Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Julius CSAR posted:

I think it’s fairly obvious

You got owned by a buncha senators with knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Serious answer it was Germanicus even tho he never got to be emperor

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

I think it’s fairly obvious

Sorry, but this is the thread for emperors :agesilaus:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

For everyone who is laughing at Elagabalus tiny dick: that is almost one hundred percent on purpose. The Gobbler had some ideas about his gender and would probably be considered trans in this day and age.

yeah it would be super sad really if he didnt murder all those people

he was the first emperor to let women into the senate also

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've actually been listening to the history of Rome podcast lately so I'll give the smug rear end in a top hat answer; the Praetorians, since they were the true power behind the throne :agesilaus:.

As an actual answer, Domitian sounds like he got a way worse rap than he deserved mostly because he didn't butter up to the rich assholes in the senate, who wrote the history afterwards. He had a lovely early life, his dad and brother barely paid any attention to him and he was treated like a political trophy in the year of the 4 emperors, he was a goony shut in most of his life that nobody thought would amount to anything and at best people thought he would be actively dangerous as Emperor. Despite this he was actually a really competent administrator, especially when it came to the empires financial footing, who was hugely popular with the common man and the rank and file soldiers seemingly because he put effort into infrastructure, payment and social policies without giving heed to whatever the windbags in the Senate said. He was pragmatic about defending the empires borders, building strong fortifications in the gap between the Danube and Rhine, although his cautious policy towards Dacia was a source of controversy. He was damned as a tyrant later for his paranoia about threats to his life which led to predictable outcomes towards people who looked at him wrong, but this was based on actual real threats on his life that ended up proving his paranoia was perfectly vindicated what with him getting killed by a senatorial conspiracy. Despite this he was still popular for years after his death with most of the citizens of the empire which led to uproar, and lots of misery for his successor, Nerva, who at one point was literally besieged by his own Praetorians until he agreed to prosecute Domitian's killlers (among other reasons). Of course Nerva's only real quality was the fact that he named Trajan the next emperor.

All in all, you wonder how much Domitian might have laid the groundwork for the five emperors.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arrhythmia posted:

For everyone who is laughing at Elagabalus tiny dick: that is almost one hundred percent on purpose. The Gobbler had some ideas about his gender and would probably be considered trans in this day and age.

While true, I think classical sculpture in general considered tiny dicks to be a good sign.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Just let people laugh at the statues with babydicks you nerds. :colbert:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I know nothing about Roman history.

Did they really call him the gobbler

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Honky Dong Country posted:

Just let people laugh at the statues with babydicks you nerds. :colbert:

"yeesh dude"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

I know nothing about Roman history.

Did they really call him the gobbler

No.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
weak

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That name fell out of my mind like fifteen minutes ago and to the best of my knowledge is the first time he's ever been called it in history.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*In hushed tones* "Hey Septimus...pssht....pssht hey hey Septimus....this guy doesn't realize that smell he's complaining about is my foreskin." *snorts, stifling a snicker*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
honkus tonkus

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

That name fell out of my mind like fifteen minutes ago and to the best of my knowledge is the first time he's ever been called it in history.

It’s a good one, and I will use it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

look edward gibbon made stuff up too ok

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Procopius posted:

At that time they say that the Emperor Honorius in Ravenna received the message from one of the eunuchs, evidently a keeper of the poultry, that Rome had perished. And he cried out and said, 'And yet it has just eaten from my hands!' For he had a very large cock, Rome by name; and the eunuch comprehending his words said that it was the city of Rome which had perished at the hands of Alaric, and the emperor with a sigh of relief answered quickly: 'But I thought that my fowl Rome had perished.' So great, they say, was the folly with which this emperor was possessed.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

SimonCat posted:

Lyndon Baines Vespasian was my favorite. He used to lecture the Senate while seated on the crapper, but liked togas because they gave plenty of room "down where my nuts hang."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR_myjOr0OU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lmao the burp

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Maximinus Thrax was a giant and also a complete dick. You'd think that being 7' would get you some respect but he got utterly owned by his own praetorian guard after 3 years because he wouldn't stop invading poo poo out of boredom and killing people who didn't seem "trustworthy" on a whim.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

13Pandora13 posted:

Maximinus Thrax was a giant and also a complete dick. You'd think that being 7' would get you some respect but he got utterly owned by his own praetorian guard after 3 years because he wouldn't stop invading poo poo out of boredom and killing people who didn't seem "trustworthy" on a whim.

Lol I was going to do thrax but I couldn’t think of anything he didn’t do to himself. Anyway I’ll post a bunch more terrible histories tomorrow

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Basil II, Little Caesar (Pizza Pizza,) or Tim-Bob.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

13Pandora13 posted:

Cool name though

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Hmm.... it's a tossup between Pupienus and Balbinus

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Whorelord posted:

Cool name though

oh yeah definitely, I'm pretty sure he was looking for infinity stones

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

These old dudes are ripped. But still doesn’t compensate for 2 inch dongs.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i like gordian i because, lol:

quote:

[His elevation to emperor] happened that on the day these events occurred (the killing of the tax collector) Gordian was at home resting, enjoying a brief respite from his labors and duties. Accompanied by the entire band with drawn swords, the youths (those who had killed the tax collector) overpowered the guards on duty at the gates and burst into the house…. Standing around him, they draped him in a purple cloak and greeted him with the imperial honors.

Confused, the newly proclaimed emperor threw himself on the floor, begging for his life. After being reassured of their intentions, he was given a stern warning by one of the youths. “…death awaits you this very day if you decide against us and refuse to join us, and we shall die ourselves, if need be, after we have killed you.” [...] Without delay, a message was forwarded to the Roman Senate who approved [Gordian and his son] both as co-emperors.

[...] Capellianus, governor of Numidia and an ally of Maximinus, was angered by the Senate declaring his friend an enemy of the state and mobilized his legions to march on Carthage. The governor’s troops were too much for the small militia defending Carthage. In the skirmish Gordian II was killed. When he received word of his son’s death, the elder Gordian became distraught and hanged himself. The date was May 12, 238 CE. They had served only twenty-two days.

old guy gets elevated by an angry mob that threatens to kill him and his family if he doesn't accept, only for him and his family to get killed three weeks later by an invading army

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

other good options:

- caracalla: murdered his brother in front of his mother and then tried to purge him from history
- justin ii: had his servants build a throne with wheels. as contemporary accounts put it, "having placed him on [the throne], his chamberlains drew him about, and ran with him backwards and forwards for a long time, while he, in delight and admiration at their speed, desisted from many of his absurdities."
- commodus: got angry that people didn't like his gladiator cosplay
- gordian iii: became emperor at 13 because all the adults got themselves killed

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 6, 2019

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

which one is an anime girl with her butt hanging out? because it's not that one.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, talked only in moonspeak with the really decipherable word being "umu" which was considered agreement. A vain glorious emperor, felt the need to walk around in a partially transparent dress. According to scholars she felt the greatest gift to her people was an unadulterated view of her underwear. Apparently the more useless enjoyed this but otherwise proved to be a major distraction to the day to day running of the empire, to the point that Rome's accountants forgot to pay the Imperial water bill after a particularly severe full frontal assault, leading the Great Fire of Rome. Eventually her secretary got so fed up he stabbed her to death, afterwards the history books were rewritten to make her a guy so that no future leaders get any ideas and replicate her antics.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
anime was punishable by death under the Roman Empire

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

*Praetorian Guard assassinates Commodus and installs Pertinax*

Pertinax: The praetorian guard is obviously in some serious need of reform.

*Praetorian guard kills Pertinax and parades his severed head through the streets attached to a lance*

(the praetorian guard then gave the title of emperor to Didius Julianas, the one mentioned in the OP who literally bought it. if you've forgotten: they killed him too a few months later)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

QuoProQuid posted:

- gordian iii: became emperor at 13 because all the adults got themselves killed
Gordian III wasn't even named Gordian till he was emperor and he didn't choose the name for himself. People at the time just really wanted an emperor named loving Gordian.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

*Praetorian Guard assassinates Commodus and installs Pertinax*

Pertinax: The praetorian guard is obviously in some serious need of reform.

*Praetorian guard kills Pertinax and parades his severed head through the streets attached to a lance*

(the praetorian guard then gave the title of emperor to Didius Julianas, the one mentioned in the OP who literally bought it. if you've forgotten: they killed him too a few months later)

make up ur minds jeez

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Gordian III wasn't even named Gordian till he was emperor and he didn't choose the name for himself. People at the time just really wanted an emperor named loving Gordian.

]

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Nero. Cause if poo poo's going to go wrong, it should at least be entertaining.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

As Nero Danced posted:

Nero. Cause if poo poo's going to go wrong, it should at least be entertaining.

Least surprising answer ever.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bodhidharma posted:

Hmm.... it's a tossup between Pupienus and Balbinus

Dammit beaten to the Poopy Anus joke. :argh:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

He also commissioned this statue for himself.

Can't believe I'm the first person to point this out, but we definitely know who this guy ISN'T

Alucard posted:

I'm a huge fan of Biggus Dickus

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Antoninus Pius

138 to 161.
Patron of the arts, sciences, religion, and philosophy. Made it a priority to build more aqueducts to ensure the people of Rome always had fresh drinking water (and built tons more across the empire).
Never fought a single war during the 24 years he was emperor. Last emperor to leave a surplus in the imperial treasury for his successor. Died of illness.
Perhaps most importantly, he tutored and mentored that successor... Who you may more instantly recognize.

Marcus Aurelious
161 to 180
Stoic, philanthropist, philosopher. Personally attended to several natural disasters that affected the people of Rome during his reign. Fought and won several wars despite a plague wiping out an estimated 1/3rd of his armies in some locations.
Revalued the currency.

quote:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

quote:

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
best was theodora thats right theres an "a" at the end of theordor. Not allowed within 500 feet of petting zoos or aviaries for reasons