Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Btw, the correct answer to the religion question is "yes".

Found every religion.
Pop a golden age.
Revolt to religion X.
Build all buildings/wonders with "requires X to be the state religion".
Revolt to religion Y...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

Jossar posted:

I'm pretty sure (though can't 100% confirm from memory) that all the buildings that require a particular state religion shut down when you switch. So in practice there's no real point apart from the modifiers that occur from having the extra religion present. Which are mostly based on civics, and I think a lot of the ones that really benefit from having multiple religions in a single city don't show up until much later.

That would sort of make sense, wouldn't it? If religious requirements worked the same as civic requirements, and shut down their buildings when you switched away?

C2C: Uh... yeah, about that...

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

In the interest of making this a more educational LP, I will note that all the provided options are bad - presumably due to some combination of roleplaying and attempting to wring challenge out of the utterly helpless AI.

The non-bad traits are (in alphabetical order): Agricultural, Financial, Idealistic, Industrious, Megalomaniac, Philosophical, Scientific.

Essentially, due to the immense amount of buildings, individual building discounts are meaningless. Because said buildings provide ridiculous amounts of, well, everything, static bonuses are meaningless. Yes, even happiness bonuses. But even then, anything that gives culture is meaningless, because while you could always use more hammers or science, the flood of culture from buildings quickly reaches the point of diminishing returns. Similarly anything that gives gold or affects maintenance/upkeep is meaningless, because you'll be swimming in gold regardless (note that gold != commerce. Commerce is the god-stat). Anarchy modifiers are pretty close to meaningless if you use golden ages properly. Crime/disease effects are meaningless, because you can just stack more police/doctors in your cities. Finally, anything that affects units/military is meaningless, because the AI is helpless. Oh and the same for diplomacy effects.

(I hope no one was still under the impression that this mod contained balance)

In a nutshell, look for percentage bonuses to food, commerce, hammers, and science, and stay away from penalties to same.

So, this means that only option D is actively harmful, and it mostly comes down to what gameplan you prefer (if SJM was stacking religions properly the happiness penalty from C might also be large enough to be harmful, despite being a static value).

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

One thing I will say though is that in a previous playthrough I did run into massive gold issues much later in the game due to long, long periods of abusing gold rushing for getting new cities online faster. Much as in real life, inflation is a pain in the neck :v: Not sure if utilizing that playstyle will lead into those same issues in this version of the mod but I guess we'll see.

That's a fair point (not sure why you'd spoiler that, but I'll follow suit), gold can eventually become useful by being turned into hammers. But the option doesn't appear until the point where you should already have effectively won the game - settled everything that needed settling, razed everything that needed razing, etc. At that point, with a choice between micromanagement and innumerable trade-off calculations, versus just relaxing and hammer-maxing, I choose the latter. Rushing is what the hundreds of captives are for.

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

''Some features only function if X is your state religion" is almost always a big fat lie, at least for the things that matter (mainly food and science). Thus you pretty much want to land every religion. Some are mostly good for their wonders and don't necessarily need to be spread universally. But at the very least you want druidism and shamanism everywhere, for that sweet early game food. Make sure you spend some time with each as your state religion too, so you can build both versions of each building - the second one requires state religion to build, but not to provide its bonuses. Then do the same for ngai later.