Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Played a match as Wraith: had no idea what to do or what my powers were. If I pressed "q" everything turned purple for a few seconds.

Liked the movement, but it needs wallrunning and double-jump. The map design seems prepped for it, I'm thinking a punch of rear end in a top hat influencers in the beta test talked them out of it. :shrug:

Anywho, seems fun, but I think I'll need to team up with some goons for me to find this really enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I suck at this game. :lol:

I've never played a BR before, so having to find my weapons and loadout is bizarre. I was the robot this time, so at least the grappling hook and zipline made sense. I haven't killed anyone yet, but I've shot a few dudes. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
A couple of questions:

Are there two "teams," or is everyone not on my squad an enemy?

Is there some trick to finding a loadout? I feel like Jude Law at the beginning of Enemy at the Gates for the first round...

Is wraith's ability just invincibility?

Where is the goon discord for this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

s.i.r.e. posted:

Everyone except your squad is hostile, have you ever played a BR before?

Nope. I've literally spent most of my time following my squad and wondering when we were going to hook up with the rest of the team. :downsgun:

plester1 posted:

Everyone not on your squad is your enemy, it's 3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3.

Finding a loadout is mostly scrambling for guns, then fighting over care packages and stealing the guns off anybody you murder.

Wraith disappears for a short time, her ability is really cool but short. It's really good in concert with smoke from Bangalore. Her ult forms a portal that her teammates can use.

Discord link from the first page: https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Okay...it makes sense now. :shobon:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

precision posted:

Wow the Spitfire is obscenely good

I keep trying to find one, it was my favorite gun in TF1/2. My ideal loadout right now is EVA-8 and Spitfire.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I've been playing Gibraltar and I still haven't killed anyone but at least I understand the shield and mortar strike, plus a shield when aiming is nice. Revived a few people, but still suck. Need to devote a few hours to this on my day off and really get into some matches, I've only been able to do 1 or 2 at a time so far...
:blastu:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Roluth posted:

~15-20 hours to unlock a character basically screams "lifestyle game" at me. That timeframe just seems unreasonable for non-poopsockers. To clarify I'm at "interesting, but this is DEFINATELY in lieu of Titanfall 3 and doesn't really address my issues with BR". I guess I'll just have to wait and see what exactly that pass entails and how much a character costs in real $ before I give a final decision.

:allears:
source ur quotes

-OR-

You sweet, summer child. If 15-20 hours is a :turianass: lifestyle game :turianass: for :turianass: poopsockers :turianass: I literally can’t even. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

explosivo posted:

I will never understand people's need to tell someone "You're so loving bad" at the end of a round when it clearly showed before starting to the squad that I had never played this game before. :sigh:

I've been really lucky in that no one has (yet) called out my obvious and glaring incompetence. Ending each match with the following may help:

quote:

gg
i suck lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting? I am just wandering around like it's Skyrim, going through chests and grabbing loot; but by the time we make contact everyone else is rocking purple armor and endgame weapons and I'm still looking for a helmet and second gun.
:confused:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I was being glib, I always follow the squad and move as fast as possible (gotta go fast), and we usually land in a blue or purple tier loot spot...I just suck at finding things?

Most times we drop near the edge of the first ring and loot two or three spots before finding enemies. :shrug:

One round we made it to the smallest ring with 3 squads left and I actually had good stuff but someone OHK'd me with a kraber or something. :sigh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol:

Last night my teammates dropped before the drop so I was on a 1-man team. Found some really great stuff, but got killed when I was pinched between two squads trying to kill each other. :derp:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
What a goof that this secret launch for a game nobody expected has had blowout numbers and hardly any issues.

...and it’s from a publisher famous for Day 1 multiplayer fiascos.

I still suck, but I watched a top tips video and at least understand how to loot, now...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The ping system works so well because years of games spoonfeeding players objective markers mean they will almost always run towards whatever waypoint pops up...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bardeh posted:

I loved Titanfall 2, but I always heard it didn't do that well. Is that wrong?

It sold ~4M units, so it definitely made >$100M, but EA expected at least 9M units sold so it was a :turianass: flop. :turianass:

Ciaphas posted:

The blue lit area at the start of matches is higher quality loot, yes? Worth just launching there with the scrum and living/dying in the first five seconds if I end up jumpmaster? I've always just relinquished it

Pffffft. It’s the one time I can do something useful: I never give up JM!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
DMR is the best rifle in the game. My time in TF1 makes me partial to the EVA-8 shotty, but I just love the Spitfire like I’m going to get to rodeo a titan and blast it’s brains out!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ciaphas posted:

Can't seem to remember which guns are which from training very well :saddowns:

Pro-tip since we've been on gunchat: you can redo the training and just gently caress around in the first area, which is a giant armory/range!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

berenzen posted:

I'd like them to add a regular gun/training range rather than just the tutorial eventually. I'd like to be able to gently caress around with character abilities and figure it out without having to do it cold mid-match.

Yeah, I was really disappointed you are ~always~ the medic in training. :sigh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Firstborn posted:

How awful would it be to use a controller on PC? The movement feels so much more intuitive on a dual shock 4, but the aim I'm worried about.

Cinara posted:

If you want to use a controller play on console or you're not gonna have a fun time. The aim difference is massive and you're putting yourself on a very uneven playing field.

That being said, most of us aren't going to use a >5kdps mouse with a 26" 180 so use whatever works best for ya. :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gunder posted:

Has anyone worked out what the little M means in the corner above the mini-map? I've never noticed it change from M.

Is it there on console, or is it the button prompt?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

panda clue posted:

I am upset that my representation in this game (white male) is not only locked behind a paywall, but is also narcissistic and toxic!

:golfclap:

Jack B Nimble posted:

How much damage can Gibraltar's arm shielf absorb?

I would also like to know this.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
wow game was so good that EA fired everyone and shut it down because they hate having their expectations subverted

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Game is finally clicking. Got a few Top 3s, killed a few dudes, did some revives.

Spitfire has been my favorite fun since TF1, so I’m glad that’s the poo poo here. I usually pair it with an EVA-8 or Peacekeeper!
:blastu:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mister Fister posted:

Does Gibraltor's and Bangalore's ults damage/kill teammates?

There is no team damage at all and I just wiped out an entire squad with Gib's ult. :getin:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

alf_pogs posted:

i was hoping they'd do somethin like the TF2 prestige system, where once you hit max level you can reset and grind back through the levels again - but by resetting you unlock cool armor or more weapon skins or something. levels in battle royale games don't hugely seem to matter, so it's weird to even have them

When you hit Gen50 you unlock a pilot character and your ult is a titan drop.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I hope they never add Titans to this game. A huge part of the Titan is how it transforms the map from buildings to run along to buildings to cover over. That wouldn’t really work in this map. Also the other part of Titans is calling one in and then doing mad wall runs so you’re right there when it lands.

Titanfall 3 will prob come out I reckon. This game will earn Respawn some good will.

I’d actually like to know who was responsible for the marketing. Being totally radio silent until release and paying top streamers money to stream the game seems like a really clever use of marketing dollars. Would like to know how much they spent in relation to the ordinary style of marketing.

I mean, gently caress FuckJerry, but FYRE proved that is an ~extremely~ effective marketing tactic...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It would have to be a different mode, entirely. Honestly, I doubt we'll see them in Apex Legends because, especially after TF2, the in-universe lore around pilots is such that they should be able to cut through every legend like butter. Hell, each legend is barely capable of doing ~one~ pilot skill...
:shrug:

Someone said they're probably going to use AL to hype up an eventual TF3, and that would be cool because we'd get a TF3! :woop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Regrettable posted:

You can damage yourself with your ult though.

You can (for Gib, at least) negate the ult damage with your tactical. If you're calling it in danger close, you're probably dead anyways, but only one way to find out if there's a From Beyond the Grave cheevo...
:jihad:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

psyman posted:

omg what is it with PC gamers using fisheye lens view, it’s in almost every clip now.

how can you play like that, I mean surely in 2019 there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

It's just like the ADAD while in inventory: functionally fisheye doesn't help anything but it gives the ~pro gamers~ an edge so everyone else does it.

Eventually there will be a minecraft INI that turns player models into purple hitboxes and all of the graphics will be reduced to zero to make it easier to see enemies.

Duck and Cover posted:

I was going to post my account here but that'd just clutter up the thread so I made a new thread for posting origin accounts. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881912

I know a couple have been posted in the first dozen pages, but is there an ~official~ goon discord for AL?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Game is good but the matchmaking needs some refining. I can't wait for a tiered system so I can be in the poo poo-leagues and stop getting pubbie squads with me and another dude who have combined single-digit kills and a TwitchPro poopsocker with 1384 kills...
:nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Protip: you can powerslide down stairs. :ssh:

Stanley Pain posted:

Don't take your losses so seriously.

I'm fine with losing because it's all I do. :c00lbert:

But it is demoralizing to get 6 matches in a row with some shroud-wannabe who spends the whole match pissing in my ear about how I need to ADS. :rolleye:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fun Times! posted:

How are you getting matched with the same guy over and over?
Since there's no penalty system in place yet, when I get matched with dickheads I just leave the game. A minute later I'm in a game with tolerable teammates. Only did it a few times so far, for the most part people seem chill.

Sorry, not literally the same guy, but in a Rick & Morty "they're all just a measurable pain in my rear end making them all the same person" way.

I don't like d/c'ing because I've had a couple of obvious duos ditch me during the drop and it sucks to get picked last at dodgeball. :shrug:

I just need to get on the discord and play with goons, but I usually only have time for a couple of matches and :effort:.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Ideal team is Bloodhound/Wraith, Gib/Bangalore, and Pathfinder/Pathfinder.

Always have Pathfinder. :colbert:

i suck lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

orange sky posted:

lmao I can't see my post, the forums are bugging out

I should be better at this posting thing

People have posted about it before in QCS: your second post jiggled it loose. :shrug:

orange sky posted:

Seriously Bose managed to make a 350$ headset that doesn't work with consoles (the microphone)

What the gently caress

Also of course the ps4 doesn't support any other Bluetooth headset other than Sony's

Louis Vuitton has some new headphones, too. :barf:

tweet my meat posted:

I love those games where I get 0 kills, but still pull my weight for the team with support abilities. Gibraltar's dome is honestly stronger than his ult.

The danger close dome rush where you toss your mortar strike marker out on the enemy and plop your dome down in the mortar fire to rush and finish them is the most satisfying thing to pull off.

I mercc'd a whole squad with his ult yesterday and it felt ~real~ good. :gizz:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nice! Can't wait to unlock buttbuster finisher...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/vincezampella/status/1095083377475051520?s=21

:vince:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Brother Entropy posted:

where are the good places to drop, i just listen to whoever pings a spot first when i'm jumpmaster

I have the best success when I wait for nearly everyone else to drop and then go as far away from them as possible. You'll probably be in a place with "lovely" loot, but by the time you hoof it to the first circle and make contact with another squad you will be fully geared up and probably shred them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Astrochicken posted:

past couple of games i've played the circles close in specifically on one house on high ground that some team wisely decided to hunker down in early. #learninghowtoBR

As someone who loses a lot: I feel like center-zone bunkering is the way to go. :eng99:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Scoss posted:

shroud does a lot more than purely reactive gun clicking, and I think a lot of people are missing this.

One thing any player can take away from shroud's stream is how he moves, both in and out of battle. He hauls rear end absolutely everywhere, frequently holsters and unholsters to gain sprint speed, slides at every possible opportunity, uses tactical abilities whenever possible to cover more ground while getting in or out of a situation.

He also zig-zag strafes, jumps, crouches, and generally moves in pretty unpredictable and non-linear ways during firefights. In longer distance engagements, he often uses cover to step out for a brief instant, squeeze off a shot, and strafe back into cover, repeating this cycle rapidly (one of the reasons the Wingman is so popular with high skill players I imagine is it works extremely well for this type of maneuver). He has good situational awareness in general about the map and when it is or isn't appropriate to abandon cover.

It doesn't take 1,000 hours of CSGO practice to get reasonably good with movement in this game and shroud pretty effectively demonstrates what is possible.

Don’t watch Twitch Streamers to learn how to game. Most of what they do is just showy fluff (ADAD) and shroud is moving like that in order to put himself into ~impossible~ situations after which he relies on his skill and teammates to extricate him for the :sicknasty: YouTube clips.

If you try to emulate him, you’ll just run face-first into every squad and never go past 5 minutes...

Seriously, the TTK and weapon accuracy in this game make zig-zagging pointless and moving quickly isn’t as important as having proper positioning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Dodging is fine. Spamming ADAD when you are in inventory or camping at a window is useless.

Actually, it’s worse than useless: it’s actively detrimental because the added movement makes you more noticeable, and therefore a larger target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bohemian Nights posted:

Remaining stationary is suicide in pretty much any BR game- you're just asking people to headshot you and gain a huge advantage before the fight even starts.

If they changed from their previous games, let me know, but in all likelihood you are just doubling the size of your hitbox by moving around like that.

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah spamming makes more sense in pubg where you can and will get one shot by some dude across the map with an AWM while you try to loot. Doesn't really seem to be the case here (thank god)

Yeah this.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Starting a fight 50-75 HP down is still bad, though.

True, but if they’re that far away that ADAD would help, you’ll have more than enough time to recharge shields prior to making contact with the squad. And if they’re CQB, then spamming ADAD is just going to slow your reaction time for actually dodging.

This is not PUBG and there are very few viable sniper rifles.