Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FractalSandwich posted:

Not really. It's not communicated very well. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that there are three slightly different kinds of swords.

I can just tell you, if you like. Which characters are you interested in?

Well I was interested in Drossel but then I removed her from my party to make room for Ilmeria who I had a gun lying around for so it worked itself out

Speaking of which, I'm through boat town and am more excited than ever to keep accompanying Firis on her journey. I think I might just be broken because so far this game still seems quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Drossel is one of the ones who confused me, because she can use a spear or a greatsword for her subweapon - but not a regular sword. Those are for weaklings.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just stumbled into a postgame superboss while level 20

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I just stumbled into a postgame superboss while level 20

The Ice Spirit?

That's the one that got me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

The Ice Spirit?

That's the one that got me.

Palmyra

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
By the way, while there's no in-game benefit to getting all five of the letters, iirc you can't redo the letter quests once you finish the exam, so I guess make sure to do them before that if you want to

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/zoru0815/status/1095286388537253888

1. I can't imagine living without Firis. Firis-chan!!!!!!!
2. I heard Totori is here, but I wonder if it's true. Excuse me, can I ask you a question?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/zoru0815/status/1095286388537253888

1. I can't imagine living without Firis. Firis-chan!!!!!!!
2. I heard Totori is here, but I wonder if it's true. Excuse me, can I ask you a question?

I'm not expecting Nelke to be good but if it pulls out a miracle and manages to be then I will be very happy

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Poor Firis

She can gently caress off to an entirely different world and she still can't be free of her overbearing obsessive older sister

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

$65 with current exchange rates but probably going to be $70

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Immediately after crossing the lake I decided to go exploring in the hopes of finding my third letter of recommendation and set off to the north, for lack of any direction. It turned out north was an endgame zone, superbosses and all. I dodged the enemies, gathered endgame high quality ingredients, and started making busted bombs to be able to defeat the enemy formations, which would give me a full level up every encounter. This was a really cool fun experience that you don't get much in any RPG. I'm off the "Firis is less bad than I expected" train and on the "Firis is legitimately great" train. The problems people mentioned are all there but in my eyes they wrap back around to strengths. Like the grindy crafting system of leveling up each recipe just means that you get to decide what you're good at instead of the game deciding for you. The party members besides Ilmeria and Liane basically don't exist that's true but they're all boring and I didn't want to talk to them anyways. It's a very different experience than most Ateliers but I think Gust mostly nailed it, about as well as you could expect a studio of their size to ever nail such an ambitious project.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kmame_at/status/1095885302529290240

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I think this artist has the wrong read on Firis, her love of food should be overriding her discomfort at being dressed up and posed by Liane (who is manning the camera off screen)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i somehow never made the connection until now that firis was a mis-transliteration of phyllis i thought it was just a weird made up name

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Suelle's initial spelling was Soeur

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just passed my Alchemy exam and the credits are playing. I might be the only person in the world who thinks this but Atelier Firis rules. Probably my favorite of the Mysterious trilogy.

I'm assuming that despite the credits playing there's an extensive postgame which should be considered part of the main game despite being after the credits? Based on what people have said in the past.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes. I suggest pursing LIane's story first.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I just passed my Alchemy exam and the credits are playing. I might be the only person in the world who thinks this but Atelier Firis rules. Probably my favorite of the Mysterious trilogy.
The Mysterious games are the only ones I've played. Of those, I think Firis is the most interesting, and it's the only one I've finished, and it's probably the only one I'd care to replay. So I guess it must be my favourite too.

Life without Corneria sure is tough, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

wait until he sees the twins

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

do i need to get to the final adventurer rank in Totori to beat the game, or just build the boat? it's a pretty huge jump in points

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tales of Woe posted:

do i need to get to the final adventurer rank in Totori to beat the game, or just build the boat? it's a pretty huge jump in points

You need to be able to build the boat. The final rank (Galaxy?) unlocks some optional superbosses and things like that, but they're not required for any ending afaik

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

You need to build the boat and then actually sail to your destination (which takes up days, building the boat just open up new world map locations). The final adventurer rank is just for postgame superbosses I think

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh Lucia is DLC, that explains a lot. I kept waiting for her to join the party since she follows them around everywhere, and was really surprised when the party filled up and she still wasn't in it. Too bad, at least she keeps getting lots of screentime.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Huge fan of the series. Looking forward to Nelke though it will likely be bad. Of the modern games I loved the Dusk series the most, really dislike the Mysterious series and only like the Arland series. Mana Khamia and Iris 2 are likely my favorites of the non-core series. Not really looking forward to more Arland though, honestly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The lack of difficult monsters in L&S is starting to get annoying. I've got a full party now, give me a chance to pull out all the stops and just go nuts on something!

I miss being able to summon bosses at will like in E&L and Shallies

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

The lack of difficult monsters in L&S is starting to get annoying. I've got a full party now, give me a chance to pull out all the stops and just go nuts on something!

I miss being able to summon bosses at will like in E&L and Shallies

If nothing else, you can always up the difficulty from the menu.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

If nothing else, you can always up the difficulty from the menu.

...........oh right, that's a thing

thanks for saving me from my stupidity :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Enemies drop better items on higher difficulties too so you get more cool things to play around with too. If you can handle it it's win-win

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

you should also be getting requests to fight mini-bosses (who you can go back and fight at anytime after finishing the request) from the notice board

though i dunno how many were actually really difficult, given my metric of "did i need all eight of firis' follow-up skills plus the full buff/debuff setup to do the job"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Lydie & Suelle DLC areas have super bosses. I'm still dodging enemies because my party gets wiped regularly.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1097858341022371846

There's the preorder stuff for Nelke

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of postgame and Firis, I'm starting to transition into making busted poo poo in Atelier Firis and I dunno who thought the resonance traits were a good idea but sure I'll stick Resonance All: Truth on all 19 of my equipment slots why not. I'm sure there's at least one boss who expects that level of stats in the game

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Is any of the Lydie and Sue DLC compelling? I'm enjoying the game but it all seems extremely expensive

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nrook posted:

Is any of the Lydie and Sue DLC compelling? I'm enjoying the game but it all seems extremely expensive

It's not particularly great. Get the characters if you like them, maybe. Avoid the pass, it's wildly overpriced and you should only get it if you want to hand Gust a big cartoon sack of money.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Claudel Prarie DLC adds a couple extra Firis/Ilmeria events and talking to the people standing around you get information on what some of the side characters from Firis are doing.

The Blue Reflection and Nights of Azure maps alone don't add any story content, but the additional real world maps that open up become a source of rarer ingredients.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks, sounds like I'll continue to cheap out. It's what Lydie would do.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I bought Lucia as a DLC character back when she was first released and to this day I don't have a good handle on how to use her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I ever replay L&S I'll get the character DLC but realistically I'll wait until the Mysterious trilogy gets Plus versions to replay any of them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1097979998122631168

there's a lulua demo on switch for famitsu subscribers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

looks like they really improved Switch performance since L&S based on his video clips of the field areas there