Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Unless they've fixed it, you can't actually build Neanderthal Workers, because Sedentary Living obsoletes the Neanderthal Culture needed to build them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Once more the american post-apocalypse proofs itself unable to imagine the existence of bicycles.

Bikes might work for dragoons, I suppose. Or maybe if people train to bike from a young age you could have bike-mounted archers, or something.

That said, speaking as someone who bikes daily (or did before the pandemic), bikes have a number of drawbacks horses don't. Would you really want to make a charge from bikeback? I wouldn't. Also wouldn't want to bike around on grass, the few times I've tried it have been unpleasant experiences. Where would you find a lasting supply of parts to repair bikes in a post-apocalyptic setting, or to build new ones?

Also, if you have a surplus of horses, you can change from a tired horse to a fresh one, and be able to ride longer/further. Can't exactly do that with a bike.

e: beaten re offroading and making new bikes.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Why would you assume any of those changes will happen?

With regards to sex the genitalia, I don't see any particular reason people would want to give up on sex the activity. Sex can be fun and pleasant, whether it's needed for reproduction is not particularly relevant. Having sex rather presupposes having relevant bits or the ability to make/simulate them. So even if people change to robot bodies, they could very well be "fully functional", as it were.

With regards to gender, why would that go away? 'They' is already a gender identity, and there's no particular reason 'it' couldn't also become a legitimate gender identity too, for AI and the like.

Equating transhumanism and being transgender is pretty gross. People get murdered over being trans ("trans panic" is even a repugnant attempted excuse for murder), gender dysphoria is intensely unpleasant, and trans people have way higher suicide rates than cis people. None of that applies to transhumanists. At all.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Regallion posted:

Please note that the reply was in the context of the mod where it already happened. Notice that it also obsoletes marriage, day cares and clothing, which certainly implies the above-mentioned changes.

Fair enough, I seem to have misread your intent there.

Regallion posted:

IRL we ain't gonna hit transhumanism for a while and it's possible that LGBT might become normal enough before then, that pride parades would lose their relevance. Unlikely to happen for a few generations, but hey, we can hope. What transhumanism would actually be, who knows.

Don't be too sure of that. Where I live, pride is among other things a large street-party, which all kinds of people attend. Families with children, colleagues who arrange to attend as a contingent from their company, and so on. On more LGBT-specific matters, they have free seminars on all kinds of things, from gender roles to ideological concerns to "Anal: how to".

The party-part of a pride parade may well linger on, even if there's no particular political need, or bodies have change enough that practical sex-advice is no longer relevant.

Regallion posted:

Not untrue, but remember, by that point you are operating in nanite swarms and mind uploads. At that point, the activities that are pleasurable are defined by you, not your body, which is one heck of a thing to think about. But basically, while there would certainly be people who would make it pleasurable, i wonder just how widespread it would be if "sex is pleasurable" is not longer true by default for most of the population.

If it's a bit unclear, imagine that instead of sex you could climax from just handholding (yes, your partner too). Would there even be a point in opting in for the whole process?

I think I see your argument that what is pleasurable can be reprogrammed, but I don't think it follows that people necessary would. My impression is that people tend overall to prefer the familiar, so without outside impetus I find it unlikely that most would venture too far from the then-current norm. I think this mod, and transhumanist fiction in general, overestimates the extent to which people are neophiles and/or xenophiles. Even if it's easy to have the body of a tank, or a nanoswarm, or an eagleman or whatever, I don't think most people would want to be. At least not for extended periods of time.

Regallion posted:

Note that i did not say that it would go away. Quite the opposite, i stated that in absence of sex, it's quite likely that the amount of genders will only increase, with people being attracted to subsets of genders.

I suppose that is possible. But to be frank, gender roles have a rather tenuous connection to ones physical sex as-is. If someone thinks of themself as male or female, I expect any change of body would reflect that self-image, rather than erode it. So long as the population is primarily human(-origin), I would expect male and female (whatever a person or society ascribes to those two) to remain far more common than other genders.

Regallion posted:

Goodness no, i did not equate them. Especially not in the present.

What i was saying, is that when transhumanism hits, the ability to inhabit whatever body you want will necessarily mean that everyone is not in their baseline body and thus "trans" of a sort.
I re-iterate that the entire above statement used "Transhumanism and absolute body modification is already something that exists" as a presupposition, it has no bearing on the current situation.

As I hope I've explained, I don't think a move towards transhuman bodies need result in particularly pronounced changes to sexuality and gender. I acknowledge that that does seem like the assumption the mod goes with.

I suppose it is still less nonsensical than the health/crime system, which can cause situations where you don't need a dentist because you just built a sewer, and you don't need police because you've built a daycare and a youth center.