Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
B

Culture and Border expansion don't seem like huge priorities at this point and could probably be picked up 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm curious if there's Ritual Sacrifice (eventually) as another alternative means to "consume" captured units.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
rear end Magus Quest when?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME
Industrious and :sparkles:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Let's get these outta the way: Pupper, Doggo, Doge, Woofer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope this mod allows us to upgrade the dogs to robodogs, cyberdogs and mechadogs as we progress up the tech tree.

That reminds me. We need a dog friend named Dogmeat

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We need to get our rhino mounts to shoot energy rocks like this absolut unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ2jhMrHuf4

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I would say bears because bears, but rhinos are available now and are bloodthirsty berserkers that don't stop until their army is dead....with splash.

No, those are hippos.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
C All, shall worship the gods of Mesopotamia.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
1. Birds are jerks.

2. Being a financial black hole for a while will suck, but that's typical with any city take over I think. That said, it's basically access to a bunch of resources that you wouldn't get access to until you could start building new cities. I'd say it's an overall boon, though mostly a wash in the long run. Having extra culture access also gives you flexibility and more options which can be good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Positive: Imperialist

Negative: Foreigner

idk what either of these do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The great Khan understood the benefits of multiculturalism and diversity in his empire. Teach the Rhinelander the same.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Let's kill Hitler.

We'll have plenty of time to kill Hitler.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So we're gonna let these Hominids live for now, right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
C. Keep reaching out and maybe touching someone, but not too far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the big flaws with Civ that's basically perpetual is the snowballing that occurs as a human player. Difficulty mostly gives the AI a leg up at the start along with some other bonuses to them and maluses to the player, but it's basically just a steeper hill to climb before you dominate the AI and when.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I don't know what Innovative does, but I pick that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Is that Building Brazil? What?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

It'll probably get better once you reach space and beyond, the units, techs, and civics are speculative at that point so there can't be nearly as many offensive things as when the game is centered around earth and its history.

Whether or not the game mechanics improve though is another question entirely.

One would hope but chuds can be futurists and their ideas are replicated there too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Native America minor civ alongside the Iroquois is weird.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Years of playing idle games makes me irked to see numbers of more than 5 or 6 digits not truncated in some way for ease of visibility and display.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The dirt path from the moon makes me wonder if there was a Space Elevator building/Wonder that was missed or just not built due to lack of usefulness. It seems like it'd fit in this kitchen sink of stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cyberpunk should've been the Punk between Dieselpunk and Biopunk where it's all Internet and digital stuff early (like the others) with bonuses for corporations. After that, punk loses all meaning since "-punk" stuff is often just retro-futuristic. Once you reach the future though, there's no futuristic to really project to with relatively retro technology.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jossar posted:

Funny enough, I think this used to be the case (well, after Atompunk), or at least Cyberpunk was further back on the tree. I have no idea why this got changed.

Oh right, I forgot Atompunk was a thing. Yeah it should be Steam->Diesel->Atom->Cyber->Bio (I guess)

Biopunk should also be stuff like programmable microbes and computers that use cells instead of chips. Purpose built grown soldiers and so on. But that's a minor quibble compared to everything else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mercury has the fewest building requirements, but I'd think it'd probably be the hardest to terraform out of the other Terran planets purely because it oscillates between being on fire and freezing cold as it rotates.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Falcorum posted:

It makes no difference at all, other than hearing a very faint "Oww" whenever you hit the earth. :v:

All of the non-mongolian humans are effectively the same as animals to the planet. The tilling of soil and the quarrying of earth would be no more distressing than plants expanding their roots or moles digging tunnels.

That there aren't alien/space barbarians is slightly meh and also that I guess the science bonus scaling for civs to research already discovered tech isn't higher.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's the next wall of the map.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Stuff like crime units and espionage needs to get shifted out to the third or fourth Eras. All of this unit stuff seems extra gratuitous as well since there's not even a proper skeleton that goes from one end of the scope to the other. There's a lot os subsystems that want to be included, but the core facets of the game aren't even implemented properly to the very end. The post mentions AI fixes and frankly, that's extremely necessary. Base game AI is not bright and extending the scope of the game long past the original dev intention requires a more finely crafted AI to keep up with such a long game. It can't be too dominating or else it smothers the player in its crib and it can't be too passive or the Player does it instead. Catch-up mechanics usually help mitigate this as it lets the player keep pace as the AI flies ahead with what advantages it starts out with due to difficulty settings and conversely, it lets the AI be at least competitive against each other, but from this play through, they're pretty much worthless. There's a lot of other subsystems that seem to be involved and want to be worked on, but without a firm foundation, it's like putting alloy rims on a car, but all of the tires are flat. It's work for the sake of work and just a bit self-masturbatory. Obviously there's also an issue of design by committee which throws a spanner into the works, but that's generally solved by having a clearly focused target design and a plan for what the end result will look like without deviation or having scope creep festering throughout the project. Basically Project Management 101 stuff.

Ostensibly, development should've started by expanding the base game stuff to the Transcendent era and making sure that the AI playing against a typical player can get there or close to it. Probably even before that is just adding the Space layer to the game and making sure that works with the base game and how it interacts with the "Earth" and then moving on with that. That's roughly the core structure of what a mod like this should be. I don't think it ever got there before they started adding other stuff that was secondary to the core goal. Of course, this plan means that the early game would drag very hard as players would have to scrape their way to even getting their first settler, but that's part of the point presumably. Once the core is settled, then filling out the bones of each era to make them interesting can happen.

Civics are a funny thing though since, just looking at how they've progressed, they go from slightly linear expand out maybe one or two layers and then contract forever. It's not clear if there's an actual idea of how a given player is supposed to progress through them. If the current behavior is intended, then when they contract again, it should be clearly superior to all of the branches. If it's not, then there's something wrong. You don't need to playtest to understand that. That's fundamental design. The point of playtesting is to check if the numbers and programming actually work when hooked into the rest of the game and to make sure it's "fun" and "meaningful." It's otherwise just masturbation. Ostensibly, Civics should also roughly correlate to an intended era or set of eras as part of design planning and find themselves wholly obsolete, not by a tech forcing it, but because the more advanced Civic is a clearly better choice. Otherwise you get the loving Gold Standard thing basically being kept despite having researched techs that would presumably allow for infinite gold or whatever material the currency is pegged to.

And this isn't even getting into the nitty gritty on the actual mechanics and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That Science Victory was poorly thought out relative to the techs involved.