Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Game is fun but WHY are SMG mags 18 fuckin rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The more I play, the more I like it. All of the different heroes have their place, they're all quite different, and their abilities combo together in cool and interesting ways. The robot's zipline is by far the best though, it just owns being able to hole up somewhere safe and then make your swashbuckling escape as you zipline through a firefight. Game owns.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Philman posted:

There is lots to like in apex. they made a lot of QOL changes that are a big improvement from pubG. I had fun with it. i'll play more.

The lighting in this game doesn't feel right. it's like we've gone back a generation or something. did they just turn it off so they could ship on time?

It's based on an old-rear end engine is probably the reason.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roluth posted:

So, how fast can you reasonably expect to earn enough currency to buy a character?

I played for a few hours today and got to level 9 and am about 1/3rd of the way there.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The ping system is so simple and effective that it's a wonder nobody made it so easy to use before. It's amazing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
they had a million unique players within 8 hours of launch, which is insane seeing as they just dropped it completely out of nowhere.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wazzit posted:

Just a random thought, has there been any other Source engine game that has had a player match count of this size? CS:GO's BR is like what, 16 players?

No, it was never originally designed to handle maps of this size. Respawn must have done a ton of work on the engine to get it to work. Danger Zone is 18 players I think, and plays like janky rear end because Valve obviously just shat it out quickly as a cash grab.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wonder how long it sticks around at the top there. Presumably some of the top guys are still in their paid promo time, but I think guys like Summit and Shroud would probably be playing this anyway.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is one of those "Only play with friends games" to be sure.

Ehhh, I've actually found that the team drop system and the insanely good pinging system means that playing with pubbies is at least less terrible than in other BR games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Had zero idea you can melee doors and eventually destroy them

I was trying to execute someone as the robot and instead he did an awesome roundhouse kick animation to close a door.

If you can kill someone with that... :discourse:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PunkBoy posted:

Having a really good time with this. It's perfect for when I'm not in the mood for the PUBG grind. I was watching ChocoTaco play yesterday and he felt concerned that the game may go the way of Realm Royale where it was hot for a minute, but then people would lose interest. Hopefully Respawn will keep interest up with new Legends and stuff.

I don't think we need to worry quite as much because Hi-Rez are clowns and killed their own game, and I trust Respawn have a clear vision for their game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The ping system is seriously revolutionary and any multiplayer shooter without it going forward is gonna feel really bad in comparison. I'm totally fine playing with pubbies in this game because all it takes is a few clicks to co-ordinate and it's remarkably effective.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game is ridiculously good and has me addicted more than any game I can remember recently.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

My only gripe at the moment with this game is that armor is a bit too powerful. If I hit someone and a purple or gold number pops off them, it's a huuuge chore to take them out

Full HP and armor is 200hp (only difference between purple and gold is that gold gets a one-time self-revive) which, at long ranges, can take a little while to whittle down. The trick is to not give them time to heal - healing and restoring shields is loooong and fights can go on for a long time if you give them time to hunker down and heal up. You gotta stay aggressive and keep the pressure on. Obviously sniper battles mean you can't really do this, but I like the fact that you're not gonna get 1-hit killed from across the map by someone you never even saw.

^^: I'm EU PC Kru, add me on Origin. Same name as here.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is there a video demonstrating this, because I'm not quite sure what he means. Does he mean that I don't need to adjust/aim above target at range with sniper scopes?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
ten million holy moly

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hentai Jihadist posted:

isnt the innovative ping system just pretty much the left 4 dead ping?

There hasn't ever been a game with a system as intuitive and effective as this. Not one that I've ever played, anyway.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If they've hit 10 million players during the week, releasing it out of nowhere, this weekend is gonna probably be insane for them. The hype is spreading now, and the game has been glued to the top of Twitch since it released. Hope they got a few extra servers ready to go!

Also, I think it was a really ballsy move to do the release like they did. They've obviously spent a lot of time and money on developing this thing, and their last game was considered to be a bit of a flop, mostly because of the way it released (close to other big shooters). It could have gone so, so badly for them if the game wasn't as good as it is. That's gotta be some stress on whoever was responsible for making the decision.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

plester1 posted:

I thought you were talking about Titanfall: Assault for a second.

I loved Titanfall 2, but I always heard it didn't do that well. Is that wrong?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://gfycat.com/BountifulOffensiveChinesecrocodilelizard

holy poo poo I've been grappling all wrong, that is beautiful

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Spectating a dude called Casdg_ on PS4 who murdered me. He has 977 kills and is weirdly never missing his shots and he's wiped 5 squads entirely by himself. Either the man is god...

I'm pretty sure there's no way to get cheats like aimbots on consoles so he's probably just using a XIM

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else getting timeouts trying to connect to the game?

(edit: *scrolls up* ah, guess not. Usage kinks to work out, I guess)

They must be over a million concurrent right now, which would probably explain it. I get the impression from their tweets and posts that the success of the game has taken them by surprise a bit.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The R-301 is the only gun that I will take no matter what else I have. Excellent at almost all ranges, low recoil, fast enough ROF to shred people. Definitely my favourite.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

The peacekeeper seems weird. Its a high-damage shotgun that you'd better not miss with, but also charges up its shots for more long-range precision?

Also full auto Prowlers and the R### assault rifle are both fantastic.

Only with a rare attachment.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

We Know Catheters posted:

I installed this wanting to try it but you can't play solo so I uninstalled it

thanks for letting us know. what did you have for dinner?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have to imagine that the Respawn devs are currently making GBS threads themselves in delight at the astounding success of the game, while simultaneously running around spraying fire extinguishers into their server room before the whole place burns down (yes I know they use data centers all over the world, just let me have this funny mental image)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pathfinder owns because once you know where the next circles are going to be you can bunker up and start setting up your network of ziplines in advance. Once the bad guys show up, you can always maintain positional advantage and it makes a HUGE difference.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
115k people watching Shroud play this at the moment, and holy loving christ how on earth can he pull off the poo poo he does? It's utterly insane. The game is crazy good fun to watch the high level players though, constant action and sick plays.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
well drat, this thing's really eating Fortnite's lunch, huh?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Decided to buy the Founder's Pack because Respawn have made a fuckin excellent game here and I wanna support them :) It's rare that I spend money in F2P games, but totally happy to here.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

What's in it? I'm tempted to get that or shell out on some Destiny 2 shiz.

A few underwhelming skins for Wraith, Gibraltar and Mirage, an awesome skin for the Hemlok, 2000 coins, and some banner images.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm gonna keep doing it no matter what because it's fun, but is there a mechanical advantage to doing the execution animations on downed enemies over just cranking a couple shots into them?

Only if you have the legendary armor, AFAIK. If you do, executions restore your shields.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
posting to see new av

E: :hellyeah:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Ain't got a link to the artist do ya?

I shamelessly stole it from the official Twitter here: https://twitter.com/PlayApex

It looks like the only one so far :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

It could be worse.
They could be French.

I got a win with two Frenchies the other day. I asked if they knew how to speak English at the start of the game because my French is awful, and they were chattering away and I could barely understand. They just grunted at me, but then we started going deep, and by the time we won the three of us were chatting away and calling out poo poo and it felt really good :> then they disappeared into the aether because this game doesn't have a 'stick as team for next game button' which it really needs. The pubbie experience in this is far, far better than any other game I've ever played I think, because it gives you such good tools to communicate and work together.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Look at the color. Follow these rules:

Brown is garbage, Green and red are good. Both green snipers are good, Lime green non-sniper is not good, but not too bad. Other green guns are fine. if you get a red handgun looking thing, drop if for something else. You will never see yellow.

Uhhhh what the R301 and the scout are both very good weapons

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

I know the R301 and scout are fine, but the Flatline and the other snipers are still better.

I think the R301 is a top-tier weapon. The thing is a laser with some half decent attachments. A good mag is a neccesity though.

Looks like weapon balance is in a decent spot though, if we all have differing ideas about what's the best. :)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kikas posted:

Huh, so apparently after level 20 you stop getting Apex Packs every level? That's really not cool.

45 total from 1-100 i think.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been waiting a couple of minutes to start a game, is that normal? Was a lot quicker earlier.

It's been taking longer for me too. I figure it's just that there are a whole shitton of people playing and they're trying to keep the servers alive by funnelling people in slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I played around 6 or 7 games last night, they all went terribly. This morning I load up a quick one before I start work, one of my teammates DC's halfway through, but me and the other guy clutched out a win (on his first game!) Just keep plugging at it, you'll pick it up soon enough. If people are bitching at you, just mute mics and play as best you can. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun, and if it's not, maybe it's just not your kinda game. No shame in accepting that and finding a game you do like.

I think the biggest thing you can do to improve at this game, aside from obviously 'get better at aiming' is to play aggressive. If you hear some footsteps or gunshots, GO TOWARDS THEM. Take the initiative, take the fight to them, and you'll be surprised at how often you come out on top. TTK is relatively high in this game, so while you can sit there and wait for them to come to you, you'll only get a small opportunity to get a few shots off before they hide, heal up, and then they know exactly where you are.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 11, 2019