Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Years of playing idle games makes me irked to see numbers of more than 5 or 6 digits not truncated in some way for ease of visibility and display.

Just be glad the numbers even work at all, older versions of the mod from 2-3 years ago had major integer overflow issues based in the original game's source that, among other things, cause your research to grind to a complete halt once you got far enough into space to roll over the science values. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Speaking of integer overflows, is it just me or does the mod seemingly start randomly deleting buildings when you built a lot of them? I've noticed this happening more and more starting from the renaissance era with one of my oldest cities having nearly every building in it that was built after the medieval era suddenly disappear without warning. This happened recently with my animal myths and enclosures as well but that may have been due to an unknown error from one of the atomic era techs.

edit: playing around a bit more it seems to just destroy buildings from any era for no reason while taking chunks out of my score at the same time. This mod is a trash fire.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 30, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

overmind2000 posted:

Speaking of integer overflows, is it just me or does the mod seemingly start randomly deleting buildings when you built a lot of them? I've noticed this happening more and more starting from the renaissance era with one of my oldest cities having nearly every building in it that was built after the medieval era suddenly disappear without warning. This happened recently with my animal myths as well but that may have been due to an unknown era with one of the techs.

This game has was too loving many buildings in it.

I haven't had that problem too much in this game, but it certainly does happen. It was much more noticeable on my last playthrough where every so often i'd have to just go and build large sections of things again.

Jossar's Playthrough – Nanotech 2

I forgot to mention this last time but there’s going to be a final exam near the end of the Era. I hope you’re all taking notes. Well, you don’t have to because I’m the one who’s going to be taking it, but you should at least be aware.

Told you this guy would be back. The first one (the Epsilon Assembler) represented an actual thing that exists in Windows application development and the building is supposed to be the evolution of that into some kind of AI-run materials factory with evolving code. The rest of these are just progressively working their way up the Greek alphabet with higher levels of programming intensity.

Oh, also plasma guns. Not really noticeable for anything.

The next level of Martian and Venusian extraction factories. You can also drag asteroids to Mars now for mining in addition to dragging them to Earth.

Mesh Networks seems like it should be about some kind of physical thing, but is actually about how increasing levels of technology make it easier to engage in entirely voluntary participation in society – hence the Nomad Skyscrapers where individual units can attach and detach from a building and Distributed Social Networks.

Polystate is the codification of this trend where a person is entirely free to pick and choose how they are to be governed by, for lack of a better word here, “subscribing” to a polity rather than having their status automatically determined by their geographical location. In case the name of the author sounds familiar, that’s because he’s the creator of the webcomic Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, although this is meant to be an independent thought experiment.

Megacorporations is your standard cyberpunk dystopian trope of “these corporations are so big that they are no longer subject to nation states or are functionally nationstates.” I was sorely tempted to switch to Corpor-Nation here, but we have such a nice society that I didn’t want to ruin it by going full Shadowrun.

The Moon gets to have wonders too, though it’s not a very impressive one even by weird Moon standards of resource amounts.

This is a real guy though I’m not sure he’s Dr. Norbert Mueller Jr. Are they saying he has a kid who finishes his research in another 18 years? Also I love that the general public apparently wants their autonomous cars racing down highways at several hundred mph.

We finally have access to a version of the Solar Sail Worker that we can produce more than one of at a time, admittedly after most of the heavy lifting is done for asteroids, but the Magsail Worker can still be put to use improving Cislunar cities and the edges of Mars.

We can also send our probes out to Transneptunian Space, but the only thing of interest is a wonder that can be built from the reward of landing on a Sednoid object.

Bacterium Engineering provides a large number of science buildings and the beginning of the Life series of National Wonders. I think these are supposed to tie into a planned system that isn’t 100% in the game yet, so as of right now they sort of just function as mediocre boosts to buildings in all your cities.

Hey y’know what? Why stop with creating bacterial life. Why not replicate organ tissue as well? We haven’t gotten to full organism replication yet, but you can still have designer purses whose textures perfectly replicate animals that went extinct millions of years ago.

The species database is pretty nice though.

So I learn at this point that you can connect the space-based Cislunar orbital trajectories with the Lunar based dirt trails. This connects the two networks. Sadly there’s nothing that lets you connect these to Earth despite my best efforts of trying and Inner Solar System routes don’t exist yet. But let’s see how much of existence we can connect together over the coming eras.

Acoustophoresis, or manipulating particles via sound, is a tech mostly notable for this additional module to the earth-based Asteroid Mines that I have to go out and get a bunch of rockets to create.

Planetary Manufacturing allows you to build settlers on-planet for Mars and Venus. I mean, it’s still faster to create them via the Cislunar city network, but it’s nice to have the option I guess.

Stopping the update here because it’s as even a break as we’re going to get. Tune in next time for bioethical decisions which are even more questionable in nature. Oh, and I guess Biopunk as well.

(Techs not mentioned: Weaponized Laser, Acoustic Weaponry, Computational Sociology, Ubiquitous Computing, Lunar Tourism, Hypersonic Flight, Invisibility, Affective Algorithms, Liquid Metals, Nanogenerators, Holographics)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jossar posted:

I haven't had that problem too much in this game, but it certainly does happen. It was much more noticeable on my last playthrough where every so often i'd have to just go and build large sections of things again.

I figured out why large amounts of buildings were suddenly gone for no reason, the game doesn't notify the player when nuclear meltdowns happen. Multiple Clean Nuclear Reactors died one after the other over the span of ten turns despite them having a 3 in 10,000 per turn to melt down.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

overmind2000 posted:

I figured out why large amounts of buildings were suddenly gone for no reason, the game doesn't notify the player when nuclear meltdowns happen. Multiple Clean Nuclear Reactors died one after the other over the span of ten turns despite them having a 3 in 10,000 per turn to melt down.

i feel like theres some social commentary to be made there honestly

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dr. Snark posted:

i feel like theres some social commentary to be made there honestly

I should have stuck with the clean coal plants

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

sincx posted:

How many updates are we from the end of the tech tree, would you estimate?

Just wondering how much crazier this is gonna get :allears:

Assuming a constant pace it's something like 20 updates until the end of the game, though it's a very loose estimate. Update length can be pretty variable, but ever since Prehistoric ended, Eras have generally been around 3-5 updates long.

Though the later we get, the more even the most casual, useless techs are going to start being bonkers. So despite my best efforts I may end up slowing down anyway.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 30, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, what eras are the AIs in right now, while you are colonizing the solar system, designing lifeforms and rocking power armor. Because I feel that someday a Barbarian raider will show up on your doorstep in full plate and tilt at your battlemechs.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ashsaber posted:

So, what eras are the AIs in right now, while you are colonizing the solar system, designing lifeforms and rocking power armor. Because I feel that someday a Barbarian raider will show up on your doorstep in full plate and tilt at your battlemechs.

Industrial - Babylon
Medieval - Assyria, Zululand
Classical - Aboriginal, Brazil
Ancient - Minor Civilizations

Of course, you also mentioned the Barbarians and they're a different story.

The Barbarians are the one group that has modern weaponry, which is half of why the Minor Civs keep going up in smoke (the other half is my vassals conquering them). These guys are at least Atomic Era, possibly early Information Era and do play catch up every so often. Do not poke the hornet's nest.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 30, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Was it ever shown what the parts of the map "north" of the solar system are or should that just be a surprise.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Haven't talked about that part because we won't even be sending probes beyond the Solar System until the next Era, let alone leaving it until the one after that. The most i'll say is that pretty much everything up until the last terrain type or two can be logically inferred from scale progression already present.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The dirt path from the moon makes me wonder if there was a Space Elevator building/Wonder that was missed or just not built due to lack of usefulness. It seems like it'd fit in this kitchen sink of stuff.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Jossar posted:

Industrial - Babylon
Medieval - Assyria, Zululand
Classical - Aboriginal, Brazil
Ancient - Minor Civilizations

Of course, you also mentioned the Barbarians and they're a different story.

The Barbarians are the one group that has modern weaponry, which is half of why the Minor Civs keep going up in smoke (the other half is my vassals conquering them). These guys are at least Atomic Era, possibly early Information Era and do play catch up every so often. Do not poke the hornet's nest.

...Okay, that is kinda actually funnier than I thought. So outside the one nation that spent like a century or more creating choking clouds of smog across the world, who are now going out to the cosmos while being on the brink of corporate run government, there is one nation just figuring out this steam power stuff, two that think that armored knights are the best new fighters, another two that are just figuring out how to make actual roads and are looking into the feasibility of Catapults, while Barbarians are Mad Maxing their way across the world in loving tanks.

What an amazing Hellworld.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I bet barbarians are just people from super-advanced Mongolia who decided to take their 3D printers and go conquer their own little kingdoms in less advanced countries...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Subdued Blue-footed Bobby (1) Barbarian

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Banemaster posted:

I bet barbarians are just people from super-advanced Mongolia who decided to take their 3D printers and go conquer their own little kingdoms in less advanced countries...

This is a depressingly plausible idea.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder what convinced the Mongolians to go from having all their people educated by monks to everyone just taking online classes. I guess the classroom AIs finally got ordained into the priesthood?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

paragon1 posted:

I wonder what convinced the Mongolians to go from having all their people educated by monks to everyone just taking online classes. I guess the classroom AIs finally got ordained into the priesthood?

COVID-19

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Nanotech 3/Biopunk

Gene Enhancement is an okay but not particularly special tech, unless you want to count the Human Mod. I am bringing it up because this is where our journey into genetic craziness begins.

No, I’m not talking about the concept of genetic enhancement itself, I mean this bit where the government stole people’s unused IVF fetuses to develop a super-soldier program.

Mainstream Cloning takes this to the next level. Clone your livestock, clone your pets, clone animals from the Pleistocene…

Clone your workers…

Clone your soldiers! There’s even a Cloned army civic though I’m waiting for a different one.

Also the lore entries for the soldiers and the workers directly contradict each other on whether we have the capacity to make these guys sapient or just the biological equivalent of robots.

But oh no, we’re not done yet.

Honestly, Biopunk is the last decent alternative technology tech. Part of this is because the further we get into the future the more arbitrary it seems as to whether such technology should be part of proper history or relegated off to an alternate sideline. But also it’s because after this there’s like one more tech with any effort involved and the rest are just 2-3 buildings attached to a tech. Heck, I won’t be showing off Nanopunk even though we can research it this era because there’s literally nothing attached to it.

Biopunk’s gimmick is that you get some moderately powerful buildings and a ridiculously powerful unit in exchange for your cities eating a lot of disease. I think the Organic Infantry is actually more individually powerful than the final infantry line unit of the game, though limited in the number you can have. Of course we have more than enough disease control to handle the penalties at this point no problem, so bring on the bioengineering.

Military Robotics is a tech from the Information era that I’d been putting off, but I’ll need it and its successor to go further in Nanotech. It also comes with the Robotic Military civic, a slight upgrade to our current one.

Disaster Robots comes with a few units/buildings that control things like disease/flammability/crime, but honestly I’m gonna have to stop the update here because I’m just left utterly speechless by the Police Mech.

https://voices.clickhole.com/the-fact-that-an-explosive-robot-was-used-to-kill-the-d-1825124157

(Techs not mentioned: Augmented Consumables, Thought Scanning, Biometric Warfare, Mass Surveillance, Media Hivemind, Automated Traffic, Automatic Robotics, Ontological Engineering, Automated Urbanization, Plastic Electronics, Electromagnetic Field Shielding, Wireless Electricity)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 1, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think the clone soldier quote was the scientists programming the clones to say that they wanted to serve in the military, which is why the activists weren't exactly convinced.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Dirk the Average posted:

I think the clone soldier quote was the scientists programming the clones to say that they wanted to serve in the military, which is why the activists weren't exactly convinced.

I would believe this apart from the fact that in the worker log it says they're literally incapable of any higher order brain function. The soldiers even having the ability to talk at all is contradictory!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hey, I recognize those Clone units from NextWar! I think it came bundled with my steam version. I feel they probably rejiggered the stats a bit, since they were, IIRC, totally inferior to infantry you already had for a long while at that point, but cheaper to produce.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Jossar posted:

I would believe this apart from the fact that in the worker log it says they're literally incapable of any higher order brain function. The soldiers even having the ability to talk at all is contradictory!

I guess developers think that military clones need to be more advanced than worker clones and thus are given more intelligence.

But just how many clones that are only good for most basic tasks like shovelling one does actually need in late 21st century? Dedicated machinery is better at doing mass labour things like digging and moving stuff, and smaller things would really benefit from problem solving from the clones part.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I got permission to share some Dev responses to our bullshit that you guys can analyze.

A Dev posted:

I haven't seen the complaints about alpha male/female being all that prominent except that maybe it's a little strange to some that they are 'buildings' where they aren't seeing buildings as really what they are, just 'ways cities are improved at player's options'.

What gets me is... what are these racist overtones and biotruths they are referring to? I don't really get it. Sure I understand the criticisms about how we put forward gypsies as criminals but one might later see that some criminal units are to be considered heroic rather than purely villainous. I suppose calling them beggars doesn't help. Maybe they'd be better being some cross between an entertainer and a criminal type. Better pickpocket than beggar. Still... no one person here has created everything and few of us have been trying to filter for the sake of any particular morality (some have I suppose... I remember the great debates about some of the reproductive sciences that Azure wanted to include - those got a bit heated.) But they act like there's some obvious biases that I don't think they really see aren't quite intended as they're taking it.

For example, they incorrectly assume that to include the world's biggest villain is anything more than doing just that - like they seem to think that because we include him, we're all white supremacist right wingers that think he's great. I find that weird. If history didn't have villains, it would be less fun to play through it. If villains weren't something some people wanted to play, you wouldn't even HAVE games like Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed. I'm sure they try to validate those villains more than we can validate Hitler but still, we have every leader of any significant world influence that you might want to include in a scenario here and why shouldn't we? He has had more impact on the world than nearly any historical figure so it would just be stupid to not include him. If one was to assume we support every leader we include, there'd be a LOT of leaders we'd have to get rid of here... like nearly all of them.

Same Dev posted:

His take on Steampunk was interesting and entirely bewildering to me because it doesn't also include a suggestion to solve his problem with the perspective. There is some very good points being made about our poor power system but I think we've known that's a mess and really needs to be converted into a property to be done at all well. We also know how deep our problems with 'unused' resources are and have pending solutions to that, but of course not everything is solveable. I remember a time when games would crash long before this modern point and I was happy with that because I knew balance in numerous places was a mess past that point.

I also think the feedback that bourgoise is too early may be accurate. But again, I haven't done the civics.

Still... I also have to think they miss the point about some of the quotes and things we present in the game. We are not always 'honoring' some figures of history to include them or what they said. And we don't see techs as always being 'improvements'. They are often just steps on the path of human evolution to where we are now and not above reproach, nor to be glossed over and ignored because they weren't pretty. The attitudes of an era aren't always wise, politically correct, just or pure... they were what they were and would be an injustice to try to portray in another light than how they saw themselves at that time. It doesn't mean we 'agree'. It's kinda like watching the show Mad Men... the characters were terrible people in a charmingly horrific time in terms of social mores, and I'm sure history will see our own age much the same.

Dev Response posted:

Jossar posted:

I mean the game already had an Ian Smith quote, so they had to show up somewhere. For extra class, remember that the tech also obsoletes Great Zimbabwe.

It is a testament to the character of the game's content that i'm not mentioning a ton of awful things in the main update (for instance, Management in the techs not mentioned section came with a Racial Profiling building that grants a slight decrease in crime for a big unhappiness penalty), and what manages to get through because it's tied with the significant stuff is still really awful.
The quote was NOT an attempt to suggest that he was right - it was a display of how messed up the worldview that would say that actually is. It also exemplified the entire era's thought and justifications that led to great injustices to Native peoples all around the world. It's there to stir up some feeling, not support the concept nor give it any kind of heroism, though they did at the time feel that there was nobility in this sort of terrible take. I suppose I have to assume that if you read that and feel like 'yeah he was so right!' then you probably need a long hard look in the mirror, but who am I to judge?

As for Great Zimbabwe and Imperialism... Imperialism isn't a good thing either - nor was Torture, but these things exemplified the worst of what human beings were. I don't quite know enough about Great Zimbabwe itself, nor about the Rhodesian culture or its history, though I believe that {other dev} was the creator of many of these added cultures. I read a little about the Rhodesian culture and can see how the origin of the nation and the politics surrounding it were related to the birth of a Global Imperialism Movement. I wouldn't think of it as the culture is being presented as the prize earned by humanity for inventing a social movement towards Imperialism so much as a good way to present the birth of that culture in the historic timeline and that the two things were related.

Dev Response posted:

SuperJayMann posted:

To be honest, I definitely wasn't aware of some of the more questionable stuff in the later eras (some of it but not all). I understand the sentiment of those making a kitchen sink mod of this insane nature to include literally everything in history, both triumphant and terrible, and maybe I'm more naive than most in believing that most of the people putting in these events and buildings aren't doing so from malicious intent. On the other hand, there's a difference between simply including unsavory parts of history as part and parcel of a kitchen sink mod and actively perpetuating harmful stereotypes or bringing to the forefront of the mind events that had and still have grave and tremendous consequences towards entire groups of people even down to recent history (and Civ itself certainly isn't clean of this either. Mao and Stalin even being in Civ 4 is a testament to that). Part of it I suppose is the nature of the game being modded: you want to include all this stuff but you also have to incentivize their use just as a matter of basic game design, otherwise why even include it? But even still, some of the stuff included and written about in the Civlopedia is downright unnecessary. There's a reason I highlighted the whole Gypsy/Romani thing in my playthrough, it's cause the stereotypes and discrimination used to vilify and in many cases completely stamp out the Romani from various parts of Europe had a profound effect on those people that continue down to this day. Including them in the game isn't a problem, even maybe acknowledging in some way the strife that their presence caused in several European communities because of their nomadic lifestyles could be fine too. Having their UU literally be a Criminal unit called the "Beggar" is a step too far though. Maybe the devs would scoff at all this wondering why we're all making such a big deal about stuff that happened in history, and ultimately it's their mod and they can do whatever they want with it, but is this honestly such an unreasonable take? Maybe it ultimately doesn't matter since I still played (and enjoyed) this mod despite all this, so maybe I'm part of the problem

Some of these things are not only incentivized but also may well be more penalizing than they are worth. So you can see how it would've been a mistake from the perspective of leadership to enact them and why. Some of it does support right wing thinking theories and some of it, you may notice, also supports more left wing thinking. In part that is to give fair due to the possibility that those who think along all poles have elements of their views that are correct. Further, many many devs have worked on this mod in a very decentralized approach, and none have tried to morally police it to slant to a particular worldview across the board, though their takes may have slipped in somewhat. Any attempt to do such a sweeping moral audit would be criticized by someone who thinks from the other side of the fence.

Even if we HAVE a personal ideology, we are probably trying mostly to reflect the model of how that thing fits into the world, history, economics etc... as realistically as we possibly can.

Some idealisms and concepts being expressed from all poles are intentional so that you can play the game as the kind of leader you want to pretend you are and sometimes a player wants to play a villain, knowing drat well that's what they are doing. Those who have direct feedback on particular matters are always welcome to comment directly in the forums here and we have an amazingly receptive team that is surprisingly willing to adjust things according to feedback we get, or at least debate it into the dirt as to WHY it was established as it is. By all means, take it all as an invitation to come here and make a point if you feel you have a point to make. Though we may have some seriously deep debates in this forum, we often find that's the most enjoyable part of the modding, and we usually try not to get too angry about our disagreements (though have to steam off and separate ourselves sometimes ;) )

This point about the Beggar, for example, I think was well expressed. I will repeat what I said elsewhere, if it were a more 'romantic criminal' type, I would get it. They were nomadic people that did not believe in the rights of personal ownership and took whatever they wished without regard to local law, believing that the laws of nature overrode all that, but they were still dignified human beings. If one sees the 'beggar' unit as a clever actor or leverager of their unfortunate situation, that spends their days as spies for the wise, an agent in an information network always watching and observing and selling information to those who needed their eyes, you could see it in a positive light. Being a useful unit, very much so, it shouldn't be hard to see it that way. HOWEVER, because the stereotype has been a little too promoted as a negative thing to set people against the Gypsies and that has led to acts of hate and violence being perpetrated against these people, perhaps we should be trying to not promote that stereotypical view and try to put them in a more positive cast.

When I review that unit, I will probably change it. Not because I think it's WRONG how it is as much as because I recognize the grievance being expressed.

The racial profiling thing mentioned in that first quote seems to me, in light of what we try to express, a perfectly designed building. Sure you might get a little more opportunity to diminish crime by getting up more people's asses and throwing more people against the wall for stop and frisk and so on, but the penalties in the injustice of it are likely to be greater than the benefits, which is how we suggest that... yeah this is NOT a good policy. Particularly when we finally get around to making excess unhappiness cause more crime... (making it potentially a self-defeating policy entirely.)

Dev posted:

Another Dev posted:

Also what if Something Awful tradition was to find something awful in various things?

I know it is... but that doesn't mean we cannot sort out what is justifiable criticisms when decent points are made and determine for ourselves what is a truly legitimate thing that is simply misunderstood and what criticisms to blow off as a result. It should be inspiring our discussion, as I've been allowing it to here, whether it is purely for the sake of trolling or not.

Different Dev posted:

Dev posted:

Different Dev posted:

The other thing I would raise is that racial profiling is itself a crime (against the constitution, the rule of law, against basic human rights). When a regime mandates to the contrary, that doesn't make racial profiling legal, that makes an illegitimate (or at least criminal) regime.

A crime is a breach of the established rules of society and something that can harm the community. If a government enacts a policy, it is by definition not a 'crime' but the opposite of that, although it can certainly be an unjust policy or position or activity. By the concept of 'crime against nature', one can easily argue that any method of punishment is exactly that, a crime perpetuated by the government. We do not have 'oppression' as a property but I've certainly suggested that negative crime would be made to be exactly that. The resistance to the concept has been that the AI would not well handle a property being considered both positive and negative, though I've been seeing if I can get the AI to value a proper balance of response and when I feel that it is zeroed in, I may well start at some point considering the concept of 'oppression' through negative crime numbers.
Are you kidding? You're saying international law doesn't exist? There is no such thing as an illegitimate or criminal regime? All those Nazis at Nuremberg should have been released without trial, since they were innocent by definition? You don't believe that.

Governments do things all the time that turn out to be illegal, sometimes declared so by that same country's courts.
And no, negative crime is not equivalent to oppression.

Dev posted:

Sure it is. When you take too much action to control people's behavior, that is the very definition of oppression. Even if your police are 'nice' but they're constantly up your rear end, that's still oppression. If people feel they don't have enough autonomy outside of supervision, or rights to privacy (much of law enforcement is really 'espionage' against the activities of the people) they will eventually get rebellious and resentful.

Different Dev posted:

Dev posted:

I think it's good that there are some crimes that are considered crimes for good reason but can still be mostly a positive as well. Note that XP to criminals trained also applies to the ones that are spawned in the city so does tend to be a negative unless your whole strategy is to leverage crime to your benefit. If we wanted to add a negative to Armed Communities, I would certainly think that it should be destabilizing under Rev. Perhaps Vigilantism should be as well? Maybe an unhealth from idiots that are going out to be vigilantes getting themselves killed - the main reason we don't want people being vigilantes in the first place.
And it's a complete coincidence that the crimes chosen are those of the ultra-right that feed the redneck fantasy?

What about the "freedom-fighting" (I mean treasonous sedition of course) of Fretilin or the Sandinistas? They are not entirely beneficial, but no crime should be. What about Robin Hood (or Gypsy) redistribution of wealth crimes? What about crimes of belonging to the wrong religion, or disseminating subversive literature like "Uncle Tom's Cabin"? There are plenty of less rabidly rightist crimes to pick, but these were picked deliberately, and that kind of wrongheadedness needs to be opposed urgently.

Armed Communities means 'militia' or cult compounds. They are no-go areas for real law enforcement. They consider themselves above all laws except their own. Especially by your definition "states can't commit crimes", this is obviously not reducing crime, in fact it's not having any positive effect.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
This counts as me doxxing someone right?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Ashsaber posted:

Hey, I recognize those Clone units from NextWar! I think it came bundled with my steam version. I feel they probably rejiggered the stats a bit, since they were, IIRC, totally inferior to infantry you already had for a long while at that point, but cheaper to produce.

There's actually a lot in this mod taken directly from Next War; techs like Aquaculture and buildings like Arcology and all kinds of stuff.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

My dissection of the power mechanics in the industrial age was actually decently received :toot:

It's worth mentioning that I don't hate C2C, I just tend to get frustrated easily and there are things in it that I find disagreeable. I legitimately enjoy playing it and it's probably the main thing that's kept me from buying any of the newer games in the series.

If the devs are reading the posts in this thread though I will say one thing: please implement the multi-map system, I really like the space stuff and having all of it accessible with the strange worlds that can be created with map generation would be a lot of fun.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 1, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jossar posted:

I took it to be something like making a computer say "Hello World." It wouldn't be terribly difficult for them to stage a carefully controlled "interview" where the clone has a mask on or something, and either prerecorded responses or a response controlled by a sentient human (such as one of the scientists) is piped through to make it seem as if the clone soldier is speaking.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Now see, I look at the clones, and remember the Genejack.

https://alphacentauri.gamepedia.com/Genejack_factory

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I don't really want to engage with the devs personally on this, though I'm not gonna knock other people for doing so. Perhaps it's not the most intellectually honest thing to do, since i'm writing up an LP on it already and thus creating commentary. And I do try to go back and edit things out/apologize when i'm obviously grievously wrong. But just playing the game and writing it up is an enormous effort, let alone having sustained arguments on the forums for more than a sentence or two response to the occasional tech.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 1, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

All I'm going to say is, I'm not sure what's worse about those dev quotes. That they keep referring to the Romani as gypsies the entire time, or that one of them tried to romanticize beggars and kept comparing them to Robin Hood.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah the fact that they keep using g*psies instead of Romani is... unthinking at best

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay but why do you have a whole Civic about being the CSA called Confederacy?

It's not even a good example of the government type described in the Civic description text.

Why does the gold standard work better than literally any modern monetary tech if you're not making ideological value judgements?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They’ll say it was a thing in history and that a complete historical game has both good and bad things in it and ignore the government type description.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

If the devs are reading this thread then they should read this. Actually learn Romani culture and stop using slurs against them. You know the word gyp? That comes from the slur gypsie, because of racist assumptions of thievery from euros who criminalized their existence. Use actual cultural heroes, history, and folklore to shape how you make a culture lol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They also need to consider the 'there's no such thing as an anti-war movie' thing. If it's in your game and you're not screaming its denunciation at the top of your lungs, people are going to assume you're in favor of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarhead is the only successful antiwar war movie.

Unfortunately having nothing happen won’t work for a game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Devs: I don't think you're actually racists making a racist game for racist people. I think that the immense scope of your project means that you have grabbed and absorbed many small pieces and interpretations of history without critically reflecting upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arrhythmia posted:

Devs: I don't think you're actually racists making a racist game for racist people. I think that the immense scope of your project means that you have grabbed and absorbed many small pieces and interpretations of history without critically reflecting upon them.

Adding to that a lot of this stems from the culture system and the requirement that literally every culture have a unique unit. Combine that with the kitchen sink approach of design and the need to give everyone something leads to anything being used which leads to things like beggars and the janjaweed.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2020