, even if you're in a pinch point with 3 egress paths, you can reliably have advance warning on two of them.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

repiv posted:

who has the biggest pile of useless red coins here i wonder

Useless?!? I got a sweet Prowler skin, the IRON MAN Mirage skin, and a couple other noteworthies! and even with my spending, i'm in the 300s still, so I know that I'll be beat.

I mean, come on here!

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 31, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Casutic *IS* cool and good, and no-one can change my mind. I appear to have a Legend per Season approach to life.

Season 1: Bangalore main
Season 2: Caustic main
Season 3: Gibraltar main
Season 4: Wattson main
Season 5: Mirage main

Season 4 and 5 have been runaway successes compared to all the others, but I'm already feeling the call of ....Revenant maybe? His double Silence is hella baller.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

mcbexx posted:

I assume everyone is just trying to inch their way to the magical threshold of box #500 for those sweet, sweet, guaranteed heirloom shards or hope they'll be lucky and pull some before the pity timer runs its course.

I only need one nice skin per legend and gun type (and most of the time I use Battlepass skins anyway), everything else is just filler garbage, basically.

:same:

At this point, I've mentally committed to buying whatever 1800-Gold custom skins come out for characters I love (ala custom wraith intro or custom bloodhound intro), so really the only thing I get stoked about from packs is crafting mats.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

When they made the change to max level (it went from max level = 100 to 500) I had about 50 loot boxes to open. There was not a single interesting item in any of them. It's not like I ever bought one before, I live in Belgium so loot boxes are greyed out in the shop, but man, I really don't understand why anyone would spend money on them.

Just in case you didn't know this, as far as Electronic Arts is concerned, anyone can set their place of residence to Belgium. This is a really quick setting and is reversible if you change your mind. This converts all the paid-for Apex packs in the Battle Pass into crafting materials, but still allows you to earn Apex packs through levels 1-500 and Loba's quest. It's not retroactive, so if you have unopened packs, you can't magically convert them into crafting mats after they are sitting on your lobby screen(I tried....)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...gion-to-belgium

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I use a XBone controller on PC and I sometimes even get kills and/or win :colbert:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Almighty father,
Please deliver
Each of us from
Xtremely bad teammates,

Let us pray
Every round
Grants us
Energy weapons
No Mozambiques,
Dome shields to guard us,
Shit, we're dropping Salvage

Don't know whether I want this on a TShirt or a tattoo.

Wait, I got it - custom embroidery on the Apex Legends official hoodie.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, it doesn't. You can get it out of packs.

But realistically a low-money player would earn one heirloom after a couple of years and reaching level 500 and finishing all the battle passes (and now the quests). I think that gives in the neighborhood of 500 packs.

A) That is exactly what EA wants you to think. If you "feel" that you're fairly close to 500 packs, you might buy another 5...or 10...or 20...to make it there.
B) Being level 500, linking Twitch Prime (for +5 packs), being level 110 in all five seasons AND finishing Loba's Quest yields...

...barely halfway to 500 (via https://mike.zarandona.com/coded/apex-packs-calc/ )

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Dragongem posted:

- Respawn beacons are fine, but it still involves getting your squad's banners which is tricky.

Crypto was born for A&D.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Honestly, and maybe this is just :tinfoil:, but I kind of feel like the Bloodhound and Lifeline sets are getting ready to be retired. They've retired other sets (Founder's, Starter's, Revenant's Season4 pack, maybe others I've forgotten), and online stores (amazon, walmart) have gone Out of Stock on digital copies of Bloodhound+Lifeline but not Octane+Pathy.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

FYI, if anyone has Twitch Prime, the summer Twitch exclusives are a pathfinder skin painted as a lifeguard (meh) and a RETRO 80s CASSETTE TAPE LOL OLDSCHOOL.

Nothing will every top the very first one, with 5 apex packs and a legendary Pathy paintjob :sigh:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Klaaz posted:

Got banned for 24 hours from competitive play because I said 'lol gently caress you guys' in chat because my teammates slowly looted my box without rezzing me while they could do so easily. gently caress this game. Did these assholes just report me or is there some kind of script going on scanning for foul language?

Wait, are you serious? Like, Ranked mode? I have definitely said and been on the receiving end of far worse things. Is this new?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

what in the good god damned

I'm back owed like....a thousand bans.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

repiv posted:

do we have any idea what these are for, around capital (maybe other places too?) there's these cubes with buttons on them

haven't seen one with an enabled button yet

Aren't those the ones that draw up the huge barricades? Once they're up, they're up.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Cefte posted:

Like quitting Kingdom of Loathing over NS13.

Callback out of motherfucking nowhere.

Hi Cefte :)

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I might be the only one that appreciates these, but if you hadn't seen the "calendar" from Reddit, it gives an idea of how quickly you need to progress through ranks. I don't know if it's just me, but this season seems shorter? Are they always 12 weeks?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I thought you did get shield regen on execute ragequits?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I'm not sure where this post was going and it turned into a bit rant

Ranked sucks because there's no incentive at points and you don't really care.

SBMM sucks but there really isn't a viable solution unless your playerbase is 1,000,000+ strong and your matchmaking is done by some hyperAI that juggles metrics of skill, consistency, server connection, and what you ate for breakfast that day.

I still think Ranked needs a "hook". Like, any game you get +150 RP in, you get crafting mats. Or at the end of a season, you get Apex Packs * Your Ranked Level. Something to convince people to both work hard and not give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Well, at least if they quit at character select, you shouldn't lose RP with the forgiveness, right? :thumbsup: