Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is pretty fun but the movement is definitely clunky. The running feels like it should be faster, but it isn’t. It’s definitely between PUBG and Blackout in terms of movement.

The ammo capacities drive me nuts. A lot of the SMGs are 15 or 18 rounds and then can be extended to 28 with the rarest extended mag, which seems like a very strange design choice. The pistols all feel useless and you will often get punched to death in the early game scrambles.

I’m not a huge fan of the inventory system, which also feels like it has most of the worst parts of PUBG’s and Blackout’s systems with the exception that swapping guns will attach any compatible attachments to the gun you’re picking up. When you’re inventory is full, and you hold the pick up button while looking at an item, it will give you a swap menu. However, in order to swap you have to right click what you want to drop, dropping like 12 ammo or one shield cell at a time until that space frees up, then I forget if you click the empty space or the item on the left side but it’s strange as hell that a swap interface isn’t a one click thing but usually multiple right clicks and then another left click in a spot you’re not expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh for sure, there is tons of people that want a different kind of experience. Its why PUBG isn't dead yet. But don't front, its the biggest game in the world for a reason.

E: also I just installed the game and want to play it. I don't understand the hardcore anger for fortnite. Its still pretty fun even though I'm not that into it.

It’s the biggest game because it’s free and on every platform

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

panda clue posted:

Well, yea, because Activision refuses to move towards a games as a service model and keep relying on box sales to drive their profits. Blackout was more or less designed to die with their update pipeline (or lack thereof).

Blackout has a lot of balance issues and when they patch they are heavy handed and drastic. It’s still very good but the developers don’t seem to be sure what they want, since it was probably a late addition. Honestly the micro transaction stuff means nothing to me and I prefer to not have glowing neon skins but a leaderboard and rankings would be nice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

We also do Apex in the PUBG/Blackout Discord too.

https://discord.gg/JuWK5HN

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Pistols are there to give you an upper hand against punchers but have to be used in conjunction with punching as well. The p2020 and re45 do 10 per shot to the body, with no shields, enemies have 100 health and up to 200 with shields. So let that sink in a bit. Punching does 30.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Spacedad posted:

Your teammates probably killed the last person just before your kill animation concluded and you actually assist-downed someone you thought you got down credit on.

(Or the game got confused and poo poo the bed on kill credit.)

Did you finish the squad entirely? If they got respawned at the station, it removes it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, as useful as it is, it's just a bit bland. Other ults can seriously swing a fight if done right, while that one is pretty indirect in its effects and not super satisfying to use. I'd rather have something like, I dunno, a supercharged healbot that actively follows your team around and tops up both health and shields for half a minute or something.

Gear supremacy is much more important than you think.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Perestroika posted:

I'm not saying it's not important or useful, I'm saying in terms of user experience it's not very interesting to use.

Shooting people with guns is pretty interesting to me, man.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

No one cares about Titanfall 2, Apex is now a stronger franchise than it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I like Bangalore and want to get better at playing as her. Please advise on best use of smoke--use cases I've observed

- obscuring yourselves during a rez
- ruining your teammates aim
- ???

I still want to get good at Caustic too but I think that might be a lost cause

On PC, a lot of people will rush you if they down someone in your squad and then you smoke, because it tells them that only one guy will be able to fight at that time and you won't be able to shoot them as they approach. I'd probably advise against it, but I also advise against most combat revives and think you should learn to double down and win that 2v3.

If you get a digital threat scope (the gold ones) you can smoke your enemy and shoot them in the smoke. Or if you're teamed up with the hunter dude, same thing.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 10, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Q is great for giving your position away.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hey look at these idiots trying to win games.

DreadCthulhu posted:

So, what's the strategy when it comes to choosing which weapons to keep as you find more and more of them, ignoring the quality level? Is it generally a good idea to have two weapons that use different types of ammo?

This is all very situational, based on what ammo mods and guns are available. For example the Wingman is great economy gun, but I hate using it because it gives me anxiety. Peacekeeper is also a great economy gun, as it needs little in the way of mods. But if I can find 400 heavy ammo and mags to have 55 or 60 rounds I’ll take a spitfire.

In short, play the game and find out what works for you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Weapon meta is actually good and deeper than you guys think but it also helps immensely if you can aim well. I’m right on that cusp and trying to train myself on the weapons I initially thought were bad, but the weapons are balanced around having all mods and high skill tier.

For example the prowler with select fire is disgusting, just not in my hands quite yet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You get plenty of EXP for kills and wins, so maybe just get more kills and wins. But also worry less about digital spray paint.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

What else can we complain about in a free game? Why is the zone a circle??? Circles are so played out in 2019. Can't believe they used a circle.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

widespread posted:

You mean Ring of Elysium. Radical Heights had circle.

No, Radical Heights had squares. Ring of Elysium is kind of like constellations between random points.

Imagined posted:

Apparently Respawn tried a "bazillian" ways to get Titans into the game but was never happy with the balance. I would love to try a mode, though, where everyone has a Titan gauge that fills at the same speed no matter what they do, i.e. doesn't fill faster for players who get more kills or who find certain pickups, etc. Just at the 15 minute mark, or whatever, everyone still alive can summon a Titan. Titan would be based on which Legend you were playing. I don't see how if everyone got a Titan at the exact time in the late match it would be inherently unbalanced. Maybe they tried that, and it led to a situation where people would try to hide out and not engage until Titan-summoning time? I would love it if they gave an interview eventually where they talked about various things they tried and what they discovered.

Think about Tribes and Starsiege. Tribes was a bigger, better francise and all they had to do was get rid of the robots. That is what is happening here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

That feeling when you're caustic and throw a barrel outside the door, go into a house and close the door then realise you've now blocked the door from the outside and cant get out (luckily you can shoot your own barrels but it was a doh moment)

You can also just break the door.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Spacedad posted:

Has anyone else earned enough legends tokens yet to unlock both of them for free? Because this sounds awful.

Hi hello 👋

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

who's more fun to unlock first, Caustic or Mirage?

Caustic's running animation or height or whatever bugs me out and I feel like I'm going slow as poo poo. I'm mostly maining Mirage, since I tend to be the first guy into every fight and it relieves some of the pressure.

Doing well gives a lot more EXP so reflect on your mistakes and try to improve.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A lot of people try to loot until their kit is amazing. Those are the people who die without firing a shot from getting caught out in the open going from one loot area to another. Loot until you have mediocre stuff, then go the nearest gunshots to find two squads fighting and pick them off. You’ll be swimming in loot.

Always be looking and listening for steps and gunshots. A lot of times when we hear shots, we just say the direction out loud and take a guess what location they’re in based on the sound. This helps reinforce that there will be a possible squad coming from that direction at some point. When you approach a compound and you haven’t been noticed or fired upon, slow down to a walk. A lot of people run full speed inside while looting and it’s insanely loud. Even if they’re just holding a compound most of the time they can’t help themselves and keep running around.

Another strategy is to listen for Respawn ships. If it’s close, it means a weakened squad just revived. One of them won’t have armor and maybe not even a gun, sometimes two of them. Go after them, you have gear superiority.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

it's basically the Vector of this game

Nah, that’s the R99, topping off at 30 with the purple mag and a faster rate of fire. The prowler is probably more like the P90 but can have up to 35 rounds.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

the hero is absolutely figured out, she can heal or give items. why are you acting like lifeline is some complex puzzle that we just need to unravel?

The newest meta is to just start and stop revives over and over again to have an unbreakable shield up 90% of the time. Bet you didn't see that coming.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not 100% sure but i know some people who are varying flavors of hard-of-hearing and they say that the soundwork is kind of patchy at times, so in general it seems the game could do with a little bit of brushing up in that regard

I dunno sound works pretty drat well for me. They probably have something configured wrong if they're having problems hearing. I mean, this game even makes teammates footsteps quieter than enemies.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

When will the psychological exploitation end?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379682514

Had a 7 kill start, unfortunately one of our dudes lost his internet connection right after. Definitely not my best shooting especially with the iron sights, and I also made a bunch of mistakes like forgetting I switched to an Eva-8 instead of the Wingman and then having the holosights reversed which definitely made it harder.

But there are a few things I did right. Loot very quickly and move somewhere else. Swap vests instead to save time and consumables. And always always always be listening. I had a few interesting flanks and also resisted the urge to heal right away if the fight could be ended. But of course, we worked as a team and communicated. I definitely didn't deal full damage to all of those guys.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

lonter posted:

If you have the FOV turned up above 80 the sniper range ticks won't work properly, apparently.

https://gfycat.com/FarDeterminedGnatcatcher

So that’s what’s causing it...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You should just pay two people a salary to play with you, or make friends.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Lately, instead of running in guns blazing when I third party an ongoing firefight, only to get 180 one shot by a peacekeeper, I’ve just been throwing my grenades in from a respectable distance. Then clearing them out once one squad kills the other and they’re busy healing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Well this was a lovely way to lose. Anyone ever had this happen/know how to fix it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POS9m7yHII
Mantling didn't fix it and I couldn't slide. We ended up losing in second place while I trudged around at a quarter of a mile an hour.

Die, have a teammate grab your trading card and trade it in to the prize station.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Turns out Apex has horrible net code. RIP.

https://youtu.be/9PfFPW9a90w

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

dang. i need to bloodhound and r-99 more, maybe try that for a while instead of my usual peacekeeper/X loadout

Fingers is my bud and in my elitist discord group but you should notice that he did less than 100 damage to everyone he shot at in this video. He should be ADSing and popping heads.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hey guys, Gibralter is bottom tier. Get it?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

jabro posted:

I just got killed by someone on PS4 with 242 kills and 241 of them being headshots.

its not kills by headshots it just literal number of headshots. They are often pretty close for most players.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Here is a dumb twit. Or tweet. Whatever.

https://twitter.com/weedbabygoku420/status/1097660758610112519

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Mr.Citrus posted:

Most people having trouble in close are ADS'ing when they should hip fire. Hip fire is 100% as accurate as ads in this. Only benefit to ads is zoom.

That's not true at all.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Zipline robot seems to be the least useful character to me unless he's played by a one man army player like Ninja or that other dude in which case he's broken.

Pick the blandest, grey skin and watch people run by you without shooting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Verranicus posted:

or the samurai russian dude
There is a lot of assumption going on here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So are we ranking lootboxes above or below slavery on the really hosed up things list?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You should write to your local senator, because every state runs a lottery which is also obviously exploitative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

precision posted:

The best advice isn't "be aggressive" it's actually "never fight fair". Only engage squads that are fighting each other, etc. Works for me.

Do both. The sooner you are ready to fight, the easier it is to catch other squads unaware. So take your first fight early, even without optimal or nearly optimal gear. Then yeah, clean up other firefights when you can.