Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SSNeoman posted:

Yes, this exactly. This is why games like I Wanna Be The Guy are so popular. They understand good gameplay and conventions, they just willingly choose to do the opposite in the name of frustrating and punishing gameplay. IT's why they're hilariously effective. IWBTG is probably more postmodern than this loving game.

Someone in that Twitter thread dunking on the YIIK guy cited OFF as a better example of a postmodern RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
OFF is real good and free. Panzer also did a great LP of it.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
and it was somewhat recently retranslated to be more accurate to the original French! what a perfect excuse to (re)play it!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Miracle posted:

Man I remember seeing a trailer for this game and being excited. I checked out this LP before I bought it and I’ve never been more disappointed. I really liked the aesthetic I saw in the trailer (I like it when an artist makes a bold choice even when it doesn’t always work) and on paper this game is exactly my jam. Just such bungled execution. But it made me aware of an itch I didn’t know I needed to scratch.

Are there any other games similar to this (JRPG/Earthbound-y, not a fantasy setting) that don’t suck?

I guess Undertale and Night In The Woods are in similar territory and I do love them both. But basically, is there a YIIK that doesn’t suck?

Persona and the World Ends With You haven't been (quite) mentioned yet. I'd say TWEWY does exactly what YIIK set out to do and did it perfectly.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Dash Rendar posted:

I've heard good things about HOME, too.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dash Rendar posted:

Her LP was great. Voice of Dog just streamed it as well and uploaded it if you prefer VLPs.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'll throw out there that Cosmic Star Heroine by Zeboyd Games has more than a few nods to 16- and 32-bit-era JRPGs, though it doesn't focus on humour or that aspect of its story as such. It's more of an indie love letter to the likes of Phantasy Star (for its setting and cutscenes) and Chrono Trigger (for its combat and visuals). I would honestly recommend any of Zeboyd Games' output to fans of old JRPGs.

...Though I am now realizing that one of the characters in Cosmic Star Heroine looks almost exactly like Alex and is treated as sort of an annoyance in-universe too. Though the story doesn't focus on him so he isn't nearly as bad.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I hope you don't mean Dave. He is amazing and vital to any team I have being effective.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kchama posted:

Persona and the World Ends With You haven't been (quite) mentioned yet. I'd say TWEWY does exactly what YIIK set out to do and did it perfectly.

Personas 3-5 have the poppy art style (ESPECIALLY 5), surreal settings (at least in the dungeon half of the game), and feature lots of young people interacting youngly, so if you're into any of those aspects of YIIK they are covered MUCH better in those games. Though you'll have to sit through some dumb sex and gender bullshit because the head writer is pretty sexist.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Puppy Time posted:

Personas 3-5 have the poppy art style (ESPECIALLY 5), surreal settings (at least in the dungeon half of the game), and feature lots of young people interacting youngly, so if you're into any of those aspects of YIIK they are covered MUCH better in those games. Though you'll have to sit through some dumb sex and gender bullshit because the head writer is pretty sexist.

Seconding this. Also Persona's battle system is actually good. It has some long boss fights, but it isn't a trashfire like Yick.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

In comparison to YIIK, he's as progressive as it gets.

(Not hard.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kchama posted:

In comparison to YIIK, he's as progressive as it gets.

(Not hard.)

Honestly, I'd say it's a lateral move overall. Just significantly better written thus much, much more tolerable.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Here's the Toby Fox one. If there's a non-Ackk Soundcloud version, someone else might know of it.

I think you're probably going to need Rory a lot later on, given your Alex only has 20 HP to everyone else's 40+. Panda Barrier will keep you safe, but you can't have it up all the time against a boss. Dodge or die, really.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Cyouni posted:

Here's the Toby Fox one. If there's a non-Ackk Soundcloud version, someone else might know of it.

I think you're probably going to need Rory a lot later on, given your Alex only has 20 HP to everyone else's 40+. Panda Barrier will keep you safe, but you can't have it up all the time against a boss. Dodge or die, really.

It also ties Alex up for a turn, and he hits pretty hard now.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Cyouni posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Across all the different playthroughs of this game inculding my own, I have never seen anything hit hard enough to knockout Alex despite his low HP which is weirdly consistently low no matter what. That begs the question, what's the point of investing in HP if the gains are so small? If you sat through to the end of the NG+ video, Alex at level 53 had 60 HP and I pretty much invested at least a point per level.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 24, 2019

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Dr. Miracle posted:

Man I remember seeing a trailer for this game and being excited. I checked out this LP before I bought it and I’ve never been more disappointed. I really liked the aesthetic I saw in the trailer (I like it when an artist makes a bold choice even when it doesn’t always work) and on paper this game is exactly my jam. Just such bungled execution. But it made me aware of an itch I didn’t know I needed to scratch.

Are there any other games similar to this (JRPG/Earthbound-y, not a fantasy setting) that don’t suck?

I guess Undertale and Night In The Woods are in similar territory and I do love them both. But basically, is there a YIIK that doesn’t suck?

I'm sort of late on this and plenty of other games have already been mentioned, but if you want another heavily Earthbound-inspired indie RPG with a modern, suburban setting, minigame elements in combat, a variety of tools for solving puzzles outside of combat, and a plot that revolves around a group of people getting swept up into supernatural events, that would be Phantasmaburbia. It's not a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it when I played it a few years ago and it's basically all the better parts of YIIK executed well and none of the bad parts. You might better know its developer these days as the person who made Coin Crypt and Wandersong.

The Desura version died with Desura and the Steam remake sadly never materialized, but the standalone version and its demo still seem to exist: https://phantasmaburbia.com/

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
We talked a lot about characterization and its place in the plot in this episode, and while there are many unanswered questions resulting from that train of thought, there is one detail that I think ought to merit further discussion:

Thread, what do we think the anime Mahou Shoujo Haru no Shimai (Magical Girl Sisterhood of Spring for the dub fans) is about?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mahou Shoujo Haru no Shimai is a three part OVA that follows three sisters though their day-to-day lives as monster hunters. That's about as best as I can guess without spoiling a future cutscene. (I wish I knew enough Japanese to at least come up with fun name puns for the sisters.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 27, 2019

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Combat Lobster posted:

(I wish I knew enough Japanese to at least come up with fun name puns for the sisters.)

They're a bit basic, but let's say: Haru (hence the title), Sakura and Satsuki?

e: I also submit that the translated title could be Magical Girl Haru's Sisters due to a slight syntactical ambiguity in the original Japanese.

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 27, 2019

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Combat Lobster posted:

Mahou Shoujo Haru no Shimai is a three part OVA that follows three sisters though their day-to-day lives as monster hunters. That's about as best as I can guess without spoiling a future cutscene. (I wish I knew enough Japanese to at least come up with fun name puns for the sisters.)

Natsuki, Akiko, and Fuyumi, respectively with the powers of fire, wind, and ice.

Magical girl fiction is an interesting genre because it leans heavily on certain core tropes, and for a long time, there was a lot of interchangeability between the different series. Puella Magi Madoka Magica spurred a sort of "post-magical girl" wave where the objective was to twist those tropes in some way to make a darker story that was still identifiable as a magical girl series, but HaruShima (maybe 1999 is too early for abbreviations like that to make it to Western audiences) is clearly in the old school style, where the dark twist is just a season finale with one of the girls being taken over by evil forces, the other girls combining their powers to save her, and everything getting back to normal for Mahou Shoujo Haru no Shimai Neo to introduce some quantity of new girls and an enemy that just happens to be weak to the new power they provide.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I know you hate Rory (Sweet Baby Kittymouth) but I posit this to you:

His attack animation is the shortest in the game and you don't have to put any points in Alex's defense if you take him with you.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

GrandmaParty posted:

I know you hate Rory (Sweet Baby Kittymouth) but I posit this to you:

His attack animation is the shortest in the game and you don't have to put any points in Alex's defense if you take him with you.
Implying I'd ever put points in Alex's Defense anyway. :black101:

But this is true, and I'm honestly finding Chondra kind of underwhelming (mostly due to her action economy issues) so Rory might tag back in here soon.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gently caress this game for putting down Naoko Takeuchi, even in alternate history BS.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SystemLogoff posted:

gently caress this game for putting down Naoko Takeuchi, even in alternate history BS.

Okay, so I was never a Sailor Moon superfan or anything, but I grew unreasonably angry when reading that statement.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

diacorn posted:

But this is true, and I'm honestly finding Chondra kind of underwhelming (mostly due to her action economy issues) so Rory might tag back in here soon.

Chondra mostly excels at being a healer with her 'Spread Item' skill and nothing else. Though, that's based on old meta where you would have to depend on more than just Alex to steamroll enemies, so Rory could easier be moved up the tier list as all that's needed in battle is to insure Alex is alive and has PP.

To access UNLIMITED ANIME TIME ENERGY you have to turn on the game's 'assist mode' via the config menu. I don't blame you for not knowing this as most people I've seen never turned it on either, probably because assist mode doesn't tell you want it does until you turn it on.

So that rock that didn't have anything behind it actually did have something there in a earlier version of the game, a tutorial sign that told you how to use tools. You see, this dungeon was made as a demo for PAX 2015-2016ish and wasn't meant to be in the final game as evident by the lack of VO during cutscenes. (Well, no VO besides the Anime rant which was probably meant for a completely different area.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I actually like the song that plays during the first enemy fight in the caves this video. There's not much to like in this game and what there is doesn't connect well to much of anything else, but I'll take what I can get.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

diacorn posted:

I'm still not sure what the pink ketchup is supposed to be

Neither you nor GrandmaParty looked at the sign directly in front of it, but it says it's "pink toxic waste" which I guess is randomly spilled down there for some reason.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Polsy posted:

Neither you nor GrandmaParty looked at the sign directly in front of it, but it says it's "pink toxic waste" which I guess is randomly spilled down there for some reason.

I feel like the wig just got ripped from my head

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"After hearing a faint click the key snaps."

What is the game trying to say?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Solitair posted:

I actually like the song that plays during the first enemy fight in the caves this video. There's not much to like in this game and what there is doesn't connect well to much of anything else, but I'll take what I can get.
Yeah, I actually enjoyed it too. :) There is some good music in the game. I just wish it wasn't put into the context of battles, since I'm generally trying to finish those as quickly as possible and am usually focusing on the fight rather than the background track.

Polsy posted:

GrandmaParty posted:

I feel like the wig just got ripped from my head
The one time I don't read the sign. :ughh:

Combat Lobster posted:

Chondra mostly excels at being a healer with her 'Spread Item' skill and nothing else. Though, that's based on old meta where you would have to depend on more than just Alex to steamroll enemies, so Rory could easier be moved up the tier list as all that's needed in battle is to insure Alex is alive and has PP.

To access UNLIMITED ANIME TIME ENERGY you have to turn on the game's 'assist mode' via the config menu. I don't blame you for not knowing this as most people I've seen never turned it on either, probably because assist mode doesn't tell you want it does until you turn it on.
This was sort of my read on Chondra, since her damage doesn't seem super good so far. My guess is that since Chondra's supposed to be an item-spread healer/buffer, her abilities are very feast-or-famine based on which items you happen to have in the inventory and in what quantities. It's not unreasonable to want to have a healer pull from a finite resource when healing to avoid having them be always-on (and thus obviating any kind of real threat), but this game already has PP for that, and generally speaking, PP max values are so low in the game that characters are generally only able to do a few skills before exhaustion. To me, it's kind of like they just gave Chondra a second Achilles' heel for the hell of it.

Also, I guess that's a sensible place to put an assist mode. Honestly I don't know why it's there, though, as I'm finding most enemies do small enough damage numbers that I'm generally not concerned about them in a given fight (except when they're targeting Alex, whose HP seems to be exceptionally low no matter how he's built). Does the game's damage scaling ramp up later in such a way that Infinite Anime Energy becomes helpful later?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

diacorn posted:

This was sort of my read on Chondra, since her damage doesn't seem super good so far. My guess is that since Chondra's supposed to be an item-spread healer/buffer, her abilities are very feast-or-famine based on which items you happen to have in the inventory and in what quantities. It's not unreasonable to want to have a healer pull from a finite resource when healing to avoid having them be always-on (and thus obviating any kind of real threat), but this game already has PP for that, and generally speaking, PP max values are so low in the game that characters are generally only able to do a few skills before exhaustion. To me, it's kind of like they just gave Chondra a second Achilles' heel for the hell of it.

Naw, Spread item doesn't cost any pp to use and 1 healing item that heals for X = 4 heals that heal for X; so all you would need to do is buy a bunch of burgers and drinks and go to town.

diacorn posted:

Also, I guess that's a sensible place to put an assist mode. Honestly I don't know why it's there, though, as I'm finding most enemies do small enough damage numbers that I'm generally not concerned about them in a given fight (except when they're targeting Alex, whose HP seems to be exceptionally low no matter how he's built). Does the game's damage scaling ramp up later in such a way that Infinite Anime Energy becomes helpful later?

I don't think so, especially not at this point in the game. Once you master the mini-games, you don't really need Time Energy period.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 4, 2019

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Another note: this theoretical anime would also predate Rose of Versailles. It would also be in at least the top 40 anime series in terms of episode count, and assuming it wasn't a short animation type, be running for at least 7 years. Even Sailor Moon "only" hit 200 episodes. Another thing, for context, that only has 291 episodes: Dragonball Z.

What I'm saying is that this hypothetical anime would have been beyond popular, which I suppose is par for the course for things they add to the game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure the music in Mt. Town is specifically supposed to bring Pokemon to mind, for various reasons.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

SystemLogoff posted:

Cyouni posted:

Another note: this theoretical anime would also predate Rose of Versailles. It would also be in at least the top 40 anime series in terms of episode count, and assuming it wasn't a short animation type, be running for at least 7 years. Even Sailor Moon "only" hit 200 episodes. Another thing, for context, that only has 291 episodes: Dragonball Z.

What I'm saying is that this hypothetical anime would have been beyond popular, which I suppose is par for the course for things they add to the game.

Yeah, my own enthusiasm at the gleeful anime reference scene kind of caused me to miss these points, but right there we have another reason to believe that this game's 90s aesthetic is being poorly managed in relation to more contemporary references. The fact that Claudio wears a relatively high-quality shirt that contains untranslated text and imagery from a popular Japanese property might not be so strange now, but it would have stood out quite a bit more then, because even if the likes of Sailor Moon became proto-mainstream in the original 90's the culture of people becoming fans of the original property wasn't there to nearly the same recognizable extent.

Honestly, an acknowledgement of that disconnect might have made for some interesting looks at how YIIK's 1999 diverges from actual 1999, considering the other points of weirdness and anachronisms that seem to be cropping up from time to time. This won't happen though because these are mistakes or errors of omission, not deliberate a la the movie Walker or the like.

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure the music in Mt. Town is specifically supposed to bring Pokemon to mind, for various reasons.

Hadn't considered that. My earlier point was that the closest comparison I could make for the Flag Town theme was in the opening bassline to the theme of Onett.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Apropos of nothing I'm going to bring up this tweet in which an artist made modifications to the character designs to make them somewhat more suited to a 90's aesthetic. It is glorious:

https://twitter.com/DrowzeeDreamer/status/1125543303909273600?s=19

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

ModeWondershot posted:

Apropos of nothing I'm going to bring up this tweet in which an artist made modifications to the character designs to make them somewhat more suited to a 90's aesthetic. It is glorious:

https://twitter.com/DrowzeeDreamer/status/1125543303909273600?s=19

I’m gonna voice the same thoughts I did when these were posted in GrandmaParty’s discord.

I think Claudio and Chondra’s designs are too over the top, but I like changing Claudio’s jacket from red to blue and the Rubik’s Cube necklace.

Michael and Vella’s redesigns do nothing for me. If anything it makes Michael look even more generic and ignorable than he already was. Vella’s design was good as is and didn’t really need to be tweaked any, for what it’s worth.

Rory’s design though. :vince: Holy poo poo, it’s a shame that can’t be modded into the game because it’s sooooo good, especially the hair. It looks fantastic compared to the solid mass that’s virtually indistinguishable from a hoodie in his original design. The t-shirt is great too. Like the whole thing is so good I kind of want to steal it and use it for something of my own.

And hilariously it shows how little a poo poo they gave about Alex that they never even bothered to redesign his look at all :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I hate to be that guy, but "Wonderwall" came out in 1995. The relevance of Oasis, and britpop as a whole, was long gone by '03.

edit: I'm that guy who comments on Youtube videos before he finishes watching them.