Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I don’t mean to roll over the discussion, but I do have enough playtime for another update so here it is.

Jossar's Playthrough – Nanotech 4

Supersonic Rails is an important tech because it finally lets Mars and Venus have native workers that can take over the job of Construction Ships and actually do things like build roads.

Rapid Recuperation has this building which is primarily useful for the reduction in food needed for a city to grow, though does help with the production of clone-based soldiers. Although really our cities are such production powerhouses at this point that they can produce anything “standard” in 1-2 turns anyway.

Anti-Aging Medicine continues to bring the gradual improvement of human lifespan, complete with wonders reflecting the elimination of some of the worst diseases and chronic problems faced by humanity.

However the actual elimination of most of the in-city buildings associated with those diseases is saved for Smart Drugs. We’ve already seen a little bit of this in the Nanotech Era, but there’s going to be a lot of solving of problems endemic to cities that we just couldn’t do anything about for the past few thousands of years.

I have no idea how this guy got here. Well, Great People are kind of overrated at this point and a Venusian city really could use his personal bonuses so he joins as a specialized worker.

Exocortex Networks represents the development of neurological implant systems that allow you to manage the flow of information through your brain. So not only do we have this fantastic building that lets you have more concrete visualization of your dreams, but we also get the Fast learning civic.

We now have the ability to build swarms of nanomachines. Both as utility fog that allows us to offload many responsibilities and tools into the environment around us, but also as an attack unit which looks like a billowing cloud and self-heals.

Amplified Wavelengths brings some improved science capacity to Cislunar Space and uh…

Okay the actual in-game description is that we’ve managed to develop our sensor technology enough to confirm signals being produced by aliens and likely does not represent a full scale level of contact in the sense of communication. I guess there’s your answer on whether complex alien life exists at all in the C2C universe though.

Warmachines provides a lot of upgrades to our robots and mechs but is mostly noticeable for the first space-attack unit designed to raid/capture Cislunar cities.

We began the update with workers and we shall end it with workers. Yes, I see all the killer robots but we already have a lot of killer robots. I think Androids are the final upgrade on the regular worker unit line and along with them, the Moon finally gets workers that can build up to date road networks.

(Techs not mentioned: Gene Jurisprudence, Synthetic Sentience, Bionics, Novus Chemistry, Nanoelectronics, Advanced Computers, Photon Thermodynamics, Interactive Glass, Quantum Supercomputing, Droids)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Nanotech 5

This is another one of those updates where I burn through the rest of an era because there really isn’t that much interesting left except in noting a few developments in tech. I actually got so bored during this one that I went and offscreen eliminated the barbarians that aren’t cooped up on the mountains at the top of the world just to have something to do. All of the minor civs are gone too, though most of the blame for that is on Babylon devouring them. I don’t want to say Babylon’s close to us now, but as a result they’re a fraction closer.

Universal Translator is our next language upgrade. Some of these civics are balanced choices against one another depending on your situation/in-game ideological leanings and others are just straight upgrades. Language is pretty much always a straight upgrade.

We’ve been waiting a long time but Vertical Farming provides the upgrade to the farm improvement, as well as a series of buildings within cities that provide a lot more food. Food isn’t really a problem for earth based cities any more, but every little bit helps.

Environmental Economics obsoletes most of the Pest auto-buildings and also provides us with a new Welfare civic. Eco-Friendly is pretty nice. It’s not as 100% a clean cut upgrade as Universal Translator was, but the benefits to health and unhappiness reduction are really powerful.

Somebody asked in the thread before if there was a Space Elevator wonder. Here it is. Sadly it has nothing to do with connecting the Earth and the Moon and is just more spaceship production.

Orbital Flight comes with a series of planes that I’m uncertain as to whether they can be used in Low Earth Orbit or are just called that for flavor. The most important thing here really is the Space Shipping Warehouse for reasons that will be explained later.

Sadly the Levitation Tanks do not actually go over water, although we have Hovercraft somewhere that do. The most important thing about Levitation then, is that we now get to dump our garbage into space.

While putting more food on Earth is only so-so, putting more food in space is always welcome, and Dystopia Pathogens serves as part of a series of techs that focus on ramping that up, especially on Mars. It also comes with a building that literally replaces several pollution effects, so if you are still having trouble with that, then as mentioned before Nanotech is the era where you eliminate most of those worries altogether.

Supercharged Crystallography introduces Diamond Nanothread, allowing us to create buildings tough enough to actually construct full scale cities on Mars, if still somewhat dirty and self contained due to a lack of a full atmosphere.

And here we go. Final tech of the Nanotech Era, all about stretching the moon’s industrial powerhouse to the limits of the era.

Wait, didn’t I mention we’d be having a final exam about now?

Each of the five definitively futuristic eras comes with a National Wonder representing the development of a full fledged space economy. They each have a lot of requirements, and you can’t complete them without settling several cities out in the new regions of space. Why is getting this wonder important?

Because getting it is the only way to unlock a number of buildings that are going to be crucial for continuing the development of the space economy in future eras. Or at the very end of the game when you don’t care about that any more, it’s still needed for some of the fanciest/show off wonders. You don’t have to literally complete the space economy wonders as soon as you get them, but holding off for too long is a bad idea.

Fortunately we’re all ready to go. This also provides a nice opportunity to show off that our first city, Karakorum, has hit size 100.

(Techs not mentioned: Cybersocial Integration, Accelerated Germination, Ion Beams, Electromagnetic Voltage, Regenerative Medicine, Cyberimmunology, Cybernetics, Skyroads, Prototyped Pathogens, Battlefield Sports, DNA Computing, Hypothetical Biochemistry, Designer Microbiology, Cloaking, Personal Robots, Planetary Economics)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ah whoops, gave the game away already after I said I didn't want to earlier. Well that's what I get for posting half-asleep. Fortunately none of it actually matters for several eras on. We're not even halfway down that terrain list!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 2, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jossar posted:

Ah whoops, gave the game away already after I said I didn't want to earlier. Well that's what I get for posting half-asleep. Fortunately none of it actually matters for several eras on. We're not even halfway down that terrain list!

And on a similar note there's a terrain type or two far in the future that literally can't be accidentally spoiled because it probably isn't reachable outside of the civilopedia until multi-map happens :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ah, good old size 100 cities. And consider this is all with the harsh growth control formulas that were put in place because beforehand growth was so out of control you'd routinely see 100+ pop cities in Industrial/Modern era. Or at least that's the timeframe I remember, I could be wrong.

Definitely a lot sooner than deep into the first Space age, that's for sure :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That National wonder is pretty neat. I like the idea of their being a capstone project to accompany the end of an era to check if you've been keeping up on infrastructure with your tech.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Seconded. I've had my gripes with mod design before but this makes sense.

I know other Civ games have worked with a multi-map system for space and planets; Civ 2" Test of Time, years and years ago, pulled it off. But that's a completely different game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sincx posted:

Can't wait to see what hyperspace looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ__jX7EL0E

you don't want to

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Transhuman 1/The Rest of the Punks

We started the previous era with our civilization’s people basically unchanged apart from some fringe experimentation, and ended it gene-edited, intelligence boosted through neurological implants, constantly in contact with swarms of nanobots, life-extended, and free of disease. This isn’t even to mention our parallel development of creating robots in the likeness of people and with some measure of sentience, though not true sapience. Humanity is going to look very different by the end of the era, if indeed what finishes colonizing the solar system and prepares to enter the Galactic Era can still be called “humanity” at all.

But right, first things first, let’s get to the rest of the Solar System. In truth you only need about 3 Deep Space Colonies that can be sprinkled wherever. But since I don’t seem to have maintenance problems I colonize everything from Mercury to Pluto, about 12 cities. Even then it’s a much less deeper spread than before with only one city in each terrain type.

Kuiper Belt Exploration allows for the cities actually located near planets/moons to build unique buildings in addition to the generic Deep Space Colony tree. Actually exploring the Kuiper Belt and beyond with probes is going to be a later tech in the era though. Everything is pretty quick to build, and apart from that Pluto National Wonder I can pretty much just let the colonization continue by itself.

Instead it’s time to return to Earth and get high. Some of it involves gene editing to allow people to experience synesthesia and other novel senses and modes of perception never before seen. Some of it just involves drugs so amazing they outclass all previous drugs and forms of entertainment.

...whoops. I may have kind of gone on a bender and handed the government over to artificial intelligence. And now it’s telling me that as a result of my actions we can no longer be trusted to manage our own lives and instead society will be organized according to technocratic principles and governed by all those corporations we set up.

Well, could be worse. They could’ve just taken away our free will or trapped us in a simulation or something.

At this point I research Cyberpunk. It’s the last interesting punk tech (and even then only barely), so I’m gonna take this opportunity to review all of the remaining punks very quickly.

Cyberpunk only has a few buildings. They focus on the increasing ability of technology to solve our problems at the cost of our increased reliance on said technology and government exploitation of that. Mostly this just takes the form of dream chambers (don’t we already have those?) which give you headaches/beam government propaganda into your head and labs involving machine controlled insects.

Crystalpunk is the other Transhuman punk tech. It just has a couple of buildings involving energy crystals and maybe some nice fanciful skycrapers where philosophers dwell. They don’t really involve any costs or tradeoffs, it’s just more stuff to build, and not very impressive at that.

Spacepunk is the Galactic punk tech, it involves some wonders concerning the realization of various interstellar colonization projects theorized by Icarus Interstellar. You’ll probably learn more about it from the website than anything in game though.

Starpunk is the Cosmic punk tech and it’s buildings are just things from Stargate. It’s kinda funny that you need the Great Pyramids to build the Pyramid ship wonder though.

And there we go. I’m gonna take a break at this point, maybe a day, maybe a few. Something about the Nanotech/Transhuman eras is even more boring to me than the rest of the game so far and I need to recharge. Probably because we’re in the future enough that all the rest of the mechanics have been played out and turned to drudgery but we’re not yet at the point where the last veneer of restraint has slipped away and we can just ride the insanity to the end.

(Techs not mentioned: Unification Physics, Artificial Photosynthesis, Neuron Engineering, Hypermagnetics)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A tech's description just being a tv tropes link does not surprise me in the least about this mod. The tech tree smacks of that kind of obsessive need to digitize and categorize everything even slightly ambiguous or abstract.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A TvTropes link is worth the same sort of reaction than the goldbug bits.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cyberpunk should've been the Punk between Dieselpunk and Biopunk where it's all Internet and digital stuff early (like the others) with bonuses for corporations. After that, punk loses all meaning since "-punk" stuff is often just retro-futuristic. Once you reach the future though, there's no futuristic to really project to with relatively retro technology.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Cyberpunk should've been the Punk between Dieselpunk and Biopunk where it's all Internet and digital stuff early (like the others) with bonuses for corporations. After that, punk loses all meaning since "-punk" stuff is often just retro-futuristic. Once you reach the future though, there's no futuristic to really project to with relatively retro technology.

Funny enough, I think this used to be the case (well, after Atompunk), or at least Cyberpunk was further back on the tree. I have no idea why this got changed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jossar posted:

Funny enough, I think this used to be the case (well, after Atompunk), or at least Cyberpunk was further back on the tree. I have no idea why this got changed.

Oh right, I forgot Atompunk was a thing. Yeah it should be Steam->Diesel->Atom->Cyber->Bio (I guess)

Biopunk should also be stuff like programmable microbes and computers that use cells instead of chips. Purpose built grown soldiers and so on. But that's a minor quibble compared to everything else.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

did the devs ever explain why most of the tech quotes are just them using find on wikiquote?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BallisticClipboard posted:

did the devs ever explain why most of the tech quotes are just them using find on wikiquote?

Probably because doing any more would be a huge time sink PITA?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you add a billion fiddly techs, that's your fault though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

After a day’s break and reflection I’ve come to the conclusion that most of the things I’d like to do require me having a large enough block of time that isn’t eaten up by this. So might as well just keep pressing on.

Jossar's Playthrough – Transhuman 2

Update Mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRbeQ1ZCcto

Megastructure Engineering allows for the construction of Arcologies, introducing the second to last set of automatic housing buildings. Building an arcology also seals your cities inside domes.

Okay, I’ve changed my mind guys, this is actually the greatest game ever invented in the history of mankind.

Moving on, Utopia Destiny and Synergetics are both techs which unlock futuristic-civics. Post-Scarcity and Post-Currency are fairly self explanatory – society has evolved beyond the need for transactions to be measured on a day to day individual basis and everyone can have what they want, within reason. Neo-Syncretism is some kind of “every religion has its own answers” deal that lets you keep more of the typical religious bonuses without having a state religion. None of these are better than our current civics in ways that are actually useful to us.

Astrogation Constellation is the big tech of the update. It allows for multiple things simultaneously. More buildings obviously, but beyond that…

We can finally send probes out into the Oort Cloud, and beyond there into Transtellar Space. The latter picture is of a super-earth next to a sun-like star. These probes have now gone farther than any real world man-made probe, as even our furthest ones will not leave the Oort Cloud for hundreds of years.

Apart from that we can finally build workships that allow us to build Solar Trajectories. Surprisingly enough given this also includes Earth this time. We don’t complete the entirety of the solar rail network this update, but most of the solar system is connected. A big boom in productivity occurs, especially on Mars, as the rest of the solar system now has access to trading routes revolving around the much more powerful Earth cities.

Well our terraforming efforts have had limited success as of yet, and even when we do they’ll still be slightly different in character from the Earth, so might as well gene edit people to be better suited to the Lunar and Martian environments.

I’m pretty sure this wonder was taken directly from Call to Power. But at least it’s different in effect.

We finally get access to building most of that cool stuff that Cislunar Economy unlocked directly and man there’s some wild stuff further up the build tree.

(Techs not mentioned: Binary Subconsciousness, Social Calculus, Planetary Trade, Anti-Gravity Fields, Weightless Flight, Quadruple Helix, Novo Paleontology, Evolved Construction, Frost Beams)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 4, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I spot Utopia Destiny obsoleting Racial Profiling... What does Racial Profiling do?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Smart Dust obsoleting Bridal Shops is the weirdest thing in the updated.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How powerful is the dolphin?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Maigius posted:

Smart Dust obsoleting Bridal Shops is the weirdest thing in the updated.
Nobody will buy a wedding dress when the nanites let them custom make their own!

But also yes, yes it is.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nobody will buy a wedding dress when the nanites let them custom make their own!

But also yes, yes it is.

I mean, you can make your own with smart dust, but you'd still want someone who knows how to make you look good to give you a general idea of what shape to give the dress.

Hm, bridal counselor structure when?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Banemaster posted:

I spot Utopia Destiny obsoleting Racial Profiling... What does Racial Profiling do?

A large degree of unhappiness in exchange for a slight decrease in crime.

Bloodly posted:

How powerful is the dolphin?

As an actual unit it's subpar to what we already have from the general tech tree. I'd never use it, it's just funny to see.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No you fool! You made dolphins too powerful! You've doomed us all!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looking forward to Judgement Day with Skynet except dolphins.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Super Jay Mann posted:

Looking forward to Judgement Day with Skynet except dolphins.

That gives new meaning to the phrase "So long and thanks for all the fish."

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
dolphins with robot legs? this can't possibly go wrong

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Transhuman 3

Nanomining is a massive upgrade to all our mining facilities, allowing for the combination of some buildings into singular megacomplexes and allowing for an upgrade to the mine tile improvement.

Frictionless Flight reveals what I believe to be the last level of regular routes, the rest being ones up in space.

Just showing off a couple wonders here to demonstrate the interesting concepts of space development. Turning Mars’ moon Phobos into a supermine and building a massive torus type colony at the Earth’s L5 Lagrange point.

Okay so we’ve got a lot to talk about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx61xeDV_60

The devs can call these guys Super Soldiers all they want, they’re members of the Adeptus Astartes with the serial numbers filed off. The final upgrades to the standard infantry line, though the other unit lines get more off in the future so I’m not sure how great these guys are by comparison.

Genetically enhanced cyborg cat/dog police units. We’ll meet the criminals these guys are hunting later.

The Superhuman civic is really good. Oddly enough, it has a very optimistic sounding description but unlocks a lot of buildings involving mad science or locking people away in prisons for literal eternity. Not sure if there’s supposed to be a tone discrepancy or the description really should be part of one of the later techs.

Mind Uploads comes with this nuke that lets you mind control people instead of blasting the land with radioactive fallout. The national wonder is a mind upload databank that gives all your cities an extra population. Finally, we get the ability to communicate through telepathy, something that probably scares the living daylights out of all the lower tech nations when we show up at the mod’s UN equivalents.

Artificial Life comes with Resurrection Chambers, which are an improved version of the Gestation Chambers from before that decrease food amounts necessary for a city to grow.

I extend the solar rail network out to the edge of the solar system. When we hit Galactic, I’ll shove the first transtellar cities on the Transtellar Space side of the Oort Cloud, so they can be connected to the rest of the solar network from the word go, and prepare to connect the simultaneous and future-built cities of that Era.

Comprehensive Cybernetics now gives everyone the ability to have a robot body, not just those at the cutting edge. Of course, the increased merger of man and machine causes problems too.

Meet the Technarchist, the last criminal unit. A mad cyborg hacker willing to do anything for mods and upgrades. Although in the back half of the last paragraph there’s commentary on how some of them fear the ascendancy of the technological over the biological and find that the most effective way to rebel against it is to fight fire with fire.

For those of our citizens who prefer to remain fully biological, we can now provide them with an indefinite lifespan. In the case of both we don’t yet have the power to prevent true information death in the case of an accident, so people aren’t 100% immortal yet. But even then it’s possible to create a duplicate robot body/biological duplicate and provide it with a complete reconstruction of a person’s mind from the national database, if a person wants to be recreated after their death.

(Techs not mentioned: Botanical Alchemy, Optronics, Shielding, Asteroid Extraction, Binary Semiotics, Whole Brain Emulation, Technological Singularity, Abyss Colonization, Artificial Nucleosynthesis, Cryonics, Neutraceutical Animals, Animamaterials, Advanced Shielding)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 5, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I must object to the very idea of police cats, as Jean Cocteau said, one should like cats because there are no police cats, it is part of their charm.

Also, seeing a solar rail in such a literal interpretation is pretty funny.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

SIGSEGV posted:

I must object to the very idea of police cats, as Jean Cocteau said, one should like cats because there are no police cats, it is part of their charm.

Also, seeing a solar rail in such a literal interpretation is pretty funny.

To be fair, the Felis Superior requires Megafauna Domestication. Partially because they're actually panthers, but I like to think of it as "unless your society went alternate-history and figured out how to truly domesticate cats, they still won't listen, somehow."

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like that choice of quote for artificial life, I wish even half the tech quotes for this mod had fit together as well.

Also note that Police Cats still need the Big Cat Trainer Wonder from way back in Prehistory. Maybe police cats are what would've happened had the Ancient Egyptian civilizations stood the test of time :v:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The future quotes are, on a whole, much better fits. Also that L5 colony shows clearly a torus-shaped habitat, it's not a cylinder :argh:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

kw0134 posted:

The future quotes are, on a whole, much better fits. Also that L5 colony shows clearly a torus-shaped habitat, it's not a cylinder :argh:

Okay that one's my fault: It's actually a picture of the Stanford Torus. The wonder name is generic and I just assumed it was a Cylinder because it requires Cislunar O'Neill Cylinder and several of the O'Neill Cylinder designs look similar in nature, if y'know, more obviously a cylinder. I'll go back and fix that now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Did Stephen Hawking really say that? Cause that's an incredibly stupid statement.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Did Stephen Hawking really say that? Cause that's an incredibly stupid statement.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=bD8PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IoYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4837%2C5338590
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ts-1374137.html

This seems like sufficient evidence that he did say it, unless both newspapers used an erroneous source.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Alright I have to ask, what is the Laughing Man improvement/building thay Cyberpunk unlocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Nothing, or I guess everything. That's the emblem they picked for the Cyberpunk culture, which has no effects on its own but you have to build before you can build the rest of the Cyberpunk related buildings.

(I should probably stop responding to forum posts until I finish playing the next update though.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 5, 2020