Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just started playing last week, after my coworker raved about the game nonstop. Seeing as I've only ever really played Overwatch, this game kicks the poo poo out of me! That said, it is GREAT for improving the far slower Overwatch mode I'm usually playing.

I loving love the trailers. That's actually what got me hooked. And even if I probably will never play him, Mirage is loving hilarious.
Any idea if there are 'low skill' goons around to play with? Not used to battle royale games, would like to play with people who don't leeroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
I solo queued into plat! Now I can happily be the worst player in platinum until the end of the split.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

I am going to waste so much time trying to bait enemy squads into that.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
urrrrgghh

landed on 7199 rank.

yay, got it the game after.

So, Prowler is a complete beast, eh? Went from solo-queue bouncing off the bottom of Plat IV to solo queue breaking Diamond in about five days of only Prowler and Scout. Still can't use the R99 for poo poo, but burst-fire Prowler totally clicked.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
quote is not edit.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What kind of joyless curmudgeon hates the train. When that first came out, someone in my group started getting pissed at me because I would say to go train every single drop.
The correct approach to the train in these last few hours is to stand at its prow like a ship's figurehead, dual spitfires in hand, continuously firing and screaming Mastadon lyrics.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

ErKeL posted:

Playing with randoms feels even worse than it was yesterday. Played two games so far and both times we've got to the 2nd squad after spending the entire game playing as duos because random no3 got downed once and immediately rage quit.
Is this ranked or trios? Because I literally can't remember the last time someone stuck around after dying in trios - it's why I pretty much only play ranked.

On another note, I really don't appreciate the fact that they've enforced a five second delay after completing a match where you have to watch the experience animation go up for the three thousandth time.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is an extremely weird season and has changed the meta massively. Right now I'm not really feeling it.
It's certainly the first time since I've started playing (start of season 3) that the game feels qualitatively different. I don't even dislike it, it's more that the cognitive load of all the changes (TTK so positioning, daily crafting changes, plus armor changes, plus all the energy weapon changes, plus all this new verticality in World's map) makes me disinclined to put in the effort of learning again. Like quitting Kingdom of Loathing over NS13.

Cefte fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 21, 2020

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Sputnik posted:

Callback out of motherfucking nowhere.

Hi Cefte :)
Very much a hail mary pass on the reference - and how lovely for it to be caught! Miss the good old times, Sputbot.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
Third time in a week I get kicked, then error wheel, leaf, cloud, and a leave penalty. Disaffected.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

dogstile posted:

I've played five games tonight. Every single game has been a hot drop where my pubs have immediately died before doing anything.

Send help.
I've started playing new Crypto simply to manage the start-of-season hotdroppers. Between his new drone powers and craftable respawn beacons, I'm farming a good four revives a game.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On a unrelated note, golden backpack on lifeline is really good.
It's a pity it disables drone rez in exchange for a boost to sniping damage in trios, though.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Is it just me or are most people in plat just bouncing off the bottom and have given up and just play it like unranked? My teammates have been Plat 4 easily 80%+ of the time
That and rats who have literally never fought, die in the first engagement, and get points only when that happens at the 4-squads-left point.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

CodfishCartographer posted:

So a bit of a meta game question here: is it a problem that teams can more or less sandbag by avoiding conflict for easy rank, even if they'll likely die during the last circle or two?
It's a problem in that it's a major contributor to gold4 / plat4 / diamond4 issues, because people who rat their way through the game don't improve their core mechanics, and then stagnate at the new grade when the degree of positioning needed to gain points suddenly exceeds their abilities. That said, it's pretty hard to rat your way to diamond, and it's probably the ~least bad~ implementation. What do you think would be the alterantives? No ramping points for team final position turns it into a deathmatch. Points for damage turns it into a snipefest. Points for unique engagements turns it into a snipefest with Caustic as King Rat.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Simone Magus posted:

I dunno the metrics, is Ranked popular? I never play it anymore because it's such a miserable time unless you have a squad. Pub teammates are absolutely awful in ranked about 9/10 times and since in ranked you have sweaty premade squads it matters a lot more that your teammates suck

So I mean my question is why play Ranked? Battle pass progress is the treadmill, not rank
If I play ranked, 90% of the time, if someone dies in the first five minutes, they stick around and I get to rez them. If I die, people tend to rez me.

If I play trios, 90% of the time, if someone dies in the first five minutes, they ragequit and the game becomes rather boring. If I die, people tend to loot my corpse while the fight is raging then facecheck a mastiff.

Having the additional incentive of ranked points seems to earn me a better class of pickup teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Wraith is at salvage and looks like they fled after taking ~20 damage to shields, they proceed to shield up and wait for the ring, by which point our banners are unrecoverable
Pretty much the way I climed out of plat was watching the movement of my pickup team more than the enemy. If they skeeve me out, I make sure to always be between players like that wraith and safety. Never a pincer movement, never assume they'll risk anything to engage with you. If they leg it, you're still ahead of them. It's not perfect, but it beats being left hanging, and they totally tell on themselves in the first few seconds of combat.