Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Somebody needs to mod this so that all the civs start as lone lobsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

C Man is a dog’s best friend.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Welp, pack it in boys. We’re Homo NoDoggo now, doomed to the ash heap of history like Neanderthal.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Omega Child Crew needs to be a gang tag.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Firaxis wanted to remake AC but without the distressing moral implications of future tech. They deliberately whitewashed the future, kinda like original Star Trek. Never mind that the three paths you can take in BE are about forcing everyone else to join you in making a very specific idea of human 2.0, whether they like it or not. Normal humans are destined to die out by the end of the game, and everyone is so cheery about it that it actually adds an extra layer of dystopian nightmare on top.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Then it probably is Slavery. I wouldn't be surprised since Slavery in Civ 4 is INCREDIBLY Powerful and you generally keep it as long as possible.

Well, slavery is what you need to get poo poo done now and cheap. America has a huge slave force in the form of prison labor, since slavery is still legal as punishment. Prisoners do a fair bit of heavy lifting for the US defense industry, as well as literal cotton picking for sweet irony. Sweatshops, factories, industrial farming and mineral extraction all heavily rely on slave labor worldwide. Civ 4 was right about slavery. Just keep whippin’ them pops into spaaaaaaace!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Trip report: It's not that great, or at least it plays too slowly for my liking. There's some great stuff in there and I especially appreciate the way it does map gen and seeds starting terrain to match a factions background, but it's very hard to play in a satisfying way.

^^^ I recommend trying out the Colonization game Firaxis did off the Civ4 engine. There's a bunch of great mods for that one too and it's very faithful to the original game.

It seems strange that you can whip slaves all day in the base game, but not at all in Colonization.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nomadic and :black101: because nobody can know how truly cruel we are unless we have puppies to kick.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

General Revil posted:

I'll just say that this is the very reason why the original MoO is my favorite 4x.

MoO 2 is clearly superior as it is the first one I played.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prav posted:

i feel like caveman2cosmos is getting criticized for achieving its goals here

like yeah it's a bloated mess. that's the point

It’s not really an intuitive bloated mess though. The civlopedia taking many seconds to load and the sluggish computer turns make what is already a long experience much longer, as well. I played a few hours of C2C just to enhance the thread experience for myself, and my chief complaints are opaque mechanics, cluttered UI and turn length.

C2C really just needs to drop Civ and start with a clean, modern slate. Simple, layered sprites could help speed along custom art needs (you make a naked pixel man, throw in some color variants and then make a sling sprite, spear sprite, hair sprite, laser bazooka sprite, etc.). You have open source music and art you can lean on, as well. The game is already road mapped out and settled mechanics-wise and even has a functioning prototype. Really somebody just needs to do a kickstarter or patreon to pay a few dudes to work part-time on it for a couple years.

I think setting up a nested tooltip system, like in this game, would be the killer feature.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Do androids dream of electric beads?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I know the Aztecs used kids as porters for their warfare. That was kinda like their first military rank or duty. In the rear with the gear until uncle Jaguar Fist taught you how to murder your first man. Who needs beasts of burden when you have child labor?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

NewMars posted:

That's actually the worst possible example, the Yucatan has no major rivers and in fact is geographically unique in supporting historical urban civilization despite the complete lack of permanent water sources. What they have are cenotes: giant natural wells that fill with rainwater. One of the most common theories for why the Maya civilization underwent at least one major rearrangement is because of a small shift in rain patterns causing urban life in many places to become unsustainable because of this.

Are cenotes anything like stepwells?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A Boy and His

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Most of the implements of torture that we're aware of were invented in the 19th century, including that one. Nobody bothered to get creative with that kind of thing, since torture is a means to an end, not something that was done for the fun of it (sadists aside). I think what happened here is that the devs figured the Spanish Inquisition was a good starting point (even if that was actually Renaissance-era rather than Medieval). :shrug:

Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were behind in tech.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope this mod allows us to upgrade the dogs to robodogs, cyberdogs and mechadogs as we progress up the tech tree.

Imagine if you will, pneumatic doggo jaws clamping down on a man’s limb, spewing forth superheated steam onto soft, pink flesh. Good boy!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In addition to the actual Canaanites and their religion, there were the ancient Christian Cainites, who were too cool for school.

Also, there’s Canaanism, which seems to be a quasi-religious Israeli movement focused on decoupling Judaism from Israeli identity, or some such.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

So not the Vampires?

Nah, the Cainites were Gnostics into the whole demiurge thing. Cain was the good guy because the god of the Old Testament was actually evil, thus Judas was also the good guy. Contrarian as gently caress, but I can see where they’re coming from.

Vampire the Whatevering Cainites are complete tools, like everyone else in White Wolf.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rhino :killdozer:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Omobono posted:

True, it does feel that way.
They still manage to be better than the Civ 6 quotes somehow. (On average, this particular quote is quite bad)

C2C quotes aren’t read by Shawn Bawn (Seen Bean?), tho.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That clears up nothing!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Randalor posted:

Nazi doggo is not good doggo :colbert:

Besides, if you want a good doggo, go with one that you can ride in.

There are no bad doggos, only bad doggo owners.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

From what I understand, that's because the end goal of all that space content is generating discrete maps for each planet/asteroid/whatever and switching between them, the current implementation of "space maps" where everything is on one map is just a stopgap to test the functionality because the guy who was originally implementing this multimap system is no longer on the team so they've been holding off implementing his work on that end until they figure out how the heck to do it.

Everything about this mod's development is madness and that's what makes it equal parts :allears: and :stare:

Can’t wait to run a galactic empire of thousands of worlds, all broken down into normal Civ maps where I have to move individual units to plant space trees.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I also enjoy Shin Megami Tensei.

Summoning Jesus to punch Vishnu is awesome. The Persona series and the traditional dungeon crawlers are my main jam. I just realized that it’s been several years since I’ve last played an SMT game at all, which is an issue I need to remedy. I guess I should finally finish Persona 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Randalor posted:

Uh, excuse me, but at no point do you ever see Jesus in the SMT series.
:goonsay:

But seriously, I don't think you can summon Jesus to punch Vishnu, but you can summon Jesus (complete with the cross and crown of thorns) to punch God-yes-the-judeo-christian-God.

I’m a dirty casual fan, alright? I was generalizing!